𝐒𝐔𝐆𝐄 |short story (Mj)βœ”οΈŽ

De sellibeau

|won best short story 2020| Michael is the CEO of a successful business organization who earns millions annua... Mais

Cast
|Prelude|
1| One Time
2| Rings
3|Meddler
4|Ivory/plans
5|Relations
6|Affair
7|Sweet Wine
9|Negotiation
10| Arias Co.-the end

8|Wreck

766 36 389
De sellibeau

Aɪɴ'ᴛ ʙᴜsɪɴᴇss ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ᴍᴏɴᴇʏ, ʙᴀʙʏ

Omniscient~

      Michael was in his bed. Fast asleep. The only time a human is truly at peace. His soft breathing vibrated against the pillow he laid his head on and he was nearly drooling and in such a wonderful sleep until he heard his car alarm start to go off and echos of something being smashed.

His eyes opened instantly and he sat up, rubbing his eyes before running his hands through his messy curls. "What the fuck." He muttered under his breath as he eased out of his bed which surprisingly had no woman on the cold side of the bed and he stood to his feet, grabbing a t-shirt from his closet to go see what's happening outside.

His feet gracefully hit his black marble floors as he made no effort to wear shoes or socks—too tired and agitated to even do so and he disarmed his security alarm and opened the front door, meeting eyes with the early morning sky.

What he saw was Naomi Jackson herself, smashing one of his precious black cars with a baseball bat with all her strength.

"Are you serious?" He said to nobody in specifics and walked closer to her, but it didn't make her stop . "Naomi what the fuck are you doing outside my house?" He questioned her. "It's 6am!"

"You're a cheater, you're a liar, you're nothing!" She spat with venom as she raised the bat in her hands and smashed one of his windows. Numerous dents were already in the car and it didn't look as pretty as before..

"What are you-" he paused when he was about to step closer to her as there were pieces of glass on his driveway due to the damage of his windows. "Naomi I swear-"

"What?" She asked, standing straight as she stood on the top of the car. She stared at him challengingly. "You don't deserve this?" She asked, connecting the bat to the roof of his car.

The security at his house is not heavy, meaning he doesn't have to be guarded like he's president and usually needs them just when he's at work or in the evening due to previous years of random people trespassing. They weren't here right now but can show up at the snap of a finger.

"You were arrested Naomi." He emphasized, referring to the whole poison scandal against Geneva. She shook her head and stood straight again, resting the bat face down, leaning her weight onto it. "Not for long. It was a weak sentencing. The waiter I ordered to put the damn poison in the drink was more penalized than me."

His eyes narrowed. "That makes no sense. Get the fuck off my property." He wasn't even enraged by the fact that his car is now wrecked. He has many others and can easily buy a new one. He's made of money.

"I have my ways, Michael." She hissed, matching the words he'd say to others. She had completely lost her mind—but he was easy on her.

He understood Naomi's anger. She loved him and the reason she's doing all of this is because so. "We were so happy." She shook her head. "All of a sudden...when you attained your father's business-"

"I didn't attain anything." He shook his head at her, holding out a finger. "That building and business is mine. I built it Naomi. You think I just took something from my father and chose to ignore you but that ain't the case. It's a lot of work."

She kissed her teeth and rolled her eyes. "So you're saying our marriage went down the drain because you became too busy with your stupid business?"

His teeth gritted against each other and he was already done with conversation. They've had it many times. "Naomi you have your own business too. You're busy too! So it ain't only my fault. I'm married to my work and so are you. We aren't meant for each other." He said

His words made her even more angry, making her connect the bat to the car again as he stared at her blankly. He pulled out his phone and called up his security on the woman.

He thought she'd be locked up for a while after the whole incident at the gala dinner but he knows she's just as powerful as him when it comes to courts and making business. It's a skill they both acquired.

"It would- be better- for this bat- to be hitting your face right now-but this'll have to do!" She said in between hitting his car with tiring grunts. She's worn herself out finally and at this point he thought she'd stop.

He was calm now, but the second she hops off this car and heads over to another he's gonna have to throw her out—literally.

Moments later, black cars showed up behind his gate and he opened it, allowing them to take Naomi away who was still yelling complete nonsense in the distance.

"Sir, are you sure you don't want a restraining order on that woman? She's gone ballistic." Bill, one of Michael's security said to him and Michael shook his head. "Nah she's good. I'm letting her get her anger out. I'll justify my actions this way." He replied

Bill looked back and shrugged. "Whatever you say."

And before going back inside, Michael leaned into Bill's ear. "I'm gonna need security at night and possibly 'til morning now." He lowly said, making Bill nod his head and head on out. "We'll have this car taken care for you too."

Michael glanced at his watch seeing it's now 7am. He spent a minute too long situating the complete craziness happening outside. "So much for some damn sleep." He muttered. He has to start heading to his office today. He has another meeting.

He slipped on his usual black suit jacket with a dark purple button up inside. His pants matched his suit, a nice ebony to match the theme of his building as always. Once again, he had no appetite for breakfast and just opened his fridge to get a yogurt and was out the door.

He didn't need chefs and cleaning ladies roaming around his house. He lived there with the absence of Naomi so there's not much to cook or clean since he's just tending for himself. No kids, no other family to bother him throughout the day that would require maintenance.

He could just eat when he gets to his workplace.

The drive there was uneasy. Sure he still saw his face on billboards on his way there but the hype wasn't there anymore and he wasn't sure why. He was a proud man just a few months ago and now his business is slowly "flopping"

Ever since he stormed out of the interview with Hilary and Janet rose to fame, his life was indescribable.

He opened the doors of his building that thankfully wasn't surrounded by paparazzi and glanced at the busy atmosphere.

"Karen." He muttered, passing her as she sat at the big desk by the entrance. "Michael." She muttered back the same way.

There was a lot of hostility in the air.

Pretty much everyone knew of Geneva Arias' promotion and they were genuinely confused. She was now being paid more and other things not revealed to their knowledge.

He glanced to his left, where the TVs were. There are mini TVs placed neatly on the walls in the lobby showing mainly commercials, advertisements and anything relating to Michael's corporation.

But when he saw Janet's face-

"What's this?" He asked pointing to the TV that showed Janet in an interview with Hilary. He heard some of the conversation and how she mentioned how she's so glad her business is growing and how successful it already is.

Ms. Jenson, a worker, happened to be walking past him at that very moment but was stopped abruptly by him. "Why the fuck am I seeing Janet's face on my TV and not my own?" He asked and cowered a bit just as Destiny would do

"It was uh...already on that channel sir-"

"Change it!"

"Yes of course." She scrambled to find the remotes to change it but he wasn't here long enough to witness the change of the channel.

It angered him to the core seeing someone other than him on that TV. In his own "successful" building.

He met Destiny on his way to the elevator just like every morning and she handed him his coffee. "Good morning Mr. Jackson." She smiled

"It really isn't but continue." He muttered, sipping the coffee she handed him and she nodded with a smile anyway. "You have a busy day I'm afraid sir. They're awaiting you in the meeting room sir and after that there's just a ton of paperwork to be done." She rambled all in one quick sentence and he nodded

"Thank you, Destiny." He nodded once they exited the elevator and prepared to show himself on the room where the same men who threatened to restrict his contract with them sat comfortably and patiently. He had a month to get this business rolling again all due to the hands of: Geneva.

He cleared his throat and straightened out his suit as Destiny had slipped away and he opened the door. To his dismay, Geneva was already there, looking over paper work with them.

She looked up and locked eyes with him. She showed a polite smile. "Oh..Mr. Jackson." She tripped over her words. "They called me in to discuss some things without you. I hope that's fine with you." She said

His eye twitched and he was about to mouth her off but was interrupted. "Mr. Jackson your assistant here showcased some nice ideas for your company. It's impeccable. Find me an assistant like her." He smiled

Michael faked a smile. "Assistant?" He asked

He had forgotten that they still think Geneva is his assistant as opposed to Destiny who's always running all over the building in a nervous wreck to get things together. They would have never suspected her to be his professional assistant.

"Yes assistant and she's doin' a hell of a job at it." He said. The man was impressed.

Michael's eye twitched one more time before just closing the door behind him and letting out a forceful and refreshed sigh. "Yes. She sure is." He tightly said, taking a seat beside her.

Mr. Nixon, the man overly impressed with Geneva's presence, folded his hands before him and raised a professional brow staring at Michael who was almost in discomfort sitting by Geneva again.

"Now we're here again to discuss business again like last time. I've brought some people with me to help us with this deal-"

Michael tuned out his words and glanced at Geneva who had her hand rested on her cheek, leaned in and clearly fascinated with their words. Her fingers tapped lightly against the table and she was content and relaxed.

She felt his stare and once again—didn't mind the spotlight.

"We like the ideas Ms. Arias proposed but we feel it doesn't quite match what we're showcasing to the public right now. But it's a great idea for the future." Nixon's voice rung back into earshot as Michael focused his attention towards them again.

"And what about the ideas Mr. Jackson has proposed?" A woman, who sat next to Nixon, said and all their eyes landed on Michael.

"Well Mr. Jackson, we're ready to hear your contributions." Nixon smiled and Geneva turned her head to Michael and stared at him just as intensely as everyone else.

He looked around and cursed. "Shit." He muttered loud enough for everyone to hear.

He had misplaced his briefcase.

He sighed and placed his thumb and pointer on the bridge of his nose. "Look, I've had a crazy morning. I forgot it at my house." He said.

The funny thing is, he had not written down anything for this meeting in preparation. It slipped his mind.

Months prior, he was in top of that stuff. He was full of great ideas for his company and was passionate. Nixon and the people he brought in are starting to see he's slipping like a high school student falling behind on their grades.

Nixon looked around nervously. "W-well I'm sure you have some things off the top of your head. It's your company after all. You should have some type of contribution."

Michael froze. For the first time in his years of being CEO he had nothing to say or contribute. He wasn't in the mood nor the condition to make decisions, act as the main point of communication or in other words—do his job.

Geneva cleared her throat. "Like I said, sir, give it a month and we'll talk decisions and business. Mr. Jackson here is just a bit tired. He's having some marital issues, y'know?" She said.

Mr. Nixon's face almost softened. "I'm sure things are hard. Thank you for that, Ms. Arias." He nodded and looked back at the other people with him.

Mr. Nixon is the chairman of Michael's company. He is a man with striking grey hair and a boisterous speaking voice. He's in his late thirties but his silver hair makes other say otherwise although his face is young. He holds more power over Michael at times and at this moment he is not impressed.

Michael sat still in his chair as their low voices proceeded to whisper and discuss things before Nixon looked up with a tight smile as the others left the room.

"Michael, a word please?" He muttered glancing at Geneva as she just smiled at him, making him smile back at her but it was brief.

"What the hell was that? You know that was the board right? They have more authority over the both of us combined!" He whisper yelled dramatically as a Michael rubbed his forehead in a stressed manner. "I know."

"How could you forget your briefcase? That thing could've had some contributions they were lookin' for for today. It was pretty embarrassing sitting here with one big pile of nothin'."

"I could've sworn I had that briefcase with me today. I bring it everywhere."

"It isn't even about the briefcase anymore, Jackson. Get your shit together or you'll be replaced. The board is in love with this company and they have no problem replacing you to further continue it. You hear me?" Nixon nearly gritted as Michael rolled his eyes and nodded his head.

"Alright then." Nixon looked back up from leaning into a very disclosed conversation with Michael and landed his eyes on Geneva who sat casually in the background in her seat, picking at her nails.

"Have a good day then." He smiled and waved at Geneva as she waved back and as soon as he left, Michael glared over at Geneva and stood her up by her arm.

"Mr. Jack-" she was interrupted by him walking her out of the room and into the hallway to be out of the conference room for some time. "What did I tell you about interfering?" He gritted at her and she furrowed her brows

"Interfering?" She asked, placing a hand to her chest. "I bought you more time again, Michael."

"Quit calling me that and quit charming the board. This is my business and quite frankly not your place to interfere. You're not my assistant-"

"But having them think that has done us well so far, sir." She replied.

He paused and knew she was right but didn't want to admit it. "I don't care. Stay in your damn place or I'll demote you." He threatened and he expected her to sadden or change her attitude but she just grinned in return.

"Yes, sir." She replied. He squinted his eyes at her and looked around as people began to stare at the two standing unusually close to each other on the sleek hallway floors.

He grabbed her arm and discreetly dragged her into the janitors' closet to be completely out of public eye. "Mr. Jackson is it such a good idea being in here? We wouldn't anyone to see or hear us now would we?" She asked

He leaned in very close to her, almost as if he were to kiss her and she didn't move back but stood as still as a statue. "I don't care who sees and who hears." He lowly muttered into her ear. "I'm letting you know—in private—that you're nothing, Ms. Arias. That promotion I gave you was to get you to shut up, you hear? My business will rise up sooner or later.

"Don't feel special and higher than the others because you got a raise-" he was interrupted by her voice

"And a higher position, but go on." She added

He sighed inwardly and rolled his eyes. "Don't think I'm fond of you because you saved my business some time. I can still fire you at the snap of my finger. You're promoted, congrats, but humble yourself, Arias." He told her and she grinned in return again

"Whatever you say, Michael." She replied.

He stepped back from his closeness of her and almost had the urge to do her right in this closet. She was a beautiful woman and showed her beauty everyday. It wasn't easy not looking at Geneva in places where a man who's not her man should look.

"May I leave now, sir?" She asked and he nodded. "Don't make things look too obvious." He warned her.

"Never that." She replied and opened the door, her hips swaying in her tight pencil skirt that Michael would kill to lift up and have his way with her—but he kept his distance.

Geneva~

I swiftly walked out of the janitor's closet remembering the times we had in there. It was fun.

I looked to my right, then I looked to my left and proceeded to walk down the slick ebony marble floors.

I came into view to my coworkers who were at the computers, simply answering phone calls, writing notes, doing whatever a first year is to do.

Linda was the first to spot me and instead of greeting me and going on and on about random things, she kept her mouth shut and looked almost annoyed or bothered by my presence.

Ysenia, who I'm sure wanted to quit just a few days ago, sat glaring at me as she took a bite of her Caesar salad before typing away on the computer in front of her.

"Morning, Geneva." Lucas said. His attitude was also different as opposed to Ysenia's who's is the same day by day: bitchy.

"Hi Lucas." I smiled back as I grabbed a bin from the shelf at the corner of the room and their brows all furrowed as soon as they saw me take my name tag from my area. "Watchu doin'?" Rocky asked

"Moving out." I simply said. They exchanged looks and I saw Ysenia suddenly smirk.

"Jackson fired you?" Lucas asked and I paused and furrowed my brows. "Oh, no." I laughed lightly. "I was promoted remember? I'm moving on to a higher position." I smiled

Ysenia's smirk disappeared

"Wait...I thought he just gave you a raise!" Rocky squeaked. "You're not gonna be workin' the computers and calls no more?" He asked

I'm no more an entry-level clerk. I'm not answering phone calls, organizing files, ordering supplies—any of that beginner stuff anymore. I've moved on.

I'm in the position of: The Middle and lower managers. I'll be in charge of smaller units of responsibility such as managing sales goals etc. That's it....for now

Good news for my lower coworkers: Ysenia, Linda, Lucas and Rocky, is that Mr. Jackson apparently allows for regular employees like them to help him come up with ideas for his company and manage economic development, which is unusual in the business world.

"No, I won't, Rocky." I shrugged. "But I'll still be in close range with y'all." I faked a pout. I could literally see the steam coming from Ysenia's ears. "That makes no sense." She placed her container of salad back onto her desk.

I pushed the pens, highlighters—everything that I used daily into the clear plastic bin in my hands. "What doesn't make sense?" I asked. I wasn't interested in her answer but I asked it just because.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes into the distance. "Like you don't know, bitch."

"Ysenia come on." Lucas splashed water onto the fire, making it worse. "What?" Her voice increased in volume. "It's exactly what I was saying the other day she's a snake. She's getting special treatment!"

I just stood there innocently as I gathered the files by my previous computer space. "Special treatment?" I asked and she narrowed her eyes at me. "Yes and don't try to act dumb."

"Geneva don't listen to her." Lucas waved her off and he didn't have to say that. I tuned her out a minute ago already.

"Have a good day, y'all." I swooned and turned my back to them, holding the bin in my hands as Ysenia's fussing never ended.

Sheesh.

I walked down the hallways and glanced to my left, seeing Destiny in Mr. Jackson's main office, placing a stack of papers on his desk. He wasn't in the room sooo I invited myself in.

As soon as I opened the door, she turned back and looked at me with a smile. "Hey, Ms. Arias." She said and I smiled back. "Hi, Destiny."

I placed the bin of my stuff onto a cushioned chair by the door and crossed my arms, standing still. "We're friends, right Des?" I said, using her nickname and she look flustered at first before quickly nodding her head.

"Oh for sure Ms. Arias."

"Call me Geneva." I waved her off. "Of course, Geneva."

"And friends give advice." I continued, tracing my fingers along the books stacked neatly in his bookshelf leaning on the wall. "Right?"

She suddenly smiled and her attention was fully on me. "I love advice, Geneva." She nodded.

I glided my tongue along my front teeth. "Well...I've been thinking, Des, you adore Janet Jackson, don't you?" I asked

She had the iPad that she often carried around—for notes and reminders—tightly pressed against her chest, hugging it with both of her arms. "Well..yes. I've been a fan of her company for the longest. Her and Mr. Jackson have been doing so well."

"You admit that she's doing much better in the workforce right now, right?" I asked her and she nodded. "Sadly, yeah. But I'm doing e-everything I can to get Mr. Jackson back onto his feet." She replied

I grinned. "Janet's looking for a little sideman, y'know. An assistant." I told her and her eyes almost went wide. "Really?" She asked

I raised my phone up to her face and found the article where Janet spoke with Hilary on finding new employees and growing her business further and Destiny read with speed. "I-I didn't know that." She stuttered, facing away from me

"You adore her." I repeated with a shrug. "And I'm sure she pays more than Mr. Jackson, right?" I asked

She looked back up at me. "Well...I'm not too interested in the money...I love my job and I'm committed to Mr. Jackson.."

"But who's business is thriving right now?" I asked her and she didn't answer, knowing the right answer. "Exactly." I sighed blissfully. "You should meet with Janet. It wouldn't hurt, Des."

She bit her lip in deep thought as my lips curved into a grin but she looked back up at me in uncertainty. "I-I'll think about it. Thanks for the offer, Geneva. I appreciate that you're looking out for me."

Looking out for her..okay..

"Anytime, Des." I replied. "It could just be temporary. You could always come back here." I assured her. "But that's what friends are for." I patted her shoulder lightly before leaving the room with my grin never leaving my face.

10pm

My new position works more hours than my last one. I used to get off at 8, but now I get off at almost 11. I enjoy my new position. Almost feels as if I have a new job.

I gathered my things and glanced out at the night sky before standing to my feet, walking towards the elevator.

"You can go home now, Destiny." I heard Michael's voice as he closed his office door behind him and paused when he saw me. He sighed looking at his watch.

I held the elevator door opened for him to enter. "It's about to close, sir." I reminded him and he rolled his eyes far up his head before entering it with me. "You look nice today, sir."

"I know." He muttered and the elevator doors opened as we both exited it and walked towards the lobby, to leave the building.

We were about to go separate ways but I turned back around. "Mr. Jackson-"

"I'm not giving you a ride." He interrupted me and I paused and shook my head. "I was just going to say goodnight. My car was fixed." I smiled.

He looked me up and down before leaving without saying anything back.

After all, my car never had a problem and never needed a fixing. I just loved riding in his car. It's fancy. I enjoyed the paparazzi at his house anyway.

As if I didn't know they were there that day.
**
A/n: chile x2

Continue lendo

VocΓͺ tambΓ©m vai gostar

66.1K 2.3K 70
Michael Jackson is the head of his company, and puts work first after his ex-wife destroyed his respect for love. Business woman Jamie Marabella swea...
50.5K 1.9K 40
{2021 MJFA's Best Urban winner} Michael Jackson, street thug, makes contact with a young girl around his age. He was battling his own inner problems...
2.2K 132 10
Michael Jackson is a member of an elite family known for their high status and riches. He's been ordered to an arranged marriage, something he despis...
203K 7K 79
Michael Jackson and the person he would've deserved. / set in BAD era / / actual events used for reference /