Secrets In The City

由 FortuneEddie

REWRITTEN VERSION COMING SOON! In New York City, best friends Brena and Lillian share a stronger connection... 更多

Snippet
Preface
01: Mirror, Mirror
02: By-gones
03: No Call, No Show
04: Guilt
05: Caught-Up
06: Curious
07: Prisoner
08: Missed me?
09: Holiday Party
10: My Confessions
11: No Invite
12.1: Let It Snow
12.2: Non-Negotiable
12.3: Excuses & Risks
Bonus: 8 Years
13: Unforgettable
14: Worth It
15.1: Magic Words
15.2: Changes
16.1: Perfect Gift
16.2: Twenty-Two
17: One Date
18: Kissed By Karma
Bonus: Digging
19.1: Business & Pleasure
19.2: Exposed
19.3: Questions
20: A Miracle
21: Hope
22: Monster
23: Rare
24: The Package
25.1: Come Again?
25.2: Shut Up & Drive
26: Rewind
27: Hostage
28: What If?
29.2: Trust Again
29.3: HeartBreak Alley
29.4: A Stormy Night
30.1: The Last Supper
30.2: God's Plan
31: Surprise
32.1: Firecracker
32.2: 5 minutes
32.3: Time's Up
33: A Match
34: Blame-Game
34.2: Reality
35: Lucky Day
36: Charmed
Dear Readers
TWO NEW BOOKS
IMPORTANT
COMING SOON

29.1: 1996

354 52 183
由 FortuneEddie

FLASHBACK

"Come on." Linda muttered while her legs shook uncontrollably.

She's in Kevin's bathroom, seated on the toilet. While he's standing outside, with his ears pressed against the door.

"Rita, enough already. That's the fifth one." He shouted angrily, twisting the doorknob.

Linda's stomach tightened in knots as she looked at the fifth home pregnancy test that once again revealed that she's pregnant.

"Oh no." She cried softly, staring at the two straight pink lines that appeared on the small clear screen.

The sound of her sobs echoed in the bathroom as she tossed it over to the pile of the other four used tests. Her regretful tears journeyed to Kevin's ears.

"Open the door damn it!" He banged on the door aggressively.

Linda neglected his decree while her glossy eyes trailed down to her wedding ring. She used her right hand to adjust the ring as her mind drifted to Steven but most importantly, their daughter, Leyla.

"What have I done?" Sweat glistened on her forehead, pushing her hair back.

She was suffering from nausea which was a blend of the guilt she felt and the morning sickness she was undergoing. She brought her knees to her chest, rocking back and forth on the bathroom floor.

Kevin was getting apprehensive so he used both his shoulder and knee to break the lock on the bathroom door. The noise of the door unfazed Linda, who was seated on the cold grey marble-tiled floor.

"I thought you would be happy." He said in a disgruntled tone, standing over her.

Linda hugged her knees tighter against her chest with her head facing downward while her hands quivered. With bloodshot eyes, Linda's face fell into a frown while lifting her head up, now glaring at Kevin.

"I cheated on my husband and now I'm four weeks pregnant for another man and you expect me to be happy?" She spat, angrily.

Kevin reduced his height to meet her face to face. Using his finger to stroke her face softly as the tears fell heavily. "We can start our own family." He tucked her hair behind her ear.

"You know I can take care of you and," His hands wandered to her soon to be noticeable belly bump.

"Our baby." He lowered his head, puckered his lips, and planted a kiss on her stomach with his eyes closed.

"I don't know why you're still with him." He rubbed it slowly with a mean mug smeared on his face.

Linda scooted away from him with fear glued around the rims of her brown eyes. "This was not supposed to happen. I told you to leave me alone." She said standing up to her feet.

"Il Moroso," He wrapped his hands around her waist. "It takes two people to make a baby."

He chortled delightfully. "If I remember clearly, you didn't seem to think this was wrong when you were screaming my na-"

Kevin's statement came to a halt when he felt a harsh sting on the right side of his face. As a reflex to his disrespectful remark, Linda slapped him.

He held onto his face as his mind registers what she just did. Linda's chest heaved up and down as adrenaline surged through her body. As she tried to walk out of the bathroom, Kevin yanked her hair violently, dragging her back inside.

Wincing in pain, she tried to remove her hair from his grip. He disregarded the pain she was feeling and grabbed her by the throat with his left hand as he leaned in closer to her.

"Let that be the last time you ever lay your hands on me."

"Okay? il mio amore." He cooed while pressing his lips on hers in a possessive manner but she shut her lips tight and bit his bottom lip.

A speck of blood spurted out and Kevin arched his brows up in amusement as he wiped off the blood from his lip. Clenching his jaw in anger, he flung his hand in the air aiming for her face.

Linda was too quick for him. She lowered her head and dodged the hit causing his hand to come in contact with the glass mirror behind her. He groaned angrily in pain and went after Linda as she ran out of the bathroom.

"I have to tell Steven. I can't do this to him."

She bawled, getting closer to the front door. Collecting her bag from the dining table, Linda attempted to exit until Kevin ran in front of her, obstructing her path.

"So you don't love me?" He growled demandingly with his slightly bruised hands placed on her shoulders.

Linda turned her gaze sideways, thinking of the perfect response. She was mindful of his temper in the beginning of their relationship but this was more than she bargained for.

Did she have feelings for him? Yes but not strong enough to label it as love. She had a moment of weakness, yes but she knew it would never result in love.

She had that with Steven before things spiraled out of control. Her current misery started the night she and Steven engaged in a heated argument pertaining to their overdue rent.

They were in the middle of getting evicted out of their home if they didn't find the money to pay the landlord by month's end.

The tips she was receiving weren't creating a surplus addition to her income. The essential needs for a baby are very expensive and the pressure was unbearable because everything was put on her and she was worn out.

It's been three months since she gave birth to Brena and two months since she started working at the cafe. The doctor was against her decision on seeking a job so soon. The order was to return to work 8 to 10 weeks after she gave birth to Brena.

Nonetheless, their financial situation left her with no choice.

Linda was known for her punctuality at the cafe. The night after her first fight with Steven, she ended up arriving to work an hour late. On that fateful day, Manuel James was not in charge but he gave the keys to the kingdom to Kevin.

When Kevin discovered of her late entrance, he summoned her to the office so he could understand the justification behind her tardiness. Linda however, was tired of talking.

She was so depleted to the degree that the tears she couldn't seem to find the previous night, spewed with no resistance in the presence of Kevin.

Kevin was astonished to see her break down in front of him. Out of curiosity, he interrogated her into telling him what was wrong. That was the climactic second that changed both of their lives.

It was a gloriously sunny spring afternoon, in the month of March. Making it the perfect time to grab someone and go out on a date or lunch with a friend. And Kevin did just so, by giving Linda the day off.

He planned to use the opportunity to get well acquainted with her. Although he couldn't get the idea of undressing her that very minute out of his head, he knew she only needed someone to confide in.

That was his greatest wish since the moment they crossed paths and now it seems like the doors of heaven have opened up for him. During brunch, Linda wasn't too comfortable yet to spill out the emotional disturbance she was enduring.

He decided to take her to the park after they ate, so they could go for a walk and hopefully, it made her feel relaxed around him. That seemed to do the trick because she began to tell him certain things about herself.

Linda was surprised that he wasn't behaving like the asshole was. Maybe there was a different side to him that she didn't know of. It felt wonderful to be listened to. With nobody there for her in the United States, it was difficult to maintain her sanity.

Steven was the only friend and lover that she knew. They were friends first before anything. That is why their relationship grew stronger each day, until now. It was late at night and a drunk Steven was now reaching home, hoping to meet Linda but she wasn't there.

As Kevin's car near her home, Steven was looking outside the window in expectancy of her return. When he saw Linda stepping out of a 1996 Porsche 911 Carrea, his eyes flashed with indignance and bitterness.

Linda thanked Kevin for the kindness he showed her the entire day and gave him an innocuous kiss on the cheek. When she came into the house, it was dark. She switched on the lights then turned to see Steven in the black rocking chair, glaring at her.

It was hard to read his emotions. His face was blank and the smell of the booze he drowned himself in was oozing off his body but it worsened when he opened his mouth to speak.

"Who's car was that Rita?" His deep tone wiped out the silence in the house.

Linda didn't acknowledge his question. Instead, she took a step heading to the bedroom to change out of her work clothes so she could take a hot shower and hibernate. Steven stood up to his feet and wailed angrily.

"Woman, answer me." He pulled her arm, stopping her in her tracks.

"I asked you, where are you coming from?" Steven's laughter unfolded in incredulity when her silence lingered. "Now you fucking other men huh?"

He began to follow her into the bedroom. His words struck a nerve and Linda turned to face him.

"Is that what you really think of me?" She grimaced upon his outrageous accusation. "I did a double shift and the manager dropped me home." She wriggled out of her white sneakers as she explained.

"Did you call your mother? What time is she bringing Leyla tomorrow?" She questioned while removing her uniform.

"6 pm." He slurred nonchalantly.

She dumped her uniform into the dirty clothes pile behind the door. "How did the job search go?" She asked kindly, not wanting to antagonize him.

"I didn't go today." He shrugged.

Linda pursed her lips tight and stormed out of the bedroom pushing Steven out of the way who was staggering behind her trying to catch up.

"How can you find a job if you don't even try Steven? Do you want us to get kicked out on the streets?" She yelled pointing her left thumb to the door.

Steven scratched his head as his eyelids became heavier. "I have tried Rita! For three months!" He shouted.

This was the second time since they got married that she has seen him cry. The first time was on their wedding day when she walked through the doors of the courthouse.

"You think a brother doesn't know he's slacking right now? You think I don't want to take care of you and Leyla?" His voice trembled.

"Baby, I'm trying." He said quietly.

Linda sighed with her forehead pressed against the palm of her hands as she shook her head in pity. "And I'm trying too. Just promise me tomorrow, you'll go. Okay?" She lightly pressed her lips on his cheek while he nodded in response.

"Let's take a shower. You reek of alcohol." She admitted disgustingly while pulling his arm to the shower.

The next day, Steven broke his promise and stayed home instead. Linda was at work praying his search came to an end. Thinking he was outside, keeping to his word. Manuel James was back in the country and had returned to the cafe but Kevin was nowhere in sight.

She was hoping to see him so she could thank him for being the listening ear she needed yesterday. Just as her luck would have it, Kevin came towards the last 20 minutes of her shift.

She packed him a plate of the traditional delicacy she prepared last night. It was an Ethiopian stew with yellow rice, simmered in berbere-spiced red lentils with chicken bits. Kevin was touched by her kind gesture and ate it for lunch.

When he saw her leaving for the day, he stopped her and asked if she wanted to come with him to the art gallery event that evening.

"I would love to but my mother-in-law is bringing back my daughter tonight. I'm sorry." She said remorsefully.

"Alright. At least let me give you a ride home." He offered with a smile.

She agreed willingly and Kevin dropped her off that afternoon. When she got home, there was no sign of Steven. She went to the kitchen to heat up his dinner so he could eat when he got back.

As promised, 6:00 pm on the dot, Steven's mother was at the door with Brena. Mrs.Jones already showered Brena before coming. Leaving the breastfeeding to Linda.

While feeding Brena, her eyes were continuously glancing at the door hoping for Steven to walk through it with good news. Mrs.Jones saw the sadness in her eyes and chose to stay for dinner.

By 9:00 pm, Mrs.Jones was preparing to be on her way home. As Linda put Brena to sleep, she walked her mother-in-law to the door. When they opened to the door, Steven was standing in front of the porch, drunk yet again.

Mrs.Jones sensed the tense atmosphere, so she gave the two privacy and took off to the bedroom to take care of Brena as Linda began to unleash fire and brimstone on her son.

"Since when did being drunk become a full-time job?" She stood in front of the entrance, blocking him from stepping in.

Steven brushed her off, attempting to enter the house but Linda pushed him back.

"So this is you trying huh?" She got closer in his face with her arms folded against her chest. "Wow, can't believe I fell for this bullshit again." She chuckled painfully.

She turned her heels and entered the house not granting him the audience to defend himself. As Steven stood in front of her swaying side to side, his attention span lacked the capability to understand anything being said.

The only thing that caught his hazy vision was when she turned her back to him and tried locking the door in his face. He quickly placed his right foot in between the door, preventing it from being completely closed.

"Rita, baby wait." He pleaded in agony, holding on to her arm.

"Get your hands off me." She shoved him forcefully, pushing him further outside.

Once she closed the door, she marched to the bedroom with tears running down her face, clutching her hand against her chest. She walked into Mrs.Jones, who was rocking Brena softly.

"Ms.Aleisha can I and Leyla stay with you?"

Mrs.Jones looked up at a weeping Linda, "Of course darling." She stood up and rested her arm on Linda's shoulder.

"I'm sorry for everything my son has done. He has no clue what he's doing right now."

As she explained to Linda, "Ma!" Was what they heard as Steven's voice roared from outside while loudly banging on the door. Mrs.Jones shook her head and returned her gaze to Linda.

"I don't want a situation where you both let the devil destroy everything you've worked hard to accomplish. I know that you miss your family also. That's why this makes it ten times harder."

At the mention of her family, Linda's tears intensified. Her cries became high pitched, causing Mrs.Jones to place Brena down, before pulling Linda into a warm, comforting hug.

"Shh. It's okay dear. You're not alone." She patted Linda's back as she sobbed.

"Rita!" Steven continued shouting from outside.

Mrs.Jones and Linda pulled apart and she instructed her to get ready so she could take both Linda and baby Brena to her home to spend the night.

As she walked to the direction of the front door to put some sense into her son, she prayed to God to give her the right words that would touch his soul.

Seeing their beautiful family falling apart was heartbreaking. With her current health condition, the last thing she needed to be doing was to be getting caught in the middle of the quarrel between her son and her daughter in law, whom she adored.

When she opened the door, Steven was sitting on the concrete floor with a stainless steel liquor flask affixed to his right hand. The flask glowed in the midst of the darkness that clouded the sky.

Throwing his head back, he drank the whiskey that was inside of the flask while Mrs.Jones stood there with disappointment trickling out of her soul.

"Steven I don't know what else to tell you anymore." She said warily.

Steven sat up straight and tilted his body to the side to look up at his mother. His eyes were reddened and his lashes were wet from the cries.

"I know things are hard but you have to help yourself. You can't keep praying to God when you don't put in the work. It doesn't work that way, honey."

She slowly bent down, trying to take the flask out of his hand. Steven then transferred it to his left-hand side, keeping it away from her. Sighing tiredly, she got up to her feet and informed him of their departure.

"We'll see you soon son. I love you but you need to fix yourself. If not for you, do it for your family."

Linda was standing behind her with Brena asleep inside a sky blue colored stroller. Mrs.Jones helped to push the stroller out of the house. Linda didn't bother to look at Steven. She kept her head held high as she entered the car.

When she shut the door, her eyes met Steven's. A tear managed to escape as she hesitantly tore her gaze away from him.

Steven was left alone in the house that night. He ended up passing out on the couch after he finished the rest of his drink.

For almost two weeks, Linda and Brena stayed with Mrs.Jones. When he sobered up, Steven came to beg for her forgiveness and promised once again to get his act right but she was tired of dancing to the same tune.

Kevin was out of the country for his 35th birthday celebration. That put a temporary hold on her run-ins with him. Going into the third week of being away from Steven, Kevin returned and Linda was surprised to find herself happy to see him.

When her shift ended, Kevin approached her by the door and asked to take her home. She accepted and got into his car, heading to her mother in law's place. When they got there, Steven was there waiting for her to get back from work, hoping for a reconciliation.

Like lightning on a pitch-black night, Steven couldn't recognize his surroundings anymore. The joy he used to feel when he saw Linda was gone. And he knew it was all because of him. He was to blame for everything but he decided to hold someone else responsible.

With his mother in the kitchen, he put Brena back in her crib and rushed out of the house. He saw Linda closing the passenger door as she spun around to enter the house. The faint smile on her lips disappeared when she saw an angry Steven marching towards her.

The steam could be seen coming out of his ear like a furious bull. Instead of questioning her, he pushed her to the side and kept his eye on his target. Kevin was just about to take off when Steven started slamming his fists on the windshield of the car.

Kevin switched off the ignition and got out of the car, feeling annoyed by Steven's actions. Linda tried to pull Steven away but he wriggled out of her grasp as he came face to face to Kevin.

"I ain't know my wife hired a personal taxi driver." Steven grilled Kevin sarcastically.

Kevin scoffed in amusement and looked over Steven's shoulder to gaze at Linda who was running frantically inside the house to fetch for her mother in law.

"I'm her manager. I saw the beautiful lady stranded and decided to help, that's all." He tucked his hands into his pockets.

Steven wasn't sold with his explanation. There was a tiny voice in his head reminding him of the late nights Linda would come to the house in a suspicious manner. There was a reason for that and he thought this was conformation to his suspicions.

He boldly took a step forward, closing off the small space between them.

"Thank you for your services but no thank you. My wife," He waved his polished platinum silver wedding band in Kevin's face. "can come home on her own." He added.

The two men stood at attention with their legs spread apart, staring at each other without either one of them blinking. Steven clenched his jaw in anger as he got a look at Kevin.

"If Rita says she doesn't want me to give her a ride anymore then that's exactly what I'll do. I don't take orders from you," He points his index finger in Steven's face.

"Or anyone else for that matter." Kevin scowled at him before turning around to walk towards his car.

As his feet took the first step, Steven snatched Kevin's hat off his head. He whirled around angrily, feeling the cool breeze sailing past his forehead. Kevin narrowly stumbled in the process but rapidly recovered his balance.

He rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and just in time, Linda and her mother in law came outside to witness the fight that was bound to happen sooner or later.

They didn't know who threw the first punch, but suddenly Steven's fist was slamming into Kevin's face as blood pooled in his mouth as he choked in the chokehold Kevin had him in.

They sputtered apart for a brief second to seize back their breaths before lunging back at each other, eyes diminished in eagerness. Steven dodged Kevin's fist and came back up with his own.

Shortly, Kevin's icy blue eyes widened before he tilting his head back. He slammed his forehead on Steven's. An explosion of stars bedazzled Steven's vision but he shook it off. Kevin kicked Steven back, easily dodging Steven's punch.

"You punch like a bitch." He crowed, sneering infuriatingly at Steven.

Steven growled and threw himself at him and they fell to the ground instantly. Linda and Mrs.Jones ran over immediately to break them apart. Which wasn't done effortlessly because both men weighed more than she and Mrs.Jones did combine.

Kevin's blood fumed in his veins as anger took over. Steven was at the bottom, leaving him on top as he kept on throwing punches at him. Linda succeeded in tearing the two away from each other. Steven's mother was on the right-hand side holding his arm as he used his free hand to wipe the blood from his nose.

While Linda held onto Kevin who's chest heaved up and down spitting out the blood that accumulated in his mouth.

"What the hell is the matter with you?" Linda shouted at Steven. "And you Mr.James," she turned to Kevin who was walking to his car.

"I apologize for my husband's behavior but you had no right to hit him." She cautioned.

Kevin arched his brow in shock as he walked back to his car. He held onto the door handle as he listened to her criticism. He couldn't believe she was still siding with Steven.

"You're fired." He simply said before entering his car.

Linda was perplexed by his irrational decision, standing there with her jaw dropped watching Kevin drive off. The rest of the night was filled with arguments and tears. Sleep disappeared, when Linda stayed up thinking of ways to get back her job.

The next morning, she headed to the cafe in faith to speak to Kevin, with her uniform neatly wrapped in the plastic bag she held. Instead, she ran into his father, Manuel. He wasn't aware of the drastic action that his son took.

Without any further explanation from Linda, he gave her the job back and ordered her to go to the back to change into her uniform. Kevin visited the cafe to speak to his father about the latest update they received from Sicily, Italy.

When he was about to go into his father's office, he spotted Linda in the stockroom, pulling out fresh produce.

"Don't you understand what the word fired means?" He questioned with his arms folded, startling Linda.

Linda dropped the last set of bagels inside the box before answering him. "Just because you have the same last name as your father, doesn't mean anything. He's in charge, not you."

Linda was overly exhausted with his petty attitude. How could a grown man behave this childishly? She thought. She was tired of being torn down at the one place that was the source of her income. Everything she was doing, was for her baby girl.

Kevin choked up and he couldn't respond so he walked away feeling insulted. If he brought the issue up to his father, he knew what would happen. He decided to stick to the professional issue that could affect the family name and the business.

By 8:00 pm, Linda's shift ended. After she changed her clothing, she was ready to go. Due to the phone calls, negotiations, and dealing with his father's outburst, Kevin stayed at the cafe longer than he intended to.

As usual, he met Linda by the door, ready to leave for the night. Guilt kicked him in the throat as he gulped nervously while approaching her.

He tapped her shoulder, to apologize. "Mi dispiace." He said in Italian with a faint smile on his face signifying his sincerity.

"I'm sorry. For knocking your husband's tooth out." He teased, rubbing the side of his neck.

Linda scoffed as she folded her arm against her chest. "And?"

"For firing you for no reason. I shouldn't have done that." He leaned against the front counter.

She sighed in satisfaction and bit her bottom lip. "I'm glad you're aware. I have to go. Goodnight." She swung the door open and walked out of the cafe.

"Wait," Kevin shouted as he pushed the door open and stepped outside. While walking behind her, he said, "I really want to help you. What's really going on with your family?"

Linda stopped in her tracks and looked sideways striving to keep the tears from falling. "It's a long story." She muttered while tucking her hair behind her ears.

The sadness skidded over her skin. It traveled through every part of her body till it reverted back to her dark brown colored eyes. She blinked rapidly, as Kevin spun her around.

"I have time." He shrugged. "If I can just make some of your problems go away, I'd be the happiest man in the world."

He paused, using his hand to wipe the tear that was about to cleanse her face. "Just give me the chance to make you happy." She sniffled quietly and nodded in agreement.

He led her to his car then drove to his house. When the gates opened, Linda was in awe of the beauty of the vicinity. Fear overtook her as Kevin opened the door for her to go in. She was nervous and knew it so he guaranteed her safety.

Reluctantly, she entered the house one foot at a time. After settling down, he waited for Linda to explain everything in detail while he poured them a glass of his most expensive wine. Once her nerves were relaxed, she began her ranting about the unfortunate happens in her life.

He paid close attention to her all night as the conversation went deeper in detail. "And that's my story." She picked up the glass of wine and brought it up to her lips.

Kevin couldn't believe what he just heard. She was the first person that has been able to activate the single grain of humanity left in him.

"You are a fighter." He said, staring into her eyes.

He slowly leaned in and smashed his lips into hers. Linda pushed him away at first, battling with the urge she felt. For once she wanted to feel good. To feel wanted, to feel sexy, and to feel like a woman again. It's been one year since Steven touched her and at the moment, what she needed was a release.

The alcohol heightened the emotions that hung over them like mistletoe. She pressed her body against his, giving in to the temptation presented in front of her. Kevin knew what he was doing all along. The moment he longed for, fell on his lap and he believed the universe was on his side in his pursuit for her.

Kevin's plan was now in motion and Linda was walking right into the trap of a lifetime. Their burning chemistry was demonstrated in the bedroom when a sexually aroused Kevin made love to her throughout the night.

He was a different man in the sheets. He was delicate with her body and showered her with loads of passion. Her body yearned for his touch every second, every minute. Although the sex with Steven was better, she settled for what she could get at the moment.

At the break of dawn, when Linda woke up, shame clouded her countenance. She left Kevin's house silently without bothering to wake him up. When she returned to her house, Steven was passed out drunk on the couch.

She went straight to the bathroom to wash away her sins. Even the Holy water couldn't get rid of the humiliation that was smudged all over her. As she scrubbed her body with her blue loofah, Steven came into the bathroom, to join her.

He planted kisses on her neck, her shoulder blades, all the way down to her navel. She pushed him off when he got too close to her sensitive area and warned him that she wasn't in the mood.

His ego was bruised as he was left in the shower alone with the water pouring down on him. Linda went to bed and woke up later that afternoon to head to work. When she clocked in, she bumped into Kevin.

He walked in with another woman and flaunted her in Linda's face. The short brunette woman was rude when she placed her order as Linda stood in front of them, writing it down.

Kevin was punishing her because of her abrupt exit earlier that morning. She came back with their order, practically tossing the plates in front of them.

"Can I see you in the stock room please? I need your help." She said.

Kevin rolled his eyes and stood up to his feet. He followed her to the back and Linda folded her arms against her chest, glaring at him angrily.

"So the plan was to sleep with me and then what?" She hissed as jealousy burned a hole in her.

Linda felt used and stupid for falling prey. Kevin didn't respond to her question. Instead, he picked her up and kissed her as his tongue slipped into her mouth with a quickness. There was something about her that drove him wild and he knew he was falling in love with her.

His lips were still pegged onto hers, as he pulled down her underwear while carrying her further into the back. She let out soft moans while her back suddenly hit the rusty brown wall.

He was about to undo his zipper until they both heard her name being called from the front of the cafe. Linda's eyes shot open in shock as she unwrapped her legs from his waist and buttoned up her uniform before heading back to her duty post.

Kevin waited for her that night after her shift so he could lend her the money she needed to pay the rent. He informed her that if she accepted his peace offering, he would leave her alone, for good.

The first thing that crossed her mind, was prostitution but she knew she would be digging her own grave if she didn't take the money. The next month became hell for Linda but for Kevin, it was heaven on earth.

He took advantage of her helplessness and resumed the chase for her love. When the friction became severe, she chose to quit the job so she could focus on taking care of her daughter, at least that was the reason she told Manuel James when she gave in her two-week notice.

Even though things were still rocky with her marriage, she believed a more positive outcome would come in the near future. That was the last time she saw Kevin, until now.

"I never said I love you." She mumbled honestly.

Kevin took a step closer to her. "But you feel something don't you?" His eyes burned into hers as he took her hands into his.

Linda didn't feel anything but resentment. However, she couldn't tell him that. She needed to tell him what he wanted to hear.

"I do baby but I still have to tell Steven. I've hurt him enough." She used her hands to cup his face. His 5 o'clock shadow stubble lightly brushed against her skin.

"You're the one I want and sure I want to give this a chance but you need to give me time." She added with a soft tone shooting him a smile.

Kevin's heart began to beat faster as soon as Linda uttered those words. It sounded like a sweet melody to his eardrums. Though he wasn't aware of it, Kevin was indeed a sociopath.

He allowed Linda to leave so he could stir up a strategy to get Steven and Brena out of his way. They were the obstacle wanting to thwart his happiness with the love of his life. Linda was his and his only.

Kevin took out his Motorola 8400 from his pocket, and dialed his father's number, to ask for consent. "Papá, can I have the warehouse for a couple of days?"

_______________________________

07.22.2020

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

899 76 42
"𝙒𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙞𝙣, 𝙨𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙮 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙖𝙧𝙠 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙨𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙤𝙤𝙣 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙯𝙚𝙙 𝙝...
36 6 6
Three long-lasting friends, living in the city and sharing their careers and relationship dilemmas between drinks and secrets.
138 13 20
Elena. she moves to her new town in New York with her two brothers Kai, Leo and her mother, She starts a new life with new memories but one memory wi...
58.5K 1.2K 44
All the way throughout elementary school it was always Bella, Leo, Liz, Flynn, Nate, Elliot and Amelia. They were all long time friends.. In the sop...