Red Winter - /Haikyuu/

By hatiirn

All that Hinata's life revolved around was volleyball. But soon, in an unforgiving world, he would come to re... More

1. Cold Soul
2. A More Serious Time
3. Shifting
4. Heart so Heavy
5. Crowbar Party
6. Devil in Disguise
7. Marks of Red
8. Diamond in the Rough
9. An Escapade
10. From the Other Side
11. Hour of Discovery
12. Safe and Secure
13. Face to Face
14. Old Friend
15. Friendly Gaze
16. Selfish Fiend
17. A Countdown to the Inevitable
18. His Isolation
19. One After Another
20. Death is Everywhere
21. Gone
22. Just One Last Time
23. Treacherous Path
24. Scapegoat
25. The One Who Started it All
27. Hurting
28. Red Winter (Finale)
A Note
Bonus Short - 1
Bonus Short - 2
Bonus Short - 3
Bonus Short - 4
Bonus Short - 5
A Huge Thank You

26. Shadow

530 37 37
By hatiirn

The horror that pumped through Hinata fueled him as he ran, down the halls, to the main area. He stared at all the unsuspecting survivors, who had no idea who was running this place. They were all in danger and they had no damn idea.

"Hinata! Hinata! What's wrong? You have bruises on your wrists." Sugawara greeted him worriedly as he ran towards them. Pale and trembling, Hinata pursed his lips.

"Suga. We have to get out of here. He's here." Hinata whispered, terror seeping in his voice.

"Who's here?" Tsukishima asked with a furrowed brow.

"Sergeant." Hinata swallowed, eyes flitting to the floor at the mere thought of the terrifying man. Suga tightened his fists, his eyes wide as he stared at the broken Hinata. He exchanged looks with the other boys, before putting a hand on Hinata's shoulder.

"Hinata, it's alright. We won't let him hurt you. Right guys?" Suga glanced at the other two boys, who each nodded. "But seriously, what happened to you?"

"I heard Doctor Sohma talking to... To him. And I listened in, and I saw in her file. You guys... Doctor Sohma created the reds. She started the apocalypse." Hinata barely whispered out, and the boy's faces each fell slack with shock.

"What...?" Kageyama murmured, shaking his head in disbelief.

"It's true. I saw it with my own eyes, she made the reds!" Hinata felt his voice start to rise, and Suga started to pace, a stressed hand on his forehead.

"Oh my god. Fuck. Fuck!" Suga squeezed his eyes shut for a few moments. It seemed each of the boys were having trouble processing this. Their lives were ruined because of her. Because of Doctor Sohma. Yamaguchi was dead because of her. Daichi was dead because of her. Natsu was dead because of her. They were all dead, because of her.

"We have to leave," Hinata gulped looking around at everyone. "We have to leave." He repeated thickly, shaking his head as if he himself didn't quite believe their circumstances.

"Hinata, have you seen Kinoshita around?" Sugawara questioned softly, and Hinata shook his head, dread balling in his stomach with a persistent twisting.

"But I heard Doctor Sohma say something about doing testing on someone named Kinoshita. I wasn't sure, but-"

"I'm going to find Kinoshita. You guys stay safe, alright? We have no idea how dangerous it is now with Sergeant here." Suga said lowly, and Hinata shivered at the name. As the gray haired setter walked away, Hinata tugged on his sleeve.

"Suga. Please, take care of yourself. And make sure you come back before we leave, alright? We couldn't take it if something happened to you. We need you," Hinata mumbled out, and Suga smiled, an almost anxiousness playing on his lips.

"Hinata, I'll be fine. Worry about yourselves. I'll see you, okay?" Suga spoke in a soothing voice, and Hinata nodded, exhaling forcefully.

"See you, Suga." Hinata muttered, before wrapping his arms around the boy. Suga rested his hands on Hinata's back, and when he drew away, Hinata could spot the fear in his eyes. Tsukishima, Kageyama, and Hinata all waved at Suga as he flashed them one last comforting smile before slipping away.

"I hope he'll be okay," Kageyama's voice wobbled, and Hinata pressed his lips into a thin line.

"He'll come back to us." Hinata mumbled unsurely, hoping in the back of his mind that that was the truth. "I have to go, though, guys. I need to speak to Kenma." Hinata took a step forward, before walking away, to where Nekoma resided.

"Hey, Hinata!" Lev smiled cheerfully, clapping him on the back. Hinata rubbed his stinging shoulder, and the stony look on his face caused Lev's smile to fall.

"Where's Kenma?" Hinata played with a fraying string on the end of his jacket's sleeve.

"Kenma's over there," Lev pointed past Yaku, and sure enough the quiet boy sat there.

"Thanks, Lev. I'll see you later." Hinata weaved around him, towards Kenma. His soft hair fell into his face as he looked up at Hinata from his spot on the floor.

"Hinata-"

"Kenma, I have to ask you about earlier. Why did you tell me to leave? How did you know?" Hinata couldn't keep the astonishment from his voice. Kenma licked his lips, looking away.

"Earlier... Some man who went by Sergeant-" Hinata shuddered as Kenma spoke, "-was passing by, talking about you. He said he was going to hurt you. And I heard... I heard what he was going to do tonight."

"What is he going to do tonight?" Hinata dreaded the answer, curling his fingers close to his palm, so tightly his nails left little crescent moon shapes on his skin.

"He said he was going to blow the building up, after he hurt you." Kenma scrunched his face up, his voice so slight Hinata had to strain to hear him.

"No..." Hinata stared in shock at Kenma, his stomach twisting and turning at the revelation. "He's going to blow it up? But there's so many people here! They're all gonna die! We have to get them out!"

"We can't, Hinata. He caught me listening. He said if I told anybody else, he would torture everyone close to me." Kenma swallowed harshly, pulling his knees to his chest.

"We have to at least get Nekoma, Fukurodani, and us out of here." Hinata's voice hardened at the decision, knowing he would have to leave these people to die. He thought back to that boy he ran into, with the scared look in his eyes, so reminiscent of Yamaguchi.

"Fine, Shoyo. We will." Kenma tugged at the skin on his bottom lips with his teeth, an unsure look clouding his face.

Hinata's eyes flashed with determination, "Tell Nekoma and Fukurodani, and I'll tell what's left of Karasuno."

***

Sugawara was absolutely terrified. He knew he had to find Kinoshita, though, no matter how scared he was. He had to find him, for the good of Kinoshita. And for the good of the other boys. That was his job as the oldest, as their leader. Even if he selfishly wanted to just run away, he couldn't.

So here he was, darting down the halls, opening doors and checking rooms. He didn't find anything, though, not a single person. Everytime time he opened a door, he half expected Sergeant to be there, waiting for him with that sick smile of his. Suga really hated that man, he shattered Hinata. Suga knew Hinata tried to be tough, to hold himself together, but that Sergeant remained there on Hinata's mind, shadowing his will to be tough.

It was visible; whenever someone mentioned him Hinata would straighten up, sweat beading on his forehead, eyes filled his terror. It made Suga resent Sergeant so much he could kill that man. Hinata had went through so much, had gone through so much. And maybe he would have been stronger if it weren't for Sergeant. Maybe he could have held it together.

But it didn't matter now, it was too late. Like always. And Suga knew revenge was never the right answer. But he couldn't help the sting of hatred in his heart when he thought of Sergeant, his feelings of anger for the man were too intense.

He was brought back to reality, torn from his thoughts as he opened a last door. It had a set of stairs going down, and turning so he couldn't see what was inside.

A glowing greenish color casted upon the stairwell from whatever was inside, making Suga's fear only heighten. He walked down the steps, slowly and carefully, before he made his way down.

He stared in horrified awe at the sight. There were small cages all over the room, but they were all empty except one.

Sure enough, a shaking, bloody Kinoshita sat crouched in it. "Kinoshita!" Suga choked out, making the scared boy snap his head up.

"Sugawara...?" Kinoshita whispered, clutching his arms close to his chest.

"I'm gonna let you out, okay? I'm gonna break you out." Suga said gently, trying to remain calm, but sweat plastered his hair to his neck.

"Please help me Sugawara!" Kinoshita sobbed, rattling the cage with pure desperation. Suga licked his lips, eyes darting around for something to use.

There, a crowbar! It was almost funny how much he came across them. He ran to Kinoshita's cage, hacking away at the big lock on it. The frightened Kinoshita flinched with every hit. "Hurry, before they come back!"

Finally, the lock broke open and fell aside. Suga fumbled with the door as he swung it open, making Kinoshita rush out and towards the base of the stairs. A deep, booming, evil chuckle rang through the air, though, stopping Kinoshita in his tracks. Suga gulped, knowing exactly who that was.

Kinoshita backed away from the stairwell, right as loud steps banged as the man he had expected stood at the last stair. It was Sergeant. "You decided to join in on the fun, huh Sugawara Koshi?" Suga froze as he said his full name.

"Don't mess with me, Sergeant." Suga hissed, gripping the crowbar in his hand tightly.

"I'll do whatever I want, Suga." Sergeant taunted and Suga gritted his teeth.

"Don't call me that." Sugawara hissed, but Sergeant just laughed again.

"Take him, men," Sergeant called out airily, and several men in military uniforms rushed down the stairs and towards Suga.

Suga braced himself, before swinging the crowbar into one of their heads, a cracking sound filling his ears. "I'm not going down without a fight," Suga glared, and Sergeant simply smirked.

He swung the crowbar around wildly, hitting the men occasionally, but when he missed and fell to his knees, the crowbar clattered to the floor, far away from him. "Kinoshita! Kinoshita, please! Please help me!" Suga yelled out, eyes catching on the scared Kinoshita. Kinoshita glanced around nervously, shame in his expression as he ran up the stairs, leaving Suga alone and hopeless.

The men advanced towards him, restraining him and holding him down. Suga struggled around, desperate to break out, when one of them socked him in the face.

He looked up at the bright lights, dazed and woozy as he fell into the black abyss of unconsciousness.

When he opened his eyes, he was no longer in the testing room. Instead, he was in a barren room, tied to the chair by ropes. Suga tugged at the ropes, wincing as it scratched his skin with its rough material. "You can't break free, you know." Sergeant's amused voice made him lift his head.

His head ached with the soreness of the punch, his cheek swelling and his nose dripping with blood. "What do you want," Suga glared harshly at Sergeant.

"When I went out there to find the little brat, Hinata, he was missing." Sergeant pulled a knife out of his pocket, the tip of his index finger tracing over the sharp edge. Suga took in a heavy breath, lips trembling as he looked away from the shining metal. "Can you tell me why that is, Suga?"

"Fuck off." Suga clenched his jaw, ignoring the stinging in his face. Sergeant licked his lips, impatience flashing in his eyes.

"Now now, you'll answer me." Sergeant growled, sheathing the knife back into his hilt. His boots slapped against the floor as he walked towards him, grabbing Suga by the hair roughly.

"I'm not telling you shit, mother fucker." Suga sneered, a firey rage burning in him. Sergeant chuckled, but the sound was filled with malice. He raised a clenched fist, delivering a harsh blow to Suga's face.

Suga cried out, feeling his cheek burst with pain. He spit out a tooth onto the floor, staring with horror at the blob of blood that coated it. Sergeant sure packed a punch. "Still not talking?" Sergeant tutted, an excited smile growing on his face. "I guess I'll have my fun with you, then. I look forward to this Suga!"

Sergeant threw fist after fist Suga's way, and he was unable to fight back. Suga took each hit, though, knowing it was better him than Hinata. That boy was already so frail.

His face was covered in blood, his eyes lidded with their swelling. It hurt so bad he could focus on nothing but the pain. A trail of blood fell down his eye from a gash on his forehead, pooling in his lower eyelid and falling into his lap. "Stop," Suga croaked out weakly, wishing this torture would just end.

"Then tell me! Where the hell did that ginger brat go!" Sergeant yowled, filthy spit flying into Suga's face. The spittle mixed with his tears, face wet with smeared red.

"No!" Suga yelled, his expression bleak, feeling himself start to lose hope and sanity.

"Then I guess I'll have to bring out the knife. This should be fun." Sergeant pulled the knife back out, and Suga moaned in panic at the sight of it. Sergeant gripped the black handle tightly, advancing towards Suga with a sick smile.

"Please," Suga pleaded, but Sergeant didn't listen as he stuck the knife into Suga's thigh. He yelped in pain, his leg searing with sharpness. Sergeant pulled it out roughly, and Suga felt faint at the feeling of blood slipping from the wound. He was going to die here, wasn't he?

If Sergeant kept this up, he was sure he would. But Suga would welcome death, anything to keep him from feeling this awful pain. "Tell me where they are."

"I won't tell you shit!" Suga shouted, feeling his head cloud with pain.

"I'll kill you and enjoy it, boy." Sergeant threatened, but Suga didn't break his glare. "Just tell me where Hinata is!"

"Why, so you can torture him too?! You're sick in the head!" Suga sobbed out, his will crumbling with his posture. Sergeant snickered, holding the knife up in the light. Suga's eyes caught on the bright blood that coated it, and knowing it was his sickened him.

"That's cute, Suga. It hurts, doesn't it?" Sergeant wiped the knife down on his pants. Suga shook his head, not wanting to give him the satisfaction.

"Leave me alone, you sick fucker!" Suga spat, but Sergeant shook his head with that grin of his.

"Nah!" Sergeant raised the knife, before stabbing it into Suga's stomach. Suga let out an agony filled scream, to which Sergeant just laughed at again.

"P-Please, stop! Just stop!" Suga cried out through his tears.

"I'll give you one last chance, Suga. Where are they?" Sergeant roughly tugged the knife out. Suga vomited blood onto his lap, his vision starting to blink in and out.

"I'm not telling you!" Suga's voice was growing weak, and he felt himself starting to fade.

"You'll regret this." Sergeant shrugged, readying his knife. Suga licked his bloodied lips, eyes shining with anger as he stared up at the man.

"I don't regret shit!" Suga gasped out, right as Sergeant plunged the knife a final time into his stomach.

Suga tried to hold on, for the others. But he couldn't help it as he slipped away, sobbing one last time as a numbness encased his body, losing all feeling.

And just like that, his vision went black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 123 7
Y/N M/N L/N (Your/Name Middle/Name Last/Name) was a 14 year old girl who was bitten by a radioactive spider, and unlike other spider-people, she was...
1.8K 191 8
Sequel to Alones The road to recovery is never easy, but Gray Yeon isn't alone. He has his mother, his friends, and his big brother to help him along...
1.6M 52.6K 67
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
6.5K 308 21
Anim, very well adjusted Living with 10 vampires by now along with his best Friend, Yui KarlHeinz has sent a letter to both the Sakamaki and Mukami...