Ain't Nobody Like You

By MrsKatieMathers

It's 1998 and Katherine Arden, an internationally known singer, grows close to new up and coming rap artist... More

A/N
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven

Chapter Thirty-Eight

4.2K 131 20
By MrsKatieMathers

The next few months eventually pass and while some days seem to just drag on, others fly by. I categorize them as the days I'm away from Marshall and the days I'm with Marshall.

Halloween

After I left Boston, Marshall continued on his tour while I went to New York to work on my album. Halloween was the next time I saw him, but only for the night in Detroit. I no longer feel like I'm intruding on Marshall and the girl's family time, since they invited me to go trick or treating. I feel like part of the family, dressing up and walking the neighborhood for candy. 

I painted my face and wore all black, dressed as a cat. Lainey and Hailie had princess costumes. While Marshall wore his Jason mask and orange jumpsuit from his concerts. The plus was, since we were all in costumes, no one knew who we really were. It was wonderfully normal.

The girls consumed so much candy that they were up well past their bedtime. But once they did fall asleep Marshall and I watched a scary movie, though I hid my face in his arm the whole time while he laughed. He didn't argue when I stopped the movie, leading him to bed instead. I don't think we've ever finished one movie together.

But soon enough Marshall had to go. He had a concert the next day in a different city, and so I fly to New York and count the days till I see him again. 

Thanksgiving

The next time I saw Marshall, I was able to take a week off around Thanksgiving and flew to Marshall while he was in California for a stretch of shows around the state.

He wasn't in the best mood though. There was an uproar over his four Grammy nominations, especially from the gay community. They called him homophobic for his use of the 'F' word. There was outrage and protesting against him. I was even criticized too, with the release of the 'Stan' music video that month they questioned even my own nominations. No matter how many times Marshall denies any hatred and how the people who know him- including me- make public statements in his support, they wanted him banned.

I felt bad his nominations were over shadowed by all this. But it seems controversy and Eminem will always go hand in hand. 

Once Hailie, Lainey and I reunited with him though, his mood lifted. We went to the beach and sightseeing together.

And on Thanksgiving we went to Dre's house for dinner with everyone. Newly pregnant Nicole had it catered, and it was lovely. Especially getting to spend so much time together. I was thankful for that the most. 

Christmas

Before I knew it, it was almost Christmas. I was flying back and forth from New York to Detroit all month, even though Marshall wasn't home yet. I got the girls to help me decorate the house before his arrival. We got a Christmas tree, stockings, wreaths, and little knick-knacks that the girls loved. They help me bake cookies and buy presents for Marshall. And while Marshall was glad he's able to afford presents this year, he was stressed about buying all the girl's presents while on tour so I offered to shop and wrap for him too.

When Marshall finally arrived home a few days before Christmas, he loved what we did. Well he loved how happy it made Hailie, Lainey and I at least. 

Watching children eager and excited for Santa made the holidays magical for me again. We watched Christmas movies, made gingerbread houses and decorated the tree. I loved creating these special moments together that I'll remember forever. 

I even did the impossible. I made some progress with Kim. Sort of.

For Christmas, Marshall invited Kim over to watch the girls open presents from Santa and celebrate Hailie's birthday. It was very mature of him, doing what's best for the girls instead of what's easiest for him. I respect him for it.

However...it was very uncomfortable. Painfully so. I tried to keep out of the way and quiet, not wanting to step on any toes. But I couldn't ignore the girls when they excitedly showed me their presents or when I opened my own from them- a framed photo of the girls and I from Hailie, a handmade painting from Lainey and a beautiful bracelet from Marshall. I was wanted there by every but Kim. 

I received silent treatment mostly. But there were so many glares and a few snide remarks under her breath from her that I decided to take her aside and speak with her before she left. 

You catch more flies with honey, right?

"Kim, wait. Do you have a second to talk?" I ask, chasing after her before she walks out the door.

"What about?" she questions, looking at me harshly.

I look over my shoulder to make sure Marshall is still distracted setting up some toys with the girls before I speak.

"I feel like we got off to a wrong start." I tell her. That's an understatement. She did accuse me of sleeping with Marshall while they were married. And now I'm with Marshall, while they are getting a divorce. I can see how this must all look and I more than understand her issue with me. "Can we start over?"

She crosses her arms, "Why?"

"I want us to be able to be in the same room without hostility or awkwardness. Not for me, but for them." I point behind me, "I love Hailie and Lainey. I mean, it's hard not to. You've raised two wonderful little girls. And since Marshall and I are together-"

She scoffs, but I choose to ignore it and continue.

"I'm not going anywhere." At least, I don't plan to. "And we're going to see a lot of each other. So...please, let's figure this out."

She looks at me silently, considering. Finally she rolls her eyes.

"Fine. For the girls." she makes sure to emphasize, "But don't think we're friends or anything now."

"Wouldn't dream of it." I smile. I'll take what I can get. It's a Christmas miracle. 

That night, as I get ready for bed, I receive my last gift.

"I think I left my camera at my place. It would have been great to have it today, the girls looked so cute." I comment, getting under the covers next to Marshall, "I'm always leaving things. And I've completely lost my favorite sweater. The blue one. You haven't seen it right?

He take a moment before answering, finally saying, "Nah, I haven't."

I look at him to see if he's sleepy or bored by me or something. He's staring up at the ceiling in thought, acting so strange.

"You okay?" I ask.

He keeps his eyes on the ceiling as he says, "You know you wouldn't always be loosin' shit and leavin' things behind if your stuff was just here...you know, like permanently."

It takes me a moment to realize what he said, silently staring at his profile. 

"Just my stuff?" I whisper.

He moves his gaze to me, a small smile on his face, "Well, you too I guess."

"Are you asking me to move in with you?" I need to be sure.

"Yeah, I am." He turns on his side to face me, "What do you say?"

Before I can blurt out my answer, I check one thing first, "What about the girls? Would they be okay with this?"

I couldn't move in without their approval. When I was a kid there was a new guy in and out of my home every few months because of my Mother. Some I couldn't wait for them to leave. And others, I was sad to see go. But every one, I was never asked if it alright if they moved in. My feelings and opinion invalid. I don't want Hailie and Lainey to feel that way.

But Marshall's words comfort me.

"They're the ones constantly on my back askin' me if you can just live with us already. They don't like you not being here all the time, any more than I do." 

My heart feels so full as I smile at him. My answer yes, obviously.

New Years

I kiss Marshall as the ball drops on New Years 2001, Hailie and Lainey fast asleep on the couch beside us. This time last year, as I cried my way into the new year, I never would have imagined this. In our home together, completely in love. 

I just hope this new year ends the same way. 

Valentines Day

Back from the European leg of the Anger Management tour, we're in Detroit. I went for the nine days with Marshall, a part of the tour again. But also as a mini vacation. During the day while he had interviews or worked in the studio, I'd go sightseeing or shopping- early in the morning, before the crowds. Once in a while, when he had the time, Marshall would join me. Every night it was a different venue and I'd join him onstage to sing 'Stan'- a treat for the international fans. It was a great time.

We were glad when the tour officially ended and we got to go home though. To our home.

In the past month, I've moved all my things from New York to Detroit. Marshall had asked me to decorate to my liking, put my touch on things and make it my home too. So between moving and making new arrangements for studio time, I decorate the house. I incorporate what I know Marshall will like and involve Hailie and Alaina- it is their home too. We paint the walls, buy plants and new decor, move furniture, and hang a few picture frames with photos that include memories with me and them. By the time of the European tour, I was settled into my new home with Marshall and the girls.

A few days after tour, it was Valentines Day. And it wasn't what I imagined it would be at all. The actual holiday isn't of much importance to me. But I enjoy any excuse to celebrate Marshall and I's relationship. However we didn't get the chance to. The reason being, Marshall went to court. 

So instead of romancing each other, Marshall puts on a suit and went in front of a judge to plead guilty for what happened in June. By doing this, he'll get a plea bargain. Two years' of probation instead of serving time in jail.

This is just one of many of appearances in court he will have to make, his other charges hanging over his head.

He doesn't talk to me much about it, honestly because I think he's scared of going to jail. It's the one thing I've ever really seen him afraid of. Understandably. 

So I stick by his side. Tell him I love him and that everything will be fine.

<><><><><><><><><>

A/N

So, obviously this was all over the place, but I wanted to do a bit of a time jump.

Hope you enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.5K 912 31
Amari Jenkins is deaf, but that doesn't stop her from living her life and doing things normal "able-bodied" people do. Sometimes she even enjoyes goi...
135K 2.9K 35
The sequel to: The Slim Shady Era. Part ll of a trilogy.
16.3K 726 43
Fascination of a woman with a mysterious smile. ***************** Liz is a hustler who uses her looks and charm to go in on the wealthiest men in the...
136K 4.2K 89
Melody goes to a rap concert with her friends. She meets one of the performers, an up-and-coming rapper that goes by the name Eminem. So this is bas...