Ikemen Sengoku: Nobunaga Oda

jjvngoo

Romances Across Time [Disclaimer] Not my work Transcriptions from CYBIRD: Ikemen Sengoku All Right and charac... Еще

Nobunaga | Shot Thru The Heart
Nobunaga | Hot Spring Vacation
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2 + His POV
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 + His POV The Spark Of Love • Premium Bonus • Her Soft Toes
Chapter 5 + His POV
Chapter 6
Chapter 7 + His POV
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Dramatic Route Chapter 11
Dramatic Route Chapter 12
Dramatic Route Chapter 13
Dramatic Route Epilogue
Romantic Route Chapter 13
Romantic Route Epilogue

Romantic Route Chapter 11&12

282 5 0
jjvngoo

Nobunaga: "Little things like this make you smile? I'm glad to have found that out. I'll remember that."

Mai: "That's a good boyfriend." Danger awaited everyone in tomorrow's battle. But tonight, fingers laced together, we just shared in this happy moment.

------------
Our rest was short. The battle started the next day at dawn--

Ieyasu: "Mai! I need you over here!"

Mai: "Be there in a sec!" I took the salve and ran to our newest injured arrival. "I know it hurts, but you're going to be all right. We'll get you fixed up."

Hurt Soldier: "T-thank you."

Mai: "You don't need to thank me. Save that strength okay? The wound looks worse than it is." I stopped the bleeding and bandaged him up, sending him to the back where he could rest. There are way more men coming in, compared to yesterday. The fighting is getting fierce. Is Nobunaga holding up? I wished I didn't have to wait until the evening to see him. Ieyasu came over to me.

Ieyasu: "Good work. You should take a break."

Mai: "I don't need a break right now. What's in the latest reports? How is the war going?"

Ieyasu: "It's turned into an all-out battle. Everyone who can still fight is out there." That's why there's been a massive increase in the number of wounded. "The enemy isn't holding anything back. They're sending everything they've got. But one way or another, today's battle will be the deciding factor."

Mai: "I see." Right now, the best thing I can do is focus on tending the injured. Please, everyone, come back safe. I returned to my work with that prayer in my heart.

------------
Meanwhile, outside headquarters--

Masamune: "So, Yukimura, it was you commanding this troop. That explains why they were giving me a hard time."

Yukimura: "...Masamune Date. Just my luck to run into you." West of the front lines, two rival generals and their men were posturing, readying to fight.

Masamune: "You don't sound happy to see me. Can't say the same. I've been itching to fight you."

Yukimura: "Then I guess I'll skip the step where I ask if you want to back off." Yukimura lifted his forked spear toward the heavens. At the same time, Masamune drew his sword.

Masamune: "I hope you're ready for this Yukimura!"

Yukimura: "That's my line, Masamune! Here I go!"

------------
Mitsuhide: "Look, Hideyoshi! The tiger is coming out into the open."

Hideyoshi: "I have eyes, Mitsuhide. With the whole Akazonae behind him, he's impossible to miss." On the southern end of the field, Mitsuhide and Hideyoshi exchanged ill-humored looks. A troop of soldiers, clad in red, raced across the plains to engage with them.

Mitsuhide: "Let's see if all that sleep has dulled the tiger's fangs."

Hideyoshi: "Dull or sharp, it won't matter once I rip them out of his mouth. I won't forgive anyone who goes against Lord Nobunaga."

------------
Shingen: "That's the kitsune who tried to fool Kenshin, and Nobunaga's pet monkey." Shingen's forces had Mitsuhide's and Hideyoshi's surrounded. He grinned confidently. "They're young, but they're skilled. It's a shame then-- I'll have to cut them down in their prime. Let's go!"

Akazonae: "Yes, my lord!"

------------
Ieyasu: "Mitsunari, a report. Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide have encountered Shingen's forces in the south."

Mitsunari: "Why thank you, Lord Ieyasu. I'll have this sent to Lord Nobunaga." Mitsunari, his troops stationed at the rear of the battle, was handling logistics and operations for the whole army. While he was talking with Ieyasu, one of his men came running up.

Subordinate: "Lord Mitsunari, we've extended the supply train to the front line."

Mitsunari: "Thank you. Let them know to strengthen the guard, just in case."

Ieyasu: "Why? Did something happen?"

Mitsunari: "Since yesterday, the enemy has been making concentrated attacks on vital points in our supply train. they've got someone with a very sharp eye."

Ieyasu: "It's pretty clear you're thinking that whoever it is, you're better."

Mitsunari: "Correct, Lord Ieyasu. There's no place for modesty on the battlefield." Ieyasu grimaced at Mitsunari's sheepish smile.

Ieyasu: "It really annoys me when you do that."

Mitsunari: "Oh? I'm sorry. However-- I assure you I won't be defeated in a game of wits."

------------
Sasuke: "What's this?" From the shadows, Sasuke was observing the newly constructed supply line of the Oda forces. Under Mitsunari's orders, the soldiers were watching carefully for any attack. "They're taking a defensive formation. We may be stuck in a holding pattern."

Subordinate: "A holding pattern, Sasuke? What is that?"

Sasuke: "Ah, never mind. I was thinking though-- Our enemy has someone very clever on their side. This will be challenging."

Subordinate: "Do they have us at a disadvantage?"

Sasuke: "Not yet. Let's see what we can do. I don't have any qualms with the Oda forces, but a job is a job."

------------
Kenshin: "Has Nobunaga shown up?"

Subordinate: "He's leading his men at the front. We have information he's moving this way."

Kenshin: "I know. But what's taking him so long? I knew the Great Fool of Owari would lead the vanguard, that's why I waited here at the castle for him--"

Subordinate: "My lord, isn't it bad for him to advance this far?"

Kenshin: "You think I don't know the stakes? But it's no fun if he doesn't come close. Don't keep me waiting, Nobunaga."

------------
Nobunaga: "Advance! Keep up with me!"

Vassals: "My lord!" Drawing his sword, Nobunaga gradually pushed back against the enemy front lines. Men fell with each flashing sweep of his gleaming blade.

Enemy Soldier 1: "He's a monster! Just like the rumors say!"

Enemy Soldier 2: "It's the Devil King! Don't let your guard down!" Nobunaga looked down at his disordered enemies with a smile.

Nobunaga: "You believe in monsters and devils, but I am neither. If you need to know who I am, remember this. I am the Lord of Azuchi Castle, Nobunaga Oda. The man who will unite this nation."

------------
It's night already. It came before I knew it. Having handled the wounded for now, I stepped outside of headquarters for a small break. I'd worked from sunrise to sunset, and I was exhausted on my feet.

It's quiet. The battle must be over, but it looks like no one's back yet. Is Nobunaga okay? Surely there would be some news if anything happened to him. I stood, too tired to stand but far too nervous to sit. Ieyasu ducked out of headquarters. He was looking for me.

Ieyasu: "Mai! We got a report on Nobunaga!" Finally! What does it say?

Ieyasu: "He's battled through to reach the garrison castle."

Mai: "That's good news!" I didn't want to admit how worried I was getting. "How are Masamune, Hideyoshi, and the others?"

Ieyasu: "They're all fine. Together they've got the castle surrounded. Of course, all the enemy commanders are unharmed too."

Mai: "I see. But I'm glad Nobunaga and the others are doing well." I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding in.

Ieyasu: "Nobunaga's group pressed through the vanguard and challenged the enemy at the front lines. So the enemy withdrew to the castle and are now preparing for a siege."

Mai: "A siege, huh?"

Ieyasu: "You don't know anything, do you? They're going to fight us from inside the castle for as long as their provisions hold out." I gave Ieyasu a steely look.

Mai: "I knew what a siege was! I'll admit, you've helped me a couple of times, but lighten up on me." I've watched movies and historical dramas. But I never expected I'd need knowledge of Sengoku-era military tactics.

Ieyasu: "...You know, it's not like I mind telling you the stuff you don't know."

Mai: "And I appreciate it. But let me ask for it. How's that sound?" As I said the word 'appreciate', Ieyasu turned his gaze away.

Ieyasu: "I just thought it was easier to tell you all at once than to answer countless questions. But all right. Just don't start calling me nice or anything."

Mai: "How about I just say you're economical?" He's got the most infuriating way of being "helpful," but I think it stems from a real desire to be kind.

Ieyasu: "Anyway, you distracted me. I had one more thing to report." Ieyasu let out a sigh and straightened up. "The Oda forces are making camp around the castle. They'll be storming it tomorrow at dawn. That'll be the decisive battle."

Mai: "I understand." I felt a twinge in the pit of my stomach. Still, one more battle to go. "Then Nobunaga and the others won't be returning here tonight?"

Ieyasu: "No. They're probably making preparations to keep watch all night right now. I'm heading to the front with a resupply of weapons. You're in charge here while I'm gone."

Mai: "Got it. Be careful out there."

Ieyasu: "...I don't need you to tell me that. Get some sleep tonight." Ieyasu turned and left, walking briskly. Honestly, it sounds like no one will be getting any sleep tonight. I trudged back to headquarters, concern tugging at my chest.

This morning, everything had been so perfect-- The sun had barely risen when Nobunaga made his preparations to depart.
Nobunaga: "I'm off."

Mai: "All right." I was there to see Nobunaga off. I gave him an encouraging smile. Sitting upon his horse, at the head of his forces, he was a portrait of flawless confidence. You'd never know he confessed to being tired last night! "Be safe."

Nobunaga: "I will. You don't need to worry about me." Of course I'm going to worry! With a look of impatience, I yanked his sleeve. "What is it?" He leaned across his horse to where I could reach him. Standing on my toes, I whispered into his ear.

Mai: "No putting up a brave front for me. Tell me, if only me, what you're feeling."

Nobunaga: "You're the only one I could tell. No one else asks. But this isn't an act. I just don't like seeing you worry." Nobunaga--

Mai: "I'm happy you feel that way. I was very happy last night, too. I like it when you're honest with me, so don't hold back." His expression warmed before my eyes.

Nobunaga: "All right. Then I'll show you my honest feelings right now." With a smile, Nobunaga cupped my cheeks. I always forget what the touch of his hands does to me! Leaning down, he placed a quick kiss on my nose, just a touch of heat.

Vassal 1: "Would you just look at how our confident our lord is, cavorting with his lady before battle!" Hearing the whispers of the soldiers around us, I smiled and shook my head.

Mai: "They think this is cavorting? It was just a kiss on the nose!"

Nobunaga: "Then for the sake of the men, this is a good opportunity to show them how a boyfriend acts. I'll kiss you the way a boyfriend should."

Mai: "For the men? Nobunaga, kissing isn't a demonstration!" A stadium's worth of men were looking at us anxiously.

Vassal 1: "Oh, Lady Chatelaine, don't worry about us! We won't be looking!"

Mai: "No, I mean, that's not--"

Vassal 2: "Here, we'll all turn around-- Come on, everyone." The entire army modestly turned their heads.

Nobunaga: "That's good of you, men. How about now, Mai?" 15,000 men just turned around so I could kiss my boyfriend. How can I say no to that? I bit my lip, amazed at what a simple kiss had turned into. Still, I couldn't stop myself from smiling. I stood on my tip-toes, ready to kiss Nobunaga, but though the troops had turned around, they were still whispering.

Vassal 1: "I can't believe what I'm seeing. Lord Nobunaga is being so affectionate!"

Vassal 2: "And did you see? That gentle look in his eyes."

Vassal 3: "That makes me feel good inside."

Vassal 4: "Me too." Geeze, being the girlfriend of a warlord puts you in some crazy situations. But hearing everyone be pleased about it does make me feel pretty good.

Nobunaga: "Come, Mai. The battle will wait no longer."

Mai: "Yes. Let's do this." As he leaned down, I stretched up to meet him halfway-- We kissed, sending a warm thrill all the way down to my toes.

Nobunaga: "Well done." I was entranced by the attractive, innocent smile on his face. I really am in love with him. When he smiles, I feel like I can do anything for him. Returning his smile, I caressed his cheek.

Mai: "I'll be waiting for you."

Nobunaga: "And I'll return to you, alive and well."

Nobunaga is probably preparing for the castle assault right now. He probably won't even have time to rest, let alone sleep.
Nobunaga: "I'm exhausted. But all I need is to feel your warmth against me."

I was amazed when he told me he was tired last night. But thinking about it, there's no way you could fight so long and not be exhausted. It wasn't just about the war with Kenshin. Nobunaga's been fighting since he was a child. I know he won't stop until he's achieved his ambition. But I want him to find time to put his sword down and rest.

I resolved to spend some quality time with him tomorrow, no matter what. But just then, I heard a voice.

???: "Mai? I hope this is a good time." What?! Someone grabbed my arm and drew me into the shadows of one of the tents.

Mai: "Who the hell--!?"

Sasuke: "Shh. I'd be really happy if we could have this conversation quietly." Sasuke?! I knew better than to say any more aloud. Quietly, I followed him outside the camp. "Good evening. It's been some time. I'm sorry my visit was so sudden." Your visits are always sudden. Why change now?

Mai: "Sasuke, we're in the middle of a war! With your side! Why did you come over here?"

Sasuke: "Don't worry, I wasn't seen." Sasuke pulled down his mask, revealing his usually calm expression. "Besides I had something urgent to talk to you about."

Mai: "Is it about the wormhole?"

Sasuke: "Yes. We have only a week before it opens up again at Honno-ji." A week. I hadn't been paying attention to the time with the war going on. "I'm sorry I couldn't talk to you about this sooner. Work's been, well, I'm sure you can imagine."

Mai: "Yeah. Things have been pretty busy here too. I hope the siege has been treating you okay?"

Sasuke: "I'm fine, as you can see. Now, about going to Kyoto--" I need to tell Sasuke about my decision.

Mai: "Sasuke. I've decided to stay in the past. I'm not going back."

Sasuke: "You have?"

Mai: "Remember your warning three months ago? About not getting too attached?"

Sasuke: "I remember."

Sasuke: "One more thing. Don't get deeply involved with the people of this time."

Mai: "Deeply involved? Sasuke, I'm going to be in close contact with them for three months."

Sasuke: "That is to say, don't fall in love. It might cloud your desire to return to the future."

Mai: "Haha, love? There's no worry of that happening. Have you talked to any of these people?"

I was pretty vehement about it then. I would never have guessed I'd be feeling so differently now.

Mai
: "I've found someone; someone I don't want to leave."

Sasuke: "You've fallen in love? Is it someone I know?"

Mai: "Yeah, you know him. You and all of Japan." Sasuke showed me a rare shocked expression.

Sasuke: "It's not Nobunaga Oda, is it?"

Mai: "Yep! I know that to you, he's the enemy commander. He's also officially my boyfriend! It's a cute story!"

Sasuke: "Your... boyfriend?"

Mai: "Yeah. It may be selfish of me, but I've decided not to go back. I'm sorry."

Sasuke: "Boyfriend--" Looks like he's gone offline. I nudged his shoulder.

Mai: "Earth to Sasuke?"

Sasuke: "I'm sorry. It seems I just experienced a BSOD there." If I'd just heard that from me I would have reacted the same way. I mean, it's Nobunaga Oda! And yet, it wasn't. Not the one I'd learned about in history class. This Nobunaga Oda, for all his flaws, was so incredibly dear to me. "I didn't mean to lose it there. What I was going to say is that you don't need to apologize. I'm in a similar situation."

Mai: "Sasuke, you've found someone too?"

Sasuke: "Not quite. While working under Kenshin and the others, I've found myself unable to part ways with them. I can't abandon them here, even if it means never returning to the present." So, what he's saying is--

Mai: "You're choosing to stay too?"

Sasuke: "Yes. I don't like leaving jobs unfinished. And I think I can still continue my research here. When I mentioned going to Kyoto, it was only so I could see you off safely." He was going to do that just for me?

Mai: "I know it's selfish, but I'm honestly glad to hear you're staying. It means a lot to know I'll always have a modern-day friend with me."

Sasuke: "Of course you will. Even if we're on opposing sides, I'll take the time to see you."

Mai: "Okay. But be careful when you do!"

Sasuke: "Don't worry. I'm a ninja." Was it the ninja training that gave him that endless confidence?

Mai: "You know, Sasuke, our side was praising you a little bit ago."

Sasuke: "How so?"

Mai: "Ieyasu Tokugawa himself called you 'an excellent ninja.'"

Sasuke: "I see. There's no higher praise a ninja can receive than that of his enemies."

Mai: "You're the best ninja I know, Sasuke. You never stop impressing me."

Sasuke: "You're just as accomplished, princess chatelaine of the Oda forces." The two of us smiled at each other. "Now, I have to return to the castle."

Mai: "All right. Promise me you'll stay safe, okay?"

Sasuke: "You're still worried about me, even though we ended up on different sides."

Mai: "Well, of course! I don't want anyone to lose their lives in this war, enemy or ally. You have to survive too, Sasuke."

Sasuke: "Thank you for your concern. I'll see you again." Sasuke disappeared into the darkness.

It's contradictory to wish for Nobunaga to win and for everyone to survive. I know this. Yet, I couldn't help wishing no one had to die, and could instead survive to see a united nation without war. Nobunaga's burden is large enough. If there were only a way for him to win without taking any more lives. I returned to camp, offering my silent prayer to the night sky.

------------
The next morning, I woke at dawn to the sound of cheers outside my tent. It sounds like happy news! But it's too early for the fighting to be over. I ran outside to see what was going on.

Hurt Soldier 1: "Did you hear? We breached the castle gates!"

Hurt Soldier 2: "So much for a siege! We'll have them surrendering before the day is out!" Nobunaga and the others did it! I stopped before the two injured soldiers who were sharing the news.

Mai: "Sorry, I just got up. Can you tell me everything?"

Hurt Soldier 1: "Lady Chatelaine! Of course! We received word that they're giving up the castle and are starting to withdraw."

Hurt Soldier 2: "Unfortunately, we took some pretty bad losses this battle. We won't be able to pursue them, so we've prioritized taking the castle."

Mai: "Thank you for informing me." And thank you, lucky stars! This is as close to the outcome I was hoping for as I think I can get! I turned to go, light on my feet. Nobunaga and the others will be coming back tonight. Soon, we'll be on our way home to Azuchi! But on the way back to my tent, I stopped, catching part of a worrisome conversation.

Soldier 1: "I can't help but think that Kenshin gave up a little too easily. I heard he lives for war." Even Mitsunari mentioned Kenshin's battle-lust. That doesn't sound like the kind of man who would quietly withdraw. Unless--

Soldier 2: "What the hell?! Who's that!"

I turned around at the sound of frightened cries coming from the entrance of the camp. A white horse? A man, dressed in pale colors and crisp black, flying under a blue standard, rode daringly into camp. Our troops were few, most of them injured, and they scattered before the reckless charge of him and his fellow horsemen.

Kenshin: "There you are. You're Nobunaga's woman, right?" I recognized him from our brief meeting, months ago. But the venom that dripped from every word he spoke was new. "I am Kenshin Uesugi. I'm sure you've heard of me." Kenshin looked at me with a sickening smile that froze me in my tracks. How did he even get here?! No, that's not important right now! He's here for me! I need to run!

But Kenshin was quicker. He grabbed me and flung me over his horse. I was dropped roughly over the saddle and lost my air at the sudden impact. Still, I cried for help.

Kenshin: "Quiet. If you aren't, I may just kill you. Then you won't be a very good bait to lure out Nobunaga." That's what he's planning on?!

------------
Mai: "Put me down! Let go of me!"

Kenshin: "Stop screaming. I'm tired of repeating myself." Oof! Kenshin dropped me. We were in a small weathered hut, and my legs and arms were bound.

Mai: "That hurt! What's your problem?!"

Kenshin: "For the last time. Stop shouting."

Mai: "I--!" Kenshin drew his sword and pointed the razor-sharp tip at my throat. He needs to get that away from me, or I may just rethink my "no murder" policy.

An hour or so ago, with a band of men, Kenshin had broken through the siege and assaulted the Oda base camp-- For the sole purpose of kidnapping me.
Kenshin: "There you are. You're Nobunaga's woman, right?" I'd recognized him at once, although it didn't seem like he remembered me. "I am Kenshin Uesugi. I'm sure you've heard of me."

I'd tried to run, but he grabbed me first, throwing me over his saddle. I screamed for help, but his men had the few and wounded soldiers left at camp at their mercy.

Kenshin: "Quiet. If you aren't, I may just kill you. Then you won't be a very good bait to lure out Nobunaga."

He knew who I was and where to find me. Well, I was warned that being with Nobunaga would make me a target. But what's Kenshin doing here and not with his men? Has he abandoned the battle? Pushing with my bound legs, I got to the back wall to give myself some distance, glaring at Kenshin all the while.

Kenshin: "You're finally quiet. Good." With a satisfied smile, Kenshin sheathed his sword and crouched down so we were eye to eye. Trapped in a tiny space with this cold-blooded man, it was a struggle not to panic. Yet--

There was something oddly captivating about Kenshin. He drew my eye in a way that was hard to ignore. I've never seen anyone like him before. But this was no time to be distracted! I need to figure out how I'm going to get out of this! Kenshin had men stationed outside the hut, guarding the only exit. I probably can't outrun them. I'll need to pay attention, be ready to think on my feet.

Mai: "Excuse me, can I ask you something?"

Kenshin: "I thought you were going to be quiet. But you're that hungry for my blade?"

Mai: "No thanks. I had a good breakfast." I wasn't going to let him intimidate me. "I won't yell or scream. I just want to talk."

Kenshin: "I see. You're bold. That's the attitude that ensnared the once-great Nobunaga?" Kenshin looked at me with a sharp, curious eye.

Mai: "You called me Nobunaga's woman, which I have a problem with, but that's beside the point. How did you know?"

Kenshin: "My vassals mentioned you. They said they had him surrounded when a woman of your description jumped in alone to save him."

Well, I can't exactly deny that. It was the fight we got into after the battle with Kennyo, the one we appeared to be losing.
Nobunaga: "I've never regretted anything. And that will continue. But I can't say the same for you. Because all of you will die here."

Enemy Soldier: "Bastard!"

Mai: "Nobunaga! Archers!"

Nobunaga: "Mai?!"

Enemy Soldier: "Woman. Who are you?!"

Kenshin: "Curious to know the truth, I captured some of Nobunaga's men and forced the information out of them. They said he has a cherished lover by the name of Mai." So that's how he knew. "They said you were here with him, treating the injured troops behind the front lines. I expected Nobunaga would be distracted trying to take that castle-- But I never imagined how easily he'd let me catch you."

Mai: "You said you want to lure out Nobunaga. Lure him out for what?"

Kenshin: "You must know the current situation. It's a matter of time until Nobunaga seizes my garrison castle. I was negligent, getting pushed back despite the superiority of my forces. But there are other ways to win a war. Such as the enemy commander losing his head. Literally."

Mai: "What?"

Kenshin: "Wasn't that clear? You're going to bring Nobunaga to me, and I'm going to kill him. I've already sent him a message. 'If you value Mai, come face me, alone.'" That coward is using me to make Nobunaga fight him! He thinks by doing so he can still turn this war around. I felt sick to my stomach. "But I'm sad to see what depths the Devil King of the Sixth Heaven has fallen to."

Mai: "Excuse me?"

Kenshin: "Until now, I was looking forward to fighting Nobunaga. But this spineless assault of his has me bored to tears."

Mai: "Spineless?"

Kenshin: "There are many ways to bring down a castle. Smoke them out with fire. Flood them. Nobunaga's used them all. But he's never asked for a bloodless surrender before." Nobunaga asked that they give up the castle without a fight? Offering to let everyone go in exchange?

Mai: "He really asked you for that?"

Kenshin: "Sadly, yes. 'Withdraw,' he said, 'and I won't harm a single one of your men.' I've never been so disappointed."

Nobunaga's started to change. He was looking for a different way to solve his problems. It didn't help my current situation any, but it made me happy to hear. It's possible he was thinking only about cutting down on the losses on his side. After all, there had been a constant influx of injured the past two days.

But no, Nobunaga's always thought about the wellbeing of his men. This is different. He's showing concern for his enemies' lives. He wants to avoid pointless loss on both sides. Nobunaga had told me before he didn't care how many lives it took to accomplish his ambition. He's really changing.

Kenshin: "Caring for a woman has turned him into a coward who shows pity to his enemies." There is a LOT wrong with that statement! I held my response, hoping to keep Kenshin talking. He continued shortly, but the chill in his voice reached absolute zero. "I hate you, Mai. You stole my challenge from me. I'll have to remind Nobunaga that mercy has no place on the battlefield." Cool it, frost king. Or, you know, warm it up.

Mai: "Maybe someone should remind you! There was nothing wrong with what Nobunaga asked for!"

Kenshin: "What?" As for the rest of your argument--

Mai: "Nobunaga's always been kind! It hasn't affected his strength at all!" He's just now able to get in touch with his lost gentleness. I'm not going to let anyone take that away from him again! And I won't let anyone tell Nobunaga that his mercy is wrong!

Kenshin: "You realize you're a hostage because of him, right? Why are you defending him?"

Mai: "It's natural to protect the one you love! And he's doing the right thing, trying to bring the bloodshed and wars to a halt!" I was trying to keep from shouting, but whatever! I half expected another threat from Kenshin, but he didn't move. He just glared at me, irritated. Yeah, well, I'm not too crazy about you either!

Kenshin: "How does Nobunaga put up with you? Love?" Kenshin's gaze lowered for a second, his eyes darting away. "Love is a sickness. Blinding you. Eating at you until there's nothing left." Someone's got issues! But there was little I could do to take advantage of his sudden reverie. He snapped out of his thoughts. "I've said too much. And you have too."

That really got to him! I just wish it had gotten ME out of here. Kenshin rose and turned his back to me. Guess the conversation's over. Fine. I wasn't enjoying it either. And he was still luring Nobunaga into a trap. Ugh, this sucks. I never wanted to be used as a hostage against Nobunaga.

I knew Nobunaga would come to get me. But that only made me afraid for him. Because he'll be fighting, exhausted, worried about me. I don't want that. Yet getting upset at myself for getting kidnapped, not running faster, or not struggling harder wasn't going to help anything.

I twisted my wrists in the rope until they burned, desperate to free them, but the rope was too tight. Nobunaga, I'm so sorry. Still, I didn't stop. I kept at it, until--

Kenshin's Men: "Lord Kenshin! It's Nobunaga!"

Kenshin: "He's finally here." No! Kenshin turned to me with a smile. He picked me up and slung me over one shoulder.

Mai: "Put me down!"

Kenshin: "Don't forget you're a hostage. And that your life is in my hands." I tried to roll off him, to beat him, but nothing worked. He carried me outside the hut.

There he is-- Nobunaga stood alone in the plain, the sun setting behind him.

Mai: "Nobunaga!"

Nobunaga: "Mai. I'm sorry I kept you waiting."

Mai: "I knew you'd come for me." I didn't want to have to put you through this. But-- I still felt a rush of relief when I saw his smile.

Kenshin: "You really came alone. This woman's that valuable to you?" Kenshin sighed derisively. He nodded to his vassals. "Surround him. Make sure he doesn't have a chance to escape. But don't interfere in our battle. He's mine."

Vassals: "Yes, Lord Kenshin." Kenshin's vassals took up spears and created a wide ring around him and Nobunaga. With me still over his shoulder, Kenshin turned to face Nobunaga, keeping some distance between them. Nobunaga's not going to have much room to dodge, closed in like this!

Mai: "You can't fight alone! Just run! Come back with help! I'll be fine!"

Nobunaga: "No. I know what I'm doing, Mai." When Kenshin's got all the advantages?! "Kenshin, before we start. Let her go. Nobody touches Mai unless she wills it."

Kenshin: "I never thought I'd live to see the day. She's made you so weak, I'm not sure how you're still standing."

Nobunaga: "I won't fall."

Kenshin: "What?" Nobunaga?

Nobunaga: "As long as Mai is with me, I refuse to die." Drawing his sword, Nobunaga's fierce eyes focused on Kenshin. In those eyes, an inferno raged. "Now, come. Face me. I'll make you regret laying a hand on Mai."

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

The Reluctant Marchioness Laura

Исторические романы

1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...