The Boy I Love

By laceygwhyte

Tyler Andrews is the best wrestler at his club. He's also one of the most popular guys at school, and has no... More

Introduction
Tyler Andrews: Face
Gas Tank
Bump
Heavy
Top of the Card
Squash?
Stable
No Sell
Chemistry
Rest Hold
Spot
Grind
Booking
Breaking Kayfabe
Epilogue

Heat

1.5K 86 31
By laceygwhyte

The taxi driver drops me off at the front of the shopping centre, and I pay him before practically skipping inside. I feel ten times lighter now that I know Leo's going to win the tournament.

Of course, I'll have to do a lot of explaining when I get back. To everyone. Coach Turner will be pissed, and rightfully so after everything he did to get me to this tournament. Vick will probably be the most understanding, since he knows the most, but he won't be happy with me for just running away. Nick will be pretty upset that I didn't show up to beat Leo, which isn't ideal, since he'll probably have a bit more ill will towards Leo. And Leo...

Leo will have several reasons to be mad at me. 1. I went back on my word. 2. I didn't do what he explicitly said he wanted. 3. I let him win, hence not showing much respect for him or his wishes. 4- maybe I should just stop there.

I'm very aware that he might not still want me, after all of this. Which would suck massively, but that'll be nothing compared to how I would feel if something happened to him again if he didn't have the chance to move away. His safety is the most important thing. Easily. Undoubtedly. And not just physical safety, but also mental and emotional safety- he must be traumatized already, he doesn't need to suffer through anything more.

I wander in and out of stores, not spending any money because I know that I'll have to take a cab back. I can spare enough for two meals, so around noon I go to the food court. Around this time, people will be wondering where the heck I am. The match is only in like, an hour or so. Right on cue, my phone buzzes. It's from Nick.

Where are you?!

I don't respond. But I don't put my phone on silent, either. I'm kind of hoping Vick will text me to tell me what's going on over there, so I can know when it's safe to go back. Not that he knows about this, but in hopes that I might check it and come back or something. I don't know.

About twenty minutes later, I get a text from Vick, as expected.

If you're in your room with Leo, you should probably start thinking about getting ready for the match.

Ah, so that's why he didn't text sooner. He thinks I'm making out with Leo. The time ticks by, and eventually I get another text from Vick.

I just saw Leo. He said you weren't in your room. Jack's going up to check. Where are you, you have a match you moron.

That's why I'm not there, I want to tell him. Soon after:

Okay, Coach is asking us where you are, and he's not looking super thrilled.

And then:

This isn't hide and seek you idiot you'll lose the match by forfeit if you

Tyler you'd better not be trying to hide so that you don't have to wrestle Leo.

Of course Vick got it. He knows me too well. I consider responding, but decide against it. I can explain later.

If you're trying to make some big romantic gesture for Leo by forfeiting the match, you might wanna rethink that. He looks pretty pissed.

The start time of the match ticks closer and closer, and the texts from everyone who has my number get more and more urgent. I ignore all of them except Vick's, which basically keep me updated on what's happening.

Tyler, just because Leo deserves to win doesn't mean you should disappear off the face of the Earth.

Coach is trying to convince the refs to give you another few minutes to show up.

I don't think the refs are going to give you more than five minutes to get your stupid idiotic tooshie over here.

I don't know what you're playing at, but Leo doesn't look happy about it, and all I can see are his eyes. They are murderous.

Dude, he's going to kill you.

I finally text back, seeing as the match was supposed to have started ten minutes ago.

who

YOU MORON WHERE ARE YOU WHY HAVE YOU BEEN GHOSTING EVERYONE?

is it over

Leo's been announced the winner, if that's what you mean. He's the first in a long line of people who look like they want to kill you. Also Coach Turner, Nick, Jack, every other guy on our team, and myself. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

he needs it vick

You keep saying that, but he doesn't look like he wants it.

idc if he wants it i'll be back in an hour or so

Where are you?

hiding, wdut

From the posse that's going to bury you alive the second we see your face? Good plan.

this was important, vick i couldn't let there be a chance that i mite win

It takes him a few minutes to respond.

I'll consider not killing you after you give me some kind of explanation as to what the heck you were thinking.

i cant its not my place but it was important i promise i wouldnt have done this if it wasnt rly rly important i wouldn't risk losing him

Again, it takes a minute or so.

Fine. But I'm not defending you.

I take a deep breath. Alright. One down, like, a hundred to go. Though, the only ones I really need to worry about are Coach Turner, Nick, Jack, and (most importantly) Leo.

I eventually go back to the hotel to face the music. Coach Turner sees me first, and he looks so mad that steam actually might start pouring out his ears. His voice is scarily quiet when he asks, "Where have you been, Andrews?"

I force myself to hold his gaze and tell him the truth. "I was at the shopping centre. On the other side of town."

He pinches the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "The shopping centre? You were at the shopping centre, on the other side of town, when you were supposed to be here, competing for the title of the tournament?"

I swallow. "Yes, sir."

"And is there a reason you didn't happen to show up?"

"Um... yes, sir."

"And what is that?"

"I... I can't tell you, sir."

He fixes me with a look that could kill. "You can't tell me. Why you didn't show up. To the final match of the tournament that I broke rules to get you into."

I gulp. "I'm sorry. I really appreciate everything you did for me. But... this was important. I promise."

"I'd certainly hope so, Andrews." The look in his eyes tells me he's not planning on breaking any more rules for me, after this. Which is fair, honestly.

My next confrontation is the guys. Nick looks furious. "Tyler! What the heck, man! Where were you?!"

Jack looks disappointed. "Seriously. You get to the final, and then you don't show up?"

Vick stays silent, though he holds my gaze as though telling me that my important reason had better have actually been as important as I said.

I manage to escape pretty quickly and go straight to my room. The only person who I really, really need to talk to, is Leo.

He's pacing when I come in. When the door opens, he spins on his heel and glares at me, looking positively outraged. He's still wearing his mask, which also hurts.

"You agreed, Tyler! We agreed and you backed out! Do you care about me at all?!" he yells, pointing at me accusingly.

"Of course I care about you! I did this for you!" I yell back.

"If you did, you would have done what I wanted!"

"Not a chance! Why would I do what you wanted when that was obviously going to mean I'd win?!"

"Maybe it didn't! We don't know, because you went back on your word!"

"Obviously!" I throw up my hands. "Do you really think I'd be able to go to a match where I could have won?! You need that money!"

"Do you have any respect for me at all? I don't want your pity, Tyler!"

"Pity?! It's not pity! You need that money, and I don't want it!"

"So you completely ignored what I said I wanted?! You just ignored what I explicitly told you I wanted, and then you say you did this for me?"

"I don't care what you want if your safety could be on the line! You think I could show up to that match and live with myself afterwards, knowing I could have jeopardized your safety and happiness for who knows how long?!"

"I don't need you to protect me, Tyler! You have no faith in me at all!"

"I'm not trying to protect you! You clearly don't think too much of me if you think I could ever put myself in a position where your safety could be compromised- your physical safety, your mental safety, your emotional safety-" he tries to cut me off, but I keep going. "I could never even think of doing anything that might expose you to something as traumatizing as everything you've already gone through, so of course I didn't show up! Of course I went back on my word, and didn't listen to what you wanted! I don't care at all about your righteous and noble wishes if it could jeopardize the safety of the boy I love!"

He stops, and after realizing what I just said, I do too. We stare at each other for a moment- both of us are crying. The fabric of his mask around his eyes is soaked with tears. It's silent, a loud contrast to the screaming match we just had.

"You love me?" he finally chokes out, still staring at me. I close my eyes and sigh.

"Yes. Why else would I risk losing you?"

He looks at me for a moment, then pulls off his mask. It's a massive relief, and he takes a step towards me a second later. I go to him and carefully take him in my arms, holding him as tightly as I can. He does the same, both of us sobbing into each other's shirts as we clutch each other.

"I'm sorry," he whispers. "I shouldn't have asked you to..."

"Shhh. It's okay." I rub his back comfortingly. "It's alright. You'll be able to move, now."

He snuggles up to me, still crying. "Can I at least give you a little bit of the prize money? As thanks?"

"Not a chance. Can I give you the entire second place prize, if I didn't get completely disqualified for not showing up?"

He laughs a little through his tears. "You didn't, you're still getting the money for second place. But no."

"Is there anything I can do to change your mind?"

"You can try later. I'm sorry for asking you to stick to our original agreement after I told you about my scars..."

I kiss his forehead. "I'll forgive you if you let me give you the second place prize."

He laughs again. "You're relentless."

"I try." I kiss his cheeks, and brush away the last of his tears. "Now come on, we have the awards dinner in a few hours. And I have a lot of things to ask you about before we leave this hotel. Starting with: your phone number."

We trade contact information and he promises to keep me updated on his moving plans. We make out, etc., etc., then shower, get dressed for the awards dinner, fall asleep in each other's arms, and in the morning, I don't leave our room until I've given him one last lingering kiss.

"I love you."

Thank you so very very much for reading The Boy I Love! Please feel free to let me know what you think! Did the story turn out how you thought it would? Who's your favourite character? Least favourite character? Which chapter was your favourite (let me know by voting!)?

Thank you again for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184 30 13
Tyler, a boy popular with both girls and boys, is entering his final year of high school. Conceited and a party animal, he does not lack self-confide...
1.8K 127 44
Tyler, the popular jock with a gentle and friendly demeanor who never fails to brighten Miles' darkest days, helped Miles, the openly gay teenage kid...
2M 84.2K 31
Troye has a perfectly normal life, thank you very much. He attends high school almost regularly, and sees no qualms having a steady relationship with...
11 0 11
In the vibrant whirlwind of London's hustle, Leo juggles university, parties, and the occasional indulgence of alcohol and drugs. Adored by all of hi...