Half of What I Could Be

By RoseClark777

Greek mythology...Werewolves...Demons? I got you Four hundred years ago, a woman thought she had no other cho... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
FILLER
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chap 28
Chap 29
Chapter 30 and 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43

Chapter 23

80 7 0
By RoseClark777

Chapter 23: Mae

My hands attempted to rip the wrapper open, but it wouldn't budge. Either my fingers were too nubby or they super glued this bitch together. For my pride, I decided to settle on the latter.

Finally after what felt like hours, I finally opened the package and popped a Starburst into my mouth.

"You know you have to pay for those before you eat them," Jacin said to me as he opened one of the many glass doors to the refrigerated shelf of Pop and water. He grabbed a Pure Leaf Tea.

"I'm still going to pay for them, I was just dying of starvation," I claimed as I popped another one in my mouth, this time it was the yellow one.

"So instead of getting a nutritious meal, you settled for starbursts?" he questioned as he raised an eyebrow.

"Dude, we are in a gas station with such a lack of options that the EZ Mart at home would be appealing right now," I claimed as I motioned to the whole store. He knew I was right. The EZ Mart at home was only a few notches down from our local Walmart, but still this gas station really did lack in the food department.

I guess I probably shouldn't call it a gas station. I feel like a "multipurpose facility" might be more accurate. On one side of the store, there were clothing articles for sale, all of which said "Burlesque," but the first 'u' was made into a heart. On the other side, there was a diverse selection of camping gear. I shouldn't have been surprised, as Burlesque's main tourist trap was hiking "Mount Olympus."

Jacin and I were currently on the side of the store that had three glass door refrigerators, two for beverages and one for eggs, an array of candies, and cheetos. Not Doritos or sun chips... Just Cheetos.

At least they got their priorities in check.

We drove into town about 20 minutes ago. After a few minutes of me pestering Jacin on where Katelyn lived, he finally admitted that he had no idea. He only knew she lived in this town. Of course I freaked out as this was a key piece of information he should have shared with me from day one. We could spend days trying to track her in this town. He decided that it would be best for us to pull over into "Burlesque Shop Mart & Gas" to let me calm down and eat as he was scared I was going to turn into Jack Jack from the Incredibles, fire monster and all.

I must say that feeding me was a smart move. I do get a bad case of the Hangries every once in a while. Even only two starbursts in, and I felt my mood raise a little. Yet, I knew it was only a matter of time before Jacin found a way to ruin it.

We completely ignored whatever our little hormone induced rendezvous was. I, for one, was not proud of it. I felt disgusted with myself. Not having done anything sexual with a guy in the past, and having my first experience in a dingy motel was not great. Also, it was not the best that we just blatantly touched ourselves right next to each other. The whole incident seemed out of my control. It was like a teenage boy took control of my thoughts and actions. Well, I guess a teenage boy did get me all hot and bothered. I always expected my first anything to be "cute" or "romantic." Having my first kiss grinding against a guy at a club while drugged up and having my second encounter in a motel was not great.

As we walked to the register to pay, I grabbed a bag of cheetos. This earned a glare from Jacin.

"Don't give me that look. I treat my body like a temple," I rebuked.

"Yeah, a temple made of cheese and overly processed foods," he claimed. After the whole "Monster-Attack-Motel-Incident," we've both been a little fidgety, as one would be.

We were both confused as to what was happening to my body. Was the wolfsbane somehow laced with something that gave me powers? Or was this all linked to my unknown past and parentage? Both?

We were able to make it out of the motel with all of Jacin's stuff. What about my stuff? You may ask. Obliterated, destroyed, ravaged... That stupid ass Demon ripped most of it into little pieces during the fight. I was able to save my phone, a tampon, and one lone pair of jeans (which I was now wearing with one of Jacin's long sleeved shirts to hide my rash).

Both the tampon and pajamas now resided in Jacin's bag.

The man running the register looked a lot friendlier than Motel Guy. This one was in his late teens with light caramel skin and a full head of dark hair. He was handsome. Right when we walked up to him, he smiled right at me. I was a little taken aback, as I'm not used to guys smiling at me.

We put our three items on the counter. The man, whose name tag dubbed him as Randy, eyed my half eaten package of starburst. Instead of glaring at me, he just smiled, "Someone's hungry I see."

"Starved," I smiled in response. I felt Jacin stiffen beside me.

"Well, there is a pub down the street that serves some mean mozzarella sticks. My uncle actually owns the place. Best and only restaurant in town." he advised. Randy was only looking at me. It was as if Jacin was completely invisible. Based on Jacin's rigidity, I could guess he noticed that too.

"Nice to know," I beamed, "I've been in need of some greasy food."

"What brought you into town?" Randy asked. Instead of allowing me to answer, Jacin butted his way in.

"How do you know we aren't from here?" Jacin asked, all weird and protective. Randy looked at Jacin and his eyes got wide. I didn't blame him, Jacin could be intimidating when he wanted too. Wolves are known to be protective creatures, but beside the weird masturbating on the floor incident, I really had no idea why his masculinity had to be on full display. It made me kind of annoyed, yet also kind of attracted to him.

"Uh, it's a small town. I kinda know everyone that lives here," he said confused and a little scared of the tall, jacked-up blonde in front of him. I just rolled my eyes.

"With how your eyes won't look away from her, I would have guessed you guys must have known each other," Jacin claimed as he crossed his arms. He was acting like a stereotypical jealous boyfriend.

"Uhhhh," Randy dragged out, confused on how this conversation took such a turn. Before Jacin could say something, I interrupted

"I am sorry about my, uh," I hesitated not knowing what to call Jacin. He wasn't my friend, lover, or even acquaintance. I feel like "hot yet hated enemy that I want to jump" would be too long to say, "...Travel Companion. I feel like all the steroids he's been taking really messed up his testosterone," I continued as I patted Jacin's arm. He in turn glared at me, but didn't move from my touch, "So, you know everyone in this town?"

"Uhhhh, yes," he stuttered, still a little freaked out by Jacin. Randy's eyes barely looked at me anymore.

"Do you by chance know a Katelyn?" I asked. The opportunity presented itself, and I took it.

"Yeah, I know a few. Are you talking about Katelyn Clander or Katelyn Laseada?" He asked, as if I knew what Kate's last name was. I probably should have, but I didn't. So I just looked at Jacin for help.

"Katelyn Hampshire," Jacin said flatly. Even though he was being a Homeless Pencil right now, he came in handy.

"Hmmmm," Randy hummed thinking if he knew anyone by that name. He looked up to the sky, as if that magically would help him think better and faster, "I don't think I know anyone..." he trailed off, "Wait, are you talking about Crazy Kate?"

Yep. Of course the person we were looking for was nicknamed Crazy Kate. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with how much Demon Blood she drank.

"Yep, that's the one!" I said with a small smirk, "Do you by chance know her address or something. We're old friends."

Randy let out a huge laugh, as if what I said was equivalent to stand up comedy by Amy Schumer, "She doesn't have an address," he said through the chuckles, "She lives in the woods."

Jacin and I shared a confused look, "What do you mean she lives in the woods?" Jacin and I both asked at the same time.

"Crazy Kate lives in this little cabin about 12 miles into the woods, on the Mount. She usually only comes into town every few months or so, always to buy something weird. The last time she came to town, she wanted to buy a carrot. One, lone carrot. She threw a whole fit about having to buy a bushel of them, and not a singular one."

"Oh, well that's interesting," I claimed, not knowing what else to say, "How can we get to her?"

" Usually when anyone is going to visit her we have Brandon, or Head Park Ranger, drive them there on his 4x4."

"Okay, where is Brandon?" Jacin asked.

"Oh he's gone," Randy said, as if that was something we should have known since birth.

"He's dead?!" I asked. I feel like automatically thinking people were dead when the word "gone" was used was a sign I needed some sort of therapy.

"No, he's just in Alaska for the winter," he claimed quizzically.

"So how do we get there, then?" Jacin asked. By his tone, I could tell he was annoyed.

"With the terrain, it's about a day's hike to her house. We have a map you can purchase and some camping gear in the back," he explained as he pointed to the back of the store, as if I hadn't already noticed the huge array of camping gear.

"And there is no other way there?" I asked. I love a walk as much as the next person, but a 12 mile overnight hike was not anything in my skill set.

"Nope, not unless you want to wait for Brandon to get back in February," he shrugged. Wait a month or go on a hike? My whole body screamed for me to just wait, but with the rash spreading, I knew I needed answers fast.

I let out a big sigh, "Okay, I guess I'll go look at the hiking stuff," I mumbled. Right when I was about to turn around, seemingly ending the conversation, Randy just had to open his mouth.

"Would you by chance be free for dinner or something when you get back?" Randy asked me.

Before I could even answer, Jacin butted in, "No, she is not," he borderline yelled as his face took on a red color. He took a step toward the counter.

"Wait, are you guys together or something? I didn't mean to intrude. I thought you said he was just your travel companion," Randy said as he took a step back from the counter and raised his hands in the air in a surrender.

Before Jacin could say anything, I grabbed his wrist and started to pull him away, "No, we are not together in that way," I claimed. I knew I wouldn't go on a date with Randy, but part of me was enjoying getting Jacin mad, so I couldn't help myself with what I said next, "And sure, why not? I would love to go to dinner with you when we get back," I chimed with a smile. Randy gave me one in return, but Jacin just stiffened up under my hold. I looked at him and noticed him staring into blank space with anger chiseled into every feature. Instead of saying anything, he ripped his wrist out from my hold and walked back to the camping stuff. I think I pushed it too far.

"So what's your number?" Randy asked, but I wasn't paying attention to him anymore.

"Wait one sec," I said half heartedly, and walked over to Jacin, who was going through all the tents. I took a few more steps toward him and could feel the tension radiating off of him like UV rays.

"I don't know why you're all mad. It's just a date and you're not my brother or boyfriend so you don't have any right to get all mad at me," I bickered at him.

He didn't say anything, just kept shifting through the tents. The silent treatment, great. Instead of staying silent and ending it there, I kept jabbering on, "I just don't understand you! One minute you hate me, the next you..." I pause not knowing how to phrase my words, "Seduce me. Now you decide to get all weird and protective. It's not my fault that you are getting all jealous." I claimed as I crossed my arms.

In a flash, he turned to me, "I'm not jealous, and you were the one who seduced me. I just think you're stupid for wanting to go on a date with a man child who works at a gas station and probably has slept with the whole town. He obviously just wants to get in your pants," Jacin whisper yelled at me, taking me aback a little. I seduced him?

"How would you know if he wanted to get into my pants! You're a werewolf, not a mindreader!"

"It doesn't take a genius to figure out what he wants. He was staring at you like you were a fucking platter!" He screamed back. I'm pretty sure Randy could hear us at this point. His face was still red and my arm rash started to tingle again.

"He was not! He was being nice and helping us check out! Without him, we wouldn't know where Katelyn was!"

"How blind are you? He was checking you out! I'm starting to wonder if you're just oblivious or stupid!" He yelled back. My arm began to burn again.

"I'm only oblivious to guys checking me out because of you! I'm used to looks of pity and disgust because of you! I'm used to not talking to guys because of you! I'm not something you can control! You've ruined the last few years of my life, and I'd be damned if you ruined more!" I screamed, probably waking up everyone in this town. I grasped my arm, hoping to numb the pain. It was sad that I now have grown used to the burning sensation.

Jacin looked at me, letting my words register. For only a second, I could see guilt in his eyes. I felt my angry heart rate settle back to baseline.

"You can do better than him," he claimed

"I can do better than you," I retorted. I had no idea why I said that.

"I know," was all he said as he went back looking at the tents. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 4.9K 36
[COMPLETED - ONLY MINORLY EDITED] ******************************************************** Greek myths - true or false? They should be false, and to...
2.9K 40 31
Opal had a normal life. She considered herself to be invisible, irrelevant to the ones who mattered the most to her, so she shut herself off. She sto...
228K 12.2K 87
This is Book 2. Read Hades' Daughter before this one, if you haven't already. Scarlett's short time on earth has been eventful, to say the least, bu...
4K 412 55
Striking a deal with Death can have dangerous effect - especially when you end up in a love triangle with one of its reapers, while fighting for your...