Invisible Line in Between

By nininininaaa

[NEW CLASSIC SERIES #1] Meet the lead vocalist of New Classic, Isaiah Kalen Mallari. A #Wattys2020 Winner sto... More

Invisible Line in Between
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Invisible Line in Between (Self-Pub)
New Classic Lyrics Booklet

Chapter 33

81.5K 3.5K 608
By nininininaaa

#NewClassicILIB

Chapter 33
Initials

There was a lot of tension in the air, but I managed to sit still and maintain my composure in front of these intimidating people from Top Star Records.

After the press con yesterday, just a few minutes later, I received replies from Isaiah, then followed by a new message from Mr. Joel.

From: Isaiah
You don't have to apologize for anything. I was the one who came to you last night. It's my fault. I was careless.

From: Isaiah
And don't worry about it anymore. I got this. Trust me.

Isaiah was kind and responsible enough to take all the blame, when I knew I also had my fair share of faults. I knew he sent those messages to give me assurance, but I didn't feel relieved one bit. I was like a damsel in distress, and it wasn't something I should feel good about.

It was exactly the reason why I accepted Mr. Joel's invitation when he summoned me to Top Star Records the next day. However, I did not expect that the higher ups of the management would also be present in the meeting. Though I should have expected it already, since the meeting's venue was located at the conference room.

The President and Vice President of the recording company were both in front of me, along with Mr. Joel. I was the only one on the other side of the table. It felt like going to the battlefield alone.

Narealize kong talagang napakalaki na ng pangalan ng banda dahil mismong ang mga namumuno ng kompanya ang makikipag-usap sa akin ngayon. They were looking at me like a big threat to the continuous rise of New Classic's popularity. Although I couldn't blame them because I had read the reactions of the fans yesterday.

Most of the fans were so disappointed and hurt when the news came up. They bombarded Isaiah with posts, asking him to apologize or explain the issue. A few were insensitive and went overboard by wanting him to leave the group. On the other hand, the mature ones were trying to educate the others, but they still wouldn't listen. Their irrational thinking got the best of them.

However, after Isaiah's explanation, the fans reactions had turned 180 degrees. Ang mga nagalit kay Isaiah ay biglang humingi ng tawad sa kanya. Most of them deleted their posts as they were suddenly afraid that they might hurt his feelings. They sent him encouraging words. They took the issue as a joke and created memes about it. The hypocrisy of toxic fans reeked that it irritated me so much.

I wanted to create war with them, but I wouldn't let myself stoop down to their level. I also didn't want to waste time. No matter what I do, I knew they would refuse to listen anyway.

"Zendaya, right?" The middle-aged man in the middle began speaking, once we were settled down. "Can we address you as Zendaya?"

"Sure. No problem po," tipid kong sagot.

"So, Mr. Joel briefed us about you..." he trailed a bit and glanced at Mr. Joel.

Mr. Joel gave me a comforting smile. Siguro ay gusto niyang maging kumportable ako.

"He told us that you started as the president of the fandom," he stated. "That's how you got to know Isaiah."

That statement was false because I got to know him years ago, when New Classic didn't exist yet. But I didn't go through that detail anymore. Hindi naman na nila kailangang malaman pa ang tungkol doon.

"Apparently, you two got close to each other and became close friends," he continued. "And I'm sure you're aware of the issue which exploded yesterday."

Tumango ako. "I'm aware po."

"It fueled a massive outrage from the fans of New Classic," the woman, who is the Vice President of Top Star, added. "The dating issue almost cost them their whole hard-earned career and popularity. As a fan, I know you don't want to see the band you love get ruined, right?"

Biting my lower lip, I nodded. I couldn't deny that. It was the exact reason why I came here.

"We actually talked to Isaiah yesterday, Zendaya." Si Mr. Joel ngayon ang kumausap sa akin. "We think he's not really taking the issue seriously. We asked him to put a distance between the two of you, while he was still being watched by all the media, but he said there's no need for that and he'd just be more careful instead."

My heart painfully wrenched to hear that he refused to distance himself away from me. I should be happy, but it hurt. He didn't want to do something that I was about to do.

"We won't beat around the bush," the President said. "We hope that you'd cooperate with us. You don't need to totally cut your connection to Isaiah. We respect your friendship. But we just want you to avoid meeting up him for some time. At least, until the media's done keeping their eyes on him. He's still under fire because of the dating issue. The media would surely watch his every move and take every opportunity they could get to rekindle the issue."

"You have to understand that the media is trying to bring New Classic down because of their immense popularity," the Vice President explained the situation. "And as the one handling the band, I'd be honest and frank with you, we can't afford to have the band undergo any kind of negative issue. Not when they are at the top of their game."

"Naiindintihan ko po," mahina kong sabi, medyo namamaos ang boses.

Falling into deep thoughts, I bowed my head a bit.

To be honest, I had already thought about these things last night. I couldn't sleep properly, thinking about Isaiah and the band. Their career was at stake. And just like what the Vice President told me earlier, I'm their fan. I didn't want to see them get ruined.

I promised myself before that I would do anything for the sake of the band. It's now the time to prove myself and keep my promise. It's the least I could for the band―and especially for Isaiah.

Blowing out a deep breath, I slowly looked up and stared straight at Mr. Joel. "I want to quit as the admin of New Classic, Mr. Joel."

Mr. Joel eyes widened slightly. "H-ha?"

I didn't know why he was still surprised. Of course, I had to quit because Isaiah and I would surely keep on meeting if I kept the position.

"I need to quit to avoid meeting up with Isaiah, especially during their events," I explained. "And to be honest, magiging busy po ako sa paghahanap ng trabaho. Hindi ko po sigurado kung kaya kong mapagsabay ang pagiging admin habang ginagamay ko pa ang magiging trabaho ko."

Mukhang doon lamang nalinawan si Mr. Joel. "Noted." Tumango-tango siya. "Sasabihan ko na lang din si Dawn tungkol sa desisyon mo."

I just nodded back, even though there was no need for him to do that. I already talked to Dawn last night. Akala niya pa nga ay isa ako sa mga gustong iwanan ang banda dahil sa naging issue ni Isaiah. Nang malaman niya ang dahilan ko, naintindihan niya naman. Though on the other hand, she said she still didn't have plans to find a full-time job and would only work as a freelancer until she's finally ready.

"Does that mean that you'll cooperate with us, Zendaya?" the President wanted to assure himself.

"Yes po," I answered right away. "I know the possible consequences of such issues to the band. And as their fan, if there's something I could do to help them, I would gladly lend a hand."

They all looked relieved after I said that. The President and Vice President left the conference room first as they still had meetings to attend to, while Mr. Joel escorted me to the lobby.

"Pasensya na ulit at kailangan mong gawin 'to, Zendaya," mahinang sabi ni Mr. Joel nang nasa elevator na kami. "Alam kong nagiging malapit na kayo ni Isaiah. Kaya lang ay grabe talaga ang naging reaksyon ng fans."

Pilit akong ngumiti kay Mr. Joel. "Ayos lang po," sabi ko. "Gaya ninyo pong lahat, I just also want what's the best for the band." Even if it meant that I had to be hard on myself.

Mr. Joel nodded his head. "But about your privacy, don't worry," he suddenly said. "Isaiah made sure that your privacy won't be invaded. If ever anyone violated your rights, the company will take legal actions for you. That's what Isaiah requested yesterday during the meeting."

Feeling a bit surprised, I was taken aback. He made a statement about it during the live press con yesterday, but I didn't expect that he brought the matter up to his company.

Once we were out of the lift, Mr. Joel tapped my right shoulder lightly. "Take care, Zendaya," he said with a smile. "See you when I see you."

I wryly smiled back and absentmindedly walked out of the company.

It was difficult trying to avoid Isaiah. I had a hard time coming up with excuses just to push him away. Since Mr. Joel said that Isaiah didn't want to cooperate with them, I decided not to tell him my own plans because it might spoil everything. Also, I didn't totally cut my connection with him. I would still occasionally answer his messages to avoid suspicion.

But honestly, what made it hard for me to completely avoid him was my own desire to see his face in person. It was difficult to keep myself from wanting him. Itwas like I was depriving myself of my own happiness.

Fortunately, I was out of town for the whole week as I went on a vacation in Siargao. Iyon ang hiniling ko kay Kuya Zedrick. Nothing much happened, though. I didn't really enjoy the vacation as I had this mindset that I was only doing it to distance myself away from Isaiah. I took it as an easier way out―even if it was only for a short time.

And as soon as I was back in the metro, I busied myself with driving lessons with daddy and job hunting. Halos araw-araw ata akong umaalis ng bahay para maghanap ng trabaho. I passed a lot of curricula vitae and did a lot of interviews. Ilang beses na rin akong natanggap, but I wasn't satisfied with the job offers.

Mabuti na lang din at kasabay noon ay medyo naging busy si Isaiah sa banda. He said that they were preparing for something. Hindi niya nga lang sinabi kung ano 'yon at hindi na rin ako nag-abala pang magtanong.

My eyes shot wide open when I saw an unfamiliar black sedan parked outside our house. I just came from a contract signing with the company of my choice. I was hired as a junior entertainment journalist. The wage and benefits were satisfying, so I finally took the offer.

Cautiously, I walked inside our house. Mas lalo akong nawindang nang makita ko kung sino ang nasa aming tanggapan kasama ni daddy. And when I arrived, his eyes immediately drifted on mine.

I had not only seen him for days, but it already felt like years. I never knew how much I longed to see him again until now. It felt like there was an emotional weight which had been lifted from my shoulders. The weariness vanished in an instant, making it seem like his presence brought me to life.

"Isaiah..." I uttered his name in surprise.

Isaiah immediately flashed an innocent smile. He looked so glad to see me, while he had no idea that I had been avoiding him for the past weeks.

"Oh, nandyan na pala si Zendaya." Humalakhak si daddy. "Maiwan ko muna kayong dalawa."

Nang makaalis si daddy ay lumapit sa akin si Isaiah. Nanatili naman ako sa aking kinatatayuan.

Once he was near, he cocked his head on one side, curiously looking at me with concern in his gentle eyes. "You look tired..." he commented.

"Bakit ka nandito?" Iyon ang mga salitang lumabas sa aking labi at nabahala sa pagpunta niya rito sa amin. "Someone might see you!"

Creases appeared on his forehead. "I was very careful on my way here. No paparrazzi were following me," he reasoned out. "And I brought a different car with me."

Hindi ako nagsalita. I was still worried that someone might be following him in secrecy. Baka akala niya lang ay wala, ngunit baka bukas ay may panibagong isyu na lilitaw na makakasira sa imahe niya at ng banda.

"Are you okay, Zendaya?" He sounded so concerned and worried. "Is there something bothering you?"

His suspicion made me snap out of my paranoid thoughts. Doing my best to act normal, I smiled and shook my head.

"I'm sorry..." I apologized, sounding tired. "Napagod lang talaga ako."

With his tender eyes brimming with concern, he softly asked, "Is job hunting really that hard?"

He's buying my excuse! He's falling for it!

Tipid akong tumango. "Medyo..." sabi ko na lang.

He shifted on his stance and nodded. "If that's the case, I won't bother you now."

Hearing him backing down brought me a sense of relief, but at the same time, it gave me a strange feeling. I averted my eyes uncomfortably under his lingering gaze, afraid that he might see me through.

"I'll go now," he told me, then smiled. "Make sure you get enough rest, alright?"

Forcing myself to return his genial smile, I lifted the corners of my lips slightly.

Nang makita ang aking ngiti ay mas lalong naging malambot ang kanyang tingin sa akin. "You don't have to walk me out. Just go straight to your room."

Muli akong tumango sa kanya. Pinanood ko siyang umalis ng aming bahay. I badly wanted him to stay, but I already gave my word. Kaya naman ay tahimik na lamang akong umakyat sa aking kuwarto nang may mabigat na kalooban. Pagkatapos maligo at magpalit ng pantulog ay lumabas ako, planong bumaba sa kusina para kumain ng hapunan bago matulog.

And just as I was about to go out of my room, I heard soft knocks from the door. Dumiresto ako agad sa pintuan para buksan iyon.

Gulat ako nang makita si daddy na malapad ang ngiti. He showed me a paper bag of takeaway from a famous restaurant chain.

"Delivery just for you," he said, then passed me down the paper bag.

Kumabog ang aking puso. "Kanino po galing?"

Daddy didn't say anything. He just shrugged his shoulders and smiled meaningfully.

Dala-dala ang pagkain, tumuloy ako sa pagbaba sa kusina. I opened the paper bag and saw that there was a note inside. I quickly pulled it out to read the message.

Eat first before you rest.
―I.K.M.

The same initials on the smiley guitar pick flashed back inside my head.

I.K.M., which stands for Isaiah Kalen Mallari.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 9.4K 53
(COMPLETED) Morgan Grace is sure as hell that she found the love of her life, pakiramdam nya pinagpala sya ni kupido dahil ang long time crush nya pa...
2.8K 106 51
an epistolary ; hanna and yael
77.2K 413 34
ROM-COM โ€ผ๏ธโ€ผ๏ธโ€ผ๏ธ Si Beverly Hans Gonzaga ay isang Fashion Designer slash Model sa Europe. Paglipas ng mahabang Taon ay ngayon na lamang ito uuwi ng Pil...