Shadows and Stars ✔

By annabelwrites_

He gave me adrenaline, passion and thrill. I just didn't know at what cost... When small town girl Mia Thorpe... More

Author's Note
Soundtrack
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Ending Note 🤍
Book 2!
WATTYS!

Chapter One

672 38 89
By annabelwrites_

The grey September clouds blanket the skies of London, only a slither of sunlight able to seep through the cracks to dust my skin.

It would probably be enough to dampen anyone else's mood. But not me. Not today. Today, I'm too damn happy to care about the decisions of Mother Nature.

Hurling the last of my boxes from the car, I take quick and eager strides into my new home.

Inside, my dad and brother are lifting bags, emptying boxes and carrying furniture. My best friend Hailey is stood with a beaming grin, her emerald eyes glistening against the persistent yet minimal sunlight filtering through the tiny kitchen window.

And I just smile. My cheeks ache because I'm smiling so damn much. Because I'm too damn excited.

London is so different to home. Home is a small seaside town with a population of about five-hundred. Everyone knows each other and everyone knows everyone else's business. London is a concrete jungle of excitement, opportunity and madness.

London is going to be my new beginning.

     "Right!" My dad emerges from the lounge, his fingers raking through his brown-grey hair. "I think that should be about everything." He slaps his hands together, looking pretty pleased with himself.

Behind him, my brother Lucas exhales, trying his hardest to not let it show that he can't be bothered with the laborious task of moving me in. Despite his eight year age advantage on me, he's never been one to show much emotion toward me. Well, not the nice emotions anyway. I mean, he's protected me like an older brother should, but equally he can get a little controlling. A little overbearing.

With slow movements, my dad walks towards me and pulls me to him. A lump gets lodged in my throat and seems to expand at an unhealthy rate because I know this is where I bid him goodbye.

All my life I've lived with my dad and Lucas. We never had much but we had everything we needed. I got a job in a local coffee shop as soon as I turned fourteen because I wanted to help my dad. Lucas worked as a builder since he was sixteen. We wanted to help because dad only had us, and we only had him. We weren't blessed with the presence of grandparents because they had passed away before we could share a bond, and when my mum was ripped from our lives suddenly by cancer, we grew closer than we had ever been before.

Because it was only us. And because of that, I never travelled anywhere. I never wanted to leave my dad.

Until now.

Not that I wanted to leave him, mind, but the opportunity of an apprenticeship in London was too good to refuse. Of course I'm scared. Petrified, even. Moving to London is a big enough leap in itself, but equally, I'm more thrilled now than I've ever been before.

It'll be hard for dad. The three-or-so hour journey between us will put hurdles in our paths. But I'll make it work. I'm sure of that. I'll still have term breaks and I can still take annual leave. There will be plenty of opportunity to get together with him.

     "You take care now," Dad groans, his lips kissing my hair. "I'll miss you so much."

I look upward, my dad's hazel eyes beaming back at me. "I will dad. Thank you for bringing me."

When I turn to Lucas, he just stands limply against the door. His mouse-brown hair is scruffy and dances across his forehead. His skin is creamy and pale—like mine—and his lips don't move from the flat line they've found themselves in. He looks to me, but doesn't budge.

     "Come on Lucas," I tease, my lips bending. "Just one hug?"

I can sense the smile that's itching behind his mouth. Sure enough, he lets it out. "Come here," he says, his arms outstretching. He takes me into his arms and sucks in a breath. "Don't fuck this up now Mia."

I giggle. It's the best I'll get from Lucas so I take it. "Thanks Lucas," I say, pulling back to allow them to sidestep me out of the narrow hallway.

They move to the door, but I don't miss the look that Hailey and Lucas share. Of course it goes unnoticed to my dad but I catch it—the look of lust and craving. I stifle a laugh; they've always had a crush on each other, despite the age difference.

Dad turns one last time, his lips curving with proudness. "Bye Mia. I love you."

I bite my lip. I halt my tears. "I love you too Dad."

Hailey throws them a wave, and I let out a few sharp breaths as they head back to my dad's parked car at the bottom of the pathway.

It hurts to watch them go. When the car is finally out of sight I have to battle with myself to not break down. I have to be strong. This is my new life and I'm going to own it.

When I eventually turn, Hailey is eyeing me with a look that suggests we're going to have fun here. Of course that look immediately wipes the sadness away from me.

She grits her teeth. "Oh my god!" She wails and flaps her hands, her long blonde, silky hair dancing against her shoulders. "We're going to have so much fun! I can't believe you're finally here!"

I'm the sensible one out of us both, but even I can't stop myself when my feet bounce against the wooden floor, the narrow house squeaking against our excitement.

Hailey moved here a year ago. She was accepted into London City University and was lucky enough to move into the two-bed house her dad rented out. Being an only child will allow you privileges such as that, with parents in high-end jobs and excess amounts of disposable income. Still, she made sure to keep the spare room free for me when the news broke of my apprenticeship. When the previous lodger moved out two months ago, her dad let her live alone until I moved here.

     "Let's shop now, pack later," Hailey tells me, her menacing smile stretching across her face. "Oh but I'll show you your room first."

I giggle, my brain whirring with rhapsody.

The house is small, but it's perfect. The houses down this street are all the same—terraced, bricked, narrow and squashed closely together. But I don't care. What matters is that the house is everything we need, if not more. The kitchen is compact, boasting black and white tiles and a small dining area. The lounge sits comfortably at the back which overlooks the box-shaped garden. Upstairs, our rooms are small but cosy. We have one bathroom and we'll need to accept the minimal furniture that Hailey's dad bought. But it's fine—a bed, a desk and a wardrobe is all I'll need. 

      "It's plain I know," Hailey says as we stand in the doorway to my new bedroom, observing the blank, magnolia painted walls. "But decorate it how you like!" Her arms lift in front of her.

I stifle a laugh. "It's perfect." I pad to the small window, smiling at the garden outside that's being assaulted by the autumn winds.

     "We should go get some groceries," Hailey says, taking out her phone. "It's getting late and if we don't—holy shit! No way!"

I find myself turning in a rapid movement. My dark eyes are wide and my long, dark hair whips against my back. At the doorway, Hailey is gawping at her phone like she just received a text from a celebrity. "What's up?" I ask.

Hailey's round mouth morphs into a smile. A vexatious smile. "Holly just text me. Plasma are having a massive student night tonight!"

I scoff. "Plasma?"

Hailey clicks her tongue, like she's so disappointed that I didn't know that what that was. "Uh! Only one of London's biggest and best nightclubs! We're going!"

I laugh through a gasp. "Okay. Not tonight," I say, my hands in front of me. "I'm getting up early tomorrow to explore the city."

Hailey rolls her eyes; she's not satisfied with that answer. "Mia. It's your first night here. It calls for celebration!"

Does it? Is that a thing? First night celebrations?

She eyes me again. "Mia? Please?" Her green eyes are longing, pleading. Her arms cross and she pushes out her lip. "Come on. Please."

My head flies backward. I haven't even unpacked and after the long journey today I don't even feel like I have the energy. But then I gaze at Hailey again, and with just a look to her playful green eyes I somehow find myself smiling and digging out potential outfits for the night I have ahead of me.

It's safe to say that we didn't go grocery shopping.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 43.4K 44
ELLE TAYLORS Haverhill was supposed to be a fresh start for me. The only thing I didn't expect was to grab Carter's Knight and his friends attention...
325K 7.1K 46
Harley-Blair Thompson is afraid to speak... Parker Sorrisi is afraid to love... She has a personality disorder and he doesn't know. A slightly awkwar...
306K 247 36
Ellie Mattice is offered the opportunity of a lifetime when she gets accepted as an international student at a leading performing arts school in Lond...
3.5K 664 17
ONC 2024 SHORTLISTER || After two opposites find comfort in each other and have an instant connection but can't be together, they collide again mont...