Amasa

By wordtyper

A young Princess in precolonial Zimbabwe has many obstacles to face before she can taste freedom. Will the we... More

Chapter One- A hidden life
Chapter two- Anticipation
Chapter three- The questioning
Chapter four- Royal anxiety
Chapter five- Chioneko, my beauty
Chapter Six- keep it quiet
Chapter seven- A snake in the grass
Chapter nine- mourning festivities
Chapter ten- Good intentions
Chapter eleven- Evening butterflies
Chapter twelve- Internal struggles
Chapter thirteen- Fleeting secrets
Chapter fourteen- The loathe of a man
Chapter fifteen- Questionable interactions
Chapter sixteen- Storm before the calm
Chapter seventeen - Mixed emotions
Chapter eighteen - Winnowing chaff
Chapter nineteen- Simmering conversations
Chapter twenty-Mending relations
Chapter Twenty One- Chasing love
Chapter Twenty Two- Murky relations
Chapter Twenty Three- Forever trepidation
Chapter Twenty Four- Dimming lights
Chapter Twenty Five- Inevitable Changes
Chapter Twenty Six- Arbitrament Preparations

Chapter eight- love or lie

52 8 3
By wordtyper

The day of the rain festival had finally arrived. There was a particular ambiance that held every Pokoda villager captive as they went with their regular routines that morning ,a certain flamboyance, a noticeable ambiance that held every villager captive and possessed them from within. The scent of celebration lingered in the air and made my nose tingle. Multicolored indigenous roots and flowers had been hand picked and laid out on fresh leaves in front of me,still sweating out the morning dew.

Runesu had shortly informed me of how the children had been searching for the best bark in the bush to clean the their teeth and acquire the status of the most impressive smile. Toddlers also picked up fleshy seeds to fill the dancers ankle shakers for the festival.

Runesu did not beam as she usually did. She continued to explain the glow on the villagers faces, the pungent scent of smoked meat down in Karimba and the exceptional vibrancy of cultural outfits and face paintings the villagers had tirelessly worked on.

Runesu carefully lifted the bowl that was previously sitting on my hut floor, scattered among other various accessories and paints that could drip drool out of other young girls and handsome men's mouths for different reasons. The bowl Runesu frequently picked up contained a vibrant purple, which she carefully dipped her finger in and gently dabbed on my full lips so they were even more pronounced. I sat quietly as Runesu put excessive effort to add to my so said eminent beauty.

"Runesu..."

"Hold on my Princess, I am almost done applying the stainer."

"I think what you have done is enough."

I spoke through her closed lips, trying to reduce their movement to a minimum.Runesu's frantic actions radiated desperation to keep our conversation in the channel of formality.

"I need to get every part the same shade my Princess."

Calmly taking the bowl from Runesu's caress, I placed the bowl back onto the floor. Runesu's change in character for the last couple of days was taking me aback, I had no sense of understanding to navigate in these new waters, all I could do for now was reciprocate Runesu's energy at par.

"No need for perfection, no one will notice such small details anyway."

"It is very necessary my Princess, many eyes will be on you...considering that you rarely socialize with the villagers freely as you do so during the festival."

Runesu's words released the nerves of trepidation I had been suppressing all morning.

"Even if their eyes are on me, perfection does not matter."

Every word left my mouth with the weight of deceit. Perfection was all I could think about. The villagers thoughts were just as important as my Fathers...growing up under King Toga's ruling, I knew that the perception of the tribe was just as powerful as the perception of the King. Runesu started rummaging through the accessories, carefully observing every detail to decide which anklets and necklaces were most deserving to be worn.

"I do not mean to cause you anxiety my Princess...but you are soon to come of age and now the Pokoda men are wondering if King Toga has already received your bride price from a foreigner. I myself am curious to why King Toga's approach to your marriage is so relaxed."

Calmly looking up and following every festivity line drawn on Runesu's body that followed all her natural crevices....from the uneven dots that happily sat on her face as the sun is in the morning sky to the colorful lines that made their way down her forearm running smoothly down, I admired the beauty in which Runesu easily wore her tradition. Her appearance exuded calm and confidence in her culture in the same way she had lightly spoken of expected Pokoda practices.

"We are all curious about many things Runesu however some things we never bother to ask."

I spoke referring to numerous underlying matters knowing the full effect my words had. My leeway to Runesu had to come to an end, the more she delayed telling me the reasons to her seemingly conniving like actions, the more questions cut me from within seeking an exit. Runesu chuckled softly as she stopped comparing the necklaces in her hands.

"If I were another person my Princess, I would qualify your statement as one to intimidate, or at least a mere attempt to."

It was the truth.Runesu's behavior had become too relaxed and sloppy...at times she would not show up to Pokoda with no explanation offered. I could only take so much, however my approach now seemed a little harsh.

"I am sorry Runesu; I just would prefer not to talk about my hand in marriage before we head down to Karimba because it is clouding my mood."

"Fair enough. Do let me dress you immaculately, it is the least I could do."

Runesu picked up a finely carved mahogany beaded necklace that was accentuated with various sized seeds. Subtly showing her small milky teeth in a broad smile, I unintentionally smiled back.

"King Toga expects you to look your very best, and if he sees you below the unsaid Pokoda standards ...the blame will fall on my shoulders considering that you turned away the extra help that was sent for your preparation."

Runesu walked on her knees and gently hung the well-polished necklace around my neck.

"You see now my Princess, you look like a Queen."

I ran my fingers down the necklace, smooth with no grooves or crevices, no disfigurations, similar to the look Runesu wanted me to reach, utter most perfection. My smile broadened towards Runesu.

"Thank you Runesu."

A comfortable silence fell between the two of us while Runesu kept on fumbling through items to see what next to add onto me.

"But you do know why I requested only for your company ..."

At that very moment, Runesu's stillness startled me. She had become part of the inanimate accessories she was rummaging through on the floor.It was difficult to tell if she was breathing.

"Runesu..."

"I have been aware of this for every moment that has passed after that evening my Princess."

Runesu finally said her words softly like a child who had finally confessed to stealing the chunky meat from the cooking pot on the open fire. With the sincere answer Runesu gave me, I was taken aback on how to carry on with their conversation. Projecting my thoughts was proving difficult.

"About that night..."

"That night..." Runesu echoed.

"Would you care to explain to me what you and Menhe were talking about?"

"Aren't you going to get in trouble with King Toga for sending away all those servants my Princess? He probably hand picked those girls for you himself."

I let out a deep sigh. Could Runesu at least comply? My patience had never run out like this on Runesu before, but today impatience clung in my breathing cavity as new leaves did so to a tree...branching out, clustering...filling out all the possible space.

"Runesu I am serious, I need to know or I might just end up making the mistake of reporting whatever you were doing to my father."

Squeezing beads of my anklet in her hand, Runesu did not attempt to look up as she responded back.

"Today you have shown me my inferiority my Princess, threatening my place by your side in order for me to open up to you. Although I am your servant, I really thought you would question me as a friend."

A sombre expression fell on Runesu's face.

"Look Runesu, I am tired of being played like a stone in children's nhodo games, do I always need to beg everyone to tell me anything in the palace that I hold inheritance to? Do not trample all over me because of my kindness, respect me for it. I am no longer asking you...I'm telling you."

"Even if I do tell you...what would you say my Princess? How did you find out? Where were you when it all took place? Why weren't you in your room?"

Runesu's lower lip slightly quivered as she spat her words with false confidence.

"I can risk the punishment to know the truth."

"The truth is I do not want to tell you."

My eyes reduced into slits.

"We may have known each other for a long time and may be of similar age, but you need to remember your place in this kingdom, I have the power to banish you Runesu."

Runesu couldn't understand what had come over me, I could see it on her face. It infuriated her.She hated disrespect and belittling, against such behavior she feared that she could not keep her self worth intact.

"We might be of similar age and I might still be your servant but I am your elder Amasa."

"I am going to tell father to banish you, actually I will banish you,"

"Go ahead."

"I will."

I fiddled with my necklace not knowing my next move. An awkward silence fell between the two of us.

"Should I finish preparing you for the festival or should I leave now Princess?"

"Later...I'll banish you later."

"Alright my Princess."

With a clenched jaw while collecting the remaining pieces of jewelry on the floor, Runesu frantically stuffed the accessories back into their designated basins, making herself busy. As a few moments passed, I could see Runesu being slowly washed down by her usual composure. she had been continually piercing me silently with an unsettling stare. I could tangibly feel the stare webbing on my skin.

"My Princess I didn't mean to be so rude..."

"Runesu I'm sorry for pushing you so far..."

 Runesu and I said in unison.

"I gravely overstepped my boundaries. I have been hesitant to tell you because I am honestly terrified of what might happen afterwards."

"Come and sit beside me."

Runesu was still kneeling on the floor, smoothing her skirt, she hesitated to look up.

"Just come Runesu."

Making her way next to me, she quietly sat beside me, leaving a reasonable distance between us.

"Runesu tell me why we are acting like strangers? We have been close like the river is to the riverbed, nothing coming between us, and now you tell me that you are terrified of what might happen if you let me know what is going on? My heart is bruised to think you would withhold anything from me especially for that reason. I would never hold back anything I am struggling with from you. I guess I was behaving badly earlier because I feel that we don't value our friendship the same, I seem to be more committed to it than you....leading me to feel taken advantage of."

I clasped my hands as I spoke to Runesu as if squeezing my hands would push the words out of my mouth.

"I value our friendship more than my life, I can swear on that my Princess, you mean more to me than you will ever know, and so, this is why my tongue ties every time I think of that night, of what to say or how to act, for it is going to change the way you see  me."

I reached out and placed my hand over Runesu's.

"Even if you told me that you were once a thief, I would never hold it against you, you own a big part of my heart."

Runesu lightly scoffed, her expression still looking fearful.

"And if it is worse than being a petty thief?"

"Then I will come to understand the situation."

Runesu slowly slid down to the floor going onto her knees in front of me. Bowing her head, her presence shriveled slowly, it was and uncomfortable and a pitiful sight.

"Why are you doing this Runesu, get up."

"My Princess, If I've ever lied to you, I am sorry, I only have been deceitful in order to protect you... I love you more than a blood relative, like my own sister..."

"Runesu why are you crying? Please get up."

Runesu started wiping away her tears with the back of her hand. My eyebrows furrowed with confusion.

"By any chance did you and Menhe have something to do with the dead Shintu man in the Tiramu river?"

Soft sobs escaped from Runesu's mouth.

"Is it true? Did you kill him Runesu?"

"No my Princess, I can swear on my life that I have never even conspired to take a life with these hands of mine. I promise that I have nothing to do with the appearances or death of the Shintu man."

I did not understand why Runesu included the appearance of the Shintu man in her promise...it seemed very odd and irrelevant.

"Why are you upset then?"

"My heart hurts because love has forced me to do the unforgivable."

What was Runesu on about? I couldn't grasp onto what she was saying.

Slowly looking up, I could see my reflection in her eye's glossiness from her tears.

"I am in love with Menhe my Princess...I am in love with Menhe."

"What did you just say?"

................................................................................................................................................................

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 1.8K 65
❖ A hundred years after a disease burned the world down, Adriana is dragged into a war she didn't know existed. The Aztec gods are fighting for their...
7.9K 1.8K 43
Freedom comes at a price and a young Earthal princess must live the life of somebody else, even if it means facing evil threats and impossible odds. ...
13.4K 2.9K 30
🏆 ONC AFRICA 2021 WINNER (SPOTLIGHT STORY) "Would you sabotage someone's career to protect your own?" Teniola Oyeyinka travels from New York to Nige...
40.9K 9.1K 35
Twenty-six-year-old Kasiemobi Ejindu knows something sinister has been moving on with her for as long as she could recall even though she's oblivious...