DEENA (Complete)

By Nanapanti_

Deena, a deeply sensitive and strong-willed individual, carries the weight of a haunting trauma that constant... More

Hello!
ONE: My My
TWO: A night away
THREE: Face Your Fears
FOUR: Your Dilemma
FIVE: flutters & butterflies
SIX: How Much More..??
SEVEN: Soo Wrong..
EIGHT: Growth
NINE: Finding Myself
TEN: Time
ELEVEN: Wrong Idea!???
TWELVE: Messed up..or not
FOURTEEN: Our Fears
FIFTEEN: Square One
SIXTEEN: Wannabe
SEVENTEEN: Time II
EIGHTEEN: Tricks of Life
NINETEEN: Hell
TWENTY: Not a mirage
TWENTY ONE: A day out
TWENTY TWO: Nothing More
TWENTY THREE: Stand by me
TWENTY FOUR: Broken
TWENTY FIVE: Coward
TWENTY SIX: Ready
Jealous
TWENTY EIGHT: The Voice Of Us
TWENTY NINE: Away
FINALE!!!!!: Here To Stay
Hi BOOs 🌚🌹

THIRTEEN: Ruined date

59 18 25
By Nanapanti_

"Hello there, you did come." A voice said from behind and I turned sharply face him, but there was no one.

The voice..sounded so real
And familiar

I sighed and pulled out a chair to sit on.

prolly my imaginations

My phone pinged at Neenah's SMS

Neen🖤: 😡😡😡

Me: Sorryyyyy😬😬

Neen🖤: You're impossible!
You better get your butts back here

I couldn't reply due to insufficient airtime and as expected, she called after a while.

"Where are you?" Her efforts to sound serious were futile.

"Uhm. YKW" I chuckled

"B&B right? I'm on my way"

"What!? Look, I'm not a baby. I'll be fine"
"Wait, how are you calling when you're supposed to be in class."

She didn't reply and just hung up.

Whatever!

"Deen" A very familiar voice called and I looked up.

"Salim?" I found myself on my feet

"Longest time, Babe." He sat opposite me with a wide grin.

"You. Are. Lemony?" I could not just digest that

How's this even possible. Canada..Sudan? NO!

"You named me Le..what's that?" The grin was still there.

I sat back, speechless

I'm so not okay with this!

"We meet again, Deena." He was obviously overjoyed

"Yes. Salim." I tried not to let my irritation show.

What could be worse than this

"Are you..sick or something? You don't look good." He peered into my eyes

My reply was late as someone screamed "fireworks!" and almost everyone rushed towards the exit and I became confused.

What the heck. All this drama for fireworks

Someone passed by and his hand brushed me slightly by the arm.

"Sorry" He said but didn't stop.

This voice...

"Hey.." I stopped midway as I picked up a bunch of lemon sticky notes still stuck to one another.

I quickly turned to see if I'd find the owner but he was already gone.

But I think I had a glance of him..
And..that voice..
Umar? Or could it be my imagination...

"Hey, you wanna see the fireworks too?" I forgot that he was there

I shook my head and rushed out. I had to find the owner of those notes.

"Hey..Are you okay?" Salim ran after me and stopped me.

"What... where are you going?" He asked worriedly

"Just wait here. I'll be right back." I replied and left him there, confused.

I ran to every pair or group around and peered into their faces but I couldn't find anyone who looked like him. My phone jarred and I picked up Neenah's call.

"Where exactly are you?"

"Uhh..outside. Where are you?"

"I'm inside."

"I'm coming" I said and hung up

I met her by the entrance and she glared at me but I was not in the mood to apologize or do whatever she wanted.

"Where are you coming from?" She squint-eyed me.

Salim approached us as soon as he sighted me.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a worried tone.

"Salim. We need to talk." I simply said and we occupied the closest table while Neenah just stood there speechless.

"Yes?" He asked after we had spent about a minute of silence. I didn't just know how to put it.

"Uhm..how are you here.. in Sudan?" I finally asked.

"Huh? I came for a cousin's graduation ceremony." Don't you like me around?" He wore a disappointed expression.

I guessed the cousin was from our school since our school's convocation day was around the corner. The final year students would graduate in a matter of three days.

"From Canada?" I couldn't help but ask

"Nope. I'm on hols. I came from Naija..just yesterday." He flashed his teeth.

He so liked to speak in pidgin even if it made him sound weird.

"Oh. So you came just yesterday?" I hoped that he would reply in affirmative. I would cry if he was Lemony.

"Yes. Why?" He raised a brow and I shook my head.

It really is not him..Gosh!
He messed everything up

"Nothing. Just asking" I fumed internally

Just why did he have to show himself at that time. Now Lemony was gone, probably hurt.

He ruined my date!

"Can we leave now? It's getting late." Neenah hovered over me and I nodded.

"Salim, I have to leave now." I clutched the bulky notes.

"Seriously!? Salim? That's how you address me now?" He gave me a smug look.

"Goodnight." I forced a smile and stood up.

"We could at least exchange contacts, yeah?" He looked disappointed but I didn't care. He had ruined my date.

Arghh

"Ok"  We exchanged contacts and Neenah and I left.

"Who was that?" She asked as soon as we stepped out.

"Some college days schoolmate." I said while I had my big frown on.

"Some" She air quoted and I rolled my eyes

"He looked like a guy in love."

"He's my ex."

"Ouuu. How could you leave such a cute creature?"

Neenah was too much of a drama queen. She would drool and talk about every handsome guy she saw, but never had a boyfriend. Sometimes, I assumed she was one of those girls that had the impression that such relationships were a waste of time.

"You're nuts. I can give you his number if you want. And please lemme deal with what's bothering me."

"What's bothering you?"

"Forget it"

"Tell me"

"I really don't want to talk about it."

"Talk joor"

"I didn't meet with Lemony."

"You mean we forfeited your practicals for nothing? How? Why? I don't get how you didn't meet him." She said in an exaggerated tone.

She did too..awww

"I ran into this guy..my ex. And my dumb brain gave me the impression that he was Lemony." I said as she flagged down a taxi. Rickshaws were hard to find in the evenings.

"Whaaat? Wait, why didn't you confirm whether it was him or not??" She asked after she had told the driver where we wanted to go.

"You won't understand. He's just an idiot." I was really pained.

I narrated everything to her and she hissed.

"It's your fault. You'd have asked him straight forward"

"Neenahhh..I was surprised to see him there when I knew he was in Canada. And it'd been a while..how could I ask such a question." I looked through the shield on my side.

"So now what?"

"I don't know"

"Why's your voice like that? Don't tell me you want to cry over a guy you haven't met." She hit me slightly on the arm.

"Yes Neenah. I want to cry." I sniffed

"I want to cry because he was there but I didn't get to meet him" Sniff

"Andd.. he dropped this when he passed by. I'm not sure it was him, but someone dropped this.." I sniffed hard and held out the notes to her.

"Lemme see. Wait, lemon notes?" She collected the bulk.

"You actually came to see someone else" Neenah read out and I snatched it away from her

"You actually came to see someone else 💔" read the first page.

"I feel he dropped it intentionally." She said as we alighted.

"Yeah, I guess." I said in a sad tone

"This signifies end of receiving notes and end of crushing on unknown." Aysha, one of my roommates said after Neenah had told them everything.

"Aysha!!" My roommates cautioned in unison

She rolled her eyes and leaned back on wall behind her bed.

Aysha was a girl who could be called a wannabe. She was from a middle class family but she lived a profligate life. She hardly hung out with people that were not like her and she was quite arrogant.

She had just too many boyfriends and hardly concentrated on her studies, though she was brains. I was hardly in good terms with her but that didn't mean we fought all the time.

Soon, it was time for bed and everyone was on their bed.

I was restless and the sleep wouldn't just come, so I picked up the bulk of notes and began to flip the pages.

I was disappointed to find empty pages, nevertheless I continued to flip, then filled pages started to appear.

"I wanna make her mine"

"I will..make her fall for me"

"I wanna stop those tears."

"I'll stand by her."

" I'll be her Soldier."

"I'll give her my shoulder to rest on."

It amazed me, how a stranger could want to do this much for me. I read them over and over again till I fell asleep.

•••••••

The long awaited day arrived, actually only the finalists anticipated it. The College Event Hall which was large enough to contain the whole population of a small town was almost filled up.
The graduates sat in beautifully decorated chairs in the first two to three rows while we, the other students sat behind them. Guests, parents and guardians occupied the seats adjacent right to the graduates while the staff had their seats neatly arranged adjacent left to the graduates.

The hall was decorated with white and red balloons and decoration fabrics. Three large tables were filled with wrapped gifts and a bulk of certificates were neatly arranged on a small table.

The stage had three royal chairs arranged on a read carpet and I guessed they were for the best graduating students. People took selfies, videos and murmured and did everything everyone did at such gatherings.

I hated events like this and I couldn't just wait for it to end. My roommates and I were lucky to get our seats on the same row but someone sat between me and Neenah and I just wanted to scream whyyyyy. I would die if I didn't have someone to talk to.

The event began and the hall quietened down. First, it was opening prayers, then college motto and other silly things I didn't care to participate in.

There came a very long speech by some professors and I almost went up to the stage to snatch away the mic. It was torture.

The three cum laude graduates were called out one after the other and the hall shook with thunderous applause. People stood on their feet to capture the moment and since I wasn't very tall, I didn't bother to stand up. I went online

Neen🖤: Babe

Me: What😏

Neen🖤: 🙄🙄
What's with you

Me: I don't know
Since you prefer to sit in between strangers💔💔

Neen🖤: You're mad😂😂💚

Me: 🤧🤧
Stop using this heart ahbeg

Neen🖤: Stop using pidgin, I hate this word in particular 😑😑

Me: You're jelly
You dunno pidgin😹😹

Neen🖤: 😒😒

Me: See, let's disturb this person blocking us. I'm bored😂

Neen🖤: 😂😂🤝

Me: Chaii.. he's sleeping sef🤣

Neen🖤: Please let him be
Let's just chat😁

Me: Lol
Okay

Neen🖤: Babe, isn't that guy cute?😋

Me: Mad. What guy?

Neen🖤: Up there.

Me: Up where🙄

Neen🖤: Stage, Idiot

Me: There are many guys up there
Which?😑

Neen🖤: You sure know I'm not talking about the MC or the photographers😏. The only guy on the red carpet😻

I looked up to the stage and the supposed guy looked so much like Mr. Arrogant. I tried to see his face clearly but he was a bit far so I just sat down back.

Me: 😧😧😧😧😧😧

Neen🖤: 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
What now

Me: He looks like someone I know
In fact he's the one

Neen🖤: 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Really now. She wants to claim to know him😝😝

Me: I'm serious, Neen
He used to be a friend

Neen🖤: 😋😋😋😋
Wait, "Used to?"
What happened?

Me: Long story

Neen🖤: 😐Cut it short

Me: Later, it's untypable

Neen🖤:🤧😂😂"Untypable"
You're impossible

"Excuse me please. Could you lean out a bit? I want to talk to my friend." I curved my lips into a small smile.

He nodded with a small smile and rested his elbows on his knees.

"Neenah." I gestured her to come closer

"Did you really have to trouble him?" She said, a bit loudly probably to get his attention.

"I have no choice. I hope he's not bothered, though." I made sure my voice could reach his ears. I hoped his sense will tell him what we wanted.

"Oh. I don't mind if we moved seats." It worked.

Awww.. your brain works well

"Cool. Thanks" I gave an exaggerated smile as we changed seats.

"Vile girl." She stiffened a laughter.

"Vile Girl. You started it." I said and we chuckled.

"Ehen. I've known that guy for years now. Let's say since when I was twelve." I smiled as the memories replayed.

"What!? Are you for reals?" She looked over to the guy.

"LOL yes." I rolled my eyes.

"So, was he your neighbour or something?" She grinned widely and I eyed her.

"No. He was a friend. A really good friend." I surely didn't have any plans to tell her how we met or became friends.

"Uhmm. You seem to have lots of hot cakes around you. But how are you two not friends anymore?" She asked as she adjusted her shoelaces.

Shoelaces were Neenah's weakness. She adjusted them every minutes of her life. She was almost always left behind whenever we went out together and if we asked why, she would go "my laces" and that made me nickname her 'mylaces'.

"Hot cakes!" I chortled

I narrated how and why I shut him out and she almost hit me, except that I dodged it.

"You're insane! You didn't even hear his side of story."

"There was no need to. Almost a month fah. What reasons could stop him from calling to say hi."

"You, what stopped you from calling. He might have been sick or something."

"Or he got a girlfriend." My tone surprised me.

"Awww.. babe, you sound jealous. Aren't you?"

"No. Hell no. I told you he was just a friend."

"Hm Okay." She gave a creepy grin and looked over to him for the millionth time.

"I never knew he was a student here." I looked away from the stage.

"Ha'an. I didn't say anything na." She chuckled and I slapped her arm.

•••••••••

It'd been a week since after the College's 31st convocation ceremony and the school was kinda scanty. While we prepared for our second semester examinations, Ya Farhan still had a month before the end of his jail term.

I didn't know how to go about it because there was no way I would stay behind for a whole month.

"Neenah, what do I do?" I asked worriedly as we walked towards the library for evening study.

"I don't get. What do you have to do?" She  asked in a puzzled tone.

"Uhh..yunno we're vacating soon. And.."

"Ya Far still has a month of his jail term left." She completed it for me.

She'd pet named him "Ya Far" with the excuse that what I called him was too long.

"Exactly. I really don't know how to go about it." I said with worry.

"Yunno...I'm still surprised that none of your relations have come to see him yet."

"I haven't told anyone."

"What!? You haven't..all this while?"

"Look Neenah, it's not easy"

"It's not easy. Why won't he feel lonely and dejected"

"It's in his best interest. I know what I'm doing"

"Really. And you had to lie to me..?"

"No Neenah. Get me right.."

"Forget it. After all he's your brother." She snapped and walked ahead.

Woah!

Neenah hardly got annoyed and if she did, she hardly showed it. And this, she had no right to be angry or maybe she did, she'd been there for me and I shouldn't have lied to her all this while.

She ignored me all day and that spoiled my mood. She should at least hear me out.

The next day, I prepared a lunchpack for Ya Farhan since Neenah who usually did it was upset and I was just not ready to beg anyone for their friendship.

I took my bath, dressed up and left the room. I wasn't happy with the way things went because it seemed serious and if anyone was at fault, it was me. 

"Neenah" I was back in the room. I felt it wasn't right.

"Neenah" I repeated and sat beside her on her bed.

"Yes?" She didn't look up from her phone.

"What's with you? Why are you ignoring me like this?" I tried to control my tone.

"Am I ignoring you? Maybe it's 'cause I don't feel like talking to you." She sassed and continued to tap on her phone.

"Really. Okay, fine" I said and walked out angrily. This was too much.

I went to Ya Farhan and when he asked where "my friend" was, I just sat there without a word.

"Hey, is..she sick or something?" He gave a worried expression.

Really now

"No, she's not talking to me" I sighed angrily

"Or you're not talking to her. What happened?" He peered into my eyes

Oh..now it's me

"Nothing" I said and looked away

"Just like that..she stopped talking to you?"

"So, you stopped talking to her too?" He added when I didn't reply

What do you expect

"She ignores me every time I try. So, I think we're good this way." That made his frown deepen.

"Deena. I thought you'd changed."

"Changed?" I asked in a confused tone.

"Your ego. Why don't you just swallow your pride and do what you're supposed to do?"

"Really...You don't even know what happened." I half eyed him.

"I don't have to know. You should at least consider all she's done for you."

"For us" He added quickly

"Right. But you know, friends do things for each other without asking or expecting something in return."

"What did she ask for?" He asked and I rolled my eyes

"Nothing. I'm just saying" I grumbled

"We ate in silence and I left after that. It felt like Neenah had turned my brother against me but the main thing that annoyed me was that this wasn't something worth my change of moods.

She'll have to explain why she has to be childish over something this trivial.

I got to the room and changed into a short light gown. You could simply call it an underwear. Aysha and Sophie were not in the room so I used that as a topic to start a conversation with Neenah.

"Where is Aysha and Sophie?" I asked from where I stood, close to my bed.

"Heyy Neenah, I'm talking to you." I said a little irritated and she looked up with a wry smile.

"Oh. You know my name."

"Neenah. Just stop this childishness..it doesn't suit you at all." I stepped closer to her corner where she sat with a bowl of salad in front of her.

Neenah was a beauty freak or whatever they called people who loved to keep fit. She hardly took reasonable foods. It was usually stupid green leaves and she could take that for a whole day.

But that didn't stop her from being a good cook. She cooked best amongst us.

"Excuse you, last time I checked, you're not in the right position to tell me what suits me or not." She dropped the spoonful she was about to devour.

"Sorry. Neenah, we need to talk." I joined her on the floor.

"I'm not in the mood now." She said and walked out of the room.

What that bug!

This was too much. I wouldn't tolerate her anymore. I was in fact, done with her.

I fumed with anger as I laid down to nap. I needed it, badly.

*******

I sat on a shore and supported my head with my raised knees. I was obviously in tears.

"Heyy." I felt someone sit by me and to say that he smelled too good was an understatement.

I raised my head to come face to face with him.

"Mr. Arrogant" I said

"Yes?" He held my hand while my eyes got lost in his.

I tried to release it but he held on, firmly.

"What bothers my Queen?" He used a white handkerchief to dab my cheeks dry.

"I.. I" I stammered as more threads descended.

"You'll be fine." He pulled me into a warm embrace and patted my hair gently.

"You'll be fine. I'm right here" He continued to pat my hair as I sobbed softly into his lemon shirt."

"For you." He added in a whisper.

*******

Huh!? Me, Mr. Arrogant, shore
Hug-"I'm here for you?" Lemon shirt!?

I exhaled noisily and got myself a cup of water. I really didn't know how to interpret my dream. It was strange, yet terrific.

It lingered on my mind for only God knew how long.

•••••••

I had finished my papers and I couldn't just wait to go see Ya Farhan. It'd been a week.

Neenah and I were still quite grumpy with each other and we only talked when it was necessary so I would go without her.

I got ready and left for the station. I was broke so there wasn't much for him. It was just pasta and a bottle of water. I had only an egg left, so I boiled and sliced it as a garnish for him.

"Why don't you talk to her first. I'm sure she has her reasons." Ya Farhan said for the hundredth time, since when I arrived there. We hadn't discussed anything aside me and Neenah.

"I've tried not once not twice." I looked away in annoyance.

I pushed in the lunch pack but he pushed it back with a scowl.

"Aren't you going to eat?" I frowned

"I lost my appetite. Thank you." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"Just why are you even affected with our issue?" I said in a small yell.

"Because I like her!" He blurted out and looked away.

////////

Hehhehh..I would've said "Salim!? How's that even possible..?" 😹😹

Eyya Deena baby..don't worry, if you two are destined to meet, it'll surely happen. ✌️✌️

Lemony..don't be disheartened, twas a mere mix up. But why didn't you just walk up to her or whatever.

Neenah..your own is too much na🙄😅😅

Dun dun dunnnnn!!!
He said it. He said it said it said it💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃
Who's happy. He's not gay-minded anymore 🌚🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂
Wait, what if Neenah doesn't like him back😧😧

And Deena, is she shocked or...💃💃💃😹❤️

You guys, sorry,. I know the chapter is quite too plain for our liking. I'll adjust 😁😁😁🌚

••

Don't forget to hit the star at the bottom left of the page.
Stay tuned.

And guyssss... what do you think about the new cover. I say it's super cool. All thanks to this wonderful soul feefah_leela
We love you 💯💚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 64.5K 70
His love became her biggest curse in the world. She thought when somebody is in love, the other person's happiness matters the most to that person b...
5.1M 118K 66
DARK ROMANCE "Don't please," she sobbed, shaking badly. The fear of her situation was slowly sinking in. "Please let me go, I want to go home." S...
10.2K 1.6K 24
❝When your past become one's present and one's past becomes your present, life leaves you both alone together.❞ β€’β”ˆβ”ˆβ”ˆβ€’β€’βœ¦ βœ¦β€’β€’β”ˆβ”ˆβ”ˆβ€’ He was psyched She w...
148K 13.6K 61
THE DIMENSION ONE : A Debt repayment. She was embezzled on the day of her wedding. Manyata had lived her existence with the drizzle of gold all he...