ephemeral | unOrdinary x read...

By yoongicorn_93

In a hierarchical society, power determines everything. Those with great strength towered above all while the... More

note
β—‡1β—‡
β—‡2β—‡
β—‡3β—‡
β—‡4β—‡
β—‡5β—‡
β—‡6β—‡
β—‡7β—‡
β—‡8β—‡
β—‡9β—‡
β—‡10β—‡
β—‡11β—‡
β—‡12β—‡
β—‡13β—‡
β—‡14β—‡
β—‡15β—‡
β—‡16β—‡
β—‡17β—‡
β—‡18β—‡
β—‡19β—‡
β—‡20β—‡
β—‡21β—‡
β—‡22β—‡
β—‡23 β—‡
β—‡24 β—‡
β—‡25 β—‡
β—‡ 26 β—‡
β—‡ 27 β—‡
β—‡ 28 β—‡
β—‡29β—‡
β—‡30β—‡
β—‡31β—‡
β—‡32β—‡
β—‡33β—‡
β—‡34β—‡
β—‡35 β—‡
β—‡36 β—‡
β—‡37β—‡
β—‡38β—‡
β—‡39β—‡
β—‡40β—‡
β—‡41β—‡
β—‡42β—‡
β—‡43β—‡
β—‡44β—‡
β—‡45β—‡
β—‡46β—‡
β—‡48β—‡
β—‡49β—‡
β—‡50β—‡
β—‡51β—‡
β—‡52β—‡
β—‡53β—‡
β—‡54β—‡

β—‡47β—‡

4.2K 223 248
By yoongicorn_93

🎆 Chapter 47 🎆

"WAIT, IT'S HIM again!"

"Move, I wanna see!"

A large group of students huddled by the window, gasps erupting in every direction. Those who couldn't see the commotion pushed around the crowd on their tippy toes.

Out in the courtyard was a male student with the infamous Joker mask covering the entirety of his head. Today was the day he decided on pursuing his next victim, who happened to be Cecile, a renowned high tier at Wellston also known for being one of the strongest non-royal students.

As expected, the fight was completely one-sided. You couldn't even call it a fight. It was a thrashing.

The bleeding teal haired girl was repeatedly thrown onto the concrete wall by her own energy ropes.

Humiliated and defeated.

She hadn't felt like this since she was dethroned as Queen by Remi. Cursing through her coughs, Cecile barely managed to avert her eyes up at the taller male. John, aren't you done yet? How far do you plan on taking this?

Voice hoarse and weak, she announced, "T-that's enough...I admit def—"

Denying her any chance of speaking, Joker sent another dozen set of her own energy ropes at the fallen girl, piercing through her already battered skin. A-are you crazy John?! This is too much—! Mercy was a luxury she was denied.

That final attack was all it took for her to collapse unconscious on the asphalt.

"Holy shit!! He took down Cecile just like that!"

Everyone freaked out. They flinched in unison when the Joker stared directly at their window.

"Uh—why is he looking here?"

"What does he want from us?!"

"Wait—! He's looking at someone.."

On cue, the eyes' of the students followed John's gaze to find to see H/C hair and heterochromatic eyes.

"When the fuck did Y/N get here?!"

"Was she just standing in the corner the whole time?"

"This means we're saved, right?"

"Y/N, you got this! Take down the Joker before he hurts anyone else!"

Her two-colored eyes shifted around shyly like a young deer caught in a spotlight. "H-huh?" She asked innocently, long eyelashes fluttering up and down as she fidgeted with her fingers. For a short moment, the students around her melted in endearment. She was too adorable. But they quickly reminded themselves back to reality.

"Joker just destroyed Cecile down in the courtyard!"

"Look at him, he's provoking you! I bet you were his next target!"

"You have to go stop him!"

"Yeah!"

"..Oh, so that's what this was about...I-I'll give it my best shot!" They were in awe of her determined and heroic mindset. Indeed, she was an angel that had descended from heaven to help them.

One student with a telekinesis ability helped Y/N soften her fall as she hopped down from the window. The H/C glanced back up to give them an appreciative smile that made the young girl squeal to her friends. This action seemed to make Y/N laugh sheepishly.

I want to rip your pretty little mouth off—

"Joker," Y/N cleared her throat and declared, "Your reign of terror ends today. These despicable acts of yours have gone too far. Why are you involving innocent people? They've done nothing to you."

The mysterious Joker merely stood in place, eyes trained on the girl. As per usual, he didn't say a word. His calm and collected aura intimidated those spectating around them. Indeed, he was on a different level from the rest.

Abruptly, he threw a wave of energy ropes at Y/N, who just barely dodged with a shaken look on her face.

Anyone could tell that she was scared.

"Poor Y/N," One female classmate sympathized, tears forming at her eyes. "We have to rely on her to defeat Joker."

"She's so brave!"

"Even though she's been going through a hard time, she's risking it for our sakes!"

"Go Y/N!"

A chorus of cheers erupted from the crowd, chanting for the transfer's victory.

Wow... John scoffed amusedly beneath his mask. You sure know how to put on an act Y/N. I'm impressed.

Running at him with speed he knew she was holding back, she aimed directly for his solar apex to which he maneuvered around without difficulty. He then returned an energy rope that was mere inches from her face. From what everyone knew, that was his advantage. Y/N couldn't use her abilities, but Joker could freely use his to any extent.

They continued trading hits, dodging and attacking in an endless cycle. The intensity of the battle heightened the nerves with each passing second.

But John knew they were both half-assing this fight.

Her moves were ridiculously basic and easy to read, like a novice who barely trained in their life. Behind her struggling trembles, there was a dull look of boredom in those hazy eyes.

Then it happened.

In that split millisecond, something clicked and her entire posture changed. An animalistic grin snapped on her lips and she swung her leg with incredible speed and force, the sheer impact indenting the concrete into shambles.

"Woah!"

"Where did that kick come from?!"

"I couldn't even see it!"

"And she isn't using an ability?!"

What the fuck was that? John furrowed his eyebrows cautiously. That could've seriously injured me. What is she doing?

He paused, seeing the look she had on her face. A deep sense of irritation twitched on his arm.

She was taunting him.

Are you really going to do this now Y/N?

Again, she charged at him full speed, doing a front flip in the process to avoid his energy ropes. Tension were rising at an alarming pace. Anyone could tell that the something about the fight was different than before.

Taking advantage of a weak point he left wide open, Y/N executed a round house kick on John's back, hard. It was going to leave a bruise.

A grunt left his mouth, and he gritted his teeth. She was too fast for him to catch.

Gathering every drop of strength he had, he aimed his punch in the middle of her gut. This may have been the first time he had attacked someone out of pure instinct and survival. At that point forward for John, everything happened in slow motion.

As if she read his mind, her flexible body had already prepared to dodge the punch with ease. Halfway through, she stopped completely, a small tug creeping on the side of her lips that only John could see at the time.

When he came back to his senses, Y/N flew back several feet, head and body harshly slamming into the same wall Cecile had endured earlier. A waterfall of blood poured down and covered half of her face, arms and legs dropping to her side like a puppet losing its strings. She was out cold.

Gasps of horror were heard in all directions.

"I-Is she dead?!"

"I didn't know ranking fights could go this far—!"

"Someone get a teacher!"

John breathed heavily, adrenaline still rapidly pumping through his veins. His fist was still pulsating violently, skin a bright raw pink.

...She let herself get hit at the last second. What was the point in taking it that far if you were going to do that anyways?

He watched silently as a few students scurried over and carried the two girls' unconscious bodies off to the school infirmary, one severely more injured than the other.

News of Joker's recent victories spread like wildfire.

-

Doc took a long, relaxing sip of his tea, savoring each calming drop that ran down down his throat. Fortunately, there hadn't been many incidents the past couple of days, so he could finally—

Slam!

"D-Doc!! Doc, we need your help! Doc—!"

Why did he take this job?

He stood up and opened his eyes, "What—"

And choked on his tea.

Five frantic students came running in carrying two unconscious blood-soaked female students, both of whom were high-tiers. One's entire head was almost drenched. They laid them down on the beds.

He recognized both of them. Y/N and Cecile. What the fuck—

"Please help them Doc! They just got defeated by Joker and they ended up like this!"

"It was awful! He had no mercy!"

"..."

Doc stared blankly at the bodies, ignoring the talking students. He then turned to them and sighed heavily, "...Alright, I'll take care of it. Now you guys can get out." With uneasy glances, they left the infirmary.

Cringing slightly, the tired blue haired man grabbed a moist towel and reached to wipe off some of the blood on Y/N's face.

A hand suddenly reached out and stopped him.

"Jesus, motherfucking—!"

"Don't bother, I can do it myself."

Y/N said coldly, sitting up casually and grabbing the towel that fell from his hands like a scene out of a horror movie. At that moment, every wound on her body also healed instantly with a flickering E/C glow in her left eye.

Holding his palm over his racing heart, he cursed, "You scared the fucking living daylights out of—"

"Oh. One second." She held up a finger.

"It seems I don't remember asking."

He moved to clean up Cecile's injuries, muttering something incoherently under his breath along the lines of, "Kids these days...no respect for their elders...tsk.."

If you didn't count the dirt stains and tears in her uniform, Y/N looked as though she had never gotten into a life-threatening fight just a few minutes earlier.

Doc gave her a questioning glance. "What was the point of getting carried all the way here looking like some sort of serial killer victim when you could've healed yourself instantly the entire time?"

"Because," Y/N's monotonous eyes fell on him, causing the hair on the back of his next to stand up. "That wouldn't be part of the plan, would it?"

"What plan—"

"Shut up. You're talking too much."

"Hey, you brat—" He bit his tongue in irritation. She wasn't paying attention anymore, so there was no point of lecturing her. Plus, he was too exhausted.

Y/N continued wiping off the excess red liquid on her arms and legs without a word. So that was John's full strength, huh?

She chuckled humorlessly, remembering his last attack. If that really was all he could do, then...

I'm disappointed.

After all, his punch had barely made her feel a thing. As expected, testing him was a waste of her time.

Taking Wellston over was going to be easier than she thought.

•••

I received another piece of fanart from @Marshall250

tysm for spending ur time to make this 😭😭
I've been informed that they have a book of short stories on their profile if you wish to check it out and support a fellow reader ;)))

things that have happened recently:

-been informed I'm starting online school at end of aug and in-school learning in January (wbu)

-solo leveling is back (JINWOO=DADDY)

-*may* or may not have started writing a new ff on—
(LOL not telling y'all yet but u can take guesses and I might give hints in the replies wHo knows)

-me crying over its okay to not be okay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50K 1.6K 23
Taking his fathers words to heart, John Doe returns to Wellston with the intention of expelling himself from the hierarchy; attempting to turn over a...
43K 1.3K 38
It's Arlo's birthday... and he has invited everyone in the school to his big party! But it turns out to not be just a simple birthday party. Arlo's c...
111K 2.5K 33
It's been almost a year and a half since John's old friend Ash had moved to america for her fathers job, she left at the wrong time as a week latter...
27.4K 933 32
(This story takes place in an alternate universe from the world of UnO, where the Royals of Wellston High are now the royals of the kingdom of Wellst...