Shapeshifters ¹ [Isaac L.]

By -procrastin8t0r

The first installment of the Shapeshifters series. - Miya Yamato was the prettiest enigma Beacon Hills had e... More

PART I
ICHI
NII
SAN
YON
GO
ROKU
NANA
HACHI
KYU
JUU
JUUICHI
PART II
JUUNII
JUUSAN
JUUYON
JUUROKU
JUUNANA

JUUGO

821 54 40
By -procrastin8t0r

JUUGO —
" Hasn't anyone ever told you it's rude to ask a woman for her age? "

" She cracked his head open like it was an egg, Scott! " Stiles whispered harshly, making it a point to keep the teen wolf in between his fragile human self and the murderous fox— even if she was nearly clear across the room. " Then she left me in the parking lot! "

" Are you more upset that she put that hunter in a coma or that she left you in the parking lot? "

" The near murder part, Scott! Obviously! " Stiles shuddered... though he was kind of upset he was left alone in the parking lot like an assclown. " She's gone off the deep end! "

True to his word, Miya Yamato had been... different, these days. More, well, feral. Even her ignorant subjects whispered as she passed in the halls of Beacon Hills, though they careful to keep their words out of her ears. After all, the school's sweetheart reduced someone to tears the other day with a smile when they said something snide about Isaac Lahey.

Besides the ruthlessness she dealt with those who spoke ill of Isaac, those who were derisive about Lydia was not spared either. None dared to have Lydia's name in their mouth in a malicious manner if Miya could even be closeby.

Peering across the hall at the fox, her head held high and proud and a serene smile painted on her berry-tinted lips, Miya stood a sentinel by the Queen Bee's side. Her proud chief courtier with a barbed tongue behind her pretty teeth.

" I was thinking ballet slipper pink with just the tiniest hint of sparkle at the tips. What do you think? " Lydia commented carelessly, inspecting her manicure.

" I think that'll make your fingers look longer. " Lydia scoffed.

" Are you saying I have short fingers? "

" Those words fell from your lips not mine, Lyds, " the fox tutted with a sly smile. " For the record, you have lovely fingers, " she continued, smoothing down the strawberry blonde's ruffled feathers as she carded her fingers through her strawberry blonde hair affectionately. The Queen Bee positively beamed.

" I knew I kept you around for a reason, Mi! "

Stiles's eye twitched at the display. As if sensing Stiles's jealousy, her eyes slid over to meet his accompanied with a sly smirk that had the boy foaming in the mouth.

" That's cold, real cold... " he groused. Scott rolled his eyes.

" If you think about it, " he motioned to the girls, " she's actually being a really good frie—... " The wolf's words died in his throat as Miya tucked a lock of Allison's chocolate brown hair behind her ear with a heart-stopping smile on her face. For a moment, the vixen's gleaming eyes met the two boys' briefly. Her cherry-lipped smile turned sly.

" ... You were saying? " The pale boy remarked a tad smugly to his friend, earning an elbow to the rib.

" McCall, Argent— you're up! "

As the huntress and the hunted scaled the wall, Miya's attention was elsewhere. And by elsewhere, really, it was across town in a decript, musty train depot with a blue-eyed boy. The fox didn't even have it in her to laugh as Scott plumpetted to the mat— not even the teen wolf's misery could tickle her palette.

Being a creature of the shadows meant being resigned to a life hunted. Miya was one such creature, and one that knew that relity better than most.

Over the many, many years however the vast majority of humanity grew skeptical. In modern times, a hunter had to have arms permits or be exceptionally adept at dodging the arm of the law. Courts don't accept cries "witches!" or "vampires!" or "demons!" as damning evidence no matter how true the accusations might actually be. In a way, the Enlightment saved the supernatural... probably why so many of the scientists of that era were supernatural entities.

Isaac though, the boy that managed to capture the affection of one such as she, was now hiding from hunter and human. The very thought of the whole debacle and how it all could have been prevented with a little more open communication made her blood boil.

Sure, it was a politics thing. A keep-the-kitsune-out-of-the-loop-to-keep-sovereign-authority thing. A move-she-would-make-if-she-was-in-Derek's-place thing... But she was a bloody hypocrite and she didn't care one bit!

It was Isaac.

𝚂̶𝚑̶𝚎̶ ̶𝚠̶𝚘̶𝚞̶𝚕̶𝚍̶ ̶𝚔̶𝚒̶𝚕̶𝚕̶ ̶𝚏̶𝚘̶𝚛̶ ̶𝙸̶𝚜̶𝚊̶𝚊̶𝚌̶

" Erica? " Coach's abnormally loud and booming voice knocked her out of her reverie. " Dizzy? Is it vertigo? "

The girl with a head of limp blonde curls didn't make a peep. She clung halfway up the rock wall too petrified to even breathe. Lydia had little sympathy for her.

" Vertigo's a dysfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear, " she scoffed with an eye-roll. " She's just freaking out. "

" Lyds... " Miya tutted, a look of disapproval crossing her face. Though it was not so much for the benefit of Erica Reyes.

If Miya was being honest, she didn't care much about the frizzy-haired girl— she didn't even remember who she was or the fact that Erica was in three of her classes and four lockers down from her— but more so because Lydia had been increasingly more vicious than usual.

While the platinum blonde wouldn't have had many issues with that (even if she appeared to on the surface, she had a reputation as a complete 'sweetheart' to keep, after all) Miya knew that Lydia's exceptional cruelty wasn't exactly... genuine.

Rather from real malicious intent, it was coming from a place of pain. Of insecurity. The way a wounded animal snaps at anyone who comes close. Lydia, no matter how much she scoffed and rolled her eyes, was deeply shaken by what had happened to her: both at the dance and the days following it. The fact that this Lydia was not the precocious, confident Lydia Martin that Miya knew and grew to love was what Miya took issue with.

" Coach, maybe it's not safe. You know, she's epileptic, " Allison piped up. Bobby Finstock scowled.

" Why doesn't anybody tell me this stuff?! " He huffed, shaking his head. Turning his attention to the frozen figure on the wall, he put on as placating a voice as he could manage. " Erica, you're fine. Just kick off from the wall. There's a mat to catch you. Come on. "

For a few moments, the sophomore didn't move. Then realizing there was no other way, she sucked in a deep breathe and pushed off from the wall, falling to the ground.

" See? You're fine. You're on the ground. You're all right. Let's go. Shake it off. You're fine. "

Coach's words were hollow and callous to the girl in the face of the scorn on her peer's faces. They snickered, pointed, traded babrbed comments and Erica— shoulders hunched in and eyes red— just knew the things they were saying about her. And she couldn't take it. The need to flee overtaking her, she ran off without dismissal.

For a moment, Miya saw Isaac in Erica.

" I hope you're all happy with yourselves, " the vixen tutted, her disapproval silencing the crowd. Turning on her heel, she went off after the girl; finding her with little difficulty croached down in the far corner of the girls' locker room.

" Erica? " Miya was mindful to keep her voice as low and calm as someone as she could get. " Are you alright? " The other girl didn't reply... which she thought was a little rude seeing Miya was the only one to reach out to her after her little breakdown— but she digressed. Approaching the curled up ball of a girl, she tutted softly, extending a hand. 

 " It really wasn't fair of them to make fun of you— " The moment the fox touched the girl, all hell broke loose. 

" What do you know about fairness?! You wouldn't understand! " The frazzled blonde hissed, slapping the other's hand off of her. " What do you know of suffering? You're perfect Miya Yamato! People fall at your feet in adoration! Rich, pretty, charming, smart, and well-liked?! " Erica scoffed, a look of disgust on her face. " God, I hate you! I hate you! " She cried, before pushing past the vixen and dashing off to who knows where. 

Miya bristled. A look passing over her marble-cold features. 

" Huh,"  the fox hummed. Lowly. In offense. " That's the last time I act out of the goodness of my heart. "

If the kistune saw that girl clambering up the rock wall without a harness later...

... Well. It was none of her business. 

Derek worked fast, Miya'd give him that. By lunchtime gone was Little Miss Nobody Erica. From the messages the fox was getting as she glided through the hallways, it was apparent that Lydia was not amused.

Lyds 👸: I don't know what the hell is happening with the world but OBVIOUSLY something has gone horribly wrong with the universe. The stars are unaligned. Mercury is in retrograde.

(Miya didn't know what a planet moving backwards meant in this context but it probably wasn't a good thing...?)

Lyds 👸: Like, literally what even happened to that Erica girl between morning PE and lunch? An ER visit then an aesthetician? Not even Kim K's doctor works that fast.

(That pop culture reference she did understand.)

Miya 🦊: You should really cut down on the trash TV, Lyds.

Lyds 👸: Rude.

" ... Isaac Lahey. "

Oh? Did someone want to die?

Miya slowed her saunter into a stalk as she approached the corner. The sharp whispers grew louder and much more malicious.

" He's always been kind of a creep, right? " A second vapid voice joined in. " A real loner. " Then a third with chalkboard laugh:

" The only time anyone even noticed he existed was when he became Miya Yamato's lab partner. "

" Oh! Oh! I heard that he isn't her lab partner anymore! " The first crowed, to be rewarded with squawks of indignation that mirrored vultures circling a carcass. " Yeah, yeah! Bobby overheard Harris telling him that he was being assigned a new one! "

" Do you think he... tried something? On her? " There were gasps. 

" On Miya Yamato?! " The fox could basically see the gawping and it made her blood boil. 

" I mean— it's Miya Yamato!

The vixen rounded the corner with such a charming polite smile that was so, so cold. Chin raised, she looked slightly down her nose at the three freshmen girls both physically (natural height boosted by her dagger-like stilletos) but in sheer presence

" Yes? " Those three little letters was posion wrapped in a bell-like tone. The sheep flinched. 

" O—Oh! " The bravest of the bunch's voice trembled under the weight of the fox's gaze. " Miya! "

" Did you need me for something? " Sugar-sweet and sharp as a whip

" No—No not at all! " Miya hummed, her smirk dressed as a little confused pout. 

" Could've sworn I heard my name though... "

" No, no! "

" Ah, must be a mistake then... " her dark gaze sharpened and (for a moment) the freshemen swore her eyes were silver " ... right? "

" ... Right. "

Miya didn't bother to offer the girls parting words. She simply offered them one last toothy grin (that looked all too much like that of an apex predator) and turned on her shiny Louboutins; throwing a hand behind her shoulder in dismissal.

Lydia might've been their Sun, bright and burning, but Miya was their Moon, cool and untouchable. Those girls?

Well, they weren't even in the running.

Some part of Stiles truly could not believe that he was really sat besides Lydia Martin. On a double date.

" Could it be any colder in here? " The strawberry blonde apple of his eye pouted adorably.

She might not have considered it a double date and was somewhat reluctant to come (especially since a certain vixen wasn't present) but she had come— it was the first step in Stiles's multi-step, multi-faceted plan to win Lydia's heart and it was good enough for him.

" Here, " he said, presenting her his favorite orange hoodie; pre-sprayed with the fancy cologne he swiped from Danny's locker. Lydia pursed her lips, looking between him and the hoodie with mild offense.

" ...I'm wearing blue, " she pointed out, gesturing to her dress then the garment in his hand. " Orange and blue? Not a good combination. "

" But it's the color of the Mets... " Stiles muttered, disheartened. Shaking his head to rid himself of his funk, he turned to the girl once more. " Okay, um, maybe orange and blue is not the best, right, you know? " He babbled, grasping for straws. " Um, sometimes, there's other things you wouldn't think would be a good combination, end up turning out to be, like, a perfect combination. You know? Like, two people together... who nobody ever thought would be together ever... " Lydia hummed.

" No, I can see that. " Stiles damn near choked on his own tongue.

" You can? "

" Yeah, " Lydia admitted, bobbing her head in agreement. " They're pretty cute together. " The girl gestured to the pair on the ice; Allison laughing as Scott tried (and failed) to stay on his feet. Stiles's hope fell flat.

" Oh, yeah... them... "

" Cute. " Her little nod both punctuated her statement... and punched a hole through Stiles's chest.

" Cute, " he groused. " Adorable. "

He thought the conversation was finished between them when suddenly Lydia commented:

" I thought Miya and Isaac were kind of like that too, you know? A combination that was so... weird that it worked. "

" Miya and Isaac? " Stiles echoed dumbly, looking at the strawberry blonde owlishly.

" Yeah! Before the whole... murder thing... She's way, way out of his league but... " Lydia smiled slightly as she recalled those days. " When she smiled around him? It was real. Not one of those perfect empty smiles she gives everyone else. " She sighed softly as she looked to the pale boy. 

" Haven't you noticed? " Lydia tutted. " Miya does thing where she plasters this... veneer of perfection, around everyone else— like she doesn't want anyone to see what's underneath it. "

Like she had something to hide. Stiles could hear the unspoken words.

While Lydia might not have understood the full extent of what Miya Yamato was hiding under her Mona Lisa smiles, Stiles did. Stiles knew all too well.

The boy had always known somewhere in the back of his head that Miya was dangerous. Before he had even known of the supernatural, he'd always known that Miya Yamato was the kind of girl who could ruin you with a smile. The bloody Winter Formal night had just solidified that notion for him. He boldly joked about it, barely bat an eyelash at her morbid threats and admissions of bloodshed, but hearing and seeing were two different things.

He barely swallowed back the bile that threatened to rise from his throat when the fox— her eyes shining and fangs on display— grasped the hunter by the side of his head and smashed his skull into the wall, cracking it open like an egg.

He barely had the strength to avert his eyes from the vicious red that stained the once blemishless wall, or to cast his eyes downwards a few feet and acknowledge the bloodied figure of the would-be assassin. No, Stiles remained cotton-mouthed and rooted to the ground as the vixen stepped over the corpse of the man and approached Isaac with an outstretched hand and a soothing smile.

" Miya? ... I'm kind of terrified of her. "

Miya Yamato was terrifying. And Stiles was terrified of being on the receiving end of her wrath.

The fugitive life wasn't all that cracked up. Isaac was bored out of his mind. 

Initially, he'd thought the abandoned train depot was kinda cool. In a super-secret-hideout from like, Batman, or something. Actually staying cooped up in aforementioned (dusty, musty, dark) depot, though, was less cool. 

There was nothing much to do around. No TV, no phone— not even any stimulating conversation from his Alpha; who'd rather kick Isaac's ass in what he called 'life lessons' than speak. After the second day, the blue-eyed wolf would rather have gone to school

Speaking of school... he never realized how much of his day school took. Up until he literally couldn't go to school without the threat of capture or worse. 

It wasn't that he was missing actual studying but rather he was missing a certain someone. 

Bleached blonde, a sharp grin, and sly eyes. Erica had complained allll about Miya as she stomped around the depot in a huff. 

" I see you've gotten a new puppy. " Isaac's heart blossomed at her voice.

" What is she doing here?! " Erica snarled, looking between Beacon Hills's Sweetheart and her Alpha. " You gave her the bite?! "

" Um, ew, no, " Miya's nose scrunched in the most adorable way as she shook her head to perish the thought. " I'm here on business, Derek, regarding the creature. Also... " she produced a paper bag from behind her back with a little grin Isaac's way, " I brought nachos! " The blue-eyed boy grinned boyishly.

" And pulled pork fajitas? " The blonde smirked, pulling out the foil-wrapped delicacy, holding it out to the wolf. 

" And pulled pork fajitas. "

" I love you, Miya. " One day he could say it to her face in a way that wouldn't be construed as friendly.

" Ugh, " Erica rolled her eyes, gaining Miya's attention. A mistake on the wolf's part. 

" If you like, I could give you the name of my stylist, " the vixen cooed slyly. " The bite might have magically cleared your skin and gave you lean muscle but only a professional can fix that rat's nest, honey. " Truth be told, her hair wasn't terrible... Miya just enjoyed the way she could get the pup to snap.

And snap the wolf did.

" Erica, no, " Derek commanded, an arm wrapped around his beta's waist and keeping her from lunging at Miya. Sending a pointed glare her way that clearly read 'don't antagonize my beta' he felt his blood pressure rise as the fox simply smirked and shrugged arrogantly.

" You're a few years too young to challenge her, Erica, " the alpha added, flexing his arm as the girl struggled in his grasp, growling and snapping.

" I can take her, " the blonde insisted angrily. Miya didn't even bat an eyelash at her.

In fact, she simply looked amused, as if watching a chihuahua challenge a lion, and it incensed Erica. Now more than ever, she made her feel worthless. Miya made her feel as if, despite the bite— the health, the glow, the strength— Erica would always be the epileptic nobody who pissed herself.

" I said no, " Derek growled at his misbehaving beta. Miya laughed airily, popping her shoulders nonchalantly.

" Oh, let her try, " the vixen chirped in a light tone. " I'll just split her open from gut to throat and pull out her liver for a bite. " When Derek growled lowly at her words, she scoffed. " What? I doubt that it will kill her. Hurt tremendously, yes. Kill, no... Maybe... Probably...? "

Derek sighed, turning his attention to his beta and addressing her seriously.

" Foxes follow their own code. They're own moral compass. They're proud creatures who won't hesitate to make your life hell, " the alpha cautioned, throwing the kitsune a wary look. " Especially ones who've been around the block as long as Miya has. " Erica scoffed.

" She's our age! " The blonde beta asserted.

" Yeah... " Derek's tone dripped with sarcasm. " If you multiplied that by a hundred. " That had knocked the betas into a stunned silence as they blinked owlishly at the fox.

" Give or take a few decades, " Miya added nonchalantly, as she inspected her nails. Noticing the wide-eyed looks on the new wolves' faces she shrugged. " It all blurs together after a while. " Derek huffed.

" That fox has been around long before we even were. Since she's a progenitor... " his tone was tinged with a hint of pity, green eyes flickering to his blue-eyed beta for a moment " ... she'll likely be here long after we're gone. "

Isaac couldn't stop himself from asking just how old she was later when they were alone.

" Hasn't anyone ever told you it's rude to ask a woman for her age? " Miya laughed, though not maliciously, as she finsihed off her fajita. Isaac shrugged, a cheeky look on his face.

" Is it rude to ask a kitsune for her age? " She pressed her lips together in an attempt to smother the grin that threatened to bloom.

" Clever boy... " she cooed, poking his cheek and elliciting a full-bodied laugh. Simmering down, the fox's bright eyes were clouded with the weight of old memories. " I... I honestly can't quite remember. I, for sure, was born sometime in the Heian era in Kyoto, so at least a good thousand years... though the exact year is a little difficult. Even my memory is not perfect. The details fade with time. "

Isaac wasn't sure what to even say to that

" Wow. " 

The fox huffed, gesturing towards the wolf with her lipstick in hand. 

" If you even think I'm old, I'll smack you. "

" I wasn't! I was just thinking... "

" Thinking...? "

" It's a good thing I'm into older girls. "

Ah, Miya smirked inwardly. The other, the real, Isaac Lahey came out. She was wondering when he'd show up. 

" Is that so? " The vixen hummed, carefully fixing her perfectly painted crimson lips. Like blood against the backdrop of her porcelain skin. As she gazed into the compact mirror in one hand and touched up her lips with the other, he couldn't help but think that she looked divine with blood on her lips. The glint in her eyes when she peered over her mirror at him told him that she knew it.

That she knew she'd look just as divine with his blood on her lips.

" Uh-huh. "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.9K 887 38
❝ the way he looks at her, i don't think he's never looked at me that way ❞ ❝ maybe you just weren't looking ❞ High school is supposed to be hard. Th...
107K 4.9K 61
❝𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦𝘥, 𝘢 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘰𝘶𝘵, 𝘢 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨�...
73 0 6
Luna Whittemore and Isaac Lahey grew up across the street from one another and would always find a way to be together. One day, Isaac starts ignoring...
21.4K 693 79
I've got no use for moonlight Or sappy poetry Love at first sight's for suckers At least it used to be Look, girls are nice, once or twice Till I fin...