Extra Company

By Juniperlives43

*Not completed just preventing wattpad from deleting it* Gandalf searches for someone who could prove useful... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
IMPORTANT
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 16

3.4K 126 16
By Juniperlives43

The sound of pickaxes meeting stone filled the air, strong men and women worked, their shackles jingeling as the people hacked away at the stone. A large man sat with his face towards the wall, flinching as he felt a whip slashed across his back. The man turned his head to see an orc, growling at him, slashing the whip across his back once more before laughing.

Hope was beginning to slip away from the man, most, maybe all, of his kind were dead. Killed off by starvation, thirst, infection, wargs, or all the above. He lost his family, his friends, there was nothing left for him.

He froze as he heard a roar of some kind, looking over towards the opening of the cave he saw a group of orcs standing by the entrance spears at the ready, each one of them had a look of fear on their face. Screams could be heard from outside, myself and the rest of the slaves turned their attention towards the entrance, their work ceasing to a halt.

The ground shook as something large slammed against the ground, causing some of the orcs to fall to the ground. Then there was a figure which was shadowed by the light, their long hair blowing in the wind. They held out their hand, a gust of wind being blown into the tunnel, causing the orcs to get thrown into the cave's walls.

The figure stepped into the cave, revealing a woman with long white hair tipped with gold, lightly tanned skin, and bright cobalt blue eyes. The woman was dressed in silver elven armor, she drew her sword as she walked towards us, slicing down the orcs that charged her way. She then swung her sword, breaking the chains on each of the slaves.

"Follow me!" She ordered, her eyes glancing over towards the large man for a moment before leading all of them out of the cave, the man now being able to see the moonlight for the first time in years. Around them a battle ensued, orcs and elves fighting one another. "Now run!" She said, pointing her sword to the forest. Most of the people ran, doing their best to avoid the battle around them.

The male however, stayed behind, causing the woman to become confused, "What's the matter? You're free, you can leave, start a new life."

The tall man looked down at the small woman, hope seeming to return to his eyes. He smiled down at her as he spoke, "Thank you, my lady. For freeing us."

She smiled up at him with a bright smile, "You're welcome." Her smile then turned to a serious frown as she pointed once more to the forest, "Now you must leave! They might kill you if they see you."

He nodded, taking a few steps towards the forest before stopping, "What is your name?"

She smiled softly, "Saharia."

"Beorn." He responded, before turning back to the forest, shifting into a large black bear as he lumbered into the forest, his jaws clamping down onto a warg that grew too close before tossing it across the clearing like it was nothing, before disappearing into the trees.

*********************************

I waited with the other dwarves, awaiting Bilbo's return as he scouted where Azog's pack was. As soon as we walked out of the forest, we were immediately hunted down, at one point we had to travel for a few days without rest just to make sure we stayed out of their reach. Now we stood among a small mountain pass, hoping to lose the pack here. I hear rapid footsteps heading towards us, I turned my head to see Bilbo running down towards us with a frightful look on his face.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin questioned, taking a few steps forward, as he looked behind the hobbit to make sure he wasn't followed.

"Too close." Bilbo begins, running to the safety of the company. "A couple of leagues, no more." Bilbo told us, still slightly out of breath. "But that's not the worst of it." I tilt my head to the side at this, confused on what he means. What could be worse than a pack of orcs?

"Have the wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin questioned.

"Not yet." Bilbo answered, giving a small shake of his head.

"But they will do." Dwalin spoke, glancing back up the path Bilbo came down on, as if expecting the pack to come charging down towards them.

"We have another problem." Bilbo persisted, still slightly out of breath.

"Did they see you?" Gandalf questioned, slightly alarmed. "They saw you." Gandalf concluded, looking serious for a moment.

Bilbo shook his head, "No, that's not it." Bilbo opened his mouth, about to say something till Gandalf butt in, "What did I tell you?"

A proud smile formed along Gandalf's lips, "Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." Everyone nodded and mumbled in agreement.

"Listen, will you just ... there is something else ...." Bilbo trailed off as everyone kept mumbling, ignoring him.

I rolled my eyes, "All of you shut up! Bilbo is trying to say he saw something else out there!" All of the dwarves winced slightly from my tone of voice, immediately going silent.

Bilbo nodded in thanks, before Gandalf walked up a few steps closer. "What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf questioned, his eyes narrowing in thought.

"Ye-" Bilbo looked up at him in surprise, "Yes, but bigger. Much bigger." Bilbo spoke, looking at Gandalf in shock by the fact he guessed right.

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur questioned, looking up at Gandalf, who looked at me before turning around and facing the forest. I walk away from the group over to Gandalf hearing Bofur say urgently, "I say we double back."

"And be run down by a pack of orcs?" Thorin questioned, before shaking his head, everyone agreeing with him.

Gandalf looked over at me asking, "Would he be willing to house them?"

I shrug, "Your guess is as good as mine."

He let out a sigh before saying, "There is a house." The company turned to look at him, Gandalf turned around to face them. "It's not far from here, where we might take refuge." Gandalf continued, looking over at Thorin.

"Whose house?" Thorin questioned. "Are they friend or foe?"

Gandalf let out another sigh, "Neither. He will help us ... or he will kill us."

"What choice do we have?" Thorin questioned, everyone jumping at the sound of a loud howl echoing across the sky.

"None." Gandalf answered as he turned around saying, "Come on!"

We ran across the field as the sun rose to its peaks, keeping out of range of the orcs, reaching a forest in a matter of minutes. We heard a roar, causing us to move faster, Thorin tugged at Bombur saying, "Bombur, come on!"

Up ahead was a house, resting a few feet away from the forest, we ran in a single file line while Gandalf took the lead while I took the rear. I looked at Bombur in shock as he started passing most of the dwarves, even Bilbo, who also looked as confused as I was. Eventually we reached the house, Gandalf stopping by the entrance as the dwarves kept going, slamming into the door as they struggled to open it.

I heard something crash out of the brush, I turned around seeing a large black bear, about twice the size of a normal bear, lumbering towards us quickly. "Come on get inside!" I heard someone shout from the group once Thorin and I reached them. "Open the door!" Gandalf shouted, Thorin going up and pushing up the latch, allowing everyone to pile in inside. Just in time as well, as once they were closing the door, the black bear muzzle came between the doors, all the dwarves struggling to push it close, Bilbo had his sword pointed towards the bear, while I had my sword on the handle ... just in case.

Finally the dwarves were able to close the door and latch it shut, preventing the bear from entering. "What ... is that?" Thorin questioned, looking up at Gandalf with a questioning look.

"That is our host." Gandalf spoke. "His name is Beorn. And he's a skin changer." Gandalf explained. "Sometimes he's a huge black bear. Sometimes he's a strong man."

"The bear is unpredictable ... but the man can be reasoned with." I add on, looking around the house with interest. "However ... he is not overfond of dwarves." I say, looking back at Thorin.

He was about to open his mouth to say something before Ori spoke, the sound of scuffling moving away from the door, "He's leaving."

Dori immediately grabbed a hold of Ori's shirt as he dragged him away from the door, "Come away from there! It's not natural, none of it!" He spoke in fear, "It's obvious, he's under some ... dark spell." He spoke as he looked up at Gandalf.

I narrowed my eyes in Dori's way, about to say something till Gandalf stepped in, "Don't be a fool. He is under no enchantment but his own." He then looked over at the rest of us before gesturing to the hay, "All right, now get some sleep. All of you. You'll be safe here tonight." Everyone started moving around, trying to find a spot to lay down on. "I hope." I hear Gandalf whisper under his breath.

I walk across the hay, looking for a good spot to lay down on, becoming confused as most of the spots were taken up. "Saharia!" I hear a hushed whisper, I look over seeing Fili and Kili beckoning me over. I walked over to the two of them, watching as they scooted away from one another before Fili patted on the spot. "Come lay with us." Kili spoke with a smile.

I laid down beside them, before Kili asked, "Did you finish our drawings?"

I nodded, "I finished them a long time ago ... you wanna see?"

"Yeah!" Fili answered, I smiled brightly as I sat up, pulling my book out of my bag before flipping to their page. Fili and Kili sat up as well, looking over my shoulder as they looked down at the drawings. "These are fantastic." Kili complemented, looking at his own before looking over at his brothers.

"You think so?" I ask with a bright smile.

"Yeah, even the descriptions are spot on." Fili complemented with a warm smile. "How did you get our birthdays?" He asked, glancing over at Kili before looking up at me.

"I just asked Thorin." I answer with a soft smile.

"If you three don't go to sleep I'm gonna whack ya." I hear Dwalin grumble, causing the three of us to wince lightly.

"Maybe we should get some sleep." I say with a nervous smile, Fili and Kili nodded in agreement. I slip the book into my bag, before laying down on my side, using my arm as a pillow. Fili laid down with his back to mine while Kili laid down with his back turned towards me. I closed my eyes, falling into an uneasy slumber.

Fili's POV

I rest my head peacefully, thinking about the drawing Saharia created of me, she didn't miss anything, not a single detail. She even got my own personality and likings right, the only thing she asked was my birthday.

I smiled softly as I closed my eyes, but opened them as I heard small mumbles and whines from behind me. I sat up slightly, looking over to see Saharia trembling, mumbling something in her sleep, she pulled her knees closer to her chest.

I looked across to see Kili was still sleeping soundly, I carefully turned myself around, draping my arm over her waist as I laid my head behind her own, her wonderful scent washing over my nose, calming me instantly. I smiled as I let out a soft sigh, looking to see Saharia calmed down, a small smile forming along her face.

Unknown to me, someone was glaring right in my direction, jealousy gleaming in their eyes. 

Saharia's POV

I blinked open my eyes as I heard a door open and close, watching as large bumble bees fly around. One landing on my shoulder for a moment before flying away once I moved slightly. I let out a yawn, before noticing there was something across my mid-section, I looked over seeing an arm, turning around to see Fili, sleeping peacefully.

I smiled softly, pushing his arm off gently before standing up, stepping over the sleeping dwarves carefully as I adjusted my bag. I was wondering how my nightmare ended so abruptly, now I know why. I think this is one of the first times where I got a decent sleep, I would have to thank him later.

I was too lost in thought, that I hit someone's foot, I looked over seeing Thorin blinking open his eyes, looking up at me with a confused expression. "Sorry." I whispered to him, watching as he sat up. "It's fine, I was about to get up anyway." He spoke groggily, pushing himself up off the ground.

I hear something similar to wood being split, snapping my attention towards the door. I began to move forward but was stopped by Thorin, as he took the lead, keeping himself between me and the door.

I looked out the window, seeing a large man with black hair and beard that had a hint of grey in it. His light skin almost seemed to be decorated in a bit of dirt, his arm raised as he slammed the axe down, splitting the wood in half. I smiled brightly, immediately recognizing the figure. 

I walked over to the door, grabbing a hold of the latch, however I was stopped when Thorin grabbed my wrist, I looked over at him with a confused expression. "Let me go out there with you." He spoke, his blue eyes glistening with concern for a moment.

I smile at him softly, "You can relax Thorin, I am your peace keeper after all. This is my part." I tell him with a knowing smile, "Besides, it's best if he sees me first before seeing the rest of the company." Thorin let out a sigh, knowing I was right as he allowed his hand to drop down to his side, allowing me to open the door before closing it silently behind me.

I walk up to the large man, walking across the garden towards him. He placed a piece of wood onto the stumb, raising his axe, ready to cut the wood in half. I cleared my throat, causing him to freeze before turning around to look at me, his eyes widening.

"Hello Beorn." I say with a warm smile as I look into the man's light brown eyes.

He smiled warmly as well, "Hello Saharia." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 98 18
When Kaya's asked by Gandalf to join the company of Thorin Oakinshield as their scout to help them reclaim their home. She hesitates at first but agr...
170K 5.2K 25
The title is pretty self-explanatory. I own none of the recognizable characters, places etc. I only own my original characters and plot lines. I will...
33K 1.1K 35
Neither of us uttered a word for the longest time. I step towards him with my eyes never leaving his "Do you know why I came back?" I ask softly "Wh...
69.1K 1.4K 24
When Y/N daughter of Elrond gets a letter from Gandalf, she goes for a quest to the shire. There she meets 13 dwarves and a hobbit. They become unexp...