Eban

By Quasiqwerty

Ferann is at war. Nathan, a Manipulator in the Royal Guard, fights to end the forty-year-old feud between Fe... More

1 - Callum
2 - Eban
3 - Callum
4 - Callum
5 - Elaine
6 - Eban
7 - Nathan
8 - Eban
9 - Callum
10 - Nathan
11 - Elaine
12 - Callum
13 - Eban
14 - Nathan
15 - Eban
16 - Elaine
18 - Marika
19 - Nathan
20 - Eban
21 - Marika
22 - Callum
23 - Nathan
24 - Elaine
25 - Eban
26 - Callum
27 - Marika
28 - Epilogue

17 - Callum

31 3 1
By Quasiqwerty

The monotony of the march was not as disappointing as Callum had expected. For one thing, he had never been in the company of so many Wild mages. In the twenty-three years of his life, Callum had only known three other Wild mages. Since his introduction to Ada's company and the start of the journey, he had added twenty-nine more names to that list.

It was strange. Despite the hardships of the march and the nights spent with only a piece of canvas to protect him from the spring rains that were making themselves felt, Callum felt happy. It was good to have a purpose again, even if that was war. It was good to have food and respect and a place to sleep in the relative safety of their camp. More than anything, it was good, for the first time in his life, to be able to truly be himself without fearing the judgement of his companions.

For another thing, Ash had joined them four days into their march. She was accompanied by a man, Lachlan, whom Callum recognised from the day she had spoken to him at the training grounds. Callum had been disappointed to learn that their relationship was close. He could not say exactly how close, as no one had answered his questions among the soldiers he walked with, and it seemed rather inappropriate to ask Ash herself.

In the day since they had arrived, Ash, Ada and Lachlan had ridden together and spoke softly almost non-stop. Something had happened after Ada's company had left Tir Brenin, something that had caused Ash and friend to come riding out after them, but neither Ada nor Ash was willing to say anything. Whatever it was, it had to have been big. It had dominated the conversation at the campfire the night before, and, with a new dusk drawing near, Callum's neighbours on the march were still swopping theories.

"Something must have happened on the border," said Rhona. "Something went wrong."

Those close enough to hear exchanged glances. Rhona was one of the longest serving members of Ada's troop. If anyone could guess what was going on, it was she.

"How can you be so sure it's bad news?" Callum asked. "Perhaps something went right for a change."

Rhona shook her head, "If it went right, there's no way Ash would be heading to the borders again so soon. It went wrong, and Adair decided to send Lord Foxby some help."

Those around nodded their agreement at Rhona's reasoning.

"But surely Cameron would be a better back up? I mean, I'm sure Lady Ash is great, but the Captain of the Royal Guard would be able to offer more support," said Callum, frowning.

Those around him glanced at one another, confusion slipping quickly into amusement. Sharing their glances, Rhona cleared her throat awkwardly. "Callum, Ash isn't just another member of the Royal Guard." She hesitated, her expression making it clear that she was hoping someone else would take over the explanation When no one did, she continued. "We all call her Ash, because honestly addressing her formally when she fights so often alongside us feels strange, but her true name is Aislinn. She's King Adair's daughter and heir."

Callum stared. "Ash is the Crown Princess? Fates be saved, why didn't anyone tell me? Do you know how many stupid things I've said to her?" In hindsight, it made sense. Even Ada spoke to her with respect, more respect than you would normally show someone of the same rank. And Ash had shown no interest in following any of Ada's orders. When she did, it almost felt like it was an acquiescence, more than anything else. And it explained why the others had always seemed so amused when he talked about her.

Damn the Fates, how could I have been so blind.

"Don't worry about it, lad," said Rhona, patting Callum's shoulder awkwardly, "it's an easy mistake to make. Ash certainly doesn't look like anyone's idea of a princess."

Callum's jaw tensed. Yes, she does.

"Besides," Keir, one of the eavesdroppers, said, grinning, "You've made me a hefty profit! Alright, people, pay up! One day and it was Rhona who had to tell him. Four coppers each, please."

There were grumbles all around, but hands reached into coin pouches and handed over the money. Keir gathered them, his grin widening with every clink of the coins.

Winnings in, he nudged Callum's arm with his elbow. "The next tavern we come to, your drink is on me. Only fair."

"You'd better be sure to hold up that promise," Rhona said. She nodded at Callum, "If he doesn't, come find me."

"No need for your veiled threats, Rhona," Keir said. Holding up his swollen coin pouch, he added, "If you're nice to me, I can always add in a round for you."

Rhona rolled her eyes. She raised her hand, letting the blue spirals of healing spells shine through her palm. "Keep that up and I won't help you the next time you overindulge and come to me complaining about your headache."

Keir's protests were interrupted a shout from Ada, who brought the march to a stop. Ahead, the forward scouts had returned and were conferring with Ada and Ash. After a moment, Ada turned in her saddle, left hand raised and gesturing at her soldiers. "Form up, half of the company on each side. Riders approaching, with prisoners in tow."

Callum joined the soldiers on the left of the road. When they were formed up, there was enough space for two horses to ride side-by-side through the channel of soldiers. Ada, Ash and Lachlan waited astride their horses in the middle of the road, effectively blocking any further movement until they chose to allow the newcomers onward passage. The scouts rode on ahead, joining up with the party now close enough for the rest of them to see and accompanying them back down the road.

The party resolved into seven riders. As they approached, the leading two raised a hand in greeting to Ada and Ash. Both bore the mark of the Royal Guard on their jerkins.

"Greetings, Lord Tam, Lady Morven," Ash called out as they newcomers neared. "You are the escorts?"

Tam nodded, "Yes, ma'am. Three presents Lord Foxby thought would please the King to have at court."

"And the rest?" Ash asked. "These three can't be the only prisoners Nathan took."

"No," said Morven. "Just the highest ranking. The rest were returned to the Agaithians. For a price, of course," she added, grinning.

"I should hope so," Ash said. She was silent a moment, then gestured at Tam and Morven and glanced at Lachlan. After a quick nod to Ada, who returned it, Ash led the three other riders off the road. They did not go far, but the distance was enough to put them out of even the enhanced earshot of a squadron of Wild mages.

Ada, as much to give her soldiers something to do as to keep them from attempting to eavesdrop on the group, gave the order to make camp. Even through the ensuing activity, Callum could not help casting glances over at the four. Whatever was being said was serious, if the expressions of Ash and Lachlan were anything to go by. When the group finally disbanded, only the two Royal Guards returned immediately to the camp. Ash and Lachlan remained. From the way Ash stood, and the way Lachlan paced, Callum knew they were arguing. Finally, with shoulders drooping, Lachlan nodded. Ash, though grim, appeared satisfied as she clasped his hand. The two returned to the rest of them, Ash's eyes roaming over the camp as she checked for trouble. Her eyes met Callum's, who immediately looked away, feeling his cheeks burn form the embarrassment of being caught.

The rumours swirled thicker than the smoke of the campfires that night. What had they been talking about? Why did Lachlan and Ash look so grim? And who were the prisoners?

Morning brought an answer to one of those questions. As the Guard and their charges prepared to leave, Ash and Lachlan joined them, with Lachlan leading his horse. They walked in silence, with the only sound either made a greeting to Tam and Morven. Ash and Lachlan embraced. Any words they spoke in farewell were too quiet to be overheard, but Lachlan was slow to end the embrace and mount his horse.

Ash watched them ride away, and Callum watched her, until Ada gave the call to pack up the camp. By the time they were ready to continue, Ash was her usual cheerful self, if only when she thought people were watching.

It was the crows that alerted Callum. There were five of them, circling overhead some distance from the road. If he were not so new to the soldiering lifestyle, he would probably have ignored them, as did everyone else in the troop. But he was new, and circling crows was still enough of a novelty for him to be curious.

Their behaviour was strange. As the column of soldiers drew closer, Callum realised that the small black dots were flying at two levels – two above, three below – and the lower birds were matching the upper ones perfectly. As Callum watched, one of the upper crows tried to dive down, only to be met by one of its shadows. Even from his distance, Callum could hear the furious, frenzied squawking that erupted when the two birds met.

"Have you ever seen crows do that?" Callum asked Rhona, who walked beside him.

Rhona turned her head in the direction Callum indicated. She was silent for a moment as she observed the crows. "No," she said, hesitantly. "I've seen crows circle often enough, but not like that. Usually, if they're fighting for their food, they do it at ground level."

"That's what I thought," Callum said. "Do you think Ada will let us investigate?"

Rhona regarded him. "If I go with you, she will."

"Will you?"

Rhona sighed. "Fates help me, yes. Although you'll owe me for the extra walking you're making me do."

Callum grinned. "Fair enough."

Together, they broke from their place in the march and jogged to the front. As they ran, they picked up Keir, who never liked to be left out.

At the head of the line, Ada and Ash walked, leading their horses as they gave the beasts a break from their weight. Both were watching as Callum, Keir and Rhona approached, their curiosity plain.

"What are you three up to?" Ada asked as they approached.

"The crows over there," Callum said, pointing, "are behaving strangely. We'd like to investigate."

"Would you now," Ada said. She raised a hand above her eyes, gazing towards the crows. Ash mirrored her movements.

"They are acting peculiarly," Ash said, softly.

Ada glanced at her. "You want to go with them, don't you?"

Ash laughed. "You know me too well."

Sighing, Ada nodded. "Very well. Clearly, I'm outvoted. We'll continue on as we are. Try to get back to us before dusk; the last thing I need is to send out scouts to find you in the dark."

"Don't worry," Ash said, "We'll be back before you even know we're gone."

Ada rolled her eyes. "That would be a first."

Handing her reins to Ada, Ash grinned.

"You will be careful," Ada said, glaring at each of them. "There's a village not far from here. In this part of the country... well, you all know how appreciative they'll be if they learn of your gifts."

Rhona and Keir nodded, while Callum gulped. I wonder how far away the nearest lake is?

The hike to the crows went quickly enough. Though the land here was lightly wooded, the terrain was flat, making the going easy. They spoke a little, but it was mainly Keir and Ash doing the talking. Rhona was not one for unnecessary speech, and a frog appeared in Callum's throat every time he tried to speak to Ash. He wanted to say something comforting to her, considering that he was sure the parting with her husband had come hard, but nothing he thought of seemed smart enough, so he stayed quiet. Luckily, Keir did more than enough talking for the rest of them.

The crow's cawing grew louder as they approached. When they were finally close enough for the harsh sounds to resolve into something intelligible, all three Wild mages came to a halt.

Mine.

Not.

Hungry.

Go away

Food.

Not food.

Around and around the exchange went, only pausing when one of the higher crows tried to pierce the barrier the lower crows had created.

Callum glanced at his friends, seeing his own shock mirrored on their faces.

"What is it?" Ash asked, looking from Wild mage to Wild mage. Her frustration at her inability to understand was evident in the thin-lipped frown she bestowed on Callum when he met her gaze.

"I don't... I'm not sure," he said.

"Whatever it is, I think you were right to want to investigate," Z said. Her voice was strained, her eyes still following the endless circling of the crows.

"Then let's keep moving," Ash said. "I want to find out what all the trouble is."

When they reached the clearing and saw the source of the crows' agitation, Callum wished he were better at ignoring his gut.

"Blessed Síoch," Rhona whispered, her face paling rapidly.

Callum forced his feet forward. His blood roared in his ears, and time seemed to slow as he walked to the centre of the clearing. He was dimly aware of the others around him, but the scene before him drew all of his attention.

Rhona was the first to reach the centre. She knelt, a hand gently placed on the chest of the two children who lay, too still, on the grass. Callum stopped, watching as the soft light spilled from Rhona's palms into each child. It was impossible to take the scene in, but he could not look away. Instead, he focused on the details: on the churned earth that surrounded them, marking the passage of a crowd bent on righteousness; on the thick birch stake driven into the ground, and on the dull metal of the chains that wrapped its base. Chains that snaked over the grass, coming to a stop at the circlet of metal that wrapped each ankle. The dull of the metal entranced him – in the low light of the coming evening, it almost looked purple.

"They're alive."

The words were jarring in the silence that permeated the clearing. Callum's head snapped up, focusing on Rhona. "What?"

Rhona looked back at him. "They're alive. One of you, give me your water. They're badly dehydrated."

All three of them stepped forward in unison, hands going to belts to unhook the waterskins that hung there. Rhona, suddenly finding herself with three choices, took Callum's from him. Gently, she lifted one child, a girl, pulled the stopper, and put the skin to her lips.

"Drink, little one," Rhona said, "You're safe now."

Ash knelt beside the second child. The boy opened his eyes as she moved him, and cringed away as he realised he had company.

"Hush, lad," Ash said, "You're safe. Drink this."

The boy grasped the waterskin and gulped. Ash grabbed the skin, pulling away from him just enough to remove the danger.

"Slowly! Don't go choking yourself, now. That's it."

The boy slowed down, sipping carefully. Ash nodded her approval.

Beside Callum, Keir was searching through a small bag. He grinned and pulled out two thin metal rods. Keir nodded at Callum and jerked his head in the direction of the children.

"Want to give me a hand? I think I can get them free in no time."

Callum nodded.

As the boy was more alert, they started with him.

"Hi, lad," Keir said, "We're going to get that chain off you. Callum here is going to need to hold your ankle still for me. Will you let him?"

Not letting go of the water, the boy nodded. Keir and Callum did not wait for further encouragement and knelt beside him. Following Keir's directions, Callum gently held the boy's left ankle, turning it slightly so that Keir would have better access to the locking mechanism. Keir knelt beside him, carefully inserted the two metal rods into the lock, and started jiggling them. After a minute or so, a soft click announced Keir's success, and the manacle fell open. Keir carefully removed it. Callum's jaw tightened as he saw the raw skin beneath, but neither man commented. Instead, Callum released the boy's left leg, and turned to repeat the process with his right. Within ten minutes, both children were free.

Once Y finished unlocking the last manacle, he straightened. Catching his eye, Callum said, "Never thought I'd be glad to know someone who can pick locks."

Keir smiled grimly. "It has its uses."

Both children were sitting up unsupported now, and Rhona had found some morsels of food for them. It was far from enough, but more would have to wait until they returned to the army.

"I don't understand why anyone would leave children out here like this," Ash said. Her voice was controlled, but there was an undercurrent to it that caused Callum, Rhona and Keir to turn to her.

"They're Wild mages," Callum said, his voice like gravel in a throat that had been dry since the moment he stepped foot into the clearing.

"They're children," Ash said.

"They're monsters."

All four adults turned sharply to the source of the new voice. A woman, stepped out of the trees, coming from the opposite direction to the one Callum and the others had come from. As the woman came towards them, followed reverentially by her onlookers, Ash stepped forward to meet her. Callum went with her, though he kept a respectful step back. Rhona remained with the children, while Keir, hand resting lightly on his sword hilt, stepped forward to place himself between the two groups. With everyone in place, the clearing fell silent.

The woman, standing straight and proud, was the first to break the silence. "Strangers you may be, and ignorant of our ways, but you have no right to interfere with our justice. Leave now, peacefully, and we will allow you to continue on your way." She glowered at them. When no one gave any signs of backing down, her frown deepened.

Callum stepped forward. He did not know what he planned to do, but if the Fates had any sense of justice, they would show him what to do soon enough.

The Fates, apparently, had other ideas.

Ash's hand swung out, catching him hard in the stomach.

"Patience, Callum," she whispered, her eyes never leaving the villagers in front. Louder, she said, "Alderwoman, I appreciate you have your customs, and your preferred methods of execution. But I would be amiss in my duty if I did not remind you that children are not eligible for a death sentence."

"Murderers are exempted from that law," the alderwoman said. Her thin lips rose slightly. Callum's hand clenched, forming a tight fist that drove nails hard into his skin. That righteous smile. Callum's nightmares were plagued by identical smiles.

"Murderers?" Ash said, not bothering to hide her contempt of that charge. "These two can't be more than, what, ten years old?"

A twitch of the alderwoman's eye confirmed her guess.

"Who is it you claim these two ten-year-olds killed?"

"Their parents," the alderwoman said, "and four other villagers besides." Her last words were all but lost in the angry, indignant, fearful exclamations that were rising from her audience.

Ash waited for the noise to die down. "And what evidence do you have that two children were responsible for the deaths of six adults?"

"They returned, covered in the blood of their victims," the alderwoman said. "They returned, possessed and crying out in tongues no decent human could ever utter." She was rising to a crescendo and was turning slowly on the spot in order to acknowledge the audience that simmered behind her.

Somewhere, in the small part of Callum's mind that was not being overrun by hate and fury, he could not help but be impressed with the alderwoman's stagecraft. It was an exceptional performance.

"They returned, seeking to turn our sympathies against us, but we saw them for the monsters they truly are. Look!" and she whirled, coming to a stop with her right arm raised, index finger piercing the sky, "Look," she repeated, "Síoch's creatures mark them as the death-bringers they are!"

She turned back to face Ash, her expression almost jubilant at the response she had induced from her people. Her smile faded a little as she took in Ash. She stood, arms crossed, foot tapping, and expression marshalled into one of neutral politeness; Ash was clearly not in the least taken in by the alderwoman's theatrics, and the alderwoman knew it.

"That's all well and good," Ash said, "but do you have any evidence?"

Callum fought back the laugh that threatened as he watched the alderwoman deflate in the face of Ash's indifference.

Silence drifted through the clearing again. Ash waited a few moments, to give the alderwoman a chance to come up with a better excuse. When none came, she shrugged. "Oh, well, that's that then. If you have nothing, beyond superstition and fear, I mean, then we will be on our way. With the children."

She turned, not bothering to give the alderwoman the compliment of a farewell and, gesturing at Keir and Rhona, walked back towards the children.

The alderwoman strode forward and came to an abrupt halt as she slammed into Callum's chest.

"How dare you, you - " she started.

Callum smiled mildly. "If you have an issue with the Lady's approach, you're more than welcome to take it up with her father." His smile widened, showing a few too many teeth to be truly considered friendly. "I'm sure His Majesty would love to hear of your grievances with his daughter."

The alderwoman stared at him, mouth opening and closing as she tried to find her words.

Behind him, Ash called, "Come, Callum. We're leaving."

"Of course, Your Highness," Callum said. "It's been a pleasure, Alderwoman," he added, bowing mockingly low. He straightened, took a step backwards once, twice and then three times. When he was as sure as he could be that the villagers were not going to come after them immediately and that Ash and the others had something of a head start, he turned and strode after them.

He did not run until he was back in the cover of the trees.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 27 32
Angels and demons, the classic dichotomy of good and evil. It's easy to leave it at that, but have you ever met one or the other? If you could, would...
59.4K 4.3K 145
(1ST BOOK OF THE GODLY CHILD SERIES) A child grew up in relative peace surrounded by people like her... Or so she thought. She will learn she is far...
220 45 19
What if dreams really could come true? What if fairy tales could come true? And you will become their main character? Once a girl named Aislinn had a...
70 4 25
Rhenyan has been through a lot. Being the only Master of magic in existence will do that to a person. He and his trobah, Auroya, pride themselves on...