Wilting Roses (Formerly known...

Od Ortiz-Novels

Heart broken and mistreated by her arranged husband, Scarlett Heart seeks refuge in a massive garden hidden i... Více

Cover Art
Copyright © 2014 by Mara L. Ortiz
Wedding Day
Grand Feast
Arrival
2 years and 9 Month's
Tragic Karma
Guilt
Punishment
The Little Things
Apologies
Conflicted
Little Lies
Challanged Thought's
Falling Harder
Heart At Ease
Rejection
Urgent Message
Recovery and Dispair
Hiding in Plain Sight
The Truth
Anticipation
The Encounter
The Day is Gone
Heart Warming Farewell
Carnival
When Push Comes to Shove
Plead Bargin
Against All Odds
Holding On to Stay True
Final Blow
True Love's Last Kiss
Pressure
Set Things Right
Confrontation
There's A Fire
Looking for Shelter
Winter Has Come
Peace
Sweet Winter Spring & Summer
Fin

Fear of The Truth

58.1K 2.2K 199
Od Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Thirty Two

Her hands fisted in frustration as she watched the old man shake his head in protest. Her heart was twisting painfully as she begged him to reconsider what he was doing to his son.

"Sir Heart please, just tell him."

"It has only been five days, and we agreed to go for a month," he persisted not convinced.

"I was forced to agree, had I not agreed to your terms you would have forbidden that I step foot into his home. He loved me and I...I love him too." she confessed. Tears pooled in her eyes as the last words slipped from her mouth. The ache inside her chest had been unbearable for the past days. It made Scarlett realize that her feelings for this man had begun to grow. She did not understand love all that well, but she was willing to learn if that it was it took.

"My dear, I know my son, and he will go back to his old ways if I give him what he wants." he explained trying to keep his voice down. They were standing near the fireplace away from ear shot so that not even Lady Heart could hear their bickering.

"He's changed," she pleaded searching his eyes.

He sighed clearly not agreeing with her but nevertheless he looked at the broken expression on her face as her lip quivered. "Alright my dear, but should things go back to what they use to be do not come running to me," he muttered.

"Oh, thank you." She gasped. She fought the urge to embrace him as everyone chatted away in the living room. Her heart skipped with joy as her smile grew wider and her eyes brimmed with thick tears.

"It kills me to see my son in the condition he's in now, but if it was to teach him a lesson that I would not have had it any other way," he whispered.

Her mood shifted and Scarlett felt the happiest she had ever had. It was as if someone had handed her; her freedom after being imprisoned for such a long time. Joy coursed through her as she found herself laughing and smiling along with the rest of her family. Nothing could rob her of the happiness she was feeling. Soon she would confront Dathan and finally explain everything that had happened. Her only fear was that he would find himself feeling hurt and betrayed.

***

Another day had come to an end, Dathan sat next to the windowsill watching the stars shine brightly. The moon hid behind dark gray clouds slowly brushing away to reveal its brightness. He felt the cold rush into his room and closing his eyes he inhaled and let out an unsteady breath. The blasted weather would give him a terrible fever if he chose to prolong his sitting near the window. Pushing away he stood and closed the window, feeling the chill linger in his room.

After starting a small fire inside the chimney he took a quiet seat on his chair facing the fire. Above in the mantel hung her portrait, the one thing he got to keep from her the day she had left. Dathan could not blame Scarlett for wanting to move on, for wanting to feel cherished and loved. He had after all inflicted upon her a miserable life. Good things came to those who sought them and all he had sought was the blind path. A path that had repaid him with heartache and hatred. Hatred for those who had claimed to love him and in the end betrayed his trust.

"I can't do this anymore," he whispered, as he pulled out her wedding ring from around his neck.

In just five days he had decided to flee the mansion, finding somewhere else where the pain was less for him. Here in this small dark room he sat staring at the fire, the cold breeze lightly fading from his chamber. His once callous fingers traced the rim of the tiny gold band, all he could recall from this was thrusting it upon her finger and walking out of the dingy little church. It was another terrible memory he was left to wallow over to regret for the rest of his life. The ache in his chest was becoming more physical than emotional and he knew he had to put a stop to how childish he was acting. For no one was on the other side feeling like he was, she was more than likely spending time in the arms of her beloved.

The jealousy coursed heavily in his veins to picture the man whom held her now, who bestowed upon her sweet caressed and kisses. His fingers tightened around the wedding band and Dathan chose then to stand and seek his bed. No matter how hard he tried to distract his thoughts to find attraction in another woman, his mind always went back to her.

When night time fell he laid in bed fiddling with her ring and thinking of the life they might have had. He tossed and turned all night unable to find slumber. This was more than he could bear at times. Lying on his side he stared off into nothing and slowly his body gave in.

***

She lay snuggled under her covers staring at nothing as the candle made the room form shadows around her walls. Closing her eyes she twirled her long almond hair around her index finger. There was not a second in her mind that Dathan wasn't there. Rising off the bed she made her way downstairs and sat in a rocking chair close to the fireplace. Sleep was far from her as she stared into the flames that made the wood crackle and pop.

"I see that I am not the only one that can't sleep?" Mia said from behind.

"No."

"This wouldn't have to do with a certain someone?" she asked, walking over to Scarlett's side.

"I will not lie to you Mia, of course it is?" Scarlett then whispered, still staring at the flames.

"Because you love him, and that's what love does," she said while running her fingers through Scarlett's hair.

"Do you think I'm crazy?"

"No not at all, I actually admire you," Mia confessed.

"Why ever would you?"

"Dathan was...a horrible husband to you Scarlett, but yet you stuck with him, you never gave up on him. You are brave, do you know that?" she said.

"I want to thank you Mia, I wanted to rush into his arms the instant I saw him standing outside our door. Had I done it maybe I would have shown him how vulnerable I was. You forced me to take step back and really see things clearly. I thank you for it, for looking out for me." She confessed.

Mia knelt next to Scarlett and brushed some of the stray hairs away from her face. "I love you, there isn't anything I would not do for any of my sisters." She whispered.

"And I love you as well my dear sister." Scarlett replied.

They both sat there in silence a while longer until the flames began to die down, and then with the last flame gone they both stood and headed their separate ways to bed.

***

The afternoon had come and with it a chill that rattled even the youngest of youth. The snow had not fallen yet but the earth seemed more than prepared to receive it. On this day Scarlett snuggled herself into her coat and wrapped a bright red scarf around her neck. The family had run low on vegetation and although she doubted there would be any left in the small market she went anyway. Gathering her large basket she readied herself with her small change purse and off she went.

The small market laid swarmed with antsy buyers looking to gather whatever was left of fruit and vegetables. Scarlett doubted now that she would ever get the opportunity to salvage as much as she could. Cautiously she descended her carriage, her hands gripping tightly to the basket clinging to her arm. To see sellers shouting out to the buyers their biggest price only proved that winter was just around the corner. Letting out a light breath she neared the first stand nearly vacant of any celery. Her eyes scanned what had been left, and only a few broken sticks laid as if trampled by a mob.

Moving on she came to stand before a large carrot stand, some only editable for a day before they began to rot. Scarlett figured it was best to take them and maybe use them to make something warm for dinner. Placing a few into her basket she paid and moved on. She was thankful that her father knew how to invest the money they had earned from working the piece of land Dathan had left to her in their divorce. Her father had even invested in cattle, chickens, and many other animals that would help the income keep coming to the family.

With a faint smile she inwardly thanked her former husband and went about trying to gather whatever she could.

***

"I failed to see the point of going to the market if there is nothing here, most of this vegetation is rotten," Dathan protested, trying to give his mother the hint he no longer wanted to prolong his stay.

"We need to take whatever we can for the winter," she replied. Lady Heart took hold of an onion and gave it her inspection before deciding it was rotten. Tossing it aside she gathered another in hopes that this one would be good enough to take home. Disappointed yet again she sighed in defeat and turned to walk in another direction. Her eyes caught sight of her before Dathan could realize it. Filled with joy for the first time since she had laid eyes on Scarlett she cleared her throat and tried to act natural.

"Why don't you walk over to Mr. Wrigley's potato stand and gather what you can, I recall your father asking for a warm light soup this evening." She said, turning her back so that Scarlett could not catch a glimpse of them just yet.

Dathan's eyes fell over the carrot stand next to the onion's and without inspecting them he simply gathered a bunch and shoved them into his mother's basket.

"For crying out loud Dathan, give them an inspection," she hissed, tossing them back. "Now do as I say and go over there and pick out edible potatoes for your father." She snipped, mumbling to herself as she did. Refusing to act like a child he obeyed his mother without another word.

The wind pricked against his cheekbones, the awful dreaded weather brought a terrible dryness to his skin reddening his nose to an embarrassing level. Lifting the collar to his thick wool coat he shuttered as he kept his gaze forward careful not to bump into any one in general. But then his eyes fell over a very familiar figure, although Scarlett dressed in a thick coat and a bright red scarf Dathan was certain he would be able to spot her from any distance.

He walked slowly towards her almost fearing that she would evaporate before his very eyes. Swallowing his misery he tried to look proper before trying to approach her. He knew he looked terrible and only wished he had known she would be here so that he would have at least tried to look decent.

***

She lifted the potato in hopes that maybe for the fourth attempt it would be decent enough to place in her basket. However, much to her disappointment she realized it was also rotted. Dingy smelly juice dripped from it as Scarlett realized this and tossed it back away from the batch she hoped might still hold hope. The last thing she wanted to do was purchase a rotten vegetable only to have her entire family suffering from upset stomachs. It was then that from the corner of her eye she noticed a pair of familiar hands reach out to the batch as well.

Her breath hitched just the slightest as she fully turned to find Dathan inspecting the product as well. Joy spiraled within her as a smile left her lips without her consent. His eyes turned away from the vegetable he held to meet her very own and a generous smile also escaped his lips. Dathan had suddenly presented himself before her so unexpected. Fate was tempting her to take this opportunity and seize it.

Just then a large mob of buyers pushed through the front row of the stand shoving Scarlett farther away. Her ankle twisted and her breath escaped her lips in a choke. Before her bottom could make contact with the muddy ground she was held in a pair of strong arms. She gasped for air just as her savior placed her on her feet.

"Another moment longer and you would have been literally rolling in the mud," Drake chuckled.

"Oh Drake, thank goodness," Scarlett said, her hands gripping his shoulders in relief.

"Are you alright, are you hurt?" he asked, wiping away a few strands of hair that laid stuck to her cheek.

***

Pure jealousy ate at Dathan to see Scarlett embraced in the arms of her lover. But of course she would not dare come alone to a market filled with a hungry mob! The man's eyes stared into her own much like Dathan pictured he did. He was clearly in love with her. Dathan's feet laid rooted to the floor refusing to retreat. Something kept him there unable to draw his eyes away.

***

His arms still held her and it hit Scarlett so suddenly. She feared maybe the rest of the world was believing they were simply lovers embraced. Taking a few steps away Scarlett made certain her basket had not dropped any vegetables or fruits she had already paid for.

"

I am delighted to see you out here, although I must admit it is rather chilly and the mob of people is just terrible," he said, a smile still etched on his face.

"Yes well I needed to come and gather whatever I could, winter is just around the corner and I do recall father saying he'd love a nice warm veggie soup before winter this evening," she said.

Drake's face seemed to harden at the mention of her father's name and on her behalf she felt a hesitation. "Is there something troubling you?" she asked.

"Your father...I do hope he approves of me," he said, more in a whisper.

Scarlett smiled and shook her head waving away his worries. "I'll tell you a secret, it might take you a little while to get on his approving side but you might win him over a little quicker if you show praise for his hard work," she whispered, with a wink.

Drake let out a chuckle and took Scarlett's hand to place a tender kiss upon her knuckles.

"I thank you Lady Scarlett, you are truly as beautiful and divine as Nichole mentioned," he complimented.

"Well I do hope to see your family and yourself this evening in our estate." She said.

Drake's gaze was focused squarely behind Scarlett where she knew without a doubt Dathan stared. She did not need to turn over and see she could already feel his penetrating stare on her.

"There you are lad, it's very ungentlemanly of you to leave your poor mother all by her lonesome in a mob like this. Carol McKellester nearly attacked me with an onion!" his mother suddenly complained.

"Mother, I'd like to you to meet Scarlett Worthington," Drake said, his gaze finally drawing away from the jealous ex-husband a few feet away.

"The Scarlett?" she asked, taking her hand.

Drake pressed his lips into a thin line and gave a small nod, the words not falling comfortably with him as he glared at his mother.

"What I meant to say is...Nichole speaks so highly of you my dear, well we must be going the wind is getting chillier. You should gather your skirts and head home as well dear, you do not want to catch your death out here," Lady Worrall said.

Confused Scarlett said her goodbyes to Lady Worrall and her son. Drake leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss onto her cheek saying "It looks like a certain someone stands but a few feet away and trust me when I say he does not look happy." He then turned to walk away leaving her to stand on her own.

"Friends of yours?" came his thick voice.

She jumped a little, turning to look into his dark fathom eyes. Her breath hitched and a smile slipped from her lips to see him once again.

"Dear me Dathan, you gave me fright, please forgive me I meant to say hello earlier," she replied.

"That man...is he?"

"No, no, I am here on my own," she replied. Biting her lip and felt guilt overwhelm her. Truthfully, Scarlett was a bit nervous to tell Dathan the truth. There was nothing more she wanted than to end the misery for them both. However, it was not the time nor the place to tell him everything that she had lied about on her last departure. It sounded terrible truthfully as she re-ran the words in her head. There had to be a better way to explain to Dathan what she had done.

"I see, nevertheless I can see that he's attracted to you," he said bluntly.

A gasp escaped her lips to hear his raw reply, truly Drake did not feel for her in such a manor. Brushing it aside as merely a bit of jealousy on his behalf she proceeded in taking a deep breath before speaking, "Dathan, there are things that I wish we could discuss, but I can't seem to find the right words." She said.

"Say no more Scarlett, I think I understand," he said, a small smile on his lips. Lifting her arm he wrapped it around his own and led her away from the large mob.

"Where exactly are we going?" she asked, feeling a bit giddy.

"Will it kill you to take a walk with me?" he asked.

She laughed and shook her head, feeling like the worlds luckiest woman. The temptation of leaning her head against his shoulder was overwhelming as they walked away from the large crowd. Turning over her shoulder she watched as the swarm of people hurried to every stand and other walked away with almost nothing in their baskets.

"How have things been?" he asked pulling Scarlett's attention away from the market.

"The family has been nothing but well and it is growing, the gentleman you saw chatting with me might just become Nichole's future betrothed." She explained.

"Trust me when I say that those are not his intentions," he reassured.

"Come now Dathan do you really believe that Drake would be capable of something harmful?" she questioned stopping to face him.

Arching a brow Dathan tried to prove his point by simply saying nothing. Shaking her head in protest Scarlett began walking again determined to find the right words to meet with Dathan once again so that finally she would be able to speak of the chaos that had occurred without his knowledge.

"Stay close to family whenever he is around, do not let him catch you on your own." He more like demanded.

"Aren't you being a bit dramatic?" she asked, a chuckle escaped her as she stared at him trying to read the sarcasm off his face.

"No Scarlett I have no room to be taking matters lightly, the look on his face was one of lust not appreciation nor a gentlemanly action. I would go to the ends of the earth to find him should he ever think of laying a hand on you," he said his hand resting over her own.

With a shutter to travel down her spine she forced her legs to keep moving. In reality she had no clue where they were heading all she knew is that the world melted around her every time he was so close.

After a long moment she cleared her throat determined to say what she had been dying to say. She stopped walking, the arm she had wrapped around his own tightened as she turned to face him head on.

"There is something I need to say, but of course standing in the middle of a muddy market place is not the proper place." She said. She feared maybe her voice might betray her as she gently let go of him.

***

It profoundly confused him to see Scarlett a bit nervous. She stared away, her cheeks tainted a light pink, and her hands squeezed into a tight grip at her sides. What could possibly be troubling her so? Glancing to his side Dathan came to realize they stood next to a meat shop and it suddenly hit him. Maybe Scarlett was in deed in financial need and she was merely pretending to be alright. With a small chuckle he took her by her gloved hand and led her towards the small butcher shop.

"I think I understand now, if you needed a bit of help all you had to do was ask," he said, reaching into his back pocket. She shook her head in shock and tried in vain to stop him from ordering a few pounds of beef.

"Oh heavens you must think the worst of me?" she exasperated covering her face.

"Scarlett please do not feel embarrassed I will gladly pay for anything you need," he reassured her.

Letting out a frustrated sigh she squared her shoulders and looked him straight in the eye.

"Dathan what I meant to say is that I have something to discuss with you referring to us," she clarified.

Her words hit him squarely in the heart. It began to beat uncontrollably as he stared at her a bit baffled. "Us?" he rephrased, not certain if he had heard her right.

"Yes, us...there still lies some unfinished business between the both is us that I would really like to finally settle," she shyly replied.

He grew more confused than he had ever been in his entire life as he stared away for a moment in hopes that maybe it meant good news for once.

"Was there something you forgot, something in the divorce that did not sit well?" he asked.

"I'll say no more, I'll meet with you at your estate, kindly tell me where you live and I will meet you there tomorrow night," she said.

His hands itched to reach out to her to hold her like a husband rather than a lover or a friend. There was so much more Dathan wanted out of Scarlett but he was certain this was nothing more than to possibly talk business. After all she had said business.

"There is nothing more I would love than to have you come to my home and visit, but there are a few things I must adjust, it is not properly finished yet, I would think myself clearly a fool to receive you in a home that has nothing but an empty tea room and living room." He explained.

"When can I see you then?" she asked.

Distracted by the butcher placing a large pack of meat wrapped in paper, Dathan quickly paid for the purchase and placed it in her basket.

"I could never Dathan, this is clearly too much," she protested.

"Take it, it's the least I can do," he replied with a genuine smile. "About those unfixed problems...I will gladly come to your estate should you have me," he added.

A smile twitched unto her lips as she stared down to her feet and nodded. "I would love that." She whispered.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

121 1 7
What if your dad was the creator of the world? And what you dreamed of everyday was to go to earth and meet human, and see all the things you read in...
14 0 13
This is my first story This is a continued part Scarlett had discovered a new way of life. Five years had passed, yet she still struggled with the...
163 12 13
Scarlett a university student that goes to DDLC Corporation to do her internship. But the situation she didn't await was getting trapped at the highe...
3.7K 11 4
We can't always choose who we fall in love with. Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made. Tamara loved her husband. Or so she thought, until his cousin...