The Spartans on Remnant (Halo...

By SpartanJ114

Two UNSC Spartans have crash landed on an unknown planet outside UNSC space onboard the wreck of the UNSC Win... More

Authors notes
Main Character General Background
Spartan 114's Armor and Weapons
Spartan144's Armor and Weapons
UNSC Winters Edge
Chapter 1 - The fall of Reach
Chapter 2 - Awakening
Chapter 3 - Beacon academy
Chapter 4 - Touring the Campus
Chapter 5 - Initiation
Chapter 6 - making friends
Chapter 7 - Settled in
Chapter 8 - Dinner with Weiss
Chapter 9 - Newcomers to Vale
Chapter 10 - Searching for Blake
Chapter 11 - The day before classes
Chapter 12 - Investigations
Chapter 13 - Extracurricular
Chapter 14 - Dancing Spartans
Chapter 15 - Choosing a Mission
Chapter 17 - The Vale Skirmish
Change logs
More change logs

Chapter 16 - Boots on the Ground

818 16 8
By SpartanJ114

As we arrive above Quadrant 5 it is immediately clear that the entire place is infested with Grimm.

Jack: (Over the coms)
"L. Z. is looking a little hot Dr. 144, why don't you go clear it out?"

Emmitt:
"it would be my pleasure 114"

Emmitt pov
I exited the co-pilot seat and entered the troop transport bay, grabbed my shotgun off the weapon rack and waited for the Rear doors to open up. Once opened I jumped out of the still airborne Pelican and landed boots first on top of a Beowolf, immediately after landing I put an 8 gauge buckshot shell into the closest grim I could see, after putting down the second grim I went into a monster killing spree, slaying any and all grim in the area and after no time the Landing Zone was Grimm free.

Emmitt:
"Sierra 144 to pelican J-216, Landing zone is clear of hostiles, over"

Jack:
"solid copy Sierra 144, handing Pelican J-216 controls over to Alea now"

Jack pov
"I give pelican flight controls over to Alea and jumped out of the pelican grabbing my DMR off my back as I fall, I land on the ground next to Spartan 144 and scan the area for hostiles with my gun raised as Oobleck and team RWBY'S airship flies in and hovers ready to drop off Oobleck and team RWBY. Oobleck is the first to exit the airship.

Oobleck:
"Exelent work both of you, now on to business, come along girls we don't have all day"

Weiss, Yang, Blake and Ruby all dismount from the airship and take on combat ready stances, Oobleck simply sips his coffee calmly as both the Pelican and the airship take off back towards Beacon.

Enmitt:
"it's quiet"

Jack:
"too quiet, keep your guard up"

Oobleck:
"Ladies, Gentlemen, you still may be students, but as of this moment, your first mission as Huntresses and Huntsmen has begun! From this point forward, you need to do exactly as I say! Do you understand?

The girls nod, but Oobleck suddenly looks towards Ruby, startling her.

Oobleck:
"Ruby! I thought I told you to leave all of your bags back at school"

Ruby:
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't.

Oobleck:
"She's not wrong... Very well, Ruby; leave your bag here, we can pick it up upon our return"

Ruby:
"But I, well uh-"

Oobleck:
"Young lady, what in the world could you possibly have in that bag that could be so important to bring it with..."

Dr Oobleck Stops mid sentence as the bag's zipper opens and out pops Zwei's head, causing everyone to stare at the enthusiastic dog.

Ruby: (Whispering to Zwei)
"Get back in the bag"

Zwei merely barks in response.

Oobleck:
"We're here to investigate an abandoned urban jungle teeming with death and hostility, and you brought... a dog?"

Ruby:
"I, uh..."

Oobleck:
"Genius!"

Oobleck backs away long enough for Ruby to give a confused shrug before speeding past and snatching the pet away from Ruby, who tumbles to the ground as Oobleck spins Zwei in the air.

Oobleck:
"Canines are historically known for their perceptive nose and heightened sense of sound, making them excellent companions for a hunt such as ours!"

Jack:
"Sir.. I"

Ruby:
"I'm a genius"

Emmitt:
"so.. What's with the dog?"

Yang:
"thats a long story"

Emmitt:
"I'm gonna need way more than that"

Yang:
"and you will get more, but later"

Blake:
"So, what are your orders, Doctor?"

Oobleck:
"Ah, yes, straight to the chase, I like it!  As you've been informed, the southeast area has been marked as a recent hot spot for Grimm activity. Now, there are several possible explanations for this behavior, one of which being... Grimm"

Ruby:
"Uh, what?"

Oobleck:
"Grimm. A creature of Grimm approximately one hundred yards from us at this very momment"

Yang:
"What?!"

Weiss pov
Without a second to spare Jack spins around and grabs for his rifle, aiming it directly at the Beowolf.

Jack:
"Target: single Beowolf Grimm, Range: 104 Meters away, weapons free for a precision kill"

Oobleck:
"Stop!"

Blake:
"Huh?"

Weiss pov
Everyone lowers their weapons except for Jack who still has his scope trained on the head of the Grimm

Oobleck:
"There are a number of reasons why Grimm will congregate in this particular area, the most likely of which will be their attraction to negativity: sadness, envy, loneliness, hatred. All qualities that are likely held by our hidden group harboring ill intent"

Ruby:
"So... What now?"

Oobleck:
"We wait. We track. If this specimen leads us to its pack, that pack may subsequently lead us to our prey"

Blake:
"How long do we wait?"

Oobleck:
"It's uncertain. Hours, days, weeks. Why, lone Grimm have been known to stay isolated from the pack for months - and there's the whole pack"

Jack:
"Additional contacts. Nine Beowolves"

Weiss:
"What?"

Oobleck:
"And now they've seen us"

Weiss:
"What?!"

Oobleck:
"AND NOW THEY'VE SEEN US!"

Ruby:
"I take it tracking them is out of the question?"

Oobleck:
"An accurate assumption, yes"

Yang:
"What's the plan, then?"

Oobleck:
"Show me what you're capable of"

Jack:
"Weapons free"

Weiss pov
Jack and Emmitt both immeadetly begin filing the pack of Beowolves with bullets as Yang runs towards the pack, ending with the fight by knocking it out in one fiery punch as they pass. Several stop chasing after the Yang to focus on Blake, who stands and waits with hand on her hilt until one of the Grimm swipes at her afterimage, the real deal slicing her would-be attacker in half before slashing through another and cutting down on one more.

Jack pov
Behind Blake, Weiss runs from several beasts before jumping in the air and taking one down with Myrtenaster. She dashes towards them with her rapier held high and slays four of them in a straight line until she stops. A wave of Beowolves are converging on Ruby, without missing a beat she shoots multiple bullets at the oncoming force after taking out the hoard she charges at the last Beowolf and cuts the single remaining Grimm in two.

Ruby:
"Heh. Piece of cake!"

Oobleck:
"Do not celebrate yet, for I am certain this is the first bout of many. Shall we continue?"

Jack pov
We move throughout the abandoned city killing many more Grimm as we go, Oobleck is seen investigating a plan for some unknown reason.

Oobleck:
"Excellent work, girls! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any signs of criminal operations in this sector. Oh, well! Moving on!"

Yang:
"Hey, Doc, y'know, I was actually looking forward to seeing a 'pro Huntsman' in action. Like, fighting, or at least, helping us fight?"

Oobleck:
"Ah, but I am in action! Scouring the ruins of this once-great city for any signs of irregularity! Not every mission is filled with daring and heroism, girls. Sometimes it's just a heightened form of extermination! Remember, this is a job, and you all signed up for it. I do hope you understand that"

Yang:
"Well, yeah... O-Of course!"

Oobleck:
"Hmmm"

Jack: (raising his DMR)
"more contacts, West, 462 meters. We should keep moving"

Oobleck:
"indeed"

Third person pov
Hours go by as team RWBY and the Spartans make their way through the abandoned city killing more and more Grimm

Emmitt pov
After we finished off another horde of Beowolves, Dr Oobleck walked over to myself and Yang.

Oobleck:
"Tell me, Yang: Why did you choose this line of work?"

Yang:
"Huh? Well, to fight monsters and save-"

Oobleck:
"No, that is what you do. I want to know why you do it. The honest reason as to why you want to be a Huntress"

Yang: 
"The honest reason? I'm a thrill-seeker. I want to travel around the world and get wrapped up in as many crazy adventures as I can. And if I help people along the way, then that's even better. It's a win-win, y'know?"

Oobleck:
"I see"

Emmitt pov
Oobleck walks off towards the rest of the group leaving myself and Yang alone.

Emmitt:
"a thrill seeker aye?"

Yang:
"well, yeah. I always have been"

Emmitt:
"I always had you picked you for an adventurous type"

Yang: (smirks)
"dont you know me so well"

Third person pov
Some time passes as the two teams and Dr Oobleck continue through the wreck of the city. Oobleck sits casually on a high windowsill while Jack and Weiss fight off Beowolves below.

Oobleck: And you, Miss Schnee? A girl born into fame and fortune such as yourself certainly doesn't need the extra work. So... why choose this over a cushy job in Atlas?

Jack pov:
Weiss impales the last foe with her blade Myrtenaster and drops the body before turning her attention to the Doctor.

Weiss:
"It's exactly as you said, I'm a Schnee. I have a legacy of honor to uphold. Once I realized I was capable of fighting, there was no longer a question of what I would do with my life. It was my duty.

Oobleck: (nodding)
"Interesting, and what about you Mr Keyes?"

Jack:
"Sir?"

Oobleck:
"why did you choose this line of work?"

Jack:
"Dr, I don't think you quite understand, I was born into a military at war, I went through brutal military training as soon as I could stand on my own two feet and when I turned 14 I went through an excruciatingly painful and invasive augmentation procedure that had a 33% chance of success. Sir there were 7 other Spartan candidates that I trained alongside, only myself and 2 others survived, Emmitt 144 and Euan 131. I wasn't given a choice Dr Oobleck, I was moulded into a super soldier out of necessity, to fight against the Covenant"

Oobleck:
"dosent sound very fair on you, or very ethical either"

Jack:
"was it ethical? Probably not Sir, but the important question is; was it worth the sacrifice to give humanity a fighting chance against a technologically superior foe? I'd argue it was worth it"

Oobleck:
"perhaps, but let me ask you this; now that you are here on Remnant, what will you do with your life? A life that is now your own and not controlled by the military you serve?"

Jack:
"I..."

Weiss pov
Jack looked as if he was going to reply at first but went quiet and lowered his head as if he was pondering Dr Oobleck's question.

Jack pov
Oobleck jumps down from the windowsill and makes his way over towards Blake. I look over to Weiss who looks somewhat saddened.

Jack:
"You okay Weiss?"

Weiss:
"it's just.. I hope I'm doing the right thing, for my family name"

Jack:
"I think you're doing great, your family should be proud of you"

Weiss:
"trust me, you haven't met my father if you believe that's true"

Jack:
"you've never actually talked about your father before now"

Weiss:
*sigh* "there's not much to tell, he dosent exactly support my decision to become a huntress"

Jack:
"I presume he would rather you be back in Atlas doing some comfy receptionist job"

Weiss:
"that about sums it up, yeah"

Jack:
"for what it's worth, I think being a huntress is right for you, you have amazing combat skills and I for one am glad you stuck with it"

Weiss:
"it's worth a lot, thank you Jack"

Jack:
"anytime, but we should keep moving forward"

Weiss:
"hold on a second, what about you?  Are you okay?"

Jack:
"I'm okay, I'm just... Thinking about what Oobleck said"

Weiss:
"talk to me, whats on your mind?"

Jack:
"all I've known my whole life is combat and war, and now I'm not really sure what to do"

Weiss:
"I want you to always remember that I've got your back, always"

Jack:
"I want you to know that you're the best thing that's happened to me"

Weiss: (blushes)
"oh stop it you"

Jack:
"shall we keep moving?"

Weiss:
"lead the way"

Weiss pov
I followed Jack back to the rest of the team, while we walked Jack scanned the area using the GPS on his right wrist while welding his Magnum in his left hand. We catch back up with the group to see Ruby holding
A whole turkey on the end of her weapon to tease a jumping and flipping Zwei with. That is, until she spots her Oobleck watching her, she quickly sheaths Crescent Rose.

Ruby:
"Sorry! Uh... Are we ready to keep going?"

Oobleck:
"Nope! I believe that will have to do for today. It's going to be dark soon"

Dr Oobleck continues to look at Ruby as he throws his bag over to Yang.

Oobleck:
"You four, set up camp in that building. Oh, and please do make sure there are no more of those... creatures. Your leaders and I are going to secure the perimeter. Come, Ruby, you two 114"

Emmitt pov
Jack removes his helmet and looks over to me with a look of uncertainty.

Emmitt:
"go, I've got things covered things here"

Jack:
"Copy that, good luck with setting up camp"

Emmitt:
"oh I do love a camping trip"

Jack:
"you've never been camping"

Emmitt:
"well no, not technically, but you remember that one time on the UEG colony planet of Ballast? The midnight operation we participated in with the Spartan III Headhunter unit? That was sort of like camping, right?"

Jack:
"I would hardly call that a camping trip"

Emmitt:
"there was a camp fire"

Jack:
"if by camp fire you mean the burning Covenant supply base we destroyed then yes, but I dont think I would consider that a camping trip"

Yang:
"now that sounds like an awesome story"

Emmitt:
"hell yeah it is, but we will have to go over it some other time, let's get this fire started"

Jack pov:
Emmitt, Blake, Weiss and Yang all enter the building that Oobleck ordered the campsite to be set up so I followed Ruby and Oobleck. Dr Oobleck leads us down the street and takes a right turn that leads to an opening in the city's outer wall overlooking the forest. The first thing I notice is the gigantic Mammoth looking Grimm walking off into the distance

Ruby:
"Whaaaa... What is that? It looks awesome!"

Oobleck:
"That, my dear girl, is a Grimm"

Jack:
"didn't need that PhD to figure that one out now did you Doc?"

Oobleck:
"Very funny Mr Keyes"

Ruby stares at the lumbering mass of monsters in amazement and awe before pulling out Crescent Rose in sniper rifle mode.

Ruby:
"Let's kill it"

Oobleck:
"I'm afraid your sniper rifle will do nothing more than agitate a Grimm of that size"

Ruby pov
"Jack pulls the Marksman rifle off his back and shoulders it.

Jack:
"I'm willing to bet a few mags of my armor piercing rounds could take one of those down"

Ruby:
"But... What if it attacks us?"

Oobleck:
"Fret not, Ruby, those Goliaths are not concerned with us. Ruby, not every Grimm is mindless, or rather not every Grimm is still mindless. You see, the Grimm you see before you are so powerful, so superior to the Grimm you fought, that they've undoubtedly lived hundreds of years, and in that time between killing humans and attacking our borders, they have done one important thing: They've learned. They've learned that when they attack our borders, they're likely to die, and what we lack in strength, we make up for in will, and that killing one human will only bring more"

Ruby:
"Then why are they still so close to the city? What are they doing?"

Oobleck:
"Waiting"

Oobleck turns around and walks away, as he does so, Ruby puts away her weapon but dosent move.

Ruby:
"Doctor Oobleck?"

Oobleck:
"Hmm?"

Ruby:
"I was wondering..."

Oobleck:
"Wondering why I've been interrogating your teammates all day?"

Ruby:
"A-Actually, I was wondering... Why did you want to become a Huntsman?"

Oobleck:
"Look around and tell me what you see?"

Ruby:
"Lots of old buildings, uh, empty streets..."

Oobleck:
"I see lives that could have been saved. As a Huntsman, it is my job to protect the people, and although I am capable of doing it with traditional weaponry, I believe I can make a much larger impact if I do it with my mind. As a teacher, I'm able to take knowledge, the most powerful weapon of them all, and place it in the hands of every student that passes through my classroom. I look at this wasteland, and I see lives that could have been saved, but I also see an opportunity; an opportunity to study these ruins and learn from this tragedy, and therefore become stronger. I am a Huntsman, Ruby, because there is nothing else in this world I would rather be"

Oobleck turns away and begins walking back towards camp so Ruby and I followed close behind. After a short walk back we arrive at the building and Oobleck rushes inside ahead of us.

Oobleck:
"Ah, wonderful. a textbook campfire!"

Ruby:
"Fire! So... warm..."

Oobleck:
"Very good! Eat your dinners and hurry to bed. We have a lot of ground to cover tomorrow and we'll need you to take turns keeping watch over our temporary abode. Any volunteers for first watch?"

Ruby:
"Yo"

Jack:
"I can keep watch if you like Ruby, Spartans can go up 2 weeks without sleep if need be"

Emmitt:
"god knows we didn't get much sleep during the fall of reach"

Jack:
*sigh* "don't remind me"

Ruby:
"thanks but it's okay, I've got this"

Jack:
"as you wish"

Ruby begins walking to the lookout past as Yang stops her.

Yang:
"Hey, did Oobleck ask you why you wanted to be a Huntress? I mean... what did you tell him?"

Ruby:
"Hmm... No, he didn't. Weird. Oh, well. good night, guys!"

Jack pov
Without a second carefree thought, Ruby continues on her way. Yang looks disappointed in the lack of an answer. Blake is similarly troubled as she unrolls her mat, Weiss tries lying down but fails to sleep, Yang half-heatedly eats her dinner in silence.

Jack:
"if Ruby has watch duty covered, I'm going to get what little rest I can for tomorrow, if you need me for any reason, making any contact with the armor will active systems to awaken me"

Weiss pov
Jack sets his guns down and sits against the south wall in his full armor including helmet. I look over to him I see his visor darken out as his armor goes offline indicating that he is no longer conscious. I can't understand how he manages to fall asleep so quickly.

Jack pov:
I'm awaken quickly and suddenly by my armor as it detected contact against the armor plating. As my HUD  comes online I see the clock indicate that it's been 37 minutes since I went offline. I look down to see Weiss wrapped in her sleeping bag laying against my leg, she looks so peaceful. I calibrated my armor to factor in Weiss's movements, I stroked Weiss's hair softly as my armor readjusted and altered my body's chemical levels causing me to quickly fall back asleep.

Weiss pov
I layed against Jack's leg, it felt good to be close to him, but what is surprising is how warm his armor was, it was like laying with a heater nearby but I would have expected his armor to be cold, not warm. I know he woke up because he began stroking my hair briefly, he must have gone back to sleep as when he stopped stroking my hair I looked up to see that his visor was once again dark. I fell asleep soon after.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 46 24
Things were starting to get out hand in the World of Remnant. Creatures of Grimm attack closer to the borders of the kingdoms, people start to go mis...
25K 369 14
It's been 3 years since the Fall of Beacon. The students and teachers of the lost school have banded together to fight this new threat. But Y/N has s...
173K 2.1K 19
A UNSC frigate escapes from the remains of the planet Reach, using its Slip Space Drive to jump to a random location. Mid-jump, its drive fails, ope...
3K 60 27
The Beacon Academy fell and the group found itself divided. Krystal is on her way to Menagerie, and Night, Dragon, and Resare are in Vacuo, preparing...