The Close Strangers

By scribblesoasis

The life of Mark Lee, a guy who never has a girlfriend throughout his twenty years of life, suddenly changes... More

c a s t
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
last words from me

t h i r t y - e i g h t

696 49 9
By scribblesoasis

Mark decides to accompany Yerim to get a taxi for her father, getting back together to where their friends are after Kim Junmyeon leaves.

But, in the middle of the way, Yerim gets distracted by the squirrels that run around the road they are walking.

She squeals in excitement, letting Mark's hand go approach the squirrels.

"Yerim-ah..." Mark warns her yet he knows he'll get ignored, anyway.

Yerim takes steps the empty bench where a squirrel is staying. She makes sure that she doesn't make a sudden move, so it won't run away.

Mark watches her, seeing how she smiles even brighter when the squirrel doesn't run away.

"Mark, oh my God," She looks at Mark, mouthing without releasing any sound. "Could you please take a picture of me?" She asks which Mark does right away.

This is the only way to make her leave the squirrels alone, so that could go back immediately to their friends.

He puts his phone back into the pocket of his coat, telling Yerim that it's time for them to leave.

"Kim Yerim, I'll count in five... four..."

"Ah, wait a minute!" Yerim whines, still busy taking some pictures of the squirrels, meanwhile, the one — which was staying beside her — has already gone.

Mark sighs, still not planning to get closer and drag her away. "We do have that one in Korea, Yerm. There are even a lot more," He says.

"Still, Mark— this is an England squirrel," She responds without making any effort to break her eyes from the squirrels.

"Yerim-ah, come on," Mark calls her for the third times under a minute.

He's giving up when Yerim suddenly changes her interest into a dove that suddenly perches on the hands of the bench where she is sitting.

He takes her hand, forcing her to get up. "Look, your hands are so cold," Mark says when he feels the coldness of Yerim's hand, "Are you cold?"

Yerim shakes her head, but whine instead because Mark is dragging her away.

"Don't lie," He stops walking as he looks at her.

Mark puts both of Yerim's hands on her pocket before tightening her coat around her body. Then, he puts his hand around her shoulder, pulling her closer as he leads their walk again.

"Mark."

Yerim suddenly stops walking which causes Mark to the same thing spontaneously. He looks down to her in a way to look her in the eyes.

"What's up?" He asks.

"About the unfinished thing... we talked hours ago," She takes a break in between, but Mark waits for her to finish it, "What was that about?"

Mark frowns, "Which one?"

"The one... when you said— ah, I don't know how to say it though," Yerim runs her fingers through her hair.

"What did I say before?" Mark asks because he has no idea what she's talking about.

Yerim sighs, forcing herself to look at him in the eyes.

"About the thought of dating me."

"The tho— oh, that one..." Mark remembers it now. "Wait, were you— don't tell me you've been thinking about it this whole time," He says, causing Yerim to look down because that's exactly what she did.

Mark drops his jaw as he grabs her shoulder, "You did?!"

Yerim whines, "Don't be like that. You make me feel bad."

"I was trying to distract myself for the whole time because I can't stop thinking about it," She continues.

Mark can't help but laugh as he pulls Yerim into a hug, petting her head, "Ya... I didn't mean to make you overthink, but why don't you believe in me though?"

"Because I thought you really were going to say something, but you're just not ready to tell me yet," Yerim responds with her face drowning on Mark's chest.

He pulls his face away, so he's able to see her with his arms still wrapping her, "That's right. I wasn't ready to say it."

The fact how Yerim gathered her courage and managed to ask Mark about this makes him feel it's the time to talk about it.

"But, now I'm ready," He says.

"So, you really lied to me?!" Yerim asks in disbelief, "I thought there are no lies nor secrets between us!"

"I'm sorry..." He chuckles, holding her closer, "You know me too well, Yerm."

"So, what was that about?" She asks as she pulls herself away from Mark.

He takes a deep breath, moving his hands to Yerim's waist.

"Can I get a kiss before I tell you though?" He asks casually, receiving a hit on his arm instead.

"No," Yerim answers, "There won't be one until you tell me what that was."

"So, I'll get one after I tell you?" He makes sure.

Yerim shakes her head again, causing Mark to pout slightly. "You won't get any if I don't feel satisfied by the information you're about to tell me in the end, Mark Lee," She explains as she holds herself to stay on her will.

Mark is just too cute. It's actually hard to resist, but she must know about it first.

"Do you know what my password is?" He suddenly asks.

"The password of your phone?"

"Uh-huh," Mark nods, "Do you remember it?"

"I'm not sure..." Yerim is confused about why Mark talks about the password of his phone instead. "Don't change the subject, Mark," She warns him.

He chuckles instead as he rests his head on Yerim's shoulder for seconds. "I'm not changing the subject," He lifts up his face, "I'm really about to tell you now."

Yeri squints her eyes, but she answers, "I don't remember it anymore. You know how I use the Face ID these times."

"You shouldn't have forgotten that, Kim Yerim," Mark replies in disappointment, "That's basically the key."

She frowns, "Well... should I try to remember it?"

Mark nods vigorously, "You should. It's a date, Yerm."

"2017... August..." Mark tries to help her.

"Ah, right," Yerim nods as she remembers it, "Isn't it 2nd? Your birthday?"

"It's 15th," Mark corrects her right away.

"Sorry..." She apologizes before sighing. "So, what happened in 15th of August 2017?" She asks, causing Mark to gaps in disbelief as he removes his hands from her.

"You really didn't remember anything?" He asks, receiving a nod from Yerim who had drowned in confusion.

She suddenly feels guilty, seeing how he suddenly looks really disappointed. But, he notices the changed expression on her too, so he puts his hands into the pocket of his coat while looking at her.

"I was in Japan by that time," He explains.

"Really?" She raises her eyebrows in excitement even though she doesn't know why Mark telling her this.

"Oh my God, Yerm. Thank God, I love you—" He says because her reaction is purely disappointing, "—or I'll already leave you here."

Yerim whines, pulling her hands out of her pocket to hold Mark on the waist, "I'm sorry, I really have no idea why you're telling me this."

It makes Mark holds his smiles back. "What did you do by that time, Yerm?" He asks instead.

"When? In 15th of August? How could I remember? It's already two years away from now," Yerim answers in a low voice, feeling desperate by how Mark makes it look like she should've remembered something about it too.

"It's the time when you attended Ariana Grande's concert, wasn't it?" Mark makes sure, helping her to regain her memories again.

Yerim gaps, holding Mark's coat tighter, "Oh God, right! I attended her concert in Japa—" It only takes split seconds for Yerim to realize something, "And you were also in— wait a minute."

She pushes Mark away spontaneously, trying to figure out things by her own while looking at Mark — who is deeply hoping she could remember it now.

"It's the time when both of us were in Japan."

Mark groans desperately, "Yes, but that's not the point!"

"Then, what?"

"It's the day when we met each other for the first time, Kim Yerim," He says.

"Is it?! How could you remember— oh wait, that's not the main point," She raises her hand, talking as she emphasizes every word, "How could you use that password even before we got close to each other? Even before we started dating?"

Mark only smiles, causing Yerim to become more curious.

"How?! Tell me," She's about to take Mark's hand again, but he's already taking steps back before running away from her.

Yerim only watches him and thinks she needs to run around anytime soon — trying to catch him like little kids — when Mark actually just lead her into a quieter spot in the park, not far from where they were standing earlier.

"I was about to leave you if you were really running away for nothing," She says once she's close enough to him.

Mark chuckles, "It takes too much energy. I'm out of it."

Yerim stops in front of him, wrapping her body with her arms. "So, are you going to tell me or not?" She asks, "You better do though."

"Can I get a kiss first?" Mark asks, causing Yerim to sigh deeply.

"No, Ma—"

Yerim can't finish her words when Mark really gives her a peck on the lips, smiling widely since he finally gets one.

"I swear to God..." Yerim mumbles before shouting, "Tell me now!"

Mark immediately protect himself with his arms when Yerim suddenly hits him in annoyance. He knows it's actually her way to hide her shyness because of his sudden kiss.

"Okay, listen," Mark catches her hands, pulling it down to hold it firmly. He looks at her right in the eyes, "That's the password I've been using since the first day we met."

"It happened by accident though," He says, "And long short story, the time when I came back to the hotel in Japan — right after my family met you, I just wanted to change my password randomly. But, I had no idea what the number I should get. So, I just thought about the date of the day which is August 15, 2017."

Yerim listens to the story without breaking the eye contact.

"I wasn't thinking much about it," He continues, "But, after I came back to Korea, I just couldn't stop thinking about you, Yerm."

"Are you kidding me?!" Yerim asks in disbelief.

He shakes his head, "Not at all."

"Then— how co— ya, you'd been acting through those times? You used to hate me so much!" She looks really surprised yet disappointed, "Tell me more about it."

"But, can I get another kiss before I continue?" Mark asks.

"You can't, Ma—"

She gets another peck already, causing her to look down in embarrassment.

"Okay, so—" Mark decides to continue right away before Yerim gets mad because of his action, "Do you remember the time when I told our friends that I used to have a crush on someone?"

"Arinnie?"

Mark rolls his eyes, "Not Arinnie! Another one."

"Oh, the one that you said she's gone all of a sudden?" Yerim asks, receiving a nod from him.

"I was talking about you. It was you, Yerm."

"What the heck is going on in here?" Yerim drops her jaw, feeling fooled, "Don't joke around, Mark. That doesn't make sense at all."

She pulls her hands by forces, "I'm not in the mood to be fooled around li—"

"No, Yerimmie, Yerimmie, listen to me," Mark suddenly lows his voice down as he cups her face, so she has no other choice but to look at him, "I never fell in love before. It was hard for me to recognize the feelings that love brings."

"And back then, the first time I met you in Japan — I really felt something that I couldn't describe. I thought it's just because you're pretty and I knew we're the same age."

"But, after I came back to Korea, I couldn't stop thinking about you," Mark explains and Yerim can see how his eyes are saying the truth, "It took months for me to stop searching about your social media, hoping I could see you again — and I thanked God so much that I could do that in the end."

"But, I really didn't know what those feelings meant, Yerm. The hope, the sudden thought, the imagination, everything that you brought to me just because of a two-hours meeting that already happened months ago."

"On that time, I bet you didn't even remember anything abo— ya, are you crying?" Mark pulls her face closer, seeing how Yerim's eyes become teary all of sudden.

The tears can't be held back anymore and there Yerim is, suddenly crying over the words that haven't even finished to be spoken out.

"I swear I haven't finished yet," Mark says as he starts to wipes her tears that falling down to the cheeks.

"Then, keep going," She responds with a shaky voice, causing Mark to chuckle.

"Where was I though?" He asks, trying to remember. "Ah, I knew you didn't even remember me, right?" Mark does a cross check all of a sudden.

Yerim sighs deeply, "Do you want an honest answer?"

"Yes, I didn't even remember you until I was informed that I'll be lived in your house," Yerim answers even before Mark responds to her question.

"I knew it," Mark nods, "What a shame."

"Anyway," He suddenly squishes her cheek harder, causing her to whine, "You had no idea how surprised when I knew you're going to live in my house."

"And started from there, I pretended to be the one who hates you the most."

"And why is that?!" Yerim raises her voice unconsciously.

"Because—" Mark leans forward, giving another sudden kiss that is deeper than the kisses before pulling back right away, "—I didn't want those indescribable feelings to come back."

"And guessed what?" He asks, not minding how Yerim is still shocked because of his third kiss in the last ten minutes, "You still brought those feelings back and it drove me crazy just to identify it."

"Well, guess what?" Yerim copies his words, "I was feeling crazier to hide all my feelings behind, getting hurt so many times, acting like I don't know you, I don't like you, I don't miss you, I don't want to get closer to you when what happened was the opposite one, you dumb—"

Yerim groans loudly when Mark kisses her which causes her to stop talking.

"I swear, stop kissing me!" She shouts, pushing Mark away so he finally stops cupping her face.

But, Mark opens his arms to pulls her into a hug instead.

"Mark Lee... I swear..." She warns him, but Mark mocks her by copying her instead.

She gives up right away because the warmth that she gets from his hug can't be rejected at all. She feels safe and comfortable by it.

"Yerim-ah," He calls her as he rests his chin on top of her head, "I'm really sorry I took so long — to recognize these feelings, to finally admitting what I want, and to let you know that our feelings are actually mutual."

"I'm sorry I was a jerk, I hurt you a lot, I made you cry," He continues, "And I'm sorry for being one of the reasons why you feel like you hit your rock bottom."

"Yeah, thank God you notice that," Yerim mumbles, feeling satisfied because she doesn't have to yell while complaining to him.

Mark chuckles, tightening his hug, "But, Yerm. You don't have any idea of how much I prayed to God to show me the way."

"If I could be honest, I always said—" Mark takes a deep breath, "—God, if the girl who is sleeping in the room next to mine is the one that you've prepared for me, please let me know."

"If she'll become the one who brings happiness even at my saddest point of life, give me a sign."

"If she'll become the one who stays beside me until the end of the time, let me get her."

Mark moves his head, bringing his mouth right to beside Yerim's ear, "But, if she's not, I hope she'll find someone who teaches her how to love herself and love her than anyone else — because I know she deserves that."

"I didn't even sure that I like you that way. I forced myself to see you as my sister. I even let myself believe that you're dating someone else — because I believed it's not love," He says every word slowly, "But, my heart did make me believe the opposite thing, Yerm, all of the time."

"And you have no idea that I thank God every night," Mark can already feel Yerim's body shakes again, "That you're in my arms now, Yerm."

"I always ask him to let us appreciate each moment since we have no idea what the future held for us."

"Damn, I really want to kiss you though, but I know you'll hate me to do that again — especially because we're in public," Mark mumbles as he strokes her hair to calm her down.

"Oh, that's a nice angle."

Mark turns his head when he hears a familiar voice. He raises his eyebrows in surprise when he sees Yoojung with her phone, taking picture of Yerim and him.

"Your expression is bad, make it more natural," Mina complains as she sees the result of the newest picture.

"What are you guys doing?" Mark asks.

"What are you guys doing?!" Taeyong repeats his question, "Did you suddenly forget that you came to this park with your whole team? We waited for an hour for you two to come back and here you are, huh? How could you—"

"Kim Yerim, why are you crying?" Doyeon asks her, seeing how her shoulder are still shaking.

"Ya, what did you do? Did you break up with her? Huh?" Sooyoung asks, pushing Mark's shoulder with her hand lightly and it makes him feels intimidated, honestly.

"I— I didn't!" Mark replies.

"Park Sooyoung, how could they fight and even break up?" Seulgi asks, walking closer with Jaehyun on her side, "They literally acted like lovey-dovey the whole time."

Jaehyun nods in agreement, "They even kissed four times."

"Wasn't it thrice though?" Ten makes sure.

"Wait, I thought it was five times?" Mark suddenly replies too as he lets Yerim go because the girls are checking her out.

Jaehyun chuckles as he shakes his head, "No, Mark. It's four times."

"Oh, should I make it five then?" He asks, already getting a hit on the back from Yerim even before he could turn around to face her.

"Should you two rent a room for tonight?" Chan asks, causing everyone to gasp, but can't hide the secondhand embarrassment also.

Taeyong shakes his head, "No, no. This is a personal issue, so let let's stop talking about this."

He tells everyone that they need to go back now since the other team and their dance instructors are still waiting for them to come back.

"You owe us, you know?" Mina says to Mark on their way back, "We literally searched for the whole park, being afraid to be separated because we thought we've lost Yerimmie and you."

Mark chuckles before apologizing, "There was something up, so I needed to have some privacy with her. I completely forgot that we should come back soon."

"Yeah, of course," Yoojung rolls her eyes, "I heard you'll forget the times while spending times with someone you love."

The two of them leaves Mark behind since Yerim is stopping herself to walk, waiting for Mark to approach her.

He puts his hands around her shoulder right away as she puts her on his waist.

"What's up?" He asks, walking side by side — looking like they are glued to each other.

Yerim shakes her head, leaning it against the side of his chest.

"It feels unreal to think about your words earlier."

"Why?" Mark asks right away.

"The fact that we actually have feelings for each other since the start... That's something I never imagined, Mark."

Mark chuckles, "Technically, I've been liking you even before you do."

"Why, Mark?" She asks, "We could be together since months before we actually did if you confessed to me right away."

"That's impossible," Mark replies, "Why didn't you confessed to me too then?"

"That's also impossible," Yerim says, "Kim Yerim doesn't have enough courage to do that."

"It's our fate, Yerm," He replies, squeezing the side of her shoulder.

She looks up to him, smiling in response. Mark brings his face closer to her, giving her a kiss on the forehead and lips for a split second.

"And that's the fifth one."

The truth is  — no matter how brief or long our first meeting. No matter how far or close we are. No matter how long we've waited, we've cried, we're broken, or even we've been dying to give these feelings up.

The fate has its own way to bring you to me.

We're not acting as two strangers to forget the mutual feelings we have  it was just God's way to make us falling more in love with each other instead.

By putting us close to each other but separating us a second after that to make us realizing what we really want.

"You're the one whom I want, Mark," Yerim says heartfully, "Thank you for completing me."

— THE END —

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 580 33
Mark thought he was taking a normal office job. But when things take a turn, he finds love around every corner of the office. Mark x NCT -ONGOING- :...
28.4K 1.6K 13
❝i waited only to see you smile again.❞ Donghyuck is in a coma and Mark goes through a rough journey as he reminisce his memories with his boyfr...
60.5K 3.5K 21
What happens when single dad Yukhei meets single dad Mark? "Nobody wants to date a twenty-year-old dude with a kid" or at least that was what yukhei...
232K 10.5K 21
a sad, lonely boy seeking for comfort from a rental girlfriend service