The Protector

By ShadeandShadows

Thrust into an unknown world that had only lived in myth, Tracy Evans finds herself mated to a werewolf, Prot... More

Author's Note (Please read)
Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (Mature Content)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5 (Mature Content)
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (Mature Content)
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 (Short Bonus)
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30 (Mature Content)
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 (Mature Content)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 (Mature Content)
Chapter 37 (Mature Content)
Chapter 38 (Mature Content)
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Not a Chapter
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 (Mature Content)
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Just a note... please read.
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Before we continue... Help Wanted
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Author's Note (Ignore this)
Author's Note
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
THE END
Author's Note
Q & A
NEW BOOK!!!
EXCITING NEWS!!!

Chapter 20

4.1K 178 23
By ShadeandShadows

For everyone that follows me and/or has "The Protector" in the library and are receiving notices. I am editing. So this isn't technically a "new" chapter. I'm just rearranging things. Thank!

CHAPTER 20

The smell of rain was heavy in the rain and the grey clouds overhead cast deep shadows blocking the sun entirely. The wolves were quiet as they watched the group of strangers come into their mist. There were four men and three women. While the wolves held a rugged and strong beauty that was like the earth and woods, the vampires were more cold and polished like serpents.

^ Lord Gideon Blood ^

John had met Lord Gideon and worked with him to capture some rogue vampires that had crossed into their packs territory right after John had become Alpha. Jonathan felt that John's familiarity with the vampire might count for a smoother introduction. John, followed by Jonathan, stepped forward as a tall vampire approached him, "Lord Gideon Blood, welcome."

"We've heard that a Protector resides with your pack. I and the other Heads of the Vampire Covens wish to meet her." The vampire called Gideon responded.

"Yes. That is true and you all are welcome." John answered politely.

"We will assess her capabilities."

"For what purpose?" Jonathan growled stepping forward as the cold black eyes of the pale vampire met his own.

"This is my son, Jonathan. I have recently turned the title of Alpha to him." John said by way of an introduction.

"Alpha," Gideon acknowledged with a slight bow before telling his story, "Centuries ago, there was a witch by the name of Ivory White. She lead a revolt against all the heads of the supernaturals. My father was the Coven Head at that time. Using magic she was able to trick the vampire royals, 12 Alphas of the largest Were packs in the world, and the Sprite queen, Rosa, into agreeing to allow her be name Queen Supreme of the supernatural world.

^ Ivory White ^

The Coven Heads and the Alphas of smaller packs were not sure why she wanted power. Witches are notorious for being reclusive and never sought more than the simple life. Almost like monks. But by agreement of vampire royals and major Alphas, Ivory White was named Queen Supreme.

At first, small laws were changed that many agreed with and she showed a lot of benevolence to the poorer less powerful creatures. Everyone started to believe that she was the best thing to have happened. But we were all deceived.

She started to invite supernaturals into to cities in order to unify her strength. No one realized the extent of her deviance because she would always package it in her "Best for us" propaganda which was based on fear and greed. Heavy taxation was placed on everyone living outside the cities. Then she proposed 'The Shunning,' which basically declared everyone living outside of her cities as being Rogue. Humans near the cities lived in peril of being taken and used as slaves or food.

All the Coven Heads, including my father and all the smaller Were packs decided that enough was enough. They tried to form an alliance, but they began to argue and fight on what was the best plan, how to go about it, and who was in charge. We were being hunted and running out of time and resources. Then out of nowhere, a beautiful young girl with dark skin and grey eyes appeared. Her name was Ruth and she was a Protector.

^ Ruth the Protector^

She was only 15, but when she spoke her voice held the command of a hundred Alphas and was more compelling than a vampire king yet held the elegance and beauty of a fairy princess. She made us believe in the seemly impossible. Many still questioned her abilities, so she challenged us to send our strongest against her.

Alpha Ephraim of the werelions stepped forward. He said that even though he believed her words he wished her to demonstrate her strength. We went into a large field where he shifted into a massive lion and charged forward. In a blink of an eye she had him pinned down and said, "A lion is strong and brave but his Pride are one with him and his strength." She then invited all the She-lions to join their Alpha to take her down. It was a brutal attack but Ruth moved gracefully without gaining so much as a scratch.

She gathered the witches and sorcerers not corrupted by Ivory White to help build a prison, its location unknown. Hunters joined our cause in order to thwart the Queen's plan to enslave humans. Ivory White was eventually defeated and her cities destroyed."

The vampire paused. Jonathan asked, "Why tell us this?"

"Vampires have lived for so long that our chronicles have become history and our libraries hold the truth of legends. My nephew broke our laws and entered into the Tomb of Silence, a place where the darkest of secrets are stored. No one can enter the Tomb of Silence without the full permission of the High Council. As you know the High Council made up of two elders from every supernatural kind as well as a direct descendant of the first Hunter. The only thing taken was a partial map and journal by Mohammed the Wizard. The location of Ivory White's prison is unknown by any one person. Mohammed's journal however is said to have clues. Whether these clues are real or unfounded it does not matter, to search for the prison is still considered treason by the old laws."

"What would he want with an old prison?" Jonathan asked.

"Some witches live a very very long time." Gideon said.

"So chances are this is some sort of power hunt rescue mission?"

"Even if Ivory White is dead, the knowledge a witch had is placed into another host creature. That creature will seek out live being, usually another witch, similar to it's original owner. That way the knowledge never dies out."

"What kind of creature?" Jonathan asked.

"Any creature that has the ability to move. An ant, roach, rat, bird, human doesn't matter. The host will live until its purpose is served as long as it stays within the vicinity of where the witch's body was laid to rest. Once the knowledge if fully placed into the 'intended' then the person will be given the witch's full power."

"When did your nephew take this journal?" John asked.

"Seventeen years ago."

"And he hasn't been found yet?"

"He was found and imprisoned fifteen years ago. The whereabouts of the journal and map are unknown. An enchantment that only a high born or original enchantress could break, was placed on both. As of now we have no idea if the enchantment had been broken or where they are located. We fear that with the timing of the stolen items and the birth of a Protector that this might be more than a coincidence. We would like to meet the Protector and lend our services as trainers. She had been with you for 5 months so her training with you must be near to complete."

"Werewolf training takes two years." Jonathan pointed out.

"For a young werewolf maybe but a Protector shouldn't take more than 6 months to be able to take down an Alpha."

Jonathan mind linked everyone in the pack to come to the training grounds. Tracy and Carla paused their practice when Carla received the message.

"The company must have arrived." Tracy said apprehensively.

"You'll be fine. After all the average werewolf would need at least two years of training in order to have complete control so I doubt they'll be expecting too much." Carla said trying to assure her friend.

"And if they do?"

"Well then, you show them."

"I can't do it without you Carla." Tracy said quietly, "Please?"

Carla sighed and closed her eyes.

"I know that you're scared. But hiding isn't going to resolve anything. Your family hasn't accepted you and if your mate doesn't know about you then what's to stop him from finding someone else? If he rejects you then the bond will be broken and you'll be free from the pull." Tracy said before whispering, "But what if he accepts you?"

Carla opened eyes filled with tears as her heart was overwhelmed with longing.

Tracy smiled in understanding, "These bonds have become our shackles but it's up to us if we decide to hide in a prison. No matter what, you have my word, I'll be there for you forever."

Tears spilled down Carla's cheeks as she suddenly giggled, "Wow that was beautiful and cliche."

Tracy grinned, "What can I say? I'm the END in Friend."

"Okay, okay, just stop." Carla said rolling her eyes.

"So you with me bestie?"

"Fine," she agreed knowing that no matter what she would stand by her only friend, "just don't call me 'bestie.'"

"Well then can I call you 'Shirley'?" Tracy asked referring to the old Airplane movie.

"You want to die?"

Packing away their equipment and weapons, they headed over to meet with the rest of the pack. Everyone had gathered together on one end of the field. Jonathan, Erik, John, Jordan Baines, and a small of pale strangers stood apart from the rest. Jonathan bid her to come over and join them.

"What's going on?" Tracy asked as she approached.

"This is Lord Gideon Blood, one of the heads of the vampire covens" Jonathan introduced the tall pale stranger.

"It is an honor to meet you." The vampire said taking her proffered hand and bowing slightly over it in a courteous manner.

"Same here." she said with a smile, slightly thrown off by the cool skin touching hers.

"Tracy." John said, "Lord Gideon would like to see how far you've come in your training."

"Sure." Tracy said looking over uncertainly at Carla. They both knew that Tracy had to demonstrate her powers but when John was Alpha, he was taking things much slower by following a young werewolf's training schedule. Jonathan has ignored Tracy's training altogether so she had followed the simple training routines. Deciding to follow regular training as to not usurp old Alpha's way, Tracy ran fast pace around the field about the speed of a young werewolf.

Gideon shook his head and yelled angrily, "She is supposed to be a Protector. I've met her predecessor and her abilities far surpassed anything I've ever seen. This girl is an embarrassment to the title."

Carla was enraged on her friend's behalf, "Hey Pastie!" Carla suddenly yells from across the field drawing everyone's attention and outraged hisses from the vampires, "You want to see what she can do?"

"Carla?" Tracy says quietly as she watches Carla pulls two handheld semi automatic hand guns from her knapsack, "Oh this is such a bad idea." Tracy said with a slight cringe.

Carla smirked then began firing towards the small group. Screams and gunfire filled the air but then stop as everyone realized that not a single bullet was hitting its target. Tracy ran at Sprite speed plucking the bullets from the air stopping in front of the small lake at the other end of the field. Her eyes burned a bright silver. Holding her fist up, she opened her hand, spreading her fingers as the bullet slugs rained down. Everyone was stunned into absolute silence.

Tracy and Carla smirked at each other. Tracy pulled a trench knife from the hidden holster on her lower back and smiled at Carla. Carla laughed with abandonment and then charged transforming instantaneously into her large Beta sized red wolf. All the werewolves gasped in disbelief, a Beta wolf had been given the rank of Omega which has never happened. Ignoring the mummers and whispers, Tracy ran forward slashing and cutting while blocking the vicious claws and teeth of her opponent.

Jordan was stunned seeing his niece transform. He assumed that she couldn't shift. He felt ashamed that he never tried to have a relationship with her. Being born wasn't her fault neither was it her father's fault that Jordan's father had sex with someone other than his mate. Jordan realized that now and felt the crushing weight of guilt knock him to his knees. It was his fault that Jackson's mate died and his fault that Jackson was exiled. Carla was being bullied and he did nothing to protect her.

Carla's wolf, Vera, and Tracy had both become much stronger during their training together. Tracy was able to exercise her powers and Carla and her wolf didn't hold back. Vera latched onto Tracy's arm as she tried to thrust the knife into Vera's shoulder. Vera flung Tracy towards the pond. Rolling and coming to her feet, Tracy stood on the bank waiting for Vera to charge. Blood dripped down her right arm as the wound closed. Vera streaked forward in a flash of teeth and fur. Tracy used her left hand to grab the scruff of Vera's neck and using the wolf's forward momentum against her, Tracy rolled onto her back and launched Vera into the pond with her feet. Standing once again, Tracy moved to high ground to await Vera's next move knowing how much the wolf hated getting her fur wet.

Vera growled loudly, the noise echoing across the field, standing in the chest high water as she made her way out while glaring at Tracy. Tracy thought she heard some say something but her attention was dripping wolf. Vera was suddenly tackled onto her back from the side by a huge black wolf. The black wolf bared its teeth and bit down on Vera's shoulder marking her. Tracy was shocked. She wanted to help her friend but something held her back. She felt that the black wolf, despite having its teeth sunk into her friend's neck/shoulder area, would not cause any harm.

Vera howls of pain turned into Carla's scream as she quickly transformed back into her human form. The black wolf removed its teeth and licked the wound it caused. Tracy used her speed to grab the sheet, that Carla usually used to transform so she wouldn't be naked, from her knapsack. Approaching her naked friend slowly, the black wolf still standing above Carla growled. Tracy held up the sheet.

"I think she would appreciate not being naked in front of all and sundry?"

The black wolf looked down at his naked and exhausted mate before nodding at Tracy. Licking her cheek twice and one more lick to her new mark, causing Carla to moan slightly, the black wolf stepped back. Tracy held the sheet up and draped it over Carla's small 5'2" frame. Carla's eyes shut tiredly and she drifted off. The black wolf shifted into a very naked Jack. His eyes remained focus on his mate's unconscious face as he gently picked her up and carried her back to the pack house.

==================================================

So hopefully I didn't mess anyone who was already reading the book up.

Sorry if I did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

274 2 42
Seth Jackson was the first of her kind. She was the first ever tribrid in history. Knowing this, her two brothers were going to do anything in her po...
5.3M 142K 80
I was walking down the hallway when all of the Sudden I feel a hand grab me and pull me into a janitors closet . I let out a scream , not knowing w...
3.2M 23K 5
Excerpt only: I quickly run in their direction as my claws elongate into fierce points. I watch as a man in all black strikes down and kills one of...
199K 5.3K 28
Alpha of Mine - Preview ********** Sophie introduced Trevor to my mate and I watched Denver interact with them before excusing herself to the kitchen...