RAZE (Fighter's Den, #0.5)

By TheFeveredBookaholic

The only worthy man is the man willing to spill blood. There is no greater gang feared in the streets of New... More

Dedications
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Eleven

32.6K 1.6K 1.9K
By TheFeveredBookaholic

My feet pound against the pavement as I sprint, my breaths bursting out of me and lungs burning. Keep going. The sound of a bullet fires off and I duck, picking up my pace. Shit.

Another bullet goes off and I slide across the concrete behind a dump truck. Within seconds I have my gun pulled out from the waistband of my jeans and I click off the safety, shooting to my feet and leaning around the truck so that my target comes into view. I pull the trigger without hesitation. And I don't miss.

"Watch it!" Mitch scowls and drops the shooting board lightening fast. "That could have been my arm, you dick!"

"But it wasn't," I respond evenly. I walk back into view and Mitch hands me the board, the one with a bullet hole right in the centre. He puts his gun away and I do the same, both of us panting. "That's enough training. Let's get out of here."

"Thank fuck," He mumbles under his breath as we head back inside the warehouse. "You take this shit way too seriously. Fucker made me hold a shooting board right next to my body. The goddamn nerve."

"I let you shoot me back so you'd feel safer."

"Right. Safer. I enjoyed being pitted against a killing machine just because I had a glock in my hand."

I chuckle, clapping him on the back in thanks. He's followed every order I've given him and has had my back the way no one else has. He is one of the main reasons I've been able to put my plan together.

It's been three months since that night with Laura and I haven't had a moment's rest since.

I thought a lot about everything she said. I missed her all the time, with no way to contact her. But I know where to find her when the time is right and I've been doing everything to make things right again. If everything goes accordingly, I will be leaving the South Bloods soon.

It was not a decision that came easy. There were too many factors that made it next to impossible. How was I going to keep Laura safe if we were constantly on the run? It's not like I'd be hard to find now that I'm a professional boxer with a direct spotlight under me at all times. Leaving would not be possible without the support of at least a handful of men willing to keep eyes and ears all around to ensure my safety and hers. The only way to turn them was to give them something in return, so I had to plan.

The answer was simple enough—money. But not the kind where I'd throw a wad at them and they'd stay quiet. These men needed a stable source of income if they were going to leave South Bloods to support me. I had to come up with opportunities that would match their respective skills from gang work, something that they would enjoy and pay well. That's when I brainstormed security, selling legal weapons, training, safe-housing, among many others. Quiet spots around the city where ex-members could hide in plain sight and use their job as a security for their own safety. With the money I've made from fighting and leading South Bloods, I've opened all kinds of new locations that are ready to have men moved in. It's coming together slowly but surely.

"I still don't get one thing." Mitch locks the door to the warehouse, the one I've told Father I bought as a new training ground but instead use to devise his downfall. "South Bloods has a law that blood members can't be killed by any and all gangs. Doesn't that make you untouchable so you and Laura would be safe?"

"I'd be safe but not Laura," I explain. "It's blood members only—anyone who directly comes from the Resnick lineage. It's why no one else in South Bloods has protection. It's as selfish a law as the rest of Father's leadership."

"Hell. Here I was thinking you could just marry Laura and give her your name and then you'd both be safe."

"Already thought of that," I shrug. Stark silence greets me and I finally glance away from the whiteboard and find Mitch gaping at me. "What?"

He raises his brows with incredulity. "I meant that sarcastically. You were actually thinking about marrying her?"

"Not thinking. I will." I turn to the board again and look over the names of the men I know would turn with me if given the right motivation. I snap my fingers at Mitch. "Enough gawking. Status updates on the new locations."

He has trouble finding his voice but clears his throat after a brief moment. "Um, three safe-houses closed down on with full payment, one weaponry store sold with complete rights, two gyms in low-income areas for boxing and MMA training, and a handful of security required at each. You're looking at about thirty new jobs."

"Then I'll need thirty men." My eyes scan the twelve I have so far. "Who else?"

"You'd seriously marry her, Raze? You barely know each other." He points out and I sigh, sensing he won't drop it.

"Ask me anything about her then."

He mirrors my stance and crosses his arms. I know he's just worried about me as a friend so I humour him. "Last name."

"Simon."

"Age."

"Twenty-nine."

"Worst fear."

"Dying with regrets. Not having a good relationship with her children if she had any."

"Dreams."

"Owning a gallery of her paintings and one day selling out."

"Something she's never told you but you figured out about her anyways."

"She would like to be a mother. She watches children all the time, especially when they interact with their parents. She wants a girl and she'd name her Emily. I may have read that in one of her diaries."

"I thought you didn't want kids."

"I do if they're hers. Why wouldn't I love more of Laura in this world?"

Mitch finally loses the toughness on his face, his mouth tugging into a smirk. "Better make me best man then."

"Better follow my orders then." I punch his arm, though on the inside I'm pleased of his approval. At least some one does. "Let's finish this."

He groans. "Food first. Would it kill you to feed me while making me do all this secret dirty work?"

My lips twitch reluctantly. "Fine. But something healthy. Part of your training is a good diet."

"Yes, mother." He rolls his eyes and grabs his keys. I follow suit, throwing on a jacket and wiping the board clean before we head out.

Mitch drives so I take the rare free time to collect my thoughts. The truth is I am not sure if I can pull this off. The men who have agreed to work for me could get cold feet and confess to Father. Laura might not want to be with me after all this time. Everything about this is still dangerous. All I know is that it is better than sitting on my ass and wishing for a new life instead of making it happen. No matter what happens, I am going to be selfish. I am going to do better because that's what Laura taught me. And Laura is always right, I've learned.

"Not healthy." I voice my disapproval at the restaurant Mitch pulls into.

"We've been working hard as fuck for months and deserve to kick back a little," He throws back, parking. I may make grown men all around the city shit their pants at just the mention of my name but Mitch has far since stopped being afraid of me. If anything he's a little too comfortable but I find humour in it.

We walk inside and head for a booth at the back and a waitress is beside us instantly. She eyes Mitch with obvious interest and he notices, putting on a smirk and playing it sweet. I roll my eyes, knowing he's likely to go home with her tonight. In the months I've worked with Mitch one on one and gotten to know him, I've learned he loves women a lot. Too much to ever settle down with one.

She gets our order and walks away with an extra sway to her hips. Mitch doesn't bother hiding his stare that's pinned to her ass.

"You are what women would call a slut," I point out.

He leans back against his booth with a grin. "And as long as they're also calling my name, I don't have a problem with that."

I shake my head. The appeal is not hard to understand. Mitch is what women would consider conventionally handsome. Whereas I'm more on the rugged side, Mitch is more of a pretty-boy. Light brown hair and hazel eyes seem to do it for the women who openly gawk. He also has a nose ring and while I find it punk-ish, women have an appreciation. He once admitted that his dick is pierced—solely for the sake of a woman's pleasure—but I didn't allow him to elaborate on that. Deranged man.

I glance at the counter in the diner to see if our order is ready but find something else instead. Someone, rather. I'm standing up before I even realize with my heart in my throat. Laura.

I should probably stay away. She asked that I leave my life behind and I'm still caught up in it. But I need to see her, to tell her that I'll be there so soon, to ask her if she still wants me after all this time because I never stopped wanting her. Mitch notices too and tries to stop me but it's too late. I walk toward her stool with fast and impatient steps.

She pauses with a fry halfway through her mouth, eyes widening when she notices me. Fuck, I missed those beautiful eyes. "Greg?"

"Darlin'." I wrap my arms around her torso and lift her from her seat, earning her surprised yelp. I should stop but I can't. "You're really here."

I expect her to hug me back, or hope for it at least, but instead she smacks my shoulder and it's not the flirty way she's done before. "Put me down, asshole!"

I immediately set her down on her feet, blinking in shock. This, I was not expecting. "What?"

"Where have you been?" She hits me again and tears gather in her eyes. "You didn't have to outright disappear on me like that! I haven't seen you in months!"

"But...you said..."

"To figure things out for yourself. To push pause on us. But I never meant leave me behind while you did! God, you are unbelievable!"

I have never been so confused. We get a few noticeable stares and I grab her hand, pulling her toward the hallway at the back where the washrooms are. We pass a snickering Mitch and I smack him good on the head for it. Once we're in the privacy of the darkly lit hall, I face Laura again.

"I didn't want to put you in danger. It's a miracle nothing happened to you those three months we were together. I didn't want to risk it until I left South Bloods for good."

She blinks at me, finally simmering down a little. "You're leaving?"

"Yes. You were right—it's not a life I want anymore. I never wanted it but I didn't have the courage to believe I could leave it behind. It's not a simple process and I've been working hard on it so that you could be safe when we'd be together again. If you still want that."

"Of course I do." She shoves my chest, wiping at her face angrily. "I said I would wait but how did I know you would too? You never gave me your number because you said it was dangerous. I don't know where you live or work. You were just gone. I thought you were the one that didn't want this anymore."

"What?" I pull her against me, rocking her when she starts crying into my chest. Hell. I really am an asshole. "I'm so sorry, baby. I didn't think things through. I was just so obsessed with leaving that it didn't even hit me how things would look on your end. Fuck. Forgive me?"

She pulls away again, pushing her hair away from her face. Even red and puffy from the crying, she's so goddamn beautiful it hurts. "On one condition."

"Name it."

"Give me the best apology kiss ever."

My lips crush against hers before she can so much as finish her sentence. I stalk forward until her back hits the wall and then lift her up, guiding her legs around me. She kisses me back just as fiercely, just as hard, and I don't think either of us can breathe right now. But I don't care. She's my oxygen and I fill my lungs up with the taste of her. I don't know how I went so long without it.

"Wait," She mumbles and takes her mouth away, breathing hard. Suddenly she looks nervous and starts avoiding my gaze. "Are you sure you're going to leave the South Bloods? That we'll be safe?"

"I would never let anything happen to you," I promise. "It's not too long now but I'll leave it all behind. I swear to you."

"Greg," She whispers and closes her eyes. She takes a deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

"What?" I blurt again. That seems to be the question of the day but damn if I can help it. She's pregnant? I look down at her stomach which is completely flat and look back up in question. "You're...really?"

"Yes," She whispers. When her eyes open again I can see the truth in them. Her eyes always tell the truth. "That might have been why I freaked out on you for going AWOL. I wanted to tell you as soon as I found out and I thought I'd never see you again. That you'd never know. I'm sorry."

I set her down, feeling like my mind is spinning. Nothing is making sense right now. There's too many things happening. "We used condoms."

"Just the first time. The second time we were both in the moment. I didn't even realize until you left and I went to shower. I went straight to the nearest drugstore and took a plan B but I guess it didn't work."

"When did you find out?"

"About a month after that night. I missed my period which never happens to me. I knew before I even took the test. I'm coming up on the end of my first trimester."

I swallow hard. Holy fuck, she's right. "And it's mine?"

She glares at me. "I didn't have sex with anyone for over a year before you or since so yes, it's yours."

She doesn't understand. She has no idea why I need to make sure but my mind is spinning with realization. "You're safe."

Her brows crease. "Huh?"

"You're safe," I repeat and sink to my knees. Incredulous laughter escapes me when I cup her stomach and set my forehead to it. "You're untouchable."

"Greg, you're freaking me out. What are you saying?"

"You're untouchable, baby." I look up at her, feeling my throat close in tight with relief. "The blood law. You're carrying my blood. You're untouchable."

She looks like she's losing her patience. "You need to start using words I understand. What are you talking about?"

I curse and get to my feet again, cupping her face. "In South Bloods, there's something called a blood law. Father created it as a way to keep our family safe. Anyone who has Resnick blood is untouchable by any and all gangs. You're essentially safe from any kind of violence and if you break that law, you will be killed. This baby is mine, Laura. It's Resnick blood and you're carrying it. The South Bloods can't touch you which means both you and I are safe. I could leave right now if I wanted."

Understanding dawns on her and eyes come alight with hope. "So...we can be together? It's okay now?"

"They can't touch us. Not my father, not the South Bloods, not any gang. We're safe."

She licks her lips nervously. "Does that mean that you want the baby? Because it's okay if you're not ready to be a father. I get that it's unexpected and I don't want you to think you have to do this."

She still has no idea, does she? "What makes you think I wouldn't want it?"

"I don't know." She ducks her head. "Up until a few minutes ago I thought you didn't want me either."

"That's impossible." I catch her chin and lift it up again. "I want you. Both of you. Hell, maybe after this one we make more. I want all of it if you'll take me back."

She smiles and it's like falling in love with her all over again, just like I did the moment I saw her at my match. "Really?"

"Yes. I just hope that's an Emily in there."

Her jaw unhinges. "How do you know about that?"

"You shouldn't leave your diaries lying around, darlin'."

"Jerk." She smacks my arm with a laugh. "I can't believe you've known this whole time."

"I did, and I love it. I love you. Will you give me another chance to do things right this time?"

She sighs dramatically. "I guess I kind of have no choice, seeing as you knocked me up and all." My unamused glare makes soft laughter bubble out of her. "Kidding, tough guy. We're in this together, okay?"

And I wait for the panic to set in. The fear. The uncertainty. But nothing comes. All I know is I'll do whatever it takes to protect the both of them. My family.

__________________________

A/N

And that, kids, is how I met your mother.

OKAY BUT FR, squeals! Those of you who've read the FD series know exactly what's happening here and I don't know about you but I think it's perfect. Could I be any more in love with this book?

Please VOTE, comment and share if you liked this chapter.

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4M 406K 44
COMPLETED: 24/02/17 *Warning: LABELLED MATURE. Due to sexual content and graphic language, this book is recommended for readers 17+ in age* Rising bo...
246K 8.7K 38
Secrets. Those dirty little things that we all have and hide. Those are the things that we conceal within ourselves, hiding who we are and what w...
6.2M 146K 39
Rose Addams was born to be a fighter. She grew up to become the strongest boxer. But after the death of her father she gives it all up. All her tim...
24.7K 366 41
"You haven't gotten the dynamics of our relationship down yet, have you? Let me explain it to you: we're involved, very involved. You're mine, and yo...