Experience Me

بواسطة KeajaT

Life is all about experiences. Experiencing situations, experiencing different places, things and most import... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
What's Next?

Chapter 13

9 0 0
بواسطة KeajaT

As I step outside the airport tonight, I am greeted with the fresh North Carolina air. Sitting on a nearby bench, I'm frequently greeted with "Hey, how you doin's" by passers on their way in or out. Feels so good to be home. I sit taking in the pleasant, hospitable atmosphere around me until my people-watching is suddenly interrupted by a loud squeal of my name. Soon I come face to face with my ecstatic little sister, Jade.

"Ari! O. M. G! I've missed you so much!" We both wrap our arms around each other in an excited hug.

"Jade you've gotten so big!" I stand back and look at her, my beam unwavering.

"I hope I get the same treatment," I hear my older brother Charles say from behind me. I turn with a wide grin and run into his arms. He engulfs me in a big bear hug lifting me off the ground. "We should get going," Charles utters through a laugh.

After a long two hour drive we arrive at my beloved childhood home. The vinyl fence surrounding the house welcomes me with open arms. As we make our way through the solid wood door, I am instantly transported back to my adolescent days of running around the house in denim jump suits and jelly sandals.

"Ariah honey, is that you?" My mother's silvery voice comes closer to my ears as she approaches from the dining room. "Get over here girl!" She ushers me over into a tight loving hug.

"I've missed you guys so much." I smile through my watering eyes and quickly wipe them away.

My mother grabs my arm and drags me with her towards the dining room. "Honey you have to fill us in on your big city life. Charlie take her bags up to her room," mom barks waving him away. Jade is quickly in tow. I begin filling my mother in on all there is to know about Georgia and the city life. Jade eagerly asks an array of questions and I happily answer.

"Oh dear, how is Gabrielle? And Devin, is it? Yes, yes. How are they?"

"They're good mom, Gabi is just loving the city and Devin has opened his own tattoo shop now. He's doing good in business." She smiles fondly.

"That's great dear. I've always liked that Devin. He's such a cutie. You guys would look great together."

"Ew," Jade screws up her face and I can't help the laugh that bubbles out.

"Yes, "ew" Jade. Keep that thought of guys for as long as possible."

She nods and is off on her way. "Enough about me mom, how have you been?" I ask while shifting on the couch to face her.

"I've been fine sweetie, but don't think we're done talking about you." She points her chubby finger at me prompting an affectionate smile to grace my face. It feels like ages since I've seen my mother. Sitting here staring at her warm brown eyes and caramel skin, my heart swells in joy. My phone buzzes in my pocket causing me to direct my attention to it instead of my mother. A text message notification pops up in my screen from Silas.

Have you made it safely?

A small smile floats around my lips and I quickly respond before shoving my phone in my pocket. Suspicion apparent in her face, my mother folds her arms, silently waiting for me to explain. I stand and kiss her cheek before heading to bed. "I love you mom, I'll tell you later."

"You better," I hear her yell from downstairs.

I wake up the next morning to the delicious smell of breakfast. I roll over to check my phone and note another text from Silas.

Good, I'm picking you up tomorrow. Don't resist.

I shake my head and type back:

You don't even know when I'll be home.

Hopping out of bed, I slide my feet into my Elmo slippers and mosey to the kitchen where the table is set with eggs, waffles, pancakes, bacon and sausage. "Morning," I sing as I start to make a plate for myself.

"Someone's cheery this morning. Anything to do with the mystery person from yesterday?" She wasted no time jumping straight to the point. I ignore her insinuation as I fill my plate with eggs and a waffle. I hear her light snicker as I pull up a seat at the island in the kitchen.

"I see you're still not eating meat," Charles acknowledges coming into the kitchen.

"Duh Charlie! Who still eats meat?" I laugh at Jade's obvious offense to Charlie's statement.

As I douse my waffle in syrup and powdered sugar, my mother starts up again. "So Ariah, care to fill me in yet?"

She's so nosy.

"He's nobody mom." I mentally slap myself at my dumb response. I immediately wish I can take it back once she starts firing off questions.

"So it's a he? What does he look like ? What does he do for a living? How old is he?"

"Mom!" I whine through a mouth full of eggs.

"Ariah Miller, what have I told you about talking with your mouth full?" I roll my eyes and finish chewing. I catch a glimpse of my brother trying to hide his obvious amusement. I chuck a balled up napkin at him causing his resolve to crack.

The table fell silent as I sat and ate my breakfast. My mother's silent eagerness and my brother's probing eyes both causing me to shift in my seat. I smile awkwardly sitting my fork down and sliding from the table. "I'm full. I think I'm going to go shower." I quickly make my way into the bathroom and under the warm water.

I honestly wouldn't know where to start with Silas. There really isn't much to tell. We met, we went out to lunch a few times, had one date, that didn't particularly end well, and we've had a few conversations. Part of me feels like I'm overthinking the situation, maybe I was being over dramatic. No, I was being careful. Silas Wilson is boyfriend material and that's dangerous. I would be lying if I said the invisible pull towards him doesn't exist. My thoughts are paused by the sound of the door to my room closing. I finish up in the shower and wrap the towel around my body. Making my way out, I find my mom sitting on my bed with an apologetic smile on her face.

"Your locks are getting so long love," she initiates. I smile as I fidget with my towel awkwardly. "Come sit with me sweetheart." I do as she bids.

She starts. "You know you can talk to me about anything. I haven't seen you shy away from talking about things since your high school days Ari. What's up?" I remain silent for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"His name is Silas."

I can feel her smile from beside me. "Where did you two meet?"

"At the club. I approached him," I explain, choosing to leave out the detail of him being an investor at my job.

A soft chuckle escapes her and she nudges me. "Atta girl." Deciding not to continue beating around the bush, I start to fill her in.

"He wants more than I'm willing to give mom. I'm not looking for a relationship, but I guess he is. I won't allow myself to get hurt-"

"Again," she finishes. I nod. She wraps her arm around my shoulder and I let my head fall onto hers. 

"Sweetheart, let me fill you in on a little secret. Life is a roller coaster. You have your ups, your downs and your twists and turns. You never know what's around the next corner. But that's where the excitement comes in because you get to say "what's next"." She lifts me up and places her firm hands on my naked shoulders. "I know Dreya hurt you, but you can't let that hold you back from experiencing something new. Turn off the emotionally unavailable sign and open up your door." A lone tear slides down my face and she wipes it away before pulling me in for a comforting hug. "Now get dressed," she orders before marching out of the room. I laugh and do as I've been told with a new sense of determination.

We all spent the day shopping and catching up on missed time. I lay in bed plagued by my thoughts when an incoming call from Silas gets my attention. I answer, ignoring my rising heart beat.

"Yes, Silas?"

His husky laughter filters through the phone. "Nice to see your attitude remains in tact. What time do you land tomorrow?"

"9pm."

"Why so late?" I sense some annoyance in his voice.

"Because I haven't seen my family in over a year and I want as much time as possible. What, you miss me?"

"Are you flirting with me, Miss Miller?" I'm mentally appreciating that he can't see the blush evident on my face.

"I do believe I am Mr. Wilson." I don't miss the quiet laugh he releases. I make a mental image his pearly teeth showing through his plump lips.

"You should get some sleep. See you tomorrow night Miss Miller."

"Goodnight Mr. Wilson." The phone clicks and I fall asleep with a smile on my face.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

2.8K 318 34
In the heart of Hollis, Queens, New York, a poignant tale of enduring love unfolds. Todd and Isis, once inseparable neighbors, forge an unbreakable b...
189K 12.2K 50
Vision of Love Book 2 *read book 1 before this* You're special to me. You're the only one who I wouldn't mind losing sleep for, the only one who I ca...
1M 52.4K 31
To Adriana, her last year in college couldn't get any better - she was in the top of her class, her school radio show was ranked the college's most l...
25.3K 514 18
R-rated, for mature audiences! So, where do I start? My name is Elizabeth. I'm 26 and I'm bored as f*ck. You could think I have a perfect life. My h...