The Shadowhunters

By NicoleVelasco1

Tessa was the new girl - who had to learn social ranks fast. At the bottom, there dwell the geeks and the ner... More

The Shadowhunters
First Kisses
Ideas and Thoughts
The Devils in Hell
Another Side
Reunited Brothers
Meeting the Boys
Differences and Weaknesses
Warm in the Cold
Friendzoned
A Nagging Thought
Magnus Bane
Too Late
Developing Relationship
Hawaii
Confusing Carnations
Financial Problems
Wrath of Herondales
Heatred, Regret, and Love
Leave, Just Leave
Angst, Tears, and Madness
Go Get Her
September Rain
Epilogue: The Legacy
The return

Meeting the Herondales

1.8K 62 22
By NicoleVelasco1

Tessa arrived in front of the Herondale house. Tessa had been there only once before, when Sophie and Tessa were

sleeping over at Cecily's house for a girls' night. Well, more like mansion. There was a fountain in the front yard, beautiful and elegant in stone. The entire building was probably

the same size as the Institute and flowers and plants outlined their property.

Sighing, Tessa walked to the front doors, ringing the doorbell. Sophie didn't have enough room to let her stay. Hopefully Cecily would let her stay. Cecily and Tessa were roughly

the same size, though Cecily was more curvy and Tessa taller, but Tessa didn't really think it through when she stormed out of her house. She had left her books, her clothes and

her money at the house, only bringing with her a twenty dollar bill and her cell phone – that was on low battery.

Finally, the door opened and revealed a woman – probably in her mid­thirties – wearing a maid's outfit. "Yes?" the maid asked.

"I'm looking for Cecily Herondale?" Tessa questioned. "I'm her friend, Tessa Gray."

Recognition flashed in the maid's eyes and she nodded. "Please come in, Miss Gray," the maid said, bowing. Tessa twitched uncomfortably.

"No need to bow and call me Miss Gray," Tessa said. "Call me Tessa."

The maid nodded before ushering Tessa inside and leading her upstairs. The mansion had four floors and Cecily was on the top. Her room was the entire fourth floor – much like a

loft with window walls. The stairs leading up to her room were not stairs, but a ladder through a trapdoor.

Her room was bigger than Tessa's house. Tessa had to grimace as she thought about it more. Her bathroom was bigger than Tessa's house.

Tessa climbed up the ladder, pushing the trapdoor open to find Cecily lounging on her bed, headphones on as she flipped through a magazine.

"Excuse me, Miss Herondale," Tessa said, imitating a posh, British voice.

Cecily looked up, staring incredulously at Tessa. She surged forward, hugging Tessa tightly. "What are you doing here?" Cecily asked, leading Tessa further into her room.

"Ran out of my house. Never going back. Can I wear your clothes?" Tessa asked, aiming for a nonchalant voice as she fell back onto Cecily's large bed. Cecily's eyes widened.

"Why would you do that?" she asked.

Tessa grimaced. "Get Sophie here. Then I'll explain."

The trapdoor to Cecily's loft­like room opened once more, but it was not a maid's bonnet that came through first, but a messy head of black hair. "Girls' night, eh?" Will smirked.

"I'm joining."

Cecily threw one of her pillows at him, but Will dodged it gracefully, entering Cecily's bedroom.

"I still don't think it's fair that you have the biggest room," Will said, sitting on Cecily's desk chair. Cecily's room was surprisingly neat – but Tessa knew better. Sophie had forced

Cecily to clean it.

"I'm the girl of the house. And the youngest," Cecily shrugged, as if that explained everything.

"You're younger by ten minutes," Will said, rolling his eyes.

"Still younger."

"Whatever," Tessa interrupted. "Get your friends – and just Jem, Gabe and Gideon please. And Cecily, quickly call Sophie. My phone's practically dead." Tessa took out her old and

battered phone and pressed the button to turn it on. The screen stayed black. "Yeah, it's dead," Tessa said sourly.

"You realize Mother," Will said, with severe distain in his voice, "Is coming back today, right? Her business trip ended early," Will told Cecily.

"I know," Cecily sighed. The Herondale twins' blue eyes fixed themselves on Tessa, who shifted under their stare. "I don't know how she'll react to you and Sophie being here,"

Cecily frowned.

"What do you mean?" Tessa asked.

"Our mother," Will said distastefully, "Only biologically, mind you, doesn't like anybody that's…"

"Not as rich as you," Tessa finished.

Cecily shrugged helplessly. But she texted the other Shadowhunters and Sophie anyways, and sat beside Tessa on her bed.

Tessa sighed. "You don't mind if I stay here with you, do you?" Tessa asked. "I can always ask Sophie and even Jem, maybe."

"Jem?" Cecily asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We are friends, you know," Tessa said, hugging Cecily's pillow to her chest.

"You didn't mention Gabriel or Gideon," Cecily noted.

"That's because it would be awkward with them. I know Jem the best and besides, Gabriel's dating you and if Gideon doesn't grow a pair and ask Sophie out, then I'm smacking him," Tessa said.

"Not very lady­like, are you Miss Gray?" Will said, grinning. "But don't worry. I like you like this much better."

Tessa rolled her eyes.

"Man, the tension in this room," Cecily shuddered, eying both Will and Tessa.

"We're just friends," Tessa said. She didn't notice Will's face slightly falling.

Cecily scowled. "Don't worry, Will," Cecily said. "She'll come around. And if I'm not maid of honour, I'm at least going to be the wedding planner."

"When we get married," Tessa scoffed, "Cecily isn't coming near me."

"You said when," Will said, raising an eyebrow. Tessa didn't take back her words though, glancing at both Herondales.

"Well, that made me feel loads better," Will said cheerily. "Let's just elope to Vegas right now, Tess." Tessa only rolled her eyes, but once again she did not deny anything.

Why didn't she? Tessa didn't even know. But Will was growing on her and honestly? Tessa didn't mind it at all.

Tessa explained it all and her friends listened with rapt attention, not saying a word but always scowling. "So that's why I need to stay with someone. I might go back at get my

things, but I really don't want to see my parents," Tessa said.

"Tessa…" Sophie began.

"It's alright. I know you don't have any room," Tessa said, offering Sophie a reassuring smile. "Though I like your house over this place," Tessa grinned.

"It's too big, too empty and too…" Cecily began, but Will finished.

"Too ugly. I mean, stone walls are so medieval times," Will shuddered. "It's like I'm living in a prison."

"My house is open…" Gabriel said, shrugging. "Not sure how Tatiana would like you but… and my dad is very…"

"No," Tessa said, drawing her knees to her chest. "Benedict Lightwood is…"

"Just no," Gideon grinned. "We're not offended, Tessie. We know our dad isn't the best."

"That's because mine is," Cecily said, smiling from ear to ear.

All eyes flickered to Jem then. "I hope you don't mind just living with me. I have a big house but no people to share it with," Jem said.

"Wait, but you're a minor. You need someone to be with you," Tessa frowned.

Jem shrugged. "My uncle technically is my guardian, but he never comes home. Everything else I own is my money and under my name."

"Jem it is," Tessa announced.

"Wait," Will said. "Try here first. Jem's place is like a Shadowhunter sanctuary. I don't want you to destroy it."

Tessa shot Will a glare. "One week here then," Tessa said. "But I'm sleeping in Cecy's room."

"Aw," Will groaned playfully.

"We're going to have so much fun Tessa!" Cecily said gleefully. "I've always wanted to give someone else a manicure and I have dresses I can put you in!"

"We aren't going to play Tessa Barbie Doll," Tessa said, crossing her arms.

"You're no fun," Cecily pouted.

A knock sounded on Cecily's trapdoor.

"Come in!" Cecily hollered.

The door opened, revealing a man that looked very much like the Herondales. He had the trademark blue eyes, but his black hair was flecked with gray. His hairline was not like Will's. It didn't fall into his eyes, but his hairline was receding, revealing his forehead.

"I see you've brought the whole party home, Cecy," the man said, stepping into the room.

"Tessa came here first," Cecily said. "Then Will came in – probably because Tessa was here. If you get what I mean, Dad," Cecily winked. Dad. Edmund Herondale.

"Hello," Mr. Herondale waved. Everyone said a hello back.

"You don't mind if Tessa lives here with us, do you?" Will asked.

"No," Mr. Herondale said. "This house is too big for us – even with the maids and guards. But why?" Mr. Herondale asked, eyes flickering to Tessa. Tessa wasn't sure what flashed

through his eyes. Curiosity, interest and recognition?

But that was impossible. Tessa had never met the Herondale patriarch until then.

"My parents are moving back to New York without me," Tessa said, biting her lip. "Something about living my dreams," she muttered under her breath, but it seemed like Mr.

Herondale had caught the last part.

"The tuition fee is getting higher. I understand if they move back to earn more money for you," he said. Guilt leaked in and Tessa looked down.

"They didn't tell her until today, when everything was already decided," Will defended. "Besides, Tessa wanted to move back as well, but they didn't let her."

Mr. Herondale raised an eyebrow at his son. Tessa didn't know why. Was it because he defended her or because he was not used to Will being kind?

"Well, you're always welcomed here. Just make sure you don't tell my wife that you're on scholarship," Mr. Herondale said.

"Why not?" Tessa asked.

"Why does everybody else hate people on scholarship, Tessie?" Sophie sighed.

Tessa frowned. "Being scholarship isn't a bad thing. It means you're smart enough to earn one," Tessa said.

"I didn't get in on scholarship," Cecily said, crossing her arms.

"That's not necessarily true," Mr. Herondale interrupted. "There was a test to enter the Institute, correct? And you all passed with flying colours, earning yourself a scholarship. It's

just that your mum paid full price – just to show that she could. And Benedict as well. If I'm not mistaken, James entered in using the scholarship."

Cecily clapped. "But why not just save the money, honestly," Cecily frowned. "Full price is expensive."

"Don't ask me how your mother's mind works," Mr. Herondale shrugged. "Twenty­five years with her and I still don't understand." Tessa grinned.

"And now that you're living with us," Cecily said. "You can quit your job at that ice cream shop!"

"Are you kidding me?" Tessa asked incredulously. "There's still university fees and I'm paying you back for everything I eat or use. And living fees as well. That ice cream shop

gives me one thousand pounds a week. That's insane. I still can't believe they offered me so much…" Tessa said. "I dropped my other jobs."

"You don't have to pay us anything," Mr. Herondale said. "You're a guest. It would be extremely rude to have my guest pay as if my home was a hotel. Don't worry about it, Miss

Gray."

"How'd you know my last name was Gray?" Tessa asked.

"You will not believe how much I overhear," Mr. Herondale grinned. "Will's always talking about you. It's hard not to know actually."

Cecily began laughing despite Will's reddening cheeks and glare.

"William Herondale is blushing!" Sophie pointed, laughing as well. Tessa only raised an eyebrow.

"Thank you," she said. With a nod and a smile, Mr. Herondale exited the room. Tessa walked over to Cecily's desk but she didn't sit in the chair, for Will was occupying it and sitting

on Will was not a good alternative.

Opening a drawer, Tessa took out a textbook.

"What are you doing?" Sophie asked.

"Studying. This completely cut into my studying hour," Tessa said, flipping the Biology textbook to the right page.

Cecily was checking out her large closet. "I hate that I can't wear red or yellow," Cecily frowned. "Red clashes with my eyes and yellow doesn't match my hair. I can't wear any

bright colours," Cecily pouted. Tessa was dressed in a pair of Cecily's sweatpants and was studying her Math textbook then.

"Why do you even need a dress?" Tessa asked absentmindedly. Everyone had already left. Gideon had left to drop off Sophie and had returned for some kind of 'Shadowhunter Meeting' in Will's room.

"Oh right. My mum said that she was hosting some sort of ball with her business partners or whatever. Naturally, her kids have to go and the Shadowhunters don't miss an event

because they're powerful people with powerful parents," Cecily explained.

"Jem…?" Tessa asked.

"Don't you know?" Cecily asked. "Jem's like a musical prodigy and he owns several businesses around the world under his name. His grandparents and parents left it to him.

Benedict Lightwood does as well and you already know my parents. They're all going to be at the ball hosted here. Jem is going to be around shaking hands with everyone because

technically he's the owner of everything, even if he's underage."

"I'm confused," Tessa sighed.

"You have to come," Cecily said.

"What?" Tessa asked. "Why? I didn't finish studying yet!"

"I don't care!" Cecily said stubbornly. "You can't stay in here!"

The trapdoor opened. And an elegant woman entered the room. She had a mane of black hair and her eyes were green though. There was no mistaking her. Linette Herondale. One

of the most influential people in the world and third richest business woman.

"Cecily," Mrs. Herondale said. "Quickly get ready. Guests are coming in an hour." Then she seemed to take note of the frozen Tessa. "And who are you?" she asked. Her voice was

cold and professional, unlike her husband's warm voice.

"Theresa Gray," Tessa said and she stood, almost robotically. She stood because it just seemed proper to stand when a lady entered the room and Mrs. Herondale's scrutinizing

eyes seemed to force Tessa to stand.

"I've never heard of the Gray family…" Mrs. Herondale frowned.

Because I'm poor… Tessa thought.

"She's my friend from the Institute. Tessa takes English Literature with Will. That and she writes," Cecily said.

Mrs. Herondale nodded appraisingly. "Good subjects for a lady. I still don't understand why you're learning how to fight," Mrs. Herondale said distastefully, eying her daughter.

Cecily merely shrugged.

"Do you play any instruments?" Mrs. Herondale asked Tessa.

"No, sorry," Tessa said. Tessa didn't understand why she apologized but the look the intimidating woman gave her made her feel small. As if she had committed some sort of sin by

not playing an instrument.

"Well, both of you get ready. The ball is starting soon," Mrs. Herondale said. "And Cecily, this floor is suppose to be a storage and attic. Climbing up and down the ladder to reach

your room is not very…"

"Lady­like?" Cecily spat. "Well I just like it here. Ella did too. Why did you think Will, Ella and I came up here so often when we were younger? Ella wasn't lady­like either."

Hurt flashed through the older woman's eyes and a deep sadness but those emotions were pushed out, quickly filled with anger. "You will not speak to your mother that way," Mrs.

Herondale huffed before heading to the trapdoor.

"You weren't my mother since Ella died," Cecily shouted at her and Mrs. Herondale froze on her descent to the third floor but continued then.

Cecily was breathing hard, glaring at the door to her room.

"Are you alright?" Tessa asked, unsure of what she just witnessed.

"I'm fine," Cecily said, looking away. "Let's just get you a dress. Blue would look nice on you. Sorry, but I'm making you wear a corset and you're dress is fairly tight at the top.

Those shirts you wear don't show your curves. You have hips for a reason, Tessa," Cecily said, looking through her closet once again. Her voice became cheery again as she talked

to Tessa, but Tessa was sure Cecily was still hiding the grief of losing her sister and mother.

"I have hips so that I can move," Tessa said, rolling her eyes.

Cecily tossed Tessa a dress. "Put that on. I'll tie the strings for you."

Tessa sighed, putting on the dress. The dress was floor­length and corseted, just like Cecily had promised. The corset constricted Tessa's lungs from properly breathing and it was

strapless. Not that it really mattered if it had a strap or not. Cecily tied the strings so tight that it would have stayed on no matter what.

The skirt of the dress was layered with sheer fabric – revealing Tessa's legs yet covering them at the same time.

"Blue looks good on you," Cecily praised. "Brings out your eyes. What do I do with your hair though?" Cecily wondered, tapping her index finger on her chin.

"I'll just tie it into a side ponytail," Tessa shrugged.

Cecily stared at Tessa in horror. "No! Just… no. I'll do an extra loose bun…" she said. "Sit," Cecily commanded and Tessa sat in Cecily's desk chair, careful to smooth out the

wrinkles in the skirt of the dress. Cecily began braiding Tessa's long locks of hair that had grown out over the year. She left out Tessa's side bangs and wisps of hair at the front and

looped the braid around itself, tying it all together. Then she sprayed Tessa's hair with hairspray, causing Tessa to cough and wave her arms around, trying to make the hairspray

dissipate in front of her face. Cecily took a curler then, curling the wisps of hair around Tessa's face, but she left Tessa's bangs as it was.

"Why'd you have to use hairspray?" Tessa complained.

"To keep your hair as it is. Now thank me, because you look smoking hot," Cecily grinned, directing Tessa to the full length mirror inside Cecily's closet. Tessa smiled and thanked

Cecily. "That's right," Cecily nodded. "Now I'm going to put on my dress and completely outshine you," Cecily winked.

Tessa rolled her eyes. "It's going to be hard though. After all, I am the one that dressed you," Cecily said.

"Oh, shut up," Tessa said, shoving Cecily playfully. Cecily slipped on her dress then, a nice little black number that was knee length, offering a casual yet formal look. It fit Cecily's

style completely, and like Tessa's dress, it was strapless and the back was nothing but lace. Cecily's dress was embroidered with a gold design and Cecily quickly braided her hair

because she spent so much time on Tessa's that she didn't have much time for herself.

"Are you sure you don't have more time to make your hair more…" Tessa asked.

"My hair's already beautiful," Cecily interrupted. "Always is, you know? And my mum would kill us if we're late."

"How do we get down in dresses…?" Tessa asked awkwardly.

"I have a secret lift," Cecily winked. Pushing back her clothes in the walk­in closet, Cecily revealed the silver doors of an elevator – or lift, as the British call it. Cecily ushered

Tessa inside and pushed her clothes back in its place, obscuring the girls' view of Cecily's bedroom. Cecily entered the lift and pressed the down button.

"It leads to the kitchen," Cecily said. "Very convenient."

Cecily led Tessa to the ballroom once they exited the lift and kitchen. "Ballroom B, I think…" Cecily said.

"You have more than one ballroom?" Tessa stared.

Cecily shrugged. "I have three. I don't see the need for it all, but whatever."

Tessa gaped once she entered the wide double doors to the Herondale Ballroom – Ballroom B, apparently. Tables of champagne filled one wall, with elegant foods as well. There

was a stage as well, already filled with instruments and a band. A beautiful chandelier hung from the ceiling that was decorated with a mural of cherubs flying in the sky.

Tessa did not feel jealous though, because with all this luxury, Tessa felt out of place. Like she did not belong where she was. She did not want all of it and Jem's place sounded more and more inviting.

Arms encircled Tessa's waist from behind then and without even looking back, she could tell that it was Will. Tessa didn't know how, but she knew. Will squeezed Tessa lightly

before letting her go. His lips lingered at her ear though. "You look beautiful," he whispered.

Tessa didn't show how much it affected her. She hugged the Lightwood brothers and Jem as well and with Cecily on her side entered the ballroom.

Linette Herondale was already there, waiting on the side with a red dress that looked slightly tacky, though elegant nonetheless. It made the matriarch of the Herondale family

seem even older than she was and Tessa wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

"My mum looks like she's freaking sixty," Cecily hissed in her ear. "Doesn't she know how to dress properly?"

So apparently, it was a bad thing.

As the night went by, Tessa danced twice with each Lightwood brother, four times with Will and was currently dancing with Jem for the fifth time. "I don't like this at all," Tessa said

to Jem as he twirled Tessa under his arm. Jem moved with a grace that Tessa couldn't match and though she occasionally stepped on his toes, Jem only smiled and continued to

lead Tessa in the dance, not showing that she actually stepped on him. Tessa had begun to get a hang of it when she danced with Jem and was very awkward when she danced with

Will, though like Jem, was able to dance smoothly. When she danced with the Shadowhunters, it seemed as if she could dance well, but it was just them that could.

"Don't like what?" Jem asked.

"All of this. I can't take it," Tessa frowned. "This place is too grand," Tessa said.

"My house is still open, but you have to promise me that you'll make me breakfast," Jem grinned.

"Deal," Tessa vowed. "I make killer breakfast. Trust me."

"Then it's a deal," Jem said, smiling widely. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Linette Herondale conversing with a man dressed all in black. Mrs. Herondale was glaring at Tessa

as she danced and she had no idea why.

"Why is Linette Herondale staring at me?" Tessa asked Jem quietly. Jem looked at Tessa, then at Mrs. Herondale.

"That's Richard. The man in black. He's a private investigator. Worked with my parents before they… never mind. Whatever that Linette found was not a good thing about you," Jem

murmured.

"Great. Another person that hates me," Tessa groaned.

"Who else hates you?" Jem asked.

"Oh, I don't know," Tessa said sarcastically. "The student population of the Institute. They think I'm dating Will."

"Well, you're close to dating Will anyways. You'll be a great couple," Jem said. Tessa eyed Jem and his face was expressionless. Tessa's heart ached but she didn't know exactly

why. The song ended then and Jem led Tessa off the dance floor.

Then a woman with glaring green eyes stood in front of her. "Miss Gray," Mrs. Herondale said in her cold voice. "Will you please come with me? Alone," she said, looking at Jem.

Tessa allowed herself to be led out of the ballroom nervously. She didn't see Jem conversing silently with Will or Gabriel nudging Cecily and Gideon, staring at the retreating figures

of Tessa and Linette Herondale.

Tessa didn't see Jem, Gabriel, Cecily and Gideon quietly follow them and she didn't see Will try to follow, but blocked by one Jessamine Lovelace.

Mrs. Herondale led Tessa into an office – most likely her own. "I've heard you're on scholarship," she said, as if being on scholarship was a sin. Tessa nodded. "And that your family

is rather… poor. Am I incorrect?" she asked mockingly. Tessa only nodded as a reply.

"Stay away from my children," Mrs. Herondale hissed. "I do not need poor filth lingering around them, trying to steal our money away. I do not trust you, Theresa Gray. Despite

what you may think, you have no class, no elegance and I cannot stand you. I do not care for you and leave my children alone. I can see right through your act. You want our money. Well, you aren't getting it."

Every word she said made Tessa want to cry. "I…" Tessa began, but she was cut off.

The door to Linette Herondale's office opened, revealing the angry faces of Cecily Herondale, Gabriel and Gideon Lightwood and the absolute livid face of James Carstairs.

Jem surged forward first, glaring at Linette Herondale. "If you do not understand, then do not speak," he said. "Do not assume things that you do not know."

"I cannot believe you," Cecily said, tears in her eyes, taking a stand beside Tessa. "You…" Cecily shut her eyes, refusing to let the tears out. "She's one of my best friends and you

just… Are you trying to make me friendless? I… I hate you!" Cecily shouted. "You… Get over it alright?! Ella died and you can't bring her back. Stop trying to inflict your anger on us!

If anything, it's your fault!" Cecily screamed. She turned on her heel and left then, Gabriel and Gideon trailing after her.

"Let's go, Tessa," Jem whispered and Tessa followed, still frozen.

"What just happened?" she asked.

"I don't even know," Jem said sadly. They didn't notice Edmund Herondale looking at them sadly as Tessa left the Herondale house.

"I'm sorry," Edmund Herondale said softly, knowing they couldn't hear it. "I'm so sorry."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.2K 1.7K 46
Fate works in mysterious ways. Tessa Gray certainly thinks so, when her world is collided with Will Herondale's, the schools bad boy. When Will asks...
3.5K 117 14
The world is not as safe as it seems. That is the lesson Rosalie Gray learned after crossing the sea with her sister, Tessa. The world is also full o...
160K 4.6K 28
"She put a binding rune on the door. I can't get it open." "I'd say she doesn't want to see you." #1 in "magnus" Andina Wayland has grown up with...
63.4K 2.5K 31
[COMPLETED] 'How am I drunk sitting here, thinking about you. I hate you. I hate that you broke my heart and still have it. I hate the way you still...