Aren't We All Liars? [Vendett...

By attyalexandria

"You're a fucking liar." "Aren't we all liars?" If there's one thing Cassandra Defensor was sure of her entir... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 5

33 3 0
By attyalexandria

Chapter 5

That Criminal Law 1 quiz was no joke. I reached a point na yung literal na definition nalang ng provisions ang pinaglalagay ko kahit na ang tanong naman ay kung paano magiging criminally liable ang dalawang kliyente kong accessories to the crime of murder.

Sana naman bigyan ako ng partial points ni Atty. Castañar dito. Kahit 0.5 points lang. Napabuntong-hininga ako. Criminal Law is definitely not my strongest suit.

Nang narealize kong wala na talaga akong mailalabas pa sa utak ko, nauna ko nang pinasa ang yellow sheet kay Prof Castañar. This just means I have to work double time in this course. I can't fail. Heck, I can't even afford mediocrity!

After class, dumiretsyo na akong library upang simulan ang Legal History paper ko. I took out my airpods before playing Lo-Fi music in the background. May study playlist pa ako para mastimulate yung brain cells ng utak ko habang nagsusulat.

Hindi ko na namalayan ang oras. Nagulat nalang ako at may kamay na tumapik sa balikat ko.

Bago ko pa mahulaan kung sino ito, tumawa na siya sa likod ko.

"Santino?" I asked. Mamaya ibang tao pala eh.

"Hi. Kanina ka pa?" He asked.

"Yup. But it's fine!" I showed him my laptop. "I finished my paper while waiting for you."

Nginitian niya ako. "That's great. Let's go?" He asked as I packed my things from the library desk.

I followed him all the way to the parking lot before telling him I didn't have my car with me. I asked my mom's driver to bring me to Malcolm today so I would have an excuse to ride with Santino on the way to our date.

The more alone time I spend with him, the more information I can get and the more chances I can lure him in.

He opened the door for me before riding shotgun in his Black Range Rover. His car was immaculately clean and spotless. I guess Santino here is a clean freak. His veins protruded as he gripped the steering wheel tightly. His other arm was resting on my back seat as he maneuvered the car outside the parking lot.

I did my research before-hand and turns out, Santi is a fan of wine. He asked me where we were going to have our date so I suggested we'd dine at a famous Spanish restaurant in Makati. Barcino.

Once we entered the restaurant, I caught a'lot of people staring at us. I'm just not sure if it's because they know he's the son of the Senate President or because he's just too good-looking.

Santino was wearing a light blue Ralph Lauren button-down shirt that fitted his arms perfectly. His black slacks, armani belt and shades topped his mysterious aura. Mukha siyang artista. I would have probably swooned at his gracious looks if he were someone else.

But he's not.

We were gestured to a table for two. Santino ordered Paella Negra, Gambas Al Ajillo, Cauliflower Cheese, and Chorizo Iberico for us. For our drinks, I ordered Sangria, while he requested an entire bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.

I see he likes red wine.

After the waitress left us, Santino finally started a conversation with me. "I'm sure you've had a'lot of boyfriends in the past. Is there anyone who has taken you here before?"

Wow. Diretsyong boyfriend agad yung usapan eh.

"On the contrary, I've actually had zero boyfriends." I said innocently at him.

He seemed satisfied with my answer. "Flings then?"

The waiter arrived shortly with our drinks on hand.

I nodded. "I'm not really a fan of labels. I'd rather just go with the flow and enjoy the chase." I said while taking the first sip on my Sangria.

"Well then, that makes two of us." He flashed a smile, showing his pearly white teeth. God, this guy is just too perfect physically.

What could his dirt fucking be?

"So, I guess no girlfriends for you either?" I said teasingly.

"Nope. Well, not yet. Although I'm eyeing someone right now." He answered suggestively.

Yet. In your dreams, Rodriguez.

"Well, enough about me, let's talk about you! Who is the Santino Rodriguez?" I said as I tried to reel the conversation in the direction I want.

He chuckled lightly before taking a sip of his red wine. "I'm pretty sure you can google everything about me. I'm an open book." He shrugged.

So mago-google ko ba kung bakit pinatay ng tatay mo ang kapatid ko? I almost rolled my eyes at his answer.

I touched his hand on the table before squeezing it lightly.

Take the fucking bait, Santino.

"I wanna get to know the real you. Take off your titles, your surname and what people already know. Who are you, really?"

"I am a 24 year old boy who loves to play golf and race cars for the thrill of it. I like listening to hip hop music, my favorite artists are Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West. My favorite food is Aglio Olio and Pumpkin Raviolli." He said as if this was merely a recitation.

"Mukha ba akong slambook sa'yo, Santi? I'm not gonna know you if you only show me your superficial side." Nag-pout pa ako sakaniya for special effect.

God, I can't believe I'm acting this pabebe! Kuya Fonso, the things I do for you!

He bolt out a strong laugh after what I said. "Okay, okay. Let's take off the mask then, shall we?" He gulped the entire glass of wine down. Mukhang mahaba-habang usapan to.

Let me in your head of lies, Santino.

"Contrary to what everyone thinks, I'd like to think I'm a simple man. I hate complications. I stay away from anything that can cause me any kind of trouble. Everyone says I'm particularly good at giving orders,  not so much with  following them though. Oh! and my mom thinks the cutest thing about me is that I'm still daddy's little boy." Santino shared with a chuckle.

Daddy's boy, huh?

Time to plant the seed.

"Oh! That reminds me. You know what, Santino? I'm actually a big fan of your father. He gets a'lot of backlash for his policies, but I think his legislations are necessary for economic growth." I said fakely, as I took another sip of my Sangria.

I almost wanted to choke on my own lies. His father's legislations were nowhere near necessary; they were plain selfish and greedy.

Senator Rodriguez likes to trick the masses into thinking his policies are for economic development. When in truth, they're taxing every product and living entity at the expense of the poor.

Surely, the rich can still afford to purchase these high-priced items. But what about those at the bottom of the social triangle? Malaki na nga ang kinakaltas sa sweldo nila dahil sa buwis, nagmamahal pa ang presyo ng bilihin. Karamihan pa sakanila ay minimum wage earners!

Santino let out an amused smile before leaning towards the table, his hand resting at the bottom of his chin. "Wow. I've never met a girl so involved in politics before. Much so with my own father's political initiatives."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at him. Duh. No person in the right mind would want to involve themselves in your demonic father's projects.

"Believe me, I'm an avid supporter of your father. Filipinos these days.... all they do is complain. But they don't realize that the government's doing everything they can to make their lives better." I tried my best to sound like those privileged rich kids you hear on twitter these days.

I'm surprised he can't sense the disgust in my own words. Ang galing kong mag-acting. Deserve ko talaga ng award, I thought to myself.

Biglang lumaki yung ngisi ni Santino, para siyang batang binigyan ng bagong laruan.

"Exactly! Finally, someone who understands me!" He exclaimed excitedly. "These Filipinos like to judge my father for his stringent measures, but what they don't understand is that they have to make sacrifices now in exchange of a more comfortable life in the future. It's a small price to pay, but it will all be worth it as the years come."

Hindi ko alam kung sadyang tanga lang si Santino at hindi niya naiintindihan yung socio-economic implications ng mga kalokohan ng tatay niya o sadiyang nagbubulag-bulagan lang siya. Either way, he really looks like he believed in his father.

What an idiot.

Or worse, what a genius. Just an apathetic and blinded one.

I took another sip of my Sangria. God, I'm gonna need a'lot of alcohol when I'm with him. That's the only way I can stomach all my lies.

We continued to talk about his dad's projects and legislations. He even told me how proud he was that he helped his father's staff write some of the bills that Senator introduced to the Senate, including the controversial Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion Act.

Oh? So may kasalanan ka rin pala sa pagpapahirap ng mga Pilipino? Ikina-proud mo pa talaga yan, ha?

"Anyway, my dad's 50th birthday party is in 6 weeks. I'll try to ask if I can add you to the guest list. I'm sure you'd be thrilled to meet my father, and as for him, I think he'd love to meet one of his most beautiful supporters."

Thrilled? Supporter? I almost wanted to laugh. Oh Santino, you clueless little boy.

I tried to exaggerate my excitement. "Ohmygod, really?! You'd do that?!" I reached out to touch his hand on the table. "Thank you, Santi! This really means so much to me. I'm so excited!" I said cheerfully.

Thank heavens for alcohol. We spent the remainder of the date getting to know each other while I tried to fish for more details about him. His interests, schedule, and of course, his family.

It was around 8 pm when our date ended.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you home?" Palabas na kami ng Barcino ngayon at kakatapos lang magbayad ng bill. Nagulat ako kanina nang sabihin ng waitress na nabayaran na daw ang bill namin. Obviously, Santino wouldn't let me pay for our date.

I rolled my eyes. Boys and their big ass ego.

"Okay lang, Santi. Tinext ko na rin driver ko, he's on the way already." I lied to him.

He sighed before unbuttoning the cuffs of his polo. "Okay. I'll be going now. Take care, Alexandria." He said before leaning close to my face and giving my cheek a kiss.

I almost freezed. It was in my reflex to push him away immediately. Good thing he didn't linger long, baka nahalata niya pang hindi ako komportable sa ginawa niya. Santino waved me good bye before going inside his Range Rover.

Fuck, I survived that stupid ass dinner!

I decided to walk to the mall near-by Barcino since I didn't want to go home yet. Ayaw ko na rin namang pahirapan si Manong mag-drive mula sa bahay namin sa QC papunta dito sa Makati para lang sunduin ako. Magbo-book nalang siguro ako ng Grab pauwi.

Dumiretsyo ako sa Zara para makapag-shopping ng bagong damit. I think I deserve this after surviving my first month of law school!

I was contemplating between buying this drawstring silk fitted dress or light purple knitted cropped top when I saw a familiar face carrying way too much clothes on his arms. He was impatiently tapping his foot while the young girl beside him stood in front of the mirror to check the fur jacket she was wearing.

The girl beside him looked so much like him. They had the same golden tan skin, wide eyes and thin pink lips. She must be Xavier's younger sister. Ang cute naman, ginagawa niyang assistant ang Kuya niya.

Xavier boredly scanned the entire store before his eyes landed on me. Nakita niya ata akong pinapanood sila ng kapatid niya. Shock registered on his face before he returned to his typical smug expression whenever he sees me in school. Hinila niya pa yung kapatid niyang busy mag-ayos sa salamin papunta sa akin.

"Kuya, what the heck! I'm not yet done fitting these fur jackets!" She said annoyedly, her high pitched voice resounding even from where I am.

Buhat-buhat pa rin ang mga damit ng kapatid niya, ngumisi sa akin si Xavier bago nagsalita. "Andra, are you stalking me? Sana tinext mo nalang ako kung gustong-gusto mo pala akong makita." Pang-iinis niya.

"In your dreams, Xavier."

"Oh you're in my dreams, alright." He wiggled his brows suggestively.

Ugh! Ang bastos talaga ng bibig ni Xavier kahit kailan. Katabi niya pa yung kapatid niya!

"You know what, Xavier? You're in my dreams too." I winked at him.

Biglang lumaki ang mga mata niya sa sinabi ko, halatang hindi niya inaasahang isasagot ko iyon. "Oh really?" He smirked at me, his arms wrapped tighter around the girly clothes he's carrying.

"Yeah, and in my dreams, I wrap my hands around your neck and choke you to death."

"Oh, kinky ka pala, Andra? You like choking, huh?" He teased me back.

This jerk! Hindi ba siya nahihiya sa kapatid niya?!

I simply rolled my eyes at him para tumahimik na siya. Masungit na bumaling ang nakababata niyang kapatid sa akin, tinitignan ako mula ulo hanggang paa. "Are you my brother's bitch?" She fired at me.

Instead of being offended at what she said, I let out a laugh. I like this girl's attitude. She's a fierce little kitten. Reminds me of my younger days.

Nanlaki ang mata ni Xavier sa gulat at pinagalitan ang kapatid niya. "Xavina, what the hell?! You don't just go around calling people that!" Sigaw niya.

Their names are so cute. Xavier and Xavina.

Xavina crossed her arms in defense. "Calling people what?! Bitch?!" She mocked him.

"Ang tigas talaga ng ulo mo. Oh ayan, that's what you get for being such a diva." Pagalit na sabi ni Xavier bago binagsak ang buhat-buhat na mga damit sa ulo ng kapatid niya. Yung ibang damit, nahulog na sa sahig dahil hindi nasalo ni Xavina lahat.

"Kuya, you're so freaking annoying!" Singhal niya bago pinulot ang mga damit. "Give me your credit card so I can pay for these na nga!" Giit niya.

Xavier just shook his head. "Ginalit mo ako eh. Ikaw magbayad niyan Xavina." Pangiinis ng Kuya niya. She looked like she was about to cry.

Sus, damit lang pala katapat ng batang to.

"Come here, Xavina. I'll pay for all of those." I told her.

A wide smile lit up on her face before she ran to hug me. "Omg! Really, Ate?! Are you sure?!" She asked.

Grabe yung attitude flip ng batang to. Parang di ako tinawag na bitch kanina ah?

I nodded at her. She faced her Kuya and stuck her tounge out before facing me again. "Sorry for calling you a bitch awhile ago. Kuya has so many girls kasi! Some of them are literal bitches talaga, I swear. One of them was like a leech pa! Everywhere we went, she was clinging on to his arms! Ayaw bumitaw! So everytime he flirts with a new girl, I automatically think she's his bitch." Sumbong niya sa akin, kaya natawa naman ako.

"Oh, but don't worry Ate, I don't think you're like them! Most of them want to please Kuya, but you? You just pissed him off with what you did. Look at him, oh!" Tinuro niya si Xavier sa akin na nakahalukipkip na ngayon habang pinapanood kaming binabayaran ang mga damit ni Xavina sa cashier. Tumawa nalang ako.

Pagkatapos namin bayaran ang damit niya at ang mga napili kong damit, inabot ko sakaniya ang paper bags at tumakbo siya sa Kuya niya para inisin siya.

Inignora ni Xavier si Xavina bago lumapit sa akin. "Don't worry, I'm transferring the money to you. Just send me your account number." He said.

I shrugged it off. "Huwag na. It's fine. I like your sister, she reminds me of myself when I was a 13 year old kid."

Palaban. Maarte. Matalas ang dila. Protective din sa Kuya. Like Xavina to Xavier, that was me with Kuya Fonso.

Xavina offered to treat me Starbucks as thanks for what I did in Zara awhile ago. I asked her to order a Matcha Latte for me habang naghahanap naman kami ng mauupuan ni Xavier.

Once we settled down, he leaned over the table with a curious face. The coffee shop's yellow lights highlighted his crisp brown curly hair and light brown eyes. He had that stare that can melt you right there and then.

"So... I saw you entering Santi's car awhile ago sa school parking lot. What's the deal with you guys?" He tried asking casually.

Selos ka?

I leaned over the table as well, trying to match his intense gaze. "Tinawag mo pa akong stalker kanina, who's the real stalker now, huh?" I teased him.

He rolled my eyes at my statement. "Just answer the question, Andra." He leaned back on the chair and crossed his arms.

I shrugged. "We went on a date."

Kumunot ang noo niya sa sinabi ko. "And?" He inquired.

"We ate. We drank. We talked." Ano pa bang ineexpect niyang mangyari sa isang date?

Parang gulat na gulat siya sa sagot ko. "That's it?"

"Why? What did you expect would happen?"

"Santi always brings her girls to his condo after a date." He said nonchalantly as if that's such a normal thing to do.

"Okay. And so?"

"I'm just telling you to be careful around him. You can't trust him."

"And why should I trust you instead of him? You said it yourself, same fraternity kayo. You can tolerate each other and turn a blind eye to the mistakes of your own brothers."

Natahimik siya doon. Did I hit a nerve, Xavier?

Xavina came back with our drinks on hand. "You and Kuya like the same drink pala." She teased before putting the two matcha lattes down.

"Look, Andra. I'm just trying to protect you. I know Santino. He doesn't do things like these without getting anything in return." He said before taking a sip on his drink.

"And I'm a 21 year old girl who doesn't need saving. Okay? It's just a freaking date. Chill out, Xavier. Talo mo pa tatay ko." I joked to ease down his worry.

Nagkibit-balikat nalang siya bago bumuntong hininga. "Your call. But really, if anything goes wrong I'm just here, okay? Text me, call me, even email me, basta nandito lang ako."

I wanted to laugh. Everything will go wrong. Trust me, Alleje.

Xavina stared at her brother weirdly. "Kuya, why are you like that? It's so unlike you!" She laughed. "Why are you so protective of Ate Andra kay Kuya Santi? Ikaw ha?! You like her, noh?!" Ininis pa ni Xavina.

Sorry, Xavier. You like me but I need to like someone else. Hanap ka nalang iba, marami naman diyan.

"Just drink your frappe, okay?! Stop being so nosy, Xavina! Your Ate Andra is my law school blockmate. We've been friends for a month already, so of course I'll look out for her! Just like how I'd look out for any of my friends." Depensa ni Xavier bago ginulo ang buhok ni Xavina.

She repeatedly slapped him in the chest out of annoyance, kaya naman tawa ng tawa si Xavier. Nag-pout pa si Xavina bago lumipat ng upuan at tumabi sa akin.

"Sus, friend daw." She teased Xavier before sipping on her strawberry frappe and taking an IG story of her Kuya.

Cute.

I suddenly missed my brother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 113 17
Second volume of "What if... The series" - Venomous assumption is a quicksand - Neera Abhisree When Anusree decided to...
17.8K 412 35
You know the feeling when the whole world turns against you? When no one listens to you nor acknowledge you? And then in the end your all alone, well...
41 0 13
Defense lawyer Antonio Connor's life changes when he takes a case that starts off as an ordinary murder in the first-degree and then turns into somet...
3K 217 34
Winning is the only important thing to Ambria Alvarez. Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero is her motto in life; seize the day by winning all ca...