The Shadowhunters

By NicoleVelasco1

Tessa was the new girl - who had to learn social ranks fast. At the bottom, there dwell the geeks and the ner... More

The Shadowhunters
First Kisses
Ideas and Thoughts
The Devils in Hell
Another Side
Reunited Brothers
Differences and Weaknesses
Warm in the Cold
Friendzoned
A Nagging Thought
Magnus Bane
Too Late
Developing Relationship
Hawaii
Confusing Carnations
Financial Problems
Meeting the Herondales
Wrath of Herondales
Heatred, Regret, and Love
Leave, Just Leave
Angst, Tears, and Madness
Go Get Her
September Rain
Epilogue: The Legacy
The return

Meeting the Boys

1.8K 82 48
By NicoleVelasco1

Jem was leaning against a shelf, watching Tessa amusedly. "I mean, he said those… things," Tessa said, amending for the words she was going to say. "And he… just… ugh!" Tessa

said, throwing her hands in the air in exasperation.

Jem had that all­knowing smirk on his face as he crossed his arms and continued to watch Tessa intently.

"You're not even listening are you," Tessa accused.

"I am. I'm gouging your reaction to me forgiving Will and I'm laughing on the inside," Jem smiled.

Tessa scowled. The bell began to ring then. Tessa groaned. "You know I have to sit next to your idiotic best friend during English Lit, right?" she asked.

"And I'm enjoying every moment," Jem smirked. Tessa scowled again before reaching for Jem and bringing him into a quick hug.

"I'll see you later, Jem," Tessa waved before running out of the library to her class – earning a disapproving look from the school librarian.

Luckily, Tessa made it in time. She found it to be very stupid that the library – which held every English Literature book – was a four minute run from the English Literature class.

Tessa slid into one of the two­seater desks and this time, Will did not ditch class, but he was sitting right beside her.

Miss Trudy was clapping her hands, trying to get the attention of her students – with no success. Finally, Will stood up. "Hey!" he yelled. "Shut up!"

Everybody became silent, staring at Will. Will sat down, crossing his arms and looked at Miss Trudy. Everyone followed his example and as much as Tessa hated to admit it – she

was impressed.

"Thank you, William. Though next time I would prefer it if you refrained from using rough language in my classroom," Miss Trudy said, turning around to face her SMART board.

Will scoffed quietly. "Now, for the next week, we will be doing a project on a certain book. It will be a partner project – the partner next to you. My advice is that you guys get

together and do some work. There isn't enough class time for you to finish it all."

Tessa's heart sunk. Her? Work with William Herondale? Get together? Tessa cursed her teacher silently in her head for placing her with Will in the first place.

"To spice things up a bit, I'm going to come around with a jar of names of books. The one you choose will be the one you study. Read the book and I want you to either act out a

scene from it or write a letter to one of the characters. For both of these, you have to study up on the protagonist and the antagonist and perhaps even another character you like. I

want you to tell me what is your opinion of the story you receive. You must give me a thousand word essay on the themes of the book as well," Miss Trudy explained.

"Stupid and easy. Easy A+, Tess," Will whispered to her. Tess? No one every called her Tess. Tessa shoved her confused feelings in the corner of her mind and watched Miss Trudy

come around.

"Ruby and Daniel has A Tale of Two Cities," Miss Trudy announced. Tessa cursed under her breath.

"What?" Will asked her,

"Favourite book," Tessa explained. She had no idea what compelled her to speak to William Herondale but she found that having civil conversation with him… made him actually

likable.

"I think Sydney Carton is stupid," Will scoffed. And there went the likable.

"I think you're stupid!" Tessa hissed in outrage. "We'll need to talk later about this," Tessa demanded. Will looked taken aback but agreed nonetheless, with a smile on his face.

"Pick," Miss Trudy said, arriving at Tessa's side. Tessa was so caught up in talking with Will, she didn't notice that Miss Trudy had arrived. Tessa nodded and put her hand in the jar,

drawing out a slip of paper. "Read it out please," Miss Trudy asked.

"Romeo and Juliet," Tessa groaned. Several other groups groaned around Tessa too.

"You don't seem happy," Miss Trudy observed. "Everybody else wanted this, but you don't?"

"Too mainstream," Tessa shrugged helplessly. She twitched under the jealous and angry gazes of the other students. "I mean all that happens is two adolescent teenagers fall in

love but die because everybody made stupid mistakes."

Miss Trudy nodded. "Well this book may be a good experience for you. Try new things right?"

Tessa held in her groans. Will was looking at her, his face half­curious and half­amused.

Tessa never thought he would be where he was. In the Shadowhunters lounge. With all four Shadowhunters surrounding her and staring at her.

"Plain," Gabriel observed.

"Still pretty, though," Gideon argued.

"Eh," Will shrugged. "She's just a girl."

"Shut up, Will," the other Shadowhunters chorused. Tessa rolled her eyes.

"I don't really want to fail this project. And it is rude to stare at someone's face," Tessa said, her eyes meeting the Shadowhunters'.

"Feisty. You really know how to pick them, Will," Gabriel laughed.

Tessa shifted uncomfortably. It wasn't Will she liked… "As if I would be caught hanging out with her outside of school," Will scoffed.

"William!" Jem reprimanded. Will grumbled but stayed silent.

The Shadowhunters stood up, huddling together and mumbling something. Once again, all four faced Tessa. "We've decided to accept you," Gabriel announced.

"Accept?" Tessa asked. "Is this some kind of cult?"

Jem chuckled. "No. They're just trying to scare you."

Tessa rolled her eyes. "Excuse me," Will interrupted. "I didn't say yes."

"Your opinion is invalid," Gabriel said.

"Can we please get to work now?" Tessa asked.

"Oh, Will!" Gabriel said, perking up. "Maybe you can act out this scene in R&J where Juliet is all like: I'm dead. And you're going to have to kiss her and then you die and then she

wakes up and…"

"You've read Romeo and Juliet?" Will asked, disbelieving.

"He was obsessed and crying for days after he finished," Gideon laughed. Gabriel elbowed his twin's ribs before he could say anymore.

"Why do we have to do a scene?" Will complained.

"It's a play, William. Of course we have to do a scene," Tessa rolled her eyes. Will grumbled. Tessa eyed the four Shadowhunters again. "We aren't going to do work, are we?"

Tessa asked.

"Nope," Gideon said happily. "Time to celebrate. We haven't had a drink in so long."

"Drink?" Tessa questioned. Then she stood. "I am… uh… meeting Sophie. Gotta go," Tessa said, making an attempt to sprint out of the lounge. But she was denied access to the

outer world. Gabriel and Gideon stood like a wall, blocking her.

"Sophie Collins?" Gabriel asked. Tessa nodded. "Look, big bro. You just have your answer to scoring a date with Sophie," he laughed.

Tessa shuffled her feet. "Can I leave please?"

"Gabe, just move," Jem sighed. Gabriel mocked a bow before moving out of the way. Tessa hurried to leave but then Jem blocked her.

"Really? We have to go through this again?" Tessa asked.

Jem only smiled. "Aren't you forgetting something?" He held his arms out. Tessa blushed lightly, though quickly regained herself. She hadn't forgotten their deal. A hug for each

goodbye and hello. Tessa gave Jem a quick hug before leaving.

"Getting it good with the new girl, I see," Gideon laughed.

Will's stomach churned. Jem's pale cheeks seemed to colour. Jem? Cool, calm and collected Jem… blushing? "We're just friends," Jem interrupted.

"So you wouldn't mind if I went for her then?" Will asked nonchalantly. All three pairs of eyes seemed to stare at Will incredulously.

"Are you kidding me?" Gabriel barked. "Every time you see her, you've made her life hell, Will."

Will shrugged. " I can redeem myself, can't I?"

"Good luck trying," Gabriel scoffed.

"Are you serious though, William?" Jem asked. Will couldn't help but noticed the way he shifted slightly.

"Yup," Will said. Guilt – though Will had no idea why he felt it – flashed through Will's body, but Will supressed the urge for it. "I mean. Feisty girls. And she likes the same books I

do," Will realized. It wasn't often he found a girl like that. Smart, feisty and actually had common interests with Will. Other girls glommed onto him, just because he was rich and

beautiful. (There was no denying it. He was beautiful and he knew it.)

But Tessa… she saw through the beauty, though Will had no doubt it affected her as well. Perhaps this girl was more intelligent than the others Will had "dated."

"William…" Jem started.

Will's sharp blue eyes fell on his brother. "Jem… do you like her?" he asked quietly.

"Of course I do," Jem scoffed. "She's my friend. Why do you think I hang out with her?"

"You know that's not what I meant."

Gabriel and Gideon were silent, watching the exchange between Jem and Will – like they always did. They were analyzers, as was Jem, though perhaps Gabriel was always slightly more hot­headed, though a lot less than Will. Will was the reckless one in the Shadowhunters and his recklessness was shining through.

"No, of course not," Jem said, a little too quickly. Will narrowed his eyes. "Yes, William. I'm sure," Jem said.

Will began to smile.

"But if you hurt her in any way, I will put you on your ass," Jem interrupted.

"Ooh, new side of James Carstairs," Gabriel chuckled.

Jem rolled his eyes. "I've always had this side. The side where I want to protect someone. Of course. Just not for you," Jem laughed.

"Ooh! Burned!" Gideon barked.

"That was a lame burn, and you know it," Gabriel scoffed.

"My James has never been good with comebacks," Will said, slinging an arm over Jem's shoulder.

"Who the heck is your James," Jem asked, shoving Will playfully. Gideon, Gabriel and Jem began to argue and Will did as well, though half­heartedly. He was still thinking about

Tessa.

How should I woo her? Will asked himself silently.

Woo her? Will thought, smacking himself inwardly. It's like I'm in the freaking Victorian era.

But a plan began to form in his mind already. Direct. Reckless. And absolutely idiotic.

But it just might work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.2K 1.7K 46
Fate works in mysterious ways. Tessa Gray certainly thinks so, when her world is collided with Will Herondale's, the schools bad boy. When Will asks...
98.1K 1.3K 48
Set after the events of Chain of Gold. Cordelia Carstairs, now an engaged woman, tries to navigate her way through a life that has drastically chang...
3.5K 117 14
The world is not as safe as it seems. That is the lesson Rosalie Gray learned after crossing the sea with her sister, Tessa. The world is also full o...
138K 2.6K 29
"Nephilims" That's what they're called, beings that protect the mundane world from demons, beings that are half-angel and half-human. They only have...