A Timely Knight

By DaveNite27

2020 Watty Award Winner: Science Fiction In the city of Slatehallow, Eldon begins having strange dreams about... More

Awards and recognitions
A Dream of Machines
A Timely Encounter
A Shared Dream
A Withered Flower
A Training Session
A Lady of Great Importance
A Firefly on the Windscreen
A Toy to Play with
A Dance with Death
A Royal Invitation
A Future Queen
A Blood Moon
A Gun Out of her Case
A Scorpion's Tail
A Death in the Castle
A Broken Man
A Helping Hand
A Deep, Cut Off Voice
A Proposal
A Kiss Before Dawn
A Shadow in the Hall
A Scorpion's Nest
A Chase in the Night
A Gun Firing
A Shade of Indigo
A Late-Night Confession
A Broken Kingdom
A Hole in Your Old Brown Overcoat
A Certain Song
A Noble Sacrifice
A Chance to Evolve
A Blooming Flower
A Bullet to the Head
A Random Meeting
A Coronation
A Flightless Bird
A Flower with Thorns
A Heavy Rock
A Terrible Thing To Lose

A Remedy to Cure All Ills

582 89 24
By DaveNite27

Arabella stepped out of the cart with an urgent clumsiness. It had been almost four months since she had left the comfort of Ravenport to go deep into the bowels of Leverfort, searching for a way to bring and end to Indigo's grasp on the Royal Family. When she had arrived at Ivoryport, the threat of marriage had been looming large. Her future was set and she was just going through the motions.

The timely death of Raynard, by her own hand no less, had turned her world around. It had all but guaranteed a new road for her. No longer bound by a promise, no longer a candidate to bear the crown. Her mission accomplished, she could seemingly allow herself some brief, precious moments of sweet tranquillity.

As she breathed the cold Ravenportian breeze, sneaking into her own home under the cover of the night, she wondered what the future would hold for her.

"This is a nice home," the Shark said as he helped Shooter Viola out of the cart.

Arabella saw the proud woman resenting the Shark's help but accepting it nonetheless and a shooting smile illuminated her face. Inadvertently, she had learnt to not only accept this weird and seemingly random group of individuals, but actually appreciate it. After all, without them, her fight would have been a longer, messier one.

"How kind of you," Arabella said in an almost mocking tone.

The Shark flashed her a bright smile full of teeth. She almost blushed; she was certain that he was smitten with her, something that, much to her surprise and shame, she found quite flattering. However, she also knew the Captain still did not fully trust her. Bringing him to this meeting was an olive branch, a way for her to prove to him, and the Shooter and the Viscount, that they now had her trust. Because they really did. Her experience in Leverfort had shown her this was battle that could not be won without allies.

As they entered the manor, Arabella was greeted by the familiar scent of cinnamon and vanilla. Alder must have baked the rolls that Arabella loved so much. Her heart instantly melted and her defences lowered.

She was home.

"Ara!" Alder's familiar voice made her turn her gaze towards the sitting room, where the plump and kind man awaited her with open arms. Arabella ran to him, burying her face in his soft and warm frame, just like she did when she was a child.

"Oh Ara, I can't tell you how happy I am. I've been praying every night for your safe return."

His gentle words were melodies that she had sorely missed. She had always depended on Alder for comfort and encouragement. While Master Nilla was all discipline and strength, Alder was soft and reassuring. Arabella knew she was strong and was certain of her own courage. However, she sometimes liked to be protected. It felt nice to have someone praying for her well-being.

"I have missed you too, papa."

She had taken to calling him that somewhere in her teens. She would always remember his face the first time she said those words. He had not cried. Instead, he had beamed widely. His chest had inflated and his face had relaxed. It was as if all concern had left him entirely, leaving just an honest brightness in its place.

Ever since, every time he saw her, his face went to the same place. She dreaded the day when his eyes no longer glimmered at her sight.

"Welcome back, dear."

Arabella's gaze turn to the other side of the room. Standing in between Master Eldon and Don Timothy, Master Nilla smiled at her. It was her same knowing, confident and somewhat distant smile, one Arabella had received numerous times, whenever she successfully dodged a bullet or got up back to her feet after being knocked out. However, this time, there was something else hidden in Master Nilla's features: Affection. Love.

It was not like Arabella did not know that she was loved by the woman. It was just that Master Nilla hardly ever showed it.

"Thank you, Master," she said as she walked towards her. Their hug was a long time coming and it felt earned.

The bond between them was one that did not make much sense to outsiders; to them, it was crystal clear. Words did not need to be spoken to be true and feelings did not need to be displayed to be felt.

Arabella adopted a more solemn tone. "Master Eldon. Don Timothy."

"Marquise," the Don replied.

"Not quite dead yet, I see," the Master said, only half-serious.

"Not for lack of trying," she said and they both smirked.

"I am so sorry, I seem to have lost my manners" she said, turning back to the three guests she had brought from the capital. "May I present the Viscount Nestor Lawrence Hammer, of Aronport; the Captain August Hannibal Batchelor, of the SteelCorps; and the Shooter Viola Hecuba Hawk, of the SteelCorps."

"How do you do," the Captain said, bowing. The Viscount and the Marquise imitated him.

Arabella continued with her introductions. "Viscount, Captain, Shooter, may I introduce the Master Petronilla Eugenia Massey and her husband, Alder Horatio Maycock." Her parents bowed before she went on. "Don Timothy Lemuel Lever, of Vanderport." The Don gave and even more formal nod. "And the Master Eldon Emmanuel Elmstone."

Master Eldon, of course, made a clumsier and more exaggerated bow that brought a chuckle out of both the Shooter and the Shark. Arabella even smiled at his juvenile attempts, something that surprised her.

"Don Timothy, I was saddened about the news of your failed engagement towards my dear cousin, Agatha," the Viscount said as he walked towards the sofa.

"Ah yes, it was sad indeed," Don Timothy replied in his most formal tone.

"I did not know your engagement had been finalized, Don Timothy," Arabella said, inquisitive eyes travelling to the young man.

"Yes. My situation has changed." The Don's eyes travelled to Master Eldon, whose knowing smile was enough to let her know.

"I see," she simply said, raising one eyebrow.

"It's disappointing," the Viscount went on. "The union of our families would've made much sense."

"Yes, yes, It's truly awful and we're all broken-hearted," Master Eldon said in a slightly annoyed tone.

Master Nilla mediated. "Time is of the essence, shall we speed things along?"

Alder agreed. "Marvellous, then. Viscount, Captain, Shooter, do take a seat."

They all obeyed, forming a semi-circle in the sitting room. To any outsider, they might look like a group of friends, gathering to catch up after some time apart. The truth, of course, was much darker.

"First things first," Master Nilla said as she poured the wine on the glasses in front of them. "On behalf of Alder and myself, we must thank you all for the help you gave our Arabella during these troubled weeks. We really are indebted to you."

"No need to thank us, Master. It was our pleasure. You have a lovely girl."

The Shark flashed a bright smile, and Arabella couldn't help but think he was trying to make a good impression. She rolled her eyes but said nothing more.

"Besides," Shooter Viola spoke for the first time, "the Marquise's fight is one that concerns us all. We've seen things that have shook us to our very cores. We can't just ignore that."

"That's precisely why we've gathered here tonight, my dear Shooter," Alder said, offering her the glass of wine.

"We've been fighting by ourselves for too long," Master Nilla said, before taking one generous drink from the glass. "The time has come for us to admit that a matter like this cannot and should not remain in the dark any longer."

"You're not suggesting we go public with this information, are you, Master?" The Shark raised his eyebrows in confusion.

Don Timothy answered his question. "Of course not. Mass panic is the last thing we need right now. News like these would only be detrimental to the cause."

"People are stupid when they're frightened," Master Eldon added.

The Viscount nodded. "Agreed. So what do you suggest?"

Arabella figured it was her time to speak. "Trained professionals such as yourselves," she pointed to the Shark and the Shooter, "made all the difference in the throne room battle. As such, the next logical step would be to take this matter to the SteelCorp Engine."

"This is where you enter, Captain Batchelor," Master Nilla said, pouring herself more wine. "As a senior member of the SteelCorps, would you consider appropriate, or useful even, to include the organization in this matter?"

The Shark exchanged looks with the Shooter, as they both tried to communicate without using words.

"I'm not certain, in all honesty," he finally answered, laying back on his chair. "You're not to know, and I'm not to tell, but the organization is facing some issues."

"Power disputes have caused quite the chaos, especially among the upper ranks," Shooter Viola continued. "For some time now, matters of succession have been unclear."

"As such, the priorities of the organization have tilted from actually keeping order, to deciding who will wield the Steel Sword." The Shark's voice was tired, as if he was embarrassed of the words that came out of his mouth.

"Sounds about right," an impatient Master Eldon said. "No offense, but the SteelCorps don't have the best track record when it comes to getting shit done."

"Non taken," the Shooter replied, raising her glass to Eldon's words.

"Then, is going to the SteelCorps out of the question?" Arabella asked.

"At least for now, I wouldn't advise it," the Shark answered without any hesitation. "Do you think it necessary to include them into this?"

"What we faced in Leverfort is only a taste of what we are really against," Arabella said, her voice adopting a sombre tone.

"I thought you said killing the Crown Prince would end this epidemic," the Viscount spoke, using a slightly accusatory tone.

"For now," she defended herself. "But like any epidemic, it is only a matter of time before it starts again."

"We might have a solution to that, actually."

Don Timothy's voice took her by surprise, but his words truly startled her. Turning around to face him, she tried to interpret his eyes, looking for any hint of irony.

"Explain yourself," the Viscount demanded and Don Timothy looked slightly taken aback. He was clearly not used to being bossed around.

"Well," he said, rapidly recuperating his composure, "Eldon and I have made some discoveries regarding this illness. Because it is an illness."

"And like any illness, it has a remedy, we just need to work on it."

Following Master Eldon's words, Alder stood up and headed out of the room. He quickly came back, holding two vials of what looked like blood. He handed them to the Shooter and the Viscount, who accepted them.

"These are samples from two patients who have proven themselves resistant to the parasite," Master Nilla said, her gaze locking with Arabella's. "We are in the process of collecting a third sample."

Arabella's eyes then travelled to Master Eldon and Don Timothy, who both gave her curt nods of understanding. No words were needed for her to comprehend.

"Who are these people?" the Shark questioned as he received the vial from the Shooter. Master Nilla shook her head. "For their own protection, their identities must remain a secret, at least for now. It's not that we don't trust you, Captain, but until we find more people who can resist infection, these individuals may very well be our only hope."

"So what's the plan?" The Viscount asked, turning his attention back to Master Nilla. "Take these to the Guild of Physicians in Petrol?"

"If anyone can find a cure for this, it'd be them" Alder replied, flashing a dazzling smile.

The Shark roared in celebration. "Sounds simple enough. Best not to take any chances, though. Who will carry on the deed?"

"Eldon and I will," Don Timothy answered proudly. "We shall depart within the fortnight."

"I can arrange for a small committee of SteelCorps to accompany you. Should you encounter any problem, you shall at least be well protected."

"Thank you, Captain. Your help is much appreciated." Master Eldon said, although Arabella could not tell if he was being entirely honest.

"We shall plan our next move depending on what the Guild says. I am confident that a cure, or at least some sort of remedy will be able to be produced with these samples."

Master Nilla's voice was firm and convincing. Turning her eyes towards her guests, Arabella was pleased to see all three of them seemed to be content with the plan.

"As for the situation here in Makina," Arabella said as the vials were being returned to Alder, "we can at least breathe a collective sigh of relief. For the time being, anyway. Queen Estella seems to have warmed up to us. I am still reluctant to trust her completely, but at least she will not be on our way. As for the future Queen, Livilla will be a valuable ally to our cause."

"Are you certain we can rely on her?" Master Nilla questioned.

Shooter Viola answered before she could. "Positive. Livilla shall not fail us. In any case, I shall be returning to Leverfort at once. Now that I've seen what the Marquise is capable of, I'm sure she no longer needs my services. As such, I have volunteered to be Livilla's personal bodyguard and she has agreed. I'll make sure the toxic influence of her husband won't get the best of her."

"I too shall be returning to Leverfort," Arabella said, surprising both Master Nilla and Alder. She still had not communicated her plans to remain in the capital, but her mind was already set. "Livilla has proven herself a kind and loyal friend and I want to be there for her in these first few months of her reign. While there, I can pursue any remnants of the Indigo parasite. In case any infected individual remains within the walls of Ivoryport, I can quickly, and quietly, take care of it."

The Shark was quick to add: "I shall of course remain with you, Marquise. For support. Should you need any support, I mean. It can get cold up there in the high clouds. Best have a helping hand around, I always say."

Arabella cringed inside at the man's obvious attempt at chivalry. Both the Viscount and Don Timothy did their best to keep their composure. Master Eldon and Shooter Viola, however, made no such attempt.

"How gallant and selfless on your part, Captain," Eldon said, smirking and Arabella forced herself to change the subject.

"It is settled then. Until further developments arise, I believe this is the best course of action. Master Eldon, Don Timothy, I trust you shall keep us informed of what the Guild has to say?"

Master Eldon winked at her. "You know it."

"Any and every piece of information we get shall be promptly communicated," Don Timothy said. "We shall stay in Petrol for as long as it is necessary, but we can promise we will not return until we have a definitive answer on this matter."

Master Nilla stood up. "Excellent, then. Now, before you go, Alder has baked some truly delicious cinnamon rolls, please help yourselves. Arabella, a word?"

********

"So, is there anything going on between you and that Captain?"

Arabella laughed out loud. "Master, my God, how can you even think that?"

"Well, it was merely a question."

Master Nilla was now collecting the blood sample from Arabella's exposed arm. They were in the bedroom Master Nilla shared with Alder; they had sought refugee in there, looking for some peace and quiet.

"He is a nice man," Arabella smiled mischievously. "And he is quite smitten with me."

"And are you at all interested?" Master Nilla asked.

"Of course not. But it is nice to be admired, selfish as that may sound."

"It is not selfish to seek one's happiness."

The needle entered Arabella's skin but she barely felt it. "So they went back?" She asked and Master Nilla simply nodded. "Did they tell you what they saw?"

"They were both quite shook," her Master replied as she took out the needle and covered the small wound with an alcohol solution. "I am guessing they did not like whatever they discovered. They told us what was relevant for the mission, but they kept the more personal details to themselves, and I didn't want to pry."

"So it is indeed us," Arabella muttered as she saw the crystal vial that now guarded her own blood. "We are the cure?"

"Apparently. My guess is you three were given the cure before being sent here; I'm sure Gunners expected the future would hold technology such as the one they had back then. Master Eldon didn't deny this theory, so it must be somewhat close to the truth."

"Your letters imply you had formed a somewhat close relationship with them," Arabella said as she began clothing herself again. "Perhaps you could get the truth out of them."

"It's not my place, Ara. Besides, Alder might have a better shot at that. He has always been the kinder one. He has struck quite the close relationship to Don Timothy: it's rather cute, actually. As for Master Eldon, I'm afraid his walls only come down for his beloved Tim."

"So that sneaky Master Eldon is the reason for Don Timothy's failed engagement?" Arabella asked. Master Nilla nodded. "Any fool could see those two were going to wind up together sooner or later. It was only a matter of time."

"Yes. But in any case, if they want to tell us their story, they will. But it must be on their own terms. I cannot force any truth from their lips."

Arabella drew a dim smile. Alone with her Master and speaking from the heart, she considered this to be the best situation to apologize, so she did.

"I am sorry I did not tell you about my plans to remain in Leverfort."

Master Nilla laughed under her breath. "My dear, you're a woman now. And I respect that. You've proven yourself time and again. I have no reason to doubt your judgement."

Arabella bit her lip. She was suddenly hesitant. "I guess I was afraid that you would resent my choice. That you would be ashamed of my liking of the capital. You disdain everything that has to do with royalty. You consider it dated. Ridiculous. And so did I. But in these past few days, I have found myself...enjoying. I like the company of Shooter Viola and Lady Livilla. Princess Electa is also quite kind. And the Viscount is full of surprises. Even the Captain, bless his soul. Am I a stupid woman for having fallen for that which I once loathed? Am I disappointing you?"

Master Nilla's expression was now full of warmth and understanding. She approached and held Arabella's hand tightly, soft words coming out of her full lips.

"You have been so strong for so long, my girl, because you knew that's what was needed of you. Your story so far has been one of duty, commitment, sacrifice. But your task is nearly done. We're so close and it's because of you. You're building a new world, one in which you don't have to be so strong all the time. Your story can now be anything you want it to be. You're not less just because your guard is down And understand this: You can't disappoint me. How could you, when your actions always come from your heart?"

Arabella needed to hear that. She needed to know. She embraced her Master, her heart feeling full and filled with newfound lust for life.

She was prepared for this new adventure.

She was ready to live. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 1.1K 29
In order to defeat the man who murdered his entire family, Adrian, a vampire, kidnaps a demon to do his bidding - a decision he will soon regret. ...
322K 12.2K 24
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...
Blackstone By Trafton

Science Fiction

182K 9.8K 40
A Wattpad Featured Story and now available on Amazon for purchase at the following link: https://rb.gy/dksi2a The Saga Begins... Outcast. Loner. Fre...
268K 17.3K 46
The conclusion of The Runner series. ================================== Half a year has passed since the fall of Babel. In that time, tales of the Ru...