Days Away - Bucky Barnes x Re...

By vulpixawesome02

'His bed felt empty, a feeling he'd never had before. He glanced at his watch, flicking through numbers each... More

Bucky's Side
Chapter 1 - Day 4
Chapter 2 - Day 3 Part 1
Chapter 3 - Day 3 Part 2
Chapter 4 - Day 2 Part 1
Chapter 5 - Day 2 Part 2
Chapter 6 - Day 2 Part 3
Chapter 7 - Day 1
(Y/N)'s Side
Chapter 8 - Day 4
Chapter 10 - Day 3 Part 2
Chapter 11 - Day 2 Pt 1
Chapter 12 - Day 2 Part 2
Chapter 13 - Day 2 Pt 3
Chapter 14 - Day 1

Chapter 9 - Day 3 Pt 1

2.6K 88 24
By vulpixawesome02

With a silent groan (Y/N) rolled over in her bed, feeling the coldness of the morning settle on her skin. Sitting up slowly in her crisp white bed sheet, she brushed the sleep from her long eyelashes, running a hand lazily through her messy (h/c) hair. She noted with slight amusement how her star-patterned quilt lay discarded on the floor beside her bed, presumably kicked off during her slumber in the night. Stretching her arms out to relieve the tension, her pink lips let out a sigh. Something was off about the morning, the want to place her finger on the feeling itching in her mind. Glancing down at the faint glow on her arm, she finally placed it. Her bed was empty, yet she felt like she didn't belong in it anymore. A longingness to have arms around her waist, and a big spoon to her childish little spoon. She chuckled softly at her thoughts, pondering how much of a loser she was to feel this way. She flopped back harshly onto the bed, pulling her sheets closer to her. Her hand stretched out once again, the dull rays of morning hitting her (s/c) skin, warming it ever so slightly. Her fingers reached as far as they could, searching for something else lost in the night. Finally, her fingers felt the soft plush of what she was searching for. Grasping and pulling the bear closer to her, (Y/N) nuzzled her nose into the fabric.

Childish, yes, no doubt about it. But this bear was something more than that. While strangely enough, (Y/N) didn't collect jewellery like other women her age (Although she definitely wasn't like women her age), but her collection was inadvertently large. Collecting items with memories attached was her favourite, and while she wouldn't admit it out loud, her plush toys were the gems of her collection. The one she held in her hands wasn't new, it was rather the opposite, around 30 years old. It was a gift she received from her father, more like an apology. Shaking her head to will the moisture in her eyes away, she held the bear tighter. An apology and memory made. A memory of her finally meeting her father, and an apology for not being there sooner. Letting out another sigh for the morning, (Y/N) sat up once again, this time finally being ready to start the day. No living in the past today, tomorrow, or the next. No, it was about her future now.

"Ahh, (Y/N) good to see you finally awake this morning," Charles greeted as (Y/N) entered the kitchen, sitting at the table quietly and blowing on his coffee lightly to cool the hot liquid. A smile made its way to (Y/N)'s lips upon seeing him, his bald head gleaming softly in the dawn light. Her second father practically, was still so casual around (Y/N), even with her connections to the world around her.

"Morning Grandpa," (Y/N) joked, showing off her pearly whites with a grin. She let out a hum of content as she grasped a cup from the cupboard, closing it softly before pouring herself a glass of water.

"(Y/N), would you mind getting me a cup of coffee?" Charles asked, looking over at (Y/N) who froze up. A cup of coffee, oh no...

"Ahh, you don't know how to make one?" Charles elaborated, smirking as (Y/N) nodded, red overcoming her cheeks out of embarrassment. Charles being able to read minds at least meant she didn't have to vocally admit it. But still, being unable to use a coffee machine although she had been around for over 5 decades was a touch mortifying.

"Don't worry my dear, I can get one later myself, while I'm at the meeting," Charles explained. (Y/N) raised her eyebrows at this statement.

"What meeting?" She asked casually, trying to come off as if she wasn't attempting to drag information out of the older man. He chuckled in response to her, shaking his head affectionately at her behaviour.

"We're starting to open communications with the Avengers, hoping for a mutual agreement of assistance. Possibly directing those at risk towards our facilities, instead of locking them up," Charles informed, wheeling himself over slowly to sit in front of (Y/N).

"I thought your father had informed you, you're required there too today..." Charles trailed off, looking towards her with a smirk on his face. She sighed softly, letting out a soft curse under her breath. Of course, her father had forgotten to tell her, with everything that was discussed last night it was easy to see why he neglected to share this information.

"Mornin' Charles," The gruff voice of her father floated into the room, with the groaning of the coffee machine signalling that he truly was awake. He went about his morning business, nothing but his jeans and white wife beater on in the cool morning. 'Probably all his arm hair keeping him warm,' (Y/N) thought to herself with a chuckle.

"Hey dad, forget to mention anything last night?" She asked, quirking her (h/c) eyebrow. Logan paused, the room filling with the sound of coffee splashing into a ceramic mug. She heard him curse under his breath like he did before, a trait she had obviously picked up from him. He turned around, holding his cat mug in his hand. (Y/N)'s eyes sparkled lightly at the sight of it. She had gotten it for him for Father's Day as a joke, but seemingly it was her father's favourite mug, much to her delight. It was always nice seeing him with it, knowing that he cared about what she gave him, cared about her.

"Well (Y/N), you've been invited to attend a meeting with some of the Avengers. Since you're the most connected to all the world, humans and everything, Charles thought it would benefit to show them some more, friendly mutations," He informed before bringing his coffee cup to his lips and taking a long swig. (Y/N) paused for a moment, unsure of how to react to this information. Yes, her flower shop was thriving, possibly the most popular in New York, but the fact that Charles himself had considered her friendly enough to talk with the Avengers made her a little uneasy. It was hard to tell based on the exterior she showed the world but talking to strangers about anything other than flowers simply mortified her. She had grown up sheltered at the mansion as a child, not knowing much of the world outside the grounds other than the nature that grew beyond the gates. She hardly knew anyone other than the kids, and the only real reason she could happily talk to them was because she was like them, a mutant, cast out from the society's eye. The mansion and the flower shop were her safe space, and she hated to admit that when the flower shop was busy she often became overwhelmed, likely why she praised and valued her staff so much, they took away the burden. But the fact that Charles chose her, even though as a family figure he knew all of this about her, was truly a testament to her personality, even if she didn't mean it to.

"It's true, you have a way of making people trust you (Y/N), even when you're nervous to meet others," Charles spoke precisely, already knowing what she was thinking. She shook her head softly in reply, letting a small sigh leave her lips. He was right, even when she was nervous she was able to hide it behind a smile and small giggle, fooling anyone who didn't truly know her.

"Don't worry kid, I'll be there too to help you out. Plus, I'm pretty sure you're older than everyone else there, other than me of course," Logan reassured, a soft smile pulling at his lips as he rested his hand on (Y/N)'s head, ruffling her hair slightly.

"Thanks Charles, dad. I'll uh... I'll try my best," She affirmed, a smile of her own settling on her lips, a warmth spreading in her chest at their words.

"So, Logan, why didn't you tell poor (Y/N) here about the meeting?" Charles asked, watching the father-daughter pair interact warmly with each other. He had a mischievous glint in his eyes as he stated this, clearly interested in what he had to say. (Y/N) always admired how respectful Charles was, never reading the minds of those around him unless truly necessary, not wanting to violate anyone's privacy. Both the girl and her father froze for different reasons, (Y/N) wanting to avoid embarrassment and Logan wishing to forget about the topic for as long as possible.

"We got distracted, talking about my... soulmate," (Y/N) trailed off, proud of herself for simply bringing up the topic. Charles, the wise man he was, simply gave a knowing smile and beckoned (Y/N) over to him, watching carefully as she revealed her clock to him. Only 2 days left, 2 days until she would meet her fated, her other half. Looking at it now, she wondered who it could possibly be, a young man not even slightly as worldly as her, a man in his 50's, looking odd next her young exterior? These thoughts filtered through, worry setting itself on her mind. Would she even be comfortable meeting them? Or would she be scared, as she was with everyone outside her sheltered life.

"It's so close, I can see why you're on edge this morning," Charles commented casually, as if he had no problems at all. (Y/N) liked that about him, liked how he was always kind and warm, never panicked unless he truly needed to. She hoped her soulmate would be kind as well, something like Charles in their intent towards life.

"Yeah, I was a little surprised to say the least, she hadn't updated me in ages," Logan commented casually, leaning back on the kitchen bench. (Y/N) rolled her eyes clicking her tongue before she replied.

"That's because I was talking to Kitty and Ororo about it, you kinda just, happened to walk in on it is all," She retorted, earning a scoff from her father.

"Bout time you told me all this anyway," Logan chided, before placing his mug in the sink.

"We need to start moving towards the meeting anyways, it's about time," Logan instructed, Charles nodding his head in understanding while handing his mug to Logan's awaiting hand. (Y/N) paused for a moment, racking her mind for the information she needed.

"Oh! I need to call Vanessa and tell her I won't be coming in today, she has a key, so she can run the flower shop today," (Y/N) informed the two men, walking away from the two before they could respond. Pulling out her phone, she dialled the familiar number and held the device to her ear. The dial tone filled her ears, before the calming voice of Vanessa answered her call.

"Hey, what's up (Y/N)?" Vanessa asked, tiredness clinging to her voice. (Y/N) let out a sigh at hearing her answer so quickly, relieved with how everything was going to turn out alright.

"Hey 'Ness, I've got some X-men stuff to do this morning, do you mind opening the shop today and looking after the girls, I'll pay you some extra for the late notice," (Y/N) offered. It was last minute, she hoped she hadn't forgotten anything else and that everything would still go smoothly. She could usually handle things being unpredictable, when she was prepared for it, but today she was not prepared.

"Don't worry about it, I understand. Wade was off last minute this morning as well, so I'm used to it," Vanessa stated, (Y/N) almost hearing her shrug casually over the phone. The two exchanged a warm goodbye, before (Y/N) tucked her phone into her pocket. It was nice she could rely on Vanessa; it made her life so much easier, especially with all the craziness that the X-men brought to it. She walked back over to the two men, giving them the best smile she could muster.

"You guys ready to head off?" She asked, impatient to start the day off.

Word Count: 2026
Status: Unedited

(A/N) Whoops it's been a hot minute but here is another chapter, I would love to see what you guys think of it

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.4K 1K 18
In a world where Soulmates exist but not everyone gets one... Long ago, as the legend goes, the powers that be decreed that a person can only discov...
63.3K 2.1K 13
Soulmates. The idea seems impossible to some - how could there be a person you're destined to be with? Two souls created at the same time, never to...
185K 5K 19
{Bucky Barnes X Reader} Bucky Barnes has come a long way since being deprogrammed from Hydra. After some time on his own he finally joined Steve and...
41.3K 1.2K 17
The winter soldier is trying his best to figure out who he is after running away from Hydra. He thinks he's doing ok staying hidden until he hears a...