SPRITES: Legacy of the Black...

נכתב על ידי doxthefox1

Sprites: Legacy of the Black Phoenix, a young adult contemporary fantasy novel, follows the journey of Vidaj... עוד

Prologue: Dreams of the Black Phoenix
Chapter 1: The Presence
Chapter 2: The Large Man in the Trench Coat
Chapter 3: Brawlers' Ball
Chapter 4 : Post Game Cleanup
Chapter 5 : Lana's Illumination Game
Chapter 6 : A Mother's Humble Touch
Chapter 7 : Deep Dive
Chapter 8 : Reflections
Chapter 9 : A Sense of Corruption
Chapter 11 : Sprites
Chapter 12 : Space Craze
Chapter 13 : Shadow Dash

Chapter 10 : The Protector

1 0 0
נכתב על ידי doxthefox1

Back at the bus a pin could have been heard dropping. The group had never experienced such a dangerous situation before. There were tons of fights between the children growing up, but none of them were ever life threatening. The shaking feeling and adrenaline running through Vidaj was still suffocating him. Looking around he saw Mrs. Carter attempting to console her students.

"Everyone, please stay calm. I'm not sure what happened back there, but we're all safe. Now, if I can just get a quick head count, we can head back to school." Everyone was quiet as she counted. "And that's twenty-seven!" she finally said. "We're good to go."

Ian whispered to Lana, "Your plan was to run away?"

She shoved his face to the side. "No, you idiot. Look over there." Ian scanned the emergency exit at the back of the bus. "It's simple. Now that Mrs. Carter did her head count, she'll just stay in the front and ignore us. You know her—when she gets nervous, she always keeps to herself. Anyway, I'll create a distraction at the front of the bus and then we'll sneak out."

"No one's going to notice that we all cut out?" Ian asked her.

"I'll create an illusion of us. It'll hold for the entire bus ride. With all this chaos, we should be safe. I'll mute out the sound from the alarm system too so no one can hear us. Let's hurry before that thing hurts someone."

Lana created an illusion of a large fallen tree in the front of the bus. An ear-piercing scream escaped from one of the children. Just as planned, the gang escaped through the emergency exit.

Vidaj closed the emergency exit just as the bus pulled away and turned onto a side road. The group of Vidaj, Lana, Felix, Briggs, Ian, Mallory, Blake, Lance, and Jane all ran back to the courtyard, where the cloaked man was still standing.

Now up close with the being Vidaj studied his black cloak, which was so large that it covered his entire body. There were strange markings on it written in some golden ancient language. The being turned his face revealing a green leaf-covered mask.

"You have no idea how long I've been searching for all of you." He said it in such a deep, menacing voice that everyone sneered at him with looks of repugnance.

The group cautiously surrounded the man before Ian mockingly greeted him. "Are you the one who caused all of this?" pointing to the fallen tree branches and destroyed tables.

He hissed in such a way that it sent chills down Vidaj's spine. Vidaj shook off his fears and shouted out "I don't know who you are or what you want with us, but you're outnumbered nine-to-one!"

Unintimidated by Vidaj's threat the masked man removed his cloak to reveal a body covered in thick, dark brown tree bark. His arms were made up of branches, with long vines for fingers. His legs made of some tentacle-like roots. Everyone stared in open mouthed shock as he quickly extended his thin, branch-like arms. A long green vine drove through Vidaj's body. Slowly retracting the vines, he taunted Vidaj. "It's funny you actually think you have an advantage in this setting." Looking down at where the vine had pierced him, Vidaj's eyes popped out as he knew he had just escaped death.

Vidaj was unable to move, but the rest of the boys were already charged at the being. Just as the boys were within an arm's length of the strange man he extended his root like feet into the ground. Ten sets of vines, each at least ten feet long, shot out and rose into the air. The vines swiftly rained down on the boys, knocking them into the courtyard walls. As they attempted to get back up, the vines wrapped around their waists like ropes, making it impossible for them to move. Mallory, Jane, and Lana rushed toward the boys to help them. However, just as they approached them, the remaining set of vines sprouted from the man. Just like that it was over. The girls were tied up right next to the boys. The boys and girls squeeled in such a way that Vidaj didn't think was possible. The vines were squeezing the life out of them.

Vidaj was terrified knowing that he was next, but he was filled with such rage from the screams of his friends that he knew he had to at least try. The being didn't seem to notice to notice any of the emotions emanating from Vidaj. He stared at Vidaj curiously. "I'm impressed you didn't fall to the wayside like the rest of your friends, but from the look on your face, I can tell it takes quite a bit of energy for you to cast your shadow repeatedly. So how about we play a game? How many strikes do you think it'll take before you make a mistake and I rip your body to shreds?"

The man let go of his tight grip on Vidaj's friends instead focusing all of his strength toward Vidaj. His vines viciously approached him. Vidaj was able to phase through the attacks, but the sweat dripping from his forehead said it all. There was no way could he keep up with the masked man's stamina.

The man laughed wildly. "Boy you're looking tired!"

Vidaj peeked at the rest of the group. Though they were no longer have their life drained from them he could easily see their helpless expressions. Knowing that he could only phase through the man's attacks three or four more times he had to think of something. Unable to think of anything the vines approached him again. He didn't know how he was able to keep his focus, but he managed to phase through the vines once again. Fighting for his life, he stood back up, exhausted, his eyes struggling to focus on the masked man.

"Looks like you can barely stand. Let's see who screams louder, you or your friends when this finally connects!"

The group all screamed and pleaded for Vidaj to move out of the way, but just like Vidaj, they knew there was no escaping this madman. Vidaj put his hands up, pressing his eyes into his head. Embracing his fate, he awaited the final blow. An odd unexpected feeling filled him. It wasn't the fear and anxiety that had been plaguing him since the plant like being arrived. This was something else. Something calming and familiar. Something strong. It was the aura that he had been chasing. Opening his eyes, long claws had sliced through vines that would have surely killed him. It was the man in the trench coat.

Jumping back the man shed his cloak revealing a thick layer of white fur. Vidaj stared at the furry creature in awe. The beast momentarily turned to face him, revealing a calm, light white humanlike face with a large, dark, pointed nose. Vidaj marveled at the creature's vibrant white fur, his massive size, and razor-sharp claws.

The tree like being shouted, "LOX the fox! What are you doing here?"

The fox like creature's stoic expression that had filled Vidaj with calmness had vanished. Instead he could feel the LOX's anger through his raspy tone. "You know exactly why I'm here, Natura Arbor. I'm the protector of the sprites! Do you think I'd let you take them so easily?"

Even with these questions swirling in his head, and his exhaustion, he felt a surge of energy that allowed him to rise and stand by LOX's side, ready to fight.

LOX shifted his large blue eyes toward Vidaj, extending his massive arms out, which covered almost all of Vidaj's body.

"What do you think you're doing?" LOX questioned.

Though he terrified of the creature that appeared before them Vidaj renewed confidence was on display. "That's for the help back there, but this guy's dangerous. I know you're pretty big, but didn't you see how he controls those vines? We're going to have to work together to take him out."

LOX's deadpan expression made it hard to gauge what he was thinking. His sharp teeth were exposed. Vidaj couldn't tell for sure, but LOX might have been smiling. "You're a tough kid, but tough almost got you killed. Don't worry. I have a plan."

Vidaj looked at the creature intently waiting for his master plan. LOX extended his massive furry arms out. The force flung Vidaj back towards the rest of the group. Breathing heavily, Vidaj was stunned at how easily LOX was able to push him back. "It's a simple plan. Stand with your friends and catch your breath. By the time you start breathing normally again, this corrupted sprite will be no more."

Corrupted sprite? Vidaj thought. LOX turned back toward Natura Arbor with his long sharp metallic like claws extended. LOX vanished instantly. Vidaj could feel his presence rushing towards the Natura Arbor. Within just a few seconds Natura Arbor's body had been in half from the waist down.

Natura Arbor gasped while blood began to pour out from his mouth. Laying on his back he turned to his side to see his bifurcated legs by his head. The vines that held Vidaj's friends instantly shriveled up. Within a few more seconds his legs started to disintegrate into a black mist like substance.

It was clear that he was in excruciating pain, but Natura Arbor spoke in his same ominous tone. "The others will come for you."

LOX barked back, "And I'll be here waiting!"

The masked man's headand torso then disintegrated. When his head finally vanished ten small blackfluorescent orbs formed and shot in various directions. Vidaj looked around ashis friends slowly gathered around the cloak of the man who had just died. Thiswas the first time any of them had seen someone die up close, let alone in sucha gruesome manner. Vidaj looked at the fox-like creature for any signs of remorse,anger, or sorrow, but saw none. LOX was just as calm and stoic as he had beenwhen he'd first appeared.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

94 17 7
Out of the ashes the Phoenix will rise! After centuries of peace, The Darkness has been released from its purgatory and has risen to exact revenge o...
1.8K 226 31
I see you. ~~~ Zypher Cho, a young teen who is transformed into a monster, must find a way to revert back to humanity before he loses himself to what...
437K 15.5K 162
Kichirou Saiyaku was your average 28-year-old shut-in NEET. The type who locked themselves away to always play video games, watch anime, and read man...
12.3K 630 9
Magic is a powerful yet fleeting thing. Those blessed with its presence are given a choice: to do good for their fellow man or to be corrupted. Tobia...