I Almost Killed My Crush's Mom

By Cherry_Cola_x

I, Lois Mai Reynolds, am all kinds of clumsy. I fall over flat surfaces. I drop expensive vases, and miraculo... More

<> Synopsis <>
Chapter 1:: Oops is an understatement
Chapter 2:: The Diagnosis
Chapter 3:: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 4:: One Game
Chapter 5:: The winds of pain
Chapter 6:: My crush stole my cupcake
Chapter 8:: Malicious chair legs
Chapter 9:: Doodling and Drooling
Bad News
Chapter 10:: Supermarkets solve everything
Chapter 11:: Pass me that bottle
Chapter 12:: The Fault in Our Universe
Chapter 13:: Me and You, You and Her
Chapter 14:: Sleepovers
Chapter 15:: Holes. Leaks. Sealant.
Chapter 16:: Bitches and Body Shots
Chapter 17:: Change
Chapter 18:: Burn Baby Burn
Chapter 19:: Confidence and Sass
Chapter 20:: Little Red Dress
Chapter 21:: What are you doing to me?
♔ ANNOUNCEMENTS ♔
Chapter 22:: The Worst Spies
Chapter 23:: Video Game Victory
Chapter 24:: Three Days
Chapter 25:: The Dance
Chapter 26:: Fight or Flight
GRAPHICS COMPETITION
Chapter 27:: You Like Me
Chapter 28:: Truth and Lie
Chapter 29:: Be Spontaneous
Chapter 30:: Drunk on Emotion
COMPETITION WINNERS
Chapter 31:: The Land of Dreams
Chapter 32:: Mango Smoothies
Epilogue
BONUS CHAPTER
♔CHARACTER INTERVIEW ♔
One Shot Competition

Chapter 7:: The Plan

245K 10.7K 6.7K
By Cherry_Cola_x

Chapter 7// The Plan

I don’t even get a chance to press the bell before Jesse swings open the front door.

“Come on,” He says, grabbing my forearm and leading me back away from the house towards the sidewalk. His face is set with determination, and I stumble along confusedly for a few steps until the realisation kicks in. What the heck is Jesse doing? Why is he leading me away from the house? I open my mouth to ask him for answers, but Jesse only shoots me a look and it’s enough to silence me. “I need to talk to you,” He sighs, “Okay? Now shut up and keep walking.”

“Well you could have just said that in the beginning,” I roll my eyes, “Instead of dragging me cluelessly away from the door. I can walk by myself you know.” Jesse glares at me for a second, before releasing my forearm from his vice-like grip. I rub the spot tenderly. I bruise like a peach; no doubt I’ll have a juicy red mark there later. “Where are we going?” I ask him curiously. We’re walking towards my house, but surely that’s not where we could be headed. I’ve just come from my beach café shift with Adam: maybe we’re headed there?

“We’re just going on a walk,” Jesse replies curtly, irritation seeping into his tone.

“You need to talk to me?”

I find myself holding my breath slightly. Okay, okay, so we all know it’s not going to be a romantic speech, but a girl can dream. He is my crush after all: it’s natural for my hormones to go a little crazy when he says that sentence. He looks especially nice today: his hair is styled messily, and he’s wearing a loose tank top and shorts with his typical black converse. Honestly, my crush may be way out of my league, but at least I have someone to drool over. “It’s about how you can make it up to me,” Jesse mumbles, shoving his hands in his pockets and interrupting my daydreaming.

“Right…” I drag out the word, indicating for him to explain.

“My mom seems to have forgiven you,” Jesse suddenly seems to be on edge: his fists knotting at his sides, “And maybe I should too, but after I found out that it was you involved in the accident…well I couldn’t help but be angry. You could’ve killed her, and although you didn’t, you could have and that thought haunts me. It’s hard to explain, but try and think about it this way. If it was your mom and I backed a car into her, wouldn’t you be mad?”

“Yeah I would,” I reply steadily, but my breaths are shaky. What does he want from me? What can I possibly do to make it up to him? It’s already happened! I can’t reverse time, as much as I want to. “Just tell me what you want Jesse,” I groan, “I’m torturing myself here.”

“Do you know who Rita Hall is?”

Rita Hall. She’s one of the most popular girls in school, flanked by Billie and Sophie. Her hair is a glossy shade of red, she’s confident, flirty and just happens to be Jesse’s ex-girlfriend. Everyone knows Rita Hall.

“I know Rita.” We’ve reached the end of the alleyway now, and we’re onto the promenade: rows of pastel coloured beach huts stretching along the bay in front of us.

“You know that she’s my ex-girlfriend?” Jessie asks me awkwardly, pushing a hand up to scratch the back of his neck. I nod in reply: Jesse and Rita’s relationship was huge in our school. Considering how small-town our students are; they were the closest we’ve ever come to an ‘it’ couple. They went out for a few years, I think, and broke up about a year ago. Since she broke up with Jesse, Rita has been testing the waters with tonnes of boys, whilst still miraculously leaving her friendship with Jesse intact. She needs to write an autobiography, that girl. I’ve never really liked her, but then again that might have something to do with her being the only girl in history to have a serious relationship with my crush.

“Okay so what I need help with…” Jesse groans and covers his face with his hands. “I want you to help me get her to go out with me again,” he mutters embarrassedly.

You have got to be kidding me.

Of course he’d ask me, the girl who has a crush on him, to help him get his ex-girlfriend back.

This must be my karma for breaking Jennifer’s leg. Either that, or the universe really does hate me. How can he ask me to help him get his ex-girlfriend back? I’ve never even met her before, and he wants me to be the one to help him? I deliberate telling him to go to hell for the stabbing pain in my chest, but then I remember that he doesn’t know that I have a crush on him. If he knew, he’d probably be running far in the opposite direction. He’s honestly asking for my help to get the girl he likes back, unknowing of the pain he’s causing me in the meantime. Of course this would happen to me. What am I supposed to say to him now? No?

“Lois?”

“Er, yeah sure,” I reply unconsciously.

“You’ll do it?” I snap to attention at the hope in Jesse’s voice, looking up at him to see him staring back at me. His gorgeous green-blue eyes are wide with surprise and hope. It’s like staring into the eyes of a whining puppy before telling it that you’ve ran out of bones. I can’t tell him no! I panic, I could’ve killed his mom, and he looks so happy that he thinks I’ve agreed to it: what other option do I have? I bite my lip. Somehow I think that I’m going to sorely regret this decision.

 “Okay,” I mumble reluctantly, nodding my head.

“Awesome,” Jesse grins, “Thank you Lois.”

“You’re welcome,” I reply weakly. “But can I ask you something first? Why do you want my help in getting you and Rita closer again? I’ve never even spoken to her before.”

“I can introduce you two,” Jesse shrugs, “I just…well I want to know if she feels the same way. If not, then I can deal. I just need to know.”

“You only want me to find out if she likes you or not?” I question suspiciously. That doesn’t seem like much: a minute ago he was asking if I’d help him get her back!

“If you find out, then we can work from there.” Jesse shifts awkwardly.

“Translation: you mean you want to get me to help her fall back in love with you.”

Jesse pauses for a moments and glances shyly over at me. “Kinda.”

The universe hates me. It really does.

“Great,” I say sarcastically, “Just great. So what’s the plan then?”

“The plan is that you help me get my ex-girlfriend back,” Jesse stops walking, placing his hands on my shoulders. “And I’ll forgive you for what you did to my mom, and we can be friends.”

Friends with (Crush) Jesse Dales. Tempting.

Friends with (Crush) Jesse Dales whilst helping him to get another girl. Less tempting.

“Deal.” I groan, “Now when I asked what the plan was, I literally meant what the hell am I going to do to try and get your ex-girlfriend back? Have you put any thought into this at all? I don’t even know her, and I’ve somehow got to befriend her, and encourage her to go out with you again.” I bite my lip, tagging along after Jesse as we begin to walk along the promenade again. It’s relatively warm outside today, meaning the beach is filled with tourists hoping to soak up the sun while it lasts.

“I’ll introduce you to her, and Billie and Sophie,” Jessie says encouragingly, “Everett knows them, so you’ll fit right in. Then I guess you befriend them, and just tell me anything that you find out about Rita which may help me impress her.”

“Okay,” I nod hesitantly. That doesn’t sound too bad: it’s just finding out what she likes in a guy, right? I can do that. Well, that’s assuming I have the social skill and confidence to befriend the popular, sought after girls at school. I’ve heard rumours about what those girls are like, and if the rumours are true, then I have no idea how I’m supposedly going to fit in. Apparently they’re all rich and bitchy, but I guess that’s the typical popular girl clique. Everett seems to think they’re alright, so I guess they won’t be bad, but will they like me?

I can only hope, I guess.

“So I’ll introduce you to them tomorrow, yeah?”

“Sure,” I nod, “I just hope this plan works.”

“It will work,” Jesse replies determinedly. “It has to. I really do like her, Lois. That’s why I’m asking this.”

My shoulders sink and I shove my hands into my short pockets. “Whatever you say.”

<><><><><> 

“Hey Jennifer,” I greet, slinging my bag down onto the floor and smiling at her. She’s lounged on top of her bed, wearing thick grey sweatpants covering her cast, and her angel blonde hair is done up into a messy bun. She looks so much younger like this. She grins when she sees me and pats the bed next to her. “Sorry I’m late,” I apologise as I make my way over to her, “I just chatted with Jesse for a while. Do you need anything?”

“Oh don’t worry about it,” She brushes it off. “Do you think you could help me out? I want to get this damn movie to play, but my wheelchair is downstairs so I can’t get over to the TV. Could you be a sweetheart and pop in the disc for me?”

“Sure,” I reply, grabbing the disc from the bed. I peer at the DVD closely. “Miss Congeniality: good choice. That’s one of my favourites.” I make my way over to the TV and open the disc player.

“You can stay and watch if you like,” Jennifer offers, gesturing around her room. “Just me in here.” I glance around at the bedroom which was spotless when I first entered it. Now there’s clothes slung around the floor, and her morning breakfast tray is on the floor. I guess the fact that she can’t move around very easily makes it hard for her to tidy up after herself. With a pang of guilt, I make a mental note to tidy up Jennifer’s room a little bit after I’ve phoned Heather. It’s been a few days since I last spoke to my best friend, and I want to get her advice on what I should do about Jesse’s terrible plan.

“Maybe in a second,” I put the movie box on the coffee table beneath the TV. “I’m just going to call my friend first. Do you have the remote already? Are you all set to play the movie?”

Jennifer waves the remote in answer.

“Good,” I smile, “I’ll be back in a second.” I lean down to grab my phone from my bag and make my way outside of Jennifer’s room, shutting the door quietly behind me. I can already hear the adverts beginning to roll. Where’s Jesse? Not wanting him to hear my conversation with Heather, I slip into the restroom and shut the door, leaning against it for added privacy.

She picks up after three dial tones.

“What’s up, buttercup?” Heather answers perkily.

“I have an issue,” I bite my lip, glancing around the restroom again to make certain that there’s no hidden imposter behind the bath curtain, listening in on my phone call.

“What?”

“You know I told you that Jesse is thinking of a way that I can make it up to him for the accident?”

“Yeah…?”

“He wants me to try and get him and Rita to go out again,” I groan, “My crush wants me to help him win his ex-girlfriend back.” The more I think about this situation, the more I worry. What am I supposed to do if these girls don’t like me? Is that it: will Jesse just carry on hating me if I fail? This isn’t fair- why is he making me do his dirty work for him? Can’t he just ask her himself?

“What did you just say?” Heather asks, shocked.

“Jesse,” I groan, “He wants me to help him win Rita back.”

“Oh my gosh,” Heather gasps empathetically, “And you said yes?”

“Unfortunately.”

“Why would you say yes? You can’t try and win your crush a date with another girl: that’s sick!” Heather screeches in a hushed tone. “What the hell are you going to do?”

“Well that’s kind of why I’m ringing you,” I stand up from the door and make my way to sit at the edge of the bathtub. “He wants me to make friends with Rita Hall and basically spy on her. Y’know, tell him everything that could help him impress her. He seems to have one hundred percent faith in the fact that I’ll be her new best friend by the end of the week, but let’s be honest here-“

“That isn’t going to happen,” Heather finishes off for me. “Why didn’t you just tell him to go and stuff himself Lois? Stand up for yourself girl: he’s making you do all his dirty work!”

“I know, but…well I don’t want him to hate me. You can call me pathetic or delusional, but I backed out with a car into his mom. I’m guilty enough already: I just want to feel like I’m making it up to him some way, like I’m making it up to Jennifer.”

“You’re such a softie Lo,” Heather tells me gently, “When does he want you to meet Rita?”

“Tomorrow,” I bow my head, my voice morphing to a whisper. “I can’t do it, Heather. I don’t know why he’s asking me to do this, I don’t even know her! I've just been landed the suckiest job on the earth, and when I can’t do it, he’s going to hate and humiliate me all over again.”

“Stand up to him,” Heather says fiercely, “You tell him that if it doesn’t work, then it’s his own fault. Tell him you don’t want to do this, but you’re going to give it your freaking best try, okay? That way, he can’t hate you if you fail. Lo, it’s wrong for you to be doing all of this: you’re doing chores for this woman, and practically kneeling at Jesse’s feet. You may have broken her leg, but it was an accident. This is your summer, and you’re sacrificing it to become a slave for these strangers, no offence.”

“Once the cast is off, I’ll stop,” I vow, standing up from the bathtub. I stare at myself in the mirror as I’m talking to her, realising that she’s right and I do need to grow up a little bit. It’s not right for me to be working at Jesse’s every beck and call. I’m going to help him as a friend, but I owe him nothing now. “And I’m not going to be as much of a servant to Jesse as you think I am,” I say determinedly, “It’s only Jennifer who I’m trying to make it up to for the accident. I do have somewhat of a backbone, believe it or not.”

“Preach it girl,” Heather laughs, “Okay well I’ll call you later; I’m going out for lunch with mom. Have fun with Jesse, and good luck.”

I hang up with a small smile. Good luck. Well I’m sure going to need it.

I open the restroom door with a fresh sense of determination. “Are you ready for lunch Jennifer? I can grab you something from the café if you want,” I say, popping my head around Jennifer’s door to see her engrossed in Sandra Bullock’s opening scene.

“Are you sure you’re okay with that? I have some money in my bag downstairs, if you’re willing to go.”

“Workers discount. I’ll pick up some lunch of my own while I’m there: plus I kind of want to talk to my boss,” I smile, “What do you want for lunch?”

“I’ll have a tuna sandwich, sweetie. Jesse will have ham. There should be enough money on the kitchen counter for us all. Grab something for yourself as well,” Jennifer smiles, “And hurry back- you’ll miss the best parts of the movie otherwise.”

Because obviously Miss Congeniality is my main worry right now.

<><><><><>

“I’m going to kill him.” Everett’s fists tighten and he sits up poker straight as he hears my news. I should’ve known he’d react like this: Everett plays the overprotective big brother role a bit too well for my liking. I told him that Jesse asked me to help him with Rita, but I guess I must have pushed him over the line a bit too far. Everett’s already pretty angry with Jesse just for being mad with me about his mom, so it’s no surprise that he hates the idea of Jesse blackmailing me even more.

“That’s a bit drastic, don’t you think?” I reply calmly. We’re in his room: a real bachelor pad, lounging around and playing video games. A bowl of popcorn sits between us on his navy bed sheets. Tammy’s having a sleepover with a friend in her own room, not that she’d be seen dead playing video games anyway. As you can tell, mine and Everett’s bond is a quite a bit stronger than either of our bonds with Tammy. Maybe it’s a twin thing.

“You’re not some kind of a slave, Lo,” Everett fumes, pausing the video game and slamming the remote down so hard that the popcorn bowl tilts slightly. His eyes, the same jade green as mine, are steely and hard. “This isn’t right, okay? I understand that you want to help Jennifer, but you have no reason to help Jesse. You didn’t hurt him: you owe him nothing!”

“Everett,” I reply pleadingly, “I wouldn’t have told you if I knew you were going to overreact like this. I did almost kill Jesse’s mom: I do owe him something too. All he’s asked me to do is to try and get closer to Rita, to see what she likes in a guy. Nothing huge. If it were any bigger, I’d refuse and you should know that. Have a little faith in me please.”

“It’s not right,” Everett turns away from me adamantly, grumbling under his breath.

“Everett you may be the most annoying brother ever to have existed, but you’re still the person I trust most in the world,” I run a hand through my hair, leaning back onto the headboard and outstretching my grey sweat pant legs. “I need your help. If I’m going to do this for Jesse, I want to have an idea of what those girls are like- Rita, Billie and Sophie. You know them: will you clue me in on them a little bit please?”

“I don’t really know them that well,” Everett grumbles, glancing over me with a slightly less defiant gaze. His angry resolve has crumbled before my very eyes.

“Anything would help,” I shrug, leaning to grab some popcorn from the bowl.

“The things I do for you,” He grumbles and I smile angelically. “I guess you want to know about Rita mainly?”

I nod.

“Well, she’s easy to get along with so you don’t really need to worry about that,” He fumbles with the joystick in his right hand. “She likes player boys, but has a bad tendency to moan to Jesse or Sophie whenever they dump her. Jesse’s like her lap dog: he’s her back up for whenever a boy leaves her, she strings him along.”

“So you think it would be easy to make friends with her?”

“Relatively, yeah. She knows you through me, plus she’s so confident that she makes friends without even trying. You’ll be fine. Now can I play my game?”

“Yeah, go ahead,” I smile, slightly reassured by what Everett has told me. Maybe this plan will work out after all. I reach for the bowl of popcorn and place it in my lap. “Thanks Everett.”

“No problem,” Everett grumbles, reaching for his gaming remote, “Just be careful though Lois, I’m warning you. This might be a fool proof plan to you and Jesse, but you may want to think of who could get hurt while you’re playing his game.” He purses his lips and without another word, presses the resume button on his remote, flooding the room with sounds of gunshots and soldiers voices.

I sink back into the pillows and stare idly at the ceiling. Any sense of reassurance disappeared after that last piece of advice from Everett. I can only hope that things go okay tomorrow, when I’m introduced to Rita.

Fingers crossed.

 MY WIFI IS OFFICIALLY BACK ON, AND I AM NOT FORCED TO SOCIALISE WITH MY RELATIVES FOR ANY LONGER! You literally cannot understand my happiness right now. I hope you all liked the chapter- if you did, leave a cheeky comment and vote below :D

Update on Friday, as usual <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 35.6K 34
After a tragic accident that completely changes her life, Annie and her twin brother, Austin, are taken in by the Emersons, a family of seven (drop-d...
237K 5K 30
Rebelling against your parents is only a phase, right? Right? - I sit back down next to him and sigh. "Everything okay?" He asks. I shrug, "She's ups...
3.6K 304 13
Perfectly curled mahogany hair. Eyes so blue that it looks like the sun was shining right through them. Her smile so bright that it leaves me complet...
998 42 18
Jordy feels like she has met the love of her life and everything is almost as if taken out of a fairytale, especially after Archer Finn confronts her...