Hunger Games: Peeta Mellark ×...

By goth018

You are the best friend of Katniss Everdeen and Gale Hawthorn. You are an orphan who was taken in by the Ever... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter: 4
Chapter: 5
Chapter: 6
Chapter: 7

Chapter 3

327 6 0
By goth018

-Y/n p.o.v-

Skipping the last few branches with a jump, wiping the sap off your hands onto your jeans as you stand up. Gloves would really be a valuable investment. Facing Katniss and Gale, you take a quick glance at your watch before speaking to them, "It's about damn time, I thought you guys had forgotten about me."

"Oh, we could never forget about you (y/n)." Gale answers with a boyish smirk while he places an arm around your shoulders. "Who else is gonna clean our game?" Katniss said with a mocking smirk.

It's not that blood or peeling skin bothered you, it's just doing it to an innocent creature that got you, made you feel uneasy. "Or our weapons?" Gale said looking down at you.

"I'm not your servant," you spoke, rolling you eyes while giving Gale a quick to elbow to the ribs.

"Let's get a move on, we do have to get home in about 2 hours." You spoke, tone slightly bitter.

"You both so mean to me. "Gale mumbled with a wince while rubbing his side. You and Katniss rolled your eyes though the latter let out a quiet chuckle.

-----------------------+time-skip+---------------------

-Y/n p.o.v-

You and Katniss were crouched atop of two different trees and Gale was ducked down behind some tall grass. You were all currently about to try and score a male deer. A real rarity.

Gale was going to try and shoot it. If he missed either you or Katniss would have to take it out. Gale looked up at you and whistled the signal, which you were to repeat to Katniss letting her know be ready. You whistled lowly, Katniss readied her bow and nodded, copying her actions you whistled back to Gale.

Everything seemed to go still for a moment before the sound of Gales crossbow releasing startled everything awake again. He missed by half a hair but it didn't matter, you and Katniss were both quick to act, both releasing arrows at the same time. Kat's arrow ripping straight through the stag's neck and yours piercing it in the head. The stag dropped to the forest floor, like a rock sinking to the bottom of a pond.

You and Katniss hopped down from your perches, heading to Gale who was already inspecting the deer. Since you couldn't drag the deer (who you could tell was over 115lbs) thru the streets of town without getting caught and into some serious trouble, the only way to cut and prep the meat was in the forest.

Gale and you dragged the stag to the river to clean the skins once it was cut off and Katniss followed behind shooting a couple more squirrels and rabbits on the way as well as gathering some wild berries. Once you guys got to the river you and Katniss immediately started skinning the hide off the stag while Gale removed its horns and began cutting the meat that was already skinned. Katniss kept some cloth wrap in her bag for the meat. While Gale did the same for the hide and you would carry whatever was leftover, shoving it into your pockets or to the bottom of your quiver. You were all quick to work seeing as you would have to avoid the "peacekeepers" and get prepared for the reaping when you got home.

--------------------+another-skip+-------------------

-Y/n p.o.v still-

Katniss had stuffed her bag as much as she could, Gale did as well and your pockets, as well as the bottom of you quiver, were filled fully. Katniss and Gale held most of the stag's meat and hide in their bags, whereas you held some berries you had picked and the two rabbits and squirrel Katniss had snagged. You guys buried the leftover bits that you couldn't carry.

Glancing at your watch once again it showed it was 8:40 am. The reaping started at 10:20 am.

"We have to start making our way back don't we?" Katniss asked.

"Yea, we should." you replied with a thick swallow.

"Everything going to be alright," Gale said to both of you.

You both knew Gale was just trying to give some comfort through his words but today nothing really could deter the looming fear and bits anxiety.

Slowly you all started making your way through the forest and back to the fence, you leading and Gale and Katniss trailing in the back, they were both talking to each other quietly or at least quieter than usual.

Last minute you all decided to swing by the Hob (market) before you getting home to trade some of the meat and hide you had. You let Katniss and Gale do the trading while you walked around looking at stuff. You ended up in front of an older woman's tent, she was selling bits of sewing supplies, you needed some string and button to repair a couple of clothing items and you knew that Mrs. Everdeen would need some of it as well.

Grabbing a roll of string and the few buttons that were  needed you set in front of yourself and the older lady. You pull some of the berries you had gathered and placed in a spare piece of cloth and hand them to her, she takes them from your grasp and thanks you. Before gathering your stuff, a pin catches your eyes, it was sitting a circular container among a handful of other little knickknacks. It had some type of bird on it? You looked at it for a second before glancing up at the lady and asking "What is it?"

"It's a Mockingjay, " she responds. Gazing at the pin a moment longer you ask "How much?"

The lady shook her head replying " You keep it, it's yours." Slightly shocked  "Thank you", you tell her with a small smile. She just smiles gently back at you and you move back to Katniss and Gale.

They were just finishing their trades and about to come to find you. Making it out of the Hob you all start walking in the direction of the town.

Once you guys made it to the perimeter fence you were careful not to be seen and by the time you made it back to town, it was 9:48. Katniss had stopped by the mayor's house to drop off some of the berries she picked to Madge, a girl you both had gone to school with and considered a friend. Gale had walked Katniss and you back to the Everdeen house before saying goodbye and leaving to his own.

The minute you and Katniss entered the house you could feel the anxiety start to set in. Prim's cat Buttercup came up to you, rubbing up on your legs. Looking up Mrs. Everdeen was standing in the kitchen cooking what looked to be porridge, she was tense while stirring the pot. Katniss placed her bag of meat on to the table and you did the same, emptying your pockets and pulling the squirrel from your quiver. Putting the string and buttons you got in the middle of the table for Mrs. Everdeen to see.

You heard quiet footsteps before an equally quiet voice asked " Mom?", it was Prim, she had her hair into two pigtail braids and was wearing a white shirt with some lace on the front of it and a gray skirt along with her brown lace-up boots.

Katniss called out to her before Mrs. Everdeen could answer. "Oh! look at you. You look beautiful!", she tells prim crouching down in front of her.

"But you better tuck in that tail, little duck." Katniss continues while reaching behind Prim to tuck in her shirt, Prim gave a small smile at her sister. It had totally slipped your mind that this was gonna be Prims first reaping, with that knowledge now running through your mind, you felt bad you didn't get her a little something from the hob to cheer her up.

You were pulled from your thoughts by Mrs. Everdeen's voice, "I laid something out for you too and Y/n as well."

You could see Katniss tense at her mother's voice but she didn't say anything other than "Okay," you knew she was trying to keep the atmosphere as calm as possible for Prim. Katniss stood up giving her sister another smile and a kiss on the forehead before she made her way to the bathroom.

You knew that Mrs. Everdeen wanted to go help Katniss get ready, so you immediately offered to dish up a bowl for Prim. "I can dish up Prim Mrs. Everdeen," you reassure.

Mrs. Everdeen shot you a grateful look and a small smile before going after Katniss. "You really look beautiful Prim, " you tell her while making a bowl of food.

"Thank you, " she responds quietly. Setting the bowl in front of her you turn to grab a dry rag and spoon then move back over to her. Gently, you tuck the rag into her shirt collar so that she wouldn't get any food on her and then hand her the spoon.

Pulling out the chair next to her you take a seat and let out a small tired sigh. "Aren't you gonna get ready?", Prim asks you.

Shooting her a half-smile "I will in a bit."

Glancing at Prim's porridge, you couldn't help but be saddened at the sight of it. It was so bland. Reaching into your pockets you check to see if there are any remaining berries and luck seemed to be on your side, because you pulled out six berries along with your pin.

Looking at Prim, she's staring at the porridge and pushing it around. Prim is like a little sister to you and it made your heart clench seeing her so nervous and anxious. Looking down at the berries in hand you grab the pin and hold it in your other hand. "Hey, Prim?" She looks up and you offer her the berries. She lets a smile come to her face and you take that as a sign to set them on the edge of her porridge so she can choose if she wants to eat them by themselves or mix them with the porridge.

You watch her for a second more watching the small smile slowly dissolve from her face she starts to no doubt get sucked back into her anxiety and fear again.

Looking down at the pin in your hand you run your thumb over it before letting out another small sigh.

"Hey, Prim?", you call out again.

She looks up at you again and you show her the pin, sliding it across the table to her. She looks at it puzzled but gently picks it up and inspects it.

"What is it?" She asks, brows scrunch in curiosity.

"It's a Mockingjay pin, " you answer with a smile. "I got it today, it'll protect you. As long as you have it on nothing bad will happen to you, I promise."

Prim stares at the pin for a moment and runs a finger over the cool metal just as you did a moment ago, before standing up to give you a hug. You hugged her back tightly remembering how scared you were at your first reaping.

Letting Prim go after a minute, she pulls back and you offer a smile. Gently taking the pin from her grasp, she gives a puzzled look again making you chuckle as you unclasp the pin before re-clasping it onto Prims shirt.

Looking back at Prim's face you widen you hug her one more time before telling her to finish eating. She sits back down right as Mrs. Everdeen walks back into the kitchen.

Getting up you send a smile to Mrs. Everdeen's and then head to the bedroom. You could hear water sloshing around in the bathroom so you assumed Katniss was taking a bath. That gave you time to get ready in the bedroom by yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Kind of a long chapter. I hope you enjoyed it though!

Sorry, it took so long to update!

-Goth☠

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 129 23
NOTE: This is a re-write of the original book, however I did not want to simply edit the existing chapters since it might not qualify for the Wattys...
50.6K 1.5K 19
"I think, erm, well, I think that I love you." he replied nervously, unsure of how she was going to take this revelation. "I think that I love you as...
72.5K 1.7K 69
When I was eleven. My whole world changed. Katniss' dad died in a mining accident. You think it wouldn't affect me but I loved him just as much as Ka...
8.7K 161 11
Peeta's and Katniss' life after the uprising. Do they get their happily ever after? *** "You don't see it do you?" He pauses and brushes some of my...