Invisible Line in Between

By nininininaaa

[NEW CLASSIC SERIES #1] Meet the lead vocalist of New Classic, Isaiah Kalen Mallari. A #Wattys2020 Winner sto... More

Invisible Line in Between
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Invisible Line in Between (Self-Pub)
New Classic Lyrics Booklet

Chapter 38

77.9K 3.4K 1K
By nininininaaa

#NewClassicILIB

Chapter 38
Say Yes

I took a sit on a vacant table after I got my drink from the barista. Just as I was about to sip on my iced latte, my phone vibrated because of the message I got from Isaiah.

It had been almost a month since Isaiah declared that he was already courting me. He would always drive me to and from work. During the weekends, he would visit me at home to hangout with me. Sometimes, he would guide me as I drove around the subdivision to hone my driving skills more.

Since then, I've been looking forward to start a new day and end it with him. It's like my day is not complete without having him around.

However, I know it isn't something that I should take for granted. I shouldn't get used to it. I have to be grateful for every second he's giving me. Once their break ends, I know I couldn't be with him all the time. We both have other priorities to give our time to.

Biting my lip to suppress a smile, I opened my phone and read his text message.

From: Isaiah
Are you with Jerlyn now?

I immediately typed my reply to him.

To: Isaiah
Not yet. Medyo na-traffic daw siya.

Isaiah and I were supposed to hangout today, but when I told him that Jerlyn wanted to meet me, he yielded right away. He told me that we could meet some other time. But earlier, he arrived at our house to drive me here, and he would pick me up later as well.

I agreed to that because I also wanted to spend time with Jerlyn. She'd been so busy with her internship that I missed her already. We had so much to catch up on each other's lives.

"Zendaya?"

Struck by the familiarity of the voice I heard, I snapped my head up from my phone and saw Ida Mallari right in front of me. I quickly stood up in surprise.

"Ida..." I uttered her name.

Ida smiled at me, somehow resembling his brother. "Are you alone?"

"Uh... May hinihintay lang ako," sabi ko sa kanya.

She glanced on the vacant chair in front of mine then asked, "Do you mind if I sit with you for a while?"

"No, no," I replied right away.

"Thank you," she said. "May hinihintay rin kasi ako."

Ngumiti na lamang ako at hindi na nagsalita pa. Sabay kaming naupo ni Ida. Mayroon siyang dalang inumin na nilapag niya sa lamesa.

Ida looked so comfortable, while I was slightly uneasy. Her presence made me nervous. I wondered if she knew something between me and her brother. Isaiah didn't tell me anything, and I didn't ask about it as well.

"Si Kuya ba ang hinihintay mo?"

Halos masamid ako sa diretsahang tanong sa akin ni Ida. I consciously looked at her again. Magaang ang kanyang tingin sa akin, ngunit hindi ko alam kung bakit kabadong-kabado ako.

"Uh, h-hindi," nauutal kong sagot. "I'm waiting for my best friend."

The corner of her lips lifted up in a crooked grin. "You don't have to hide it from me," she told me. "I know that there's something between you and my brother."

Even though I was anxious, I still managed to wear a smile on my face.

"I actually really want to talk to you," she added and bit her lower lip a bit. "I want to apologize."

My eyes widened a bit. "Apologize for what?"

"Well, I kinda misjudged you before..." she explained. "Akala ko kinaibigan mo noon si Blair para mapalapit sa akin dahil fan ka ni Kuya Isaiah. I thought you're just using my best friend."

Wanting to defend myself, I immediately shook my head. "No, I have never thought of doing that..."

Tumango-tango naman siya ngayon. "Huwag kang mag-alala," paninigurado niya sa akin. "I know better now."

Although she tried to assure me, I was still a bit worried that she might still be thinking ill of me. I didn't want to get on her bad, especially because she is Isaiah's sister.

"Right now, I want to thank you," she suddenly said.

Kumunot ang noo ko. Hindi ko na maintindihan ang mga sinasabi niya. Just earlier on, she wanted to apologize because she misjudged me. Pero ngayon ay nagpapasalamat naman siya bigla.

"Thank you for being there for Kuya Isaiah when he had no one to lean on," she said, a hint of regret flickered on her eyes. "I'm actually guilty... I couldn't comfort him that time because I was busy tending to my own feelings."

She stared off into space as she pursed her lips tight. I couldn't help but to empathize with her feelings.

"Because of you, he was able to move on from Blair. You're also the reason why Kuya Isaiah opened his heart and mind to accept Kuya Gael," she said. "Honestly, I really don't know how to express my gratitude. I feel like words aren't enough because you helped Kuya Isaiah and our family a lot."

Heat crept up to my cheeks. To be the reason why the person you love became a better person is such a prize. I didn't want to take all the credit, but it felt so good to hear these words from her that I was slightly embarrassed.

However, she didn't have to thank me for doing what I wanted to do. Knowing that Isaiah was suffering, I couldn't bear living him alone. I was just glad and relieved that I was there for him during his vulnerable times because I knew I would resent myself if I'd just let him be.

Sa gitna ng katahimikan sa pagitan naming dalawa ay biglang tumunog ang cellphone ni Ida. Sinulyapan niya iyon at napangiti bago muling nag-angat ng tingin sa akin.

"Anyway, I have to go now. Nandyan na 'yong hinihintay ko," nakangiting paalam niya sa akin. "Hope to see you some other time."

I smiled back and watched her as she went out of the coffee shop. Nakita kong sinalubong siya sa labas ng lalaking kasa-kasama nila noon sa cafeteria.

Shortly afterwards, Jerlyn also finally arrived. From the coffee shop, we moved to a restaurant to eat lunch. I told her that I met Isaiah's sister earlier while waiting for her.

"Alam mo, hindi pa rin talaga ako makapaniwala," nakasimangot niyang sabi.

The disbelief etched on her face made me laugh. But in all honesty, even I couldn't tell if I was living in a dream or if it was really happening in reality. It's surreal to know that the man I love is actually feeling the same way for me.

"I've been wanting you to get a boyfriend, but I never thought that you would end up having a relationship with Isaiah..." she explained, slightly seeming bewildered. "I mean, how lucky you are to have your idol as your boyfriend?"

Ngayon ay ako naman ang nawindang. Nanlaki ang aking mga mata at saka umiling.

"We're not yet in a relationship!" The embarrassed flush on my cheeks appeared once again as I denied our relationship status. "He's not yet my boyfriend."

Jerlyn raised an eyebrow. "Yet," she stressed that one word.

Feeling shy that she caught that word, I nibbled on my lower lip.

"Pero jusko!" Jerlyn raised her tone, looking a bit disappointed. "Hindi pa rin kayo? I thought he was courting you a month ago or whatever."

"He is..." My voice was small.

"Hindi mo pa siya sinasagot?" tunog maeskandalo niyang pagtatanong. "Ang akala ko ay sinagot mo na siya agad."

"Hindi ko pa siya sinasagot," agap ko.

"Yes naman, ang haba ng hair!" biro sa akin ni Jerlyn, ngunit mas lalo lang akong nakaramdam ng hiya. "Pero ayos lang 'yan! Patagalin mo muna." Payo niya sa akin na mismong siya ay hindi niya magawa.

But to be honest, I didn't know how to do it. I had no idea how to tell Isaiah that I finally agree to be his girlfriend. He wasn't asking me anything. Whenever we were together, we would talk about other things. Hindi ko alam kung kailan ako ti-tiyempo. Pakiramdam ko'y hindi maganda kung basta-basta ko na lang sasabihin sa kanya.

"Isaiah, girlfriend mo na ako."

O kung hindi naman ay...

"Isaiah, sinasagot na kita."

I couldn't imagine myself saying that out of the blue. Just by thinking about it, I was already starting to dig my own grave where I could hide myself forever.

Nang dahil sa napag-usapan namin ni Jerlyn ay hindi ko tuloy mapigilan ang mapaisip. When we watched a film, my thoughts were all over the place. My eyes were staring at the screen, but I couldn't digest what I was watching. Parang nag-aksaya lang ako ng oras at pera na manood ng pelikula dahil wala naman akong naintindihan.

For dinner, Miggy joined us because he arrived earlier than expected. Magkikita kasi talaga sila ni Jerlyn pagkatapos naming kumain ng hapunan dahil may pupuntahan pa ata sila. Miggy didn't want to join us at first, but I insisted. I felt how Jerlyn got happier when he was finally around.

Mabilis din kaming natapos kumain. When I checked my phone, I saw that Isaiah sent me a message three minutes ago.

From: Isaiah
Just driving around the mall. Tell me if I should get you now.

Kanina ay tinext ko siya noong nasa restaurant na kami para makapunta na siya rito. Saktong-sakto lang ang kanyang pagdating.

To: Isaiah
You can pick me up now. Doon na lang sa harap ng fountain.

"Susunduin ka ni Isaiah?" pabulong na tanong sa akin ni Jerlyn.

Nilingon ko siya at nakangiting tumango. "Mauuna na ako."

"Okay." Jerlyn hugged me quick. "Ingat kayo pauwi."

"Kayo rin," sabi ko at tiningnan si Miggy para pasalamatan sa paglibre ng dinner. "Thanks for the dinner, Miggy."

Miggy just smiled at me as Jerlyn held his arm.

Pagkatapos magpaalam sa kanila ay nagmadali na ako sa paglalakad palabas. As soon as I was out, I immediately spotted Isaiah's car. Binilisan ko ang pagpasok sa kanyang sasakyan nang makalapit ako. Agad din kaming umarangkada papaalis dahil hindi puwedeng magtagal na nakahinto roon ang sasakyan.

"Did you have fun?" he asked me when we were finally out on the road.

Smiling, I nodded my head.

Seeing him usually put me in a good mood, but as I remembered my conversation with Jerlyn earlier, I was feeling a bit uneasy. Muling sumagi sa isipan ko kung paano ko siya sasagutin. I suddenly wondered if it was the right time to do it. Kaya lang ay parang hindi akma sa situwasyon.

"By the way, I won't be able to visit you tomorrow," he suddenly said. "I have something important to do. I'll make it up to you next weekend."

From the road, I averted my gaze to him. I could sense that he was feeling a bit nervous. Maybe he was thinking that I might get mad at him.

"Ayos lang, Isaiah," I assured him with a smile. "You can do your thing."

With his lips curled up, Isaiah glanced at me and casually reached out for my hand, clasping his fingers in between mine. His warmth quickly spread all over my hand and reached up to my chest. And then, he rested our hands on top of his lap, keeping his hold on me.

Throughout the whole ride, he was holding my hand. He would only let go when he had to shift the gear. Ngunit hindi rin nagtatagal ay agad niyang binabalikan ng hawak ang aking kamay.

His hold kept me alive and sane during the ride. My jaw hurt from smiling all the time. But if you'd ask me if I want to experience it again, I'd definitely say yes.

Pagkarating sa bahay ay hindi na nagtagal si Isaiah. He went home after he dropped me off. Ako naman ay umakyat na sa aking kuwarto para maglinis ng katawan at makapagpalit ng damit.

However, as I still wasn't over with my worries, I switched my laptop on and went to the Safari.

How to say yes to a guy?

After I pressed the enter button, that was when I finally realized how pathetic I was. I couldn't believe that I was relying on Google to solve my problem.

I found a forum where women shared their experiences to help the member who sent the same question I had. Some did cute and simple surprises. Some gave personalized doughnuts, cakes, or cupcakes with words saying 'Yes, I love you.'

Their various ways on how they said yes to their suitors gave me tips. I was already imagining myself doing some of those things. However, when I came across that one person who just gave her suitor a quick peck on the lips, it felt like my brain shut down.

Feeling my cheeks heating up, I quickly stopped reading and closed my laptop. Nawala na sa isipan ko ang mga naunang nabasa ko. Ang nanatili na lamang ay ang paghalik ng babae sa kanyang manliligaw.

When I tried to imagine myself doing it, I firmly closed my eyes and mentally scolded myself for being so shameless.

Natigil lamang ako nang tumunog ang aking cellphone. At first, I thought it was Isaiah, but then I was surprised when I saw that it was a direct message on Twitter from an unexpected person.

@ayalovesmusic:
Long time no talk, Zendaya. I'm here in Manila. Do you have time to meet me tomorrow night?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8M 188K 62
[𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐒 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒] Tulad ng sinasabi ng nakararami, panatilihin ang mga mata sa kung ano ang nangyayari ngayon at...
8K 434 27
an epistolary | kalyca and eros. Seems like everyone was hit by cupid's bow and arrow but not for Kalyca who thinks that being in love is an act of...
1M 33K 43
(Game Series # 10) Tali coursed through life with ease. Coming from a family full of lawyers, she knew that getting a job would not be a problem. Kai...