Beyond Midnight

Od softsloth

"I've been taught that girls have no value, and he's the only one who assures me that I do." Soleil is a gir... Více

prologue
|01|
|02|
|03|
|04|
|05|
|07|
|08|
|09|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
epilogue
Book 4: Heathen

|06|

45.9K 2.3K 373
Od softsloth

Soleil

I'm staring at the beams of sunlight sneaking in through the numerous blinds blocking the life giving windows. I narrow my eyes at the streams of white light, hating the barriers that keep me from seeing it.

I miss the sun. I miss the grass. I miss my freedom.

"I wish we could go outside." I glance up at Elodie who spoke my exact thoughts, seeing her flip aimlessly through a book about flowers. It's mostly pictures, displaying all the different breeds and species of perennials that her little heart desires.

Elodie is like me, she loves nature. She hates being locked up in this foul place. It's cruel really. I slam my own book shut, hardly able to concentrate on the words displayed on the countless pages. I'm too distracted.

We're in the library, and we're the only ones here. After the whole basketball game thing I needed to go somewhere quiet, and this is one of our favorite places to go when we can't go outside. I feel comfortable here, comfortable to say whatever I want to.

"We should overthrow the Group." I say, only half joking, to which my best friend reacts swiftly. Her green eyes widen, and she gawks at me like I'm insane. She glances around like a member of the Board is right behind us.

I roll my eyes. Elodie is always hyper vigilant about these things. She's paranoid. And most of all, she wants to be on everyone's good side. I wouldn't blame her for that though. I think it's her way of trying to prove her worth. She doesn't need to prove anything to me, I know she has so much more value than anyone gives her credit for.

And through her, I see my own value. She shows me that we both deserve better than this.

"Okay, that was a joke, but still. Why not? What's the worst that could happen? We get rescued by big hot men that stand around almost like they're waiting for us?" I say, knowing how curious we both are of the giant strangers outside.

Me more than anyone. I'm way too excited when I think of the man I saw out there. He was so mysterious, and handsome. And the way he looked at me... well let's just say, it's a wonder that I didn't burst into flames.

"Yeah, but did you see one? I heard they're 7 feet tall. That's scary. They could be dangerous. I'm not so sure." She reasons, and I shrug.

"Well, anyone could be dangerous, that doesn't mean that they are. And think about it, they haven't attacked us. If they're so strong and dangerous then why haven't they broken down the gates, hmm?" I counter, and I watch as Elodie bites the inside of her cheek in thought.

I lean back in my chair, hearing it creak in protest under my weight.

"I think we should give them a chance too. Then maybe someone would want me. Do you think one of them would?" She presses, and empathy bubbles up inside me.

"Of course. They'd be stupid not to. Look at you! You're gorgeous." I'm not making it up either, Elodie is striking.

A little smile appears on her freckled face, but then her shoulders fall a bit and she looks downtrodden.

"I hope you're right. My Dad snapped at me this morning, cursing the fact that I look the way I do. Some of the women have been gossiping about which of my parents is to blame for the mishap that is me. It's so embarrassing." She chokes, true anguish bursting through. I touch a hand to her elbow. I have so much resentment pent up towards all those idiots. I want to hurt every single person that says something bad about my best friend. Anyone that hurts her is on my list for revenge.

She deserves someone who will take care of her. I hope she finds it, because she definitely won't find it here.

I think of my mystery man. Muscle bound, 7feet tall, wavy silver hair. He was perfect. If anyone could take care of someone, it would be him. I wonder what he thought of me? Did he think I was pretty? Or was I too short for him? Maybe a little too curvy?

I almost laugh at that. A man of that size probably wanted some curves on his woman.

And I, for one, have curves to spare.

I wonder for the millionth time how on earth that guy even got here. I mean, he spoke a language I've never heard before. I'm no linguist, but I'm pretty sure he's not from around here. There are no planes anymore, or large scale boats, and even with those powerful arms and legs of his, I doubt he swam across the ocean. It's a mystery for sure, and I really want to get to the bottom of it.

Elodie and I chat about a bunch of things, mainly what type of flowers will be blooming in the late summer months as the heat hits its peak. The Smoky Mountains have many native plants, and Elodie knows almost every single one by heart.

She has always loved flowers, trees, shrubs, even weeds. I've spotted her picking a bouquet of dandelions once.

My time is better spent exploring the woods and dreaming of being free.

And, if there's anything in this world that makes me feel free, it's breaking the rules.

So, I spend my time thinking of sneaking away to the window wall so I can meet with this strange man again. I've thought a lot about it, especially about how incredibly risky it is. There's no way I would get away without a harsh punishment if I'm caught. I don't plan on anyone finding out, but it's not full proof whatsoever. I could get in major trouble.

Could being the key word.

When Momma is fast asleep, I stand and glance over at her. It was easier last night to sneak away because she was spending the night with her husband, Paul, but now she's here. Each wife takes turns sleeping in the same bed as their husband. At least they have some sort of decency about it. I can't fathom sleeping in a bed with a man and his other wife.

She doesn't move or make a sound as I slowly climb out of my bed. I slide my slippers onto my feet, hoping they will cushion my footsteps through the long hallways.

I make it out of our room safe, and I travel quickly but cautiously. I tune in to every little sound, every light that remains on through the doors. I dash with a bit more speed when I know that the courtyard is just around the corner. Luckily, it's tucked away on the back side of the school. No one really comes back here. That gives me comfort.

There's no way that anyone will catch me here, especially at this hour.

I hold my breath when I round the corner, hoping that he'll show up. Lucky me, he's already there, waiting for me.

Relaxing, I find myself smiling at him in excitement. I can't wait to be near him, so I walk forward until my hand touches the glass that separates us.

The way his golden eyes rake over me, I feel like an exotic zoo animal. He sees me through a lens of amazement. I can't help thinking that something is going on that I don't know about. But then again, when is there not? I'm always in the dark.

"I wish we could talk. This would so much better if I could understand what you were saying." I mumble. His eyes flick down to my mouth, his jaw clenching before he speaks his nonsensical language.

"Ragratrcia. Relinkas def mustinsa." He murmurs. I squint at him.

"I don't understand you." I sigh, thinking he can't understand me either. I stand corrected when I see recognition in his eyes.

There's no confusion on his face when I speak. He isn't straining to understand me, because he knows what I'm saying. My mouth drops open, and I move remarkably closer to the glass, my palm pressing against the window.

"You understand?" He presses his full lips together, and then nods reluctantly. "Then how do you not speak English if you understand it?"

He doesn't reply, and there wouldn't be any point in it anyway. I think it over, and realize that I'm the same way with Portuguese. My Dad was born and raised in Brazil, and spoke it while I was growing up. I could understand the language perfectly, but when it came to speaking it I was very rusty.

Maybe that's what's happening here. I wouldn't be surprised. Crazier things have happened.

My thoughts are halted when the giant man smiles, putting his hand to mine on the glass. The warmth from our connected hands creates fog. I look him over with renewed eyes. He's so damn tall. I bet the top of my head doesn't even reach his elbow. It's ridiculous. Maybe he's from some country where everyone is really big?

He grumbles a word at me, his voice rough and ragged.

"Fray." He says, and my eyebrows furrow in concentration. If he knows I can't comprehend his weird language, why does he keep trying?

When he sees my reaction, he huffs, and then points a long, thick finger at himself, gesturing to his wide chest.

"Fray." He states again. Realization dawns, and I nod.

"That's your name, isn't it?" I ask, but I already know the answer before he nods his head exuberantly. I smile, feeling cheeky.

"It's nice to meet you. Well, kind of meet you I guess. My name is Soleil." Fray cocks his head to the side, perplexed by my admission.

I laugh out loud, the chuckle bounces off the empty walls.

"Well, your name isn't exactly normal. Don't go judging mine, buddy." I tease, and he lips part to reveal a heartbreaking smile that stops my lungs from working. I consider that I might pass out from one smile.

I've never seen someone so beautiful. He's the most attractive person I've had the pleasure of looking at. It just makes me sad. I want to be out there with him. I want to know what he's saying, what he's thinking, why he's here. I want to know about Fray and his enormous self.

It's not fair that I'm locked up in here to rot. I want to escape, but this place is too tight to squeeze out right now.

I confide in the stranger.

"I want to meet you. I want to be out there and touch you. I don't even know if you're real. What if this is all a dream?" I tell Fray, and he has the nerve to look like he feels the same. The way his eyes glint in the moonlight, and how his feet get antsy as he shifts his weight from side to side, it tells me he's just as impatient.

He looks over his shoulder and then back at me. His mouth twitches to the side. I notice that he's almost evaluating the window, the sealing around it. Is he thinking of breaking in? The idea shoots a thrill through me. I like the idea more than I should.

I wonder what he would do if he found a way in. Would he be violent like so many people assume? One look up into his face and I know the answer already. Fray's face is kind. I know his intentions are good. I can feel it.

"Don't try to get in here." I insist, and his eyes flash to me in confusion. "They wouldn't like it. The people that run this place. They don't have any weapons or anything, but there are a lot of them. We outnumber you. I would hate to see you get hurt." I explain, but I'm quickly stumped when Fray laughs.

It's the most wonderful sound I've ever heard. His laugh is deep and throaty, like gravel against wood. I've never heard anything like it before.

I want to hear it again, and again. I realize that after only two times of seeing him, I want so much more with Fray. That is the only dangerous thing about him.

"I'll find a way out. Some day soon. You'll see. I'll find you." I say weakly. It's a promise, a gentle wish. I don't expect the eager expression on his face. I don't expect the leap in my heart.

One thing is for sure, I didn't plan on saying those words, but I don't regret them. It's like I was made to say them. It's like I didn't even have to try, because I know that they're right.

Thank you all for the feedback! I greatly appreciate your support. Here's a long chapter to hold you over! So excited to delve more into this story.

Predictions? Thoughts? Leave them for
Me to read in the comments!

I will update soon. Love y'all

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

126K 2.9K 24
Aliens are real. They infested Earth in hope to find their "mate". They call themself the Matters. **************************************************...
2.4K 101 27
Katie is no one special. To her, she was a shy insecure girl that didn't have a clue of what to do with her life. To her friends, she was a silly gir...
42.5K 3K 50
Ellen knew the future of humanity was uncertain and if the remaining human's wouldn't put aside their hatred for the intruders, all would be lost... ...
1.3K 65 26
(This novel is under revision as of 2-5-19 up until I feel the true motivation to scrub through most of my older work. Also this summary is something...