Sword and Bond Dreams (Fate S...

By Reushy

"Dream is a Reality and Reality is a Dream." The corrupted flames of Fuyuki had destroyed and killed anything... More

Chapter 1: Two Miracles
Chapter 3: A New Home
Chapter 4: Making Friends
Chapter 5: Accompaniment
Chapter 6 Wake Up
Chapter 7: A Lifetime's Epiphany

Chapter 2: Brothers

2.8K 51 19
By Reushy

Quick note: The Spacebattle Fate stay night forums really know their stuff about the Nasuverse... and I just found out that a lot of fanfics tend to stray away from from the canon material on many occasions. I know that everyone is free to make a fanfic as such... but I think it gives the Fate veterans a heart attack from time to time.

Anyway without further ado let's get this story rolling.

O.O.O

It was darkness, everything in his sight is all black no matter where he looks. He felt weightless and didn't know if he was walking, running, floating or just standing in place.

Is this the afterlife?

Such a passing thought could have been possible, then again it might just be a dream. If it is a dream, then why is it he can't wake up. Then again, the memories of the hell he walked through was still fresh in the mind, but at the same time there was something he was trying to remember. It was as if it laid in the very back of his head that he's having difficulties recollecting.

Now, he was all alone in the dark. There's nothing at all and nothing to do... well it should have been if a soft sob was not heard.

Huh?

Being made aware of this distant cry for the first time, as if appearing into existence was a faintly glowing figure, no rather then a figure it seemed more like a small silhouette, yet giving off the presence that it should've been formless.

Regardless, he wanted to, correction, need to go and help whatever or whoever it is in the state of sadness before his very "eyes". As if the desire manifested, he moved forward.

Sprinting, striding, running, gliding, or even flying? His approach may have seemed slow, but his pace could be considered fast. Nonetheless he paid no attention to these points and continued his single-minded advance.

Where's my family?

It was like an echo in the mind, thoughts that can be heard by another, an intent that barely requires words to be understood.

Who is my family?
What was I doing?
Where am I?
Why am I here?

Who... am I?

Emotions that are bared in their purest form. Anxiety, confusion, fear, grief, sadness... and the most prominent feeling being emulated from it all was loneliness.

I'm scared... I don't want to be alone...

He had enough of feeling these pleads, and he's going to do something about it. Even if what was before his sight is a hazy form, it can cry and feel like anyone else with a heart.

It will be alright. He said/thought(?)

Silence once again dominated the empty space, then the once weeping little entity broke the silence.

Who are you? It was words filled with curiosity and a sense of a lingering hope and relief.

Slightly pondering on the thought, he wasn't quite sure "what he was" at the present moment, but besides that he replied without a second thought. In a way, I am similar to you. These words felt right to him for some reason.

Really? Joy and concern were somehow mixed.

Yes. His reply is full of resolve, and he stretched out a "hand" he wasn't aware that he had. You don't have to worry anymore, I'm here for you.

No ulterior motives, ill will, lies or hostility was ever indicated or evident, just an absolute intention of wanting to help someone without asking for anything in return, a reward that only this soul sees it to be as such, and the other could see it as clearly as day the instant "he" grasped the "hand".

A flash of familiar golden light permeated through the darkness. It's protective warmth spread out like fireworks at point blank range, but without the blinding effects as it is a light that should be witnessed by those who seek comfort of an incomparable sanctuary.

The Everdistant Utopia.

Yet despite the unparalleled beauty, the two sole existences' within the space give it a semblance notice as most of their attention is transfixed on each other.

Thank you.

Their forms started to take shape, features began to mold into much more defined details of being human; actually children in this case.

No problem. He reply saturated with satisfaction, though a smile was not formed yet, the emotions are all telling here. My name is Shirou, what's yours?

The holy light that bathed them radiated it's glow in what would be it's peak.

My name?

Trying to recall, it took a substantial amount of effort to answer what is the most simplest question in the entirety of existence, unless the destruction of these records arrived to such an extent. Fortunately, that is not the case.

Wait...

Not as spontaneous as it's arrival, the divine light began to fade.

I think...

The two boys has nearly complete form in their view of one another, their facial features were the only hazy parts. What is determined from the taller boy named Shirou is how he had a head of auburn hair, but his presence excluded a colour reminiscent of steel. The other had black hair, a faded hue of blue where the eyes should be, and his presence... it was pure, like that of a clear and refined crystal.

My name was...

Then everything vanished into the darkness once again.

O.O.O

A pair of golden-brown eyes opened to the view of an unfamiliar white ceiling.

An open window that let in a breeze as the landscape of a city could be viewed from his position while a curtain obscured his eyes from the rest of the room. One thing was for sure, Shirou had a feeling he is in a hospital bed.

Bringing himself into sitting up straight with quit a bit of struggling, he noticed that he is wearing a hospital gown, some bandaged all over his body and embarrassingly enough feeling completely naked underneath it. Much of his exhaustion still persisted in his body, and more then a little sore for that matter; his mind was another story.

The memories of his experience within that burning scene, how his home and parents are now ashes at this point, and the drowning guilt weighing on him for all the people he walked passed and left behind in that living nightmare, how there was nothing he could do for them. In all sense of the words, he felt worthless and undeserving to surviving such event, but since he can remember, why did that boy save him?

"Oh, it looks like your up."

Catching his attention was a nurse that fully slid the curtains away and revealing most of the room's interior. While semi-spacious it held a scarce amount of object, typical of a patience room, at most has one cabinet shelf next to him with a monitor in it and three other beds filling the rest of the area. Though one of the beds was occupied judging from the lump in the blanket.

"It's alright now." She smiled gently. "You're quite lucky to have survived such a disaster, you and another kid managed to escape the fire in such close proximity."

The notion didn't help relieve him in anyway, so for the time being he opt to keep quiet. Wait... did she say another kid?

The door opened which interrupted his line of thought. The middle-aged man in his late forties must be the doctor with the white coat being evident. With that, the nurse went over to another bed while the doctor sat on a chair next to the kid's bed.

"Good morning, I'm glad to see that you have recovered." The doctor softly sighed in relief. "My name is Takashi Yamamoto."

"Shirou." The boy responded with a slow nod. After the short introduction a question popped in his mind. "How long have I been here?"

"Give or take two days." The man rubbed his nape while he looked at the clipboard in his other hand. "I must say, you've healed much faster that what should have been possible from the way your body was damaged. I have never seen anyone recover this fast in my lifetime, why in fact it could be considered a miracle." He could not hide his astonishment at the prospect, though now his attention shifted from Shirou to the occupied bed that was across his own. "Another survivor has arrived here with you." A kind smile appeared on his lip.

Shirou willed himself leaned over to get a better look at the other patient that the nurse was attending to since the cabinet shelf kind of blocked his view. Who he saw gave him pause.

A boy whose age looked to be a year younger then his own is still unconscious. He could see that his body has even more bandages on him, though the face and head of black hair is what he recognize.

"Wait! Isn't he?!"

The same boy who helped drag him out of the of the rampaging flames.

"I'm amazed by you two. While his wound were slower to heal, I don't know how but the burns he received nearly reached the threshold of 3rd degree burns when he got here, yet somehow those wounds recovered to the level of 2nd degree burns... which should't make sense." At this point the man could not wrap his mind around the matter even if it is a desirable result.

Shirou, well the ramblings went in one ear and out the other while his eyes are fixed on the boy. At least until the doctor changed the topic of discussion.

"Though I must offer my condolences to you. While the both of you survived such a tragedy, I can't say the same for the people who raised you." He said with regret. "We will help you two as much as we can for the time being, but once you are discharged, you might have to be sent to an orphanage."

It's a given really. Two boys who had lost their families in what others think was a great explosion that burned down and destroyed everything within it's radius of effect; nothing was spared wether it was living or non-living. So placing them in an orphanage facility was the only option they have unless someone took them under their wing now.

Shirou was not sure about the whole thing, but if it came to be, then he'll resign himself as it was out of his control. Then to their surprise, their was a gentle groan.

"Nn..."

"Doctor!" The woman called out.

His heavy eyelids started to open, revealing deep blue eyes that could be comparable to the seas if not for the fact that they looked like the eyes of a dead fish.

"What good timing for you to wake up." Takashi greeted with a bit of energy, but was rather short lived when the boy blankly observed his surroundings.

Where are the determined eyes that had pushed them through the flames!? Shirou's eyes widened, unable to fathom where the life in those blue orbs were.

"It's all my fault."

Ignorant of his inner turmoil, the doctor excused himself from Shirou and examined the other child. In the meantime, the redhead entered a state of self-loathing. He should have died in those wrathful flames if it meant that the younger boy could have walk out of calamity far less scathed then he was now. The remaining burn marks behind the bandage, those empty eyes that seemed lost made his heart ache, Shirou wondered why others wanted to save him when the got hurt or died in his stead. What value could his life have been worth in the first place?

Takashi continued questioning the youth that Shirou didn't register because of his self ridicule. The blur eyed boy mostly shook his head which made the doctor's worries grow with each physical reply, but when one particular question was asked, the said child stopped the shaking of his head and finally used his voice that will drag a certain someone out of their negative emotions.

"Hisashi."

Shirou raised his head that remained face down for a while, because of it he didn't even notice how the younger child kept looking at him the entire time.

"My name is Hisashi."

A name, it was just a name, yet somehow it hit Shirou like lightning where the words chimed in his ears, as if getting an answer that he never realized he was looking for. The way that they look at each other was like a resonance of sorts, Yet the light in Hisashi's blank eyes flashed with recognition... and confusion at once.

"Hmm, a case of amnesia. With the traumatic experience such as your's, it's understandable. Although maybe give it enough time and you will recover like Shirou."

"Shirou?" Still gazing at the said boy, his neutral eyes widened slightly.

Noticing the way these to two boys were looking at one another, Takashi decided to make his way out.

"Well I must get going, I need to attend to some other matter. I'll check on you two later, perhaps you both could talk in that time." With these parting words, he and the nurse made their way out of the room.

"..."

Silence, that is the current situation. Their sight never swaying from the other, but it did cause a bit of awkwardness for the auburn haired boy in particular. Discerning how adamant the younger boy gazed at him with glazed eyes, he went with the option of introductions.

"Umm.. hi. My name is Shirou, what's your's?" Why did he feel a sense of déjà vu?

"... I think my name is Hisashi?" An answer that took on a more questioning form.

If Shirou was being honest with himself, this is one the weirdest conversation, no, more like introduction he had ever experience so far in his life.

"You think?"

"It's the only thing I can remember."

What would be the normal reaction to this this kind of situation? Most would be offering their condolences or even their pity for an amnesic child who lost everything in a devastating fire, his family, his home, his life, and even who he once was. For Shirou's reaction, his guilt and remorse resurfaced with the impact of a righteous vengeance, and he could not stop blaming himself for it.

"I'm so sorry." He said with a strained expression and clenched fists becoming white.

"..." Hisashi blinked at him for a moment, then he tilted his head in an innocent manner. "Why?"

"Why?" The younger boy's response repeated in Shirou's mind. "Because you lost everything. The place that was your home, your parents, maybe even the friends you have made, and those memories are lost forever." He clinched his teeth so hard that their grinding could be heard. "You have lost far more than me, and all because you helped save me from that fire!" His last sentence were filled with self-detest.

In reaction to such emotions, Hisashi crossed his arms and closed his eyes in deep pondering. Then as his eyes opened, he stared at Shirou in curiosity and confusion.

"So I saved you from a fire." He let the sentence sink in their mind. "But I felt that you have saved me too." As confused as he might have felt, he stated it with unfounded certainty.

"I saved you?"

The boy had no idea how to react. He has no recollection of enacting such a thing when Hisashi was the one carrying him in the end of the ordeal and even died for a moment. Though he felt like he was forgetting something, as it something very important happened before he woke up... but what was it again?

"Maybe." Hisashi placed a finger on his chin in deep thought; makes quite an image when his eyes "looked" empty. "I don't remember anything, and it makes me kind of sad that I can't remember people important to me... but I felt that you helped me somehow." When he directly faced Shirou, for the first time since meeting each other, his blue eyes glimmered slightly and a tiny smile shone on his expression. "And I kind of want to know you better, if that's okey with you?"

Shocked would have barely describe Shirou's reaction. A boy that looks to be a year younger than him had the strength and will to drag him out of that hell at the cost of his own memories, his whole life even, yet somehow Hisashi claims that he had save him but is unsure of the cause. What would anyone make of this conversation? Then there's that smile the younger child has made, not that strong of an expression but contained a soft glee in being able to meet and greet with him for some reason, and embarrassingly in the redheads mind and heart, he felt relaxed in such a presence of unfiltered acceptance when he thought his heart died in that fire.

"Sure." He scratches his cheek to hide his fluster. He was not sure if he deserved this warm reception, but he knew it would be rude if he didn't respond in kind. "It's nice to meet you, my name is Shirou by the way." The boy revealed a toothy grin.

"And my name is Hisashi." He reverted back to his plain expression.

"I already heard when you were talking to the doctor." Shirou chuckled lightheartedly.

A tranquil atmosphere fill the air from the innocent vibes of these two young boys.

O.O.O

A couple of days passed since the boys woke up. Much to Shirou's immense relief, there were others like him and Hisashi who were injured but survived the fire, which the younger child is of a similar opinion since some expressiveness was gained back in his eyes.

They were healing up nicely, as Shirou is now out of the binding of his bandages, Hisashi would have a case of the itch because of the skin peeling off. The doctors wondered how they healed so fast at the initial stage, one had the thought of magic being done, but they all laughed off the prospect. They are physicians, not magic theorists.

Besides the regular checkups, the two boys had nothing to do but talk to each other. While at first was met with silence because of inadequate topics, now they are currently exploring what the black haired boy can remember. Surprisingly, he could still recognize things a few electronics, some animals like birds and cats, a bit of reading, certain names of food, and so on. He is missing some details to things in writing, how some devices work like remote controls, and common etiquette, but he'll relearn over time, and right it was like the space in the room was just for the two of them where the outside world is separate from their own. Then it popped like a bubble when the door open and in turn caught the two's attention.

"Excuse me." A rather deep voice resounded the room.

The nurse has led a man into the room and promptly left on the request of the man to have a word with the boys.

This stranger walked in with a briefcase in his right hand. Donning a black suit and a wrinkled trench coat, messy hair, and seems to be in the age of his early or late thirties depending who's judging. His eyes though, they are vacant like Hisashi's but far more deeply that what should be normal for people. To Hisashi, it was as if life was being sapped from his very being with his expression alone, but as he sighted the two youths, his tired eyes seemed held on a gentle light when he took a chair, sat on it, and looked upon then.

Shirou clearly recognizes him as the man who was crying tears of joy for the both of them, but the younger of the two looked at the at him with question marks floating on his head, and worry for the tired looking man.

"I'm glad to see that you two are okey." He smiled with a great sense of relief. "My name is Emiya Kiritsugu, and well, you could say that I was the one who got you to the hospital."

The boys made a quick glance at each other before looking back at Kiritsugu and introduced themselves.

"Shirou, it's to meet you." He offered a short and polite bow.

"I'm Hisashi." This boy gave a nod instead. "I want to thank you for saving us."

Instantly the response made the man almost emotional on the spot, if he wasn't trained in suppressing his emotions, it would have happened in front of the kids.

"Your welcome." And he truly meant these words. "Now as for the first order of business." He attempted to change topic in light of his feelings. "This might come as a shock to you two, but I'm a magus."

"A magus? You mean-" Shirou comprehended where as Hisashi blinked a few times.

"Yes. I'm a user of Magic."

This got a good reaction from the two, Magic, there was something about it that could fill any kid their age to be filled with wonder. As it surprised them with awe, the reaction Kiritsugu received set off butterflies in his stomach.

"That's awesome!" Shirou shouted a childish complement.

"Thanks" Kiritsugu could not help but chuckle. "Now... there's another matter which I will directly address to you boys. Which would you prefer? To go to an orphanage, or to be adopted by this man you've never seen before?" Some might have thought that he was suspicious, but his smile is gentle smile and his voice is very kind.

This got the boys thinking for a moment when he clearly stated that he could adopt them. As cool as a Magician was in their minds, a decision like this shouldn't be rushed.

"Are you one of our relatives?" Shirou asked just to be sure if he was related to either him or Hisashi.

"I'm sorry, but I'm just a stranger that wanted to help." Emiya replied with some regret.

So it's either be adopted by him or to the orphanage they go. At first, Shirou thought that the man seemed kind of unreliable as rude as the thought might have been; but looks can be deceiving. Take the blue eyed boy for a prime example. He looks emotionless, but he was far more expressive than what can be discerned at first glance. Speaking of which, Hisashi observed them intently as the auburn haired boy asked him "What do you think Hisashi?"

Realizing the question aimed at him, he look up to the ceiling in a moment of thought before redirecting his field of view to them.

"At first, I was going ask you to chose first." He raised his brow... in a playful manner? "Maybe you already know my answer, Nii-chan?"

A momentary pause, but the result is all the same... with an immense effect.

"Well, you hear him." As calm as Shirou outwardly appeared to be, he was greatly shaken up on the inside.

The man has a smile that could literally melt the winter snow and bring in the vibrant spring.

"That's good." Way more that what the words could even describe. "Get ready quickly, then. You two should get used to your new place as fast as you can."

Kiritsugu started packing their things at a fast pace, though in quite a messy fashion. Luckily for him, that was not on these boys' minds.

"So we have a magician for a father, and we will be in the same family." A smile is plastered on Shirou's face.

"Yes." Hisashi couldn't agree any less, and he could see that the scenery expression Kiritsugu displayed wash away some of the worry he was feeling for the man.

"We are brothers now."

His smile grew just a bit wider that day.

O.O.O

Hope you enjoyed the story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 1.7K 53
after the six Holy grail war the son and daughter of Shirou emiya the king or Blade or demonic blacksmith and arturia pendragon the king of knight th...
823 16 10
A group of seven mages gets chosen to become masters of seven classes of heroic spirits, in order to fight and win the Holy Grail. This story is a fo...
22.3K 728 18
There was once a boy who had survived a hell which destroyed everything in its wake. He was almost dead but a man had saved him and later adopted the...
2.3K 12 35
A story of a alternate universe similar to the world of fate stay night, where heroes fight to get the grail and claim their wishes.There is a twist...