Everlong

By Inconvenient_Ideal

For as long as she could remember, Liruliniel had one goal, one hope, one thing she wanted to aspire to be an... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Author's Note.
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
Epilogue.

61

424 27 1
By Inconvenient_Ideal

Had it always been this quiet? This seemingly never ending silence which enveloped the space within a shroud, muffling nearly any sound as soon as it appeared; it was unnerving as it was unnatural. Thranduil had never truly noticed it before, or perhaps he had but chose to not pay much mind, always he had someone around occupying the silence, that someone now being gone. And Thranduil was unaware as to what Liruliniel was doing right at this moment. He was utterly in the dark and it was something he had often disliked, especially when it came to her. So often she spent so much time in her own head, the sharing moments she had allowed him in and he, would say he was surprised, but he wasn't to come to learn that she had not returned.

The orcs had attacked, the prisoners had escaped and Liruliniel along with them. He should've seen that one coming a mile off, but somehow decided to play ignorant; like she would go, she wouldn't because of the foreseen dangers along the way. No, apparently not because she went anyway and it left him numb, not numb but sudden solitude had created a vacuum from which he felt himself disjointed from what was truly happening. He wasn't that ignorant, the orc's words still rung in his head and Thranduil wasn't one to look the other way when someone was being so forthcoming. So a war was coming, another one, one which Liruliniel had been privy to and briefly mentioned and then no more. Somehow he could feel himself being pulled against a tide, that he did not and could not fight against.

The corridors were quiet as he strolled down them, the torches flickering and spitting as the flames danced about within the iron worked holders. He had never truly noticed how silent their home was, a very disturbing silence indeed. He was alone. Undoubtedly, and somehow, within a home of thousands, Thranduil felt rather alone. The feeling did not dissipate only grew when he came to realise that his son had gone out, after he had ordered the gates to be shut. Thranduil did not understand, and it took a guard saying that Tauriel was out there for him to understand.

Rather like Liruliniel, within this moment Legolas was led by his heart and fondness for someone who, quite frankly, did not wholly deserve his affections. Tauriel, an elf that Thranduil had witnessed grow alongside his son, get trained with him, by Liruliniel, and the three thus soon working brilliantly as a unit. Did he think they'd all cross paths out there? Of course. Legolas was drawn to Tauriel, and Tauriel was being drawn to apparently the right thing, and Liruliniel, in ever truly Liruliniel fashion was being drawn to her wishes of helping and maybe encouraging the younger elves in whatever they wished. Of course somehow along the line they would find each other, Thranduil knew that much and it should've filled him with some peace, it did not. Still didn't solve the fact that three of the elves he was most closest to, were out there and he was still here, unable to aid because of being torn.

He had never been parted from his son, not like this and the turmoil in his heart was only accentuated by the distance which Liruliniel now left in her wake. He was being pulled, naturally and against his will into actions he did not wish to take part in. If orcs were planning a fight, a war, especially against those idiot dwarves in the Mountain, they would surely trudge through his lands first. And Thranduil was not having that. By all means, wage the petty fight against the dwarves, but they need not think they would cross without problems upon entering his homeland. Once out of Mirkwood, it was of little worry to him.

Looking up when he spotted a familiar figure, Thranduil moved onwards. Caladhiel looked surprised, but with a soft smile she tilted her head and rolled her eyes. "She has caused problems for you again, I take it?"

Not the words he was expecting and Thranduil tensed a little, he was never wary of Caladhiel, but she was a sharp one. "She is no longer here." Thranduil replied, he could all but see the damaging effect his words had on her. The smile went, her face turned blank and she looked around before gesturing a hand. She was near her home, and honestly, this was perhaps the first time he had been within the humble settings of those who lived away from his own quarters. Other than when he had been within Liruliniel's old home, the settings and surroundings were very similar.

At any other time perhaps, Caladhiel would find humour in the tall elf being within the pokey yet homely space, but she sat at the table in the room with a heavy sigh. Thranduil sat down opposite, stretching his legs out and looking at the fire before him. The small space was much like Liruliniel's old home, the small dining area and living room were more or less one and the same. A small kitchen area was off to the side near the corridor which led to the bathroom and bedrooms.

He looked sidelong at his old tutor. He could see she was pained by his words still. "You didn't know." In truth, perhaps subconsciously he had wandered down this way in search of Liruliniel's adoptive mother. If only to get some reasoning, some justification and answers as to why and what has happened. How could he when the woman knew nothing of her departure?

"Imrathon, he spoke of the prisoners escaping, the orcs attacking; but he did not mention Liruliniel going."

Thranduil inhaled slowly, "I am not surprised," he said just as slowly, Caladhiel looked at him sharply. He smiled, despite the moment. "You shouldn't be either."

"I am not sad, I am angry. She knows better than to just go charging off!"

"Does she though? Does she? Her past has been littered with such moments, some without much care or thought put into them at all. It is typical behaviour."

"I was told of the numbers of the pack, sire. And even if your words are true, I am still angry." Caladhiel responded shortly with a frown, Thranduil turned slowly in his seat and looked to her. "Why are you here?"

"I wished to find out if you knew she had planned to go. If the moment arose, if the dwarves managed a great escape, I wanted to see if you knew. But it seems you are as in the dark as I am."

"Would it make anything any better if I did know? Let us be honest, if I knew, I would've tried to talk her out of such a thing. I am all for encouraging her, but not in foolish acts which could see her severely outnumbered and harmed. That is stupidity, and although she may play it down, she is smart; she isn't a fool."

"She isn't alone out there," Thranduil decided someone else should know the current situation. Who was better than Caladhiel? Non-judging, sympathetic and wise Caladhiel. "Legolas and Tauriel are seemingly out there too. I have no doubt that the three will meet up."

Caladhiel inhaled and sighed slowly, smiling and shaking her head she looked around her humble home. "She is fine, I am sure of that. Same goes for your son and Tauriel."

Thranduil frowned at that, "How can you be so sure?"

Caladhiel placed a hand to her heart, "Because if she was dead, or harmed, I would feel it. That much I am certain. Now, would you like a drink if you are staying?" She smirked while pushing herself up and out of her chair. Caladhiel just moved to the small kitchen area, though he didn't answer she could very well see that he was seeking some form of company in someone that wasn't going to project their biased opinions on him. Caladhiel looked over her shoulder though, and she couldn't help but smile lightly at the sight of him sitting there looking downwards with a hand to his heart. He looked uncertain, perhaps even a little confused and it was in these rare moments that she could still see the young elf she had tutored and watch grow to become the elf he was now.

----

Little did Thranduil know that currently Liruliniel was standing in a square of a town, darkened by night with snowflakes making languid motions down to the ground below; the ground itself was becoming wet from the mush which the many footsteps had created. She had Girion's supposed descendant behind her, with Thrór's in front, looking up at her with a hesitant expression. It was like Thorin knew what was about to come his way, and he looked a little apprehensive. She didn't waste time silencing the crowd and putting them all in their places, apparently way below her on the pecking order, so what would she do to him, a friend?

"All of those fancy titles mean little here."

Thorin winced, that was perhaps the wrong thing to say and everyone seemed to know it. The black haired male didn't seem to care about his words, whereas Liruliniel sighed and dryly looked upwards at him. Her hands rested on her hips, her thumbs hooking into her sword belt. Smiling she even let out a quiet laugh, coughing to cover the sound up she placed a hand over her mouth. She was clearly trying to hide the growing smile while her other hand was held simply in the air, signalling to give her a moment.

A long moment went past, and she was still quietly chuckling to herself. Shaking her head, she looked around herself and then back at him. "I don't quite like your tone. But I'll let it slide, seems you're that way to everyone. I have been watching, and I have been listening. It is not nice to bully those which have had no dealings with what happened in the past. What Lord Girion failed to do, has no bearing on this man. It is not like your ancestors did anything to deter the dragon, for that much I am sure. You do not seem to have come from very good stock, shall we say; you do not have the bearing of a warrior, a soldier, someone who has had to fight for everything. My titles may mean nothing to you, but it means something to them." Liruliniel gestured to the side, the townspeople were still all whispering in awe. "Am I perhaps the first elf you have ever seen? Let alone a Princess. Isn't this your lucky night? A dwarf-King promising riches, and me. Well, how can it improve? Quite simply, I must speak seriously to you, Master; for I come bearing bad news and I fear you and your people will be harmed greatly." Liruliniel said, dropping the slight sarcasm and condescending tone as she stepped forwards looking up at the large, ginger haired man.

He eyed her sceptically, like how a child would if there was a piece of an offending vegetable on their plate. Distrust, distrust and hesitance but mainly this sceptical feeling and aura that was likely to go downhill more. "Yes, yes, I heard." He said with a roll of his eyes, "The dragon and orcs. Well, tell me this, where are they, hm? Are they present in the here and now? No. You are as bad as him with your prophecies of doom."

Liruliniel stiffened and clicked her tongue, stepping back she looked at Thorin. "My friend, I fear I have failed in a way to deter the inevitable, so I am going to ask you not to do this. I am asking something, which is...tremendous of you, especially now that you are here; but I do honestly fear no good is going to come of this." Liruliniel looked at him honestly, her eyes staring into his and she could tell when she was fighting a losing battle.

"You ask me, you ask us, to give up now that we are practically on the doorstep. You ask the impossible." Thorin replied quietly, his eyes narrowing slowly yet his tone and expression was apologetic.

"If you have sway here, please try and persuade an evacuation. Please, Thorin. I will never ask you of anything ever again; please, this is important." These people may seem a little afraid of her, wary to a whole new level but they didn't deserve to die.

"I will try."

"I am in your debt." Liruliniel placed a hand to her chest and bowed her head.

Thorin looked at her sidelong, "I have not succeeded."

She smiled anyway, "Then I am in your debt for trying." She sighed and stepped away, hands tucking behind her back as she stepped beside the stern faced man who was still present. She smiled awkwardly his way before looking away. "Your prophecies of doom are not far off, sir. Let me tell you that now." She whispered his way, watching his dark eyes grow darker with this quietly spoken to him.

"You say you are from Mirkwood, then are we to believe that the Elvenking is taking action against this?"

Liruliniel smiled slowly, "I'm a messenger of sorts, yes."

This caused more murmurs to travel around, Liruliniel looked awkwardly around with a small wince. These people had only had stories of the elves, no doubt. And they doubted less so that some distant king cared for what happened to them. The Master seemed inclined to believe that too as he scoffed. "This is all ridiculous!"

"Quite right, sire."

Liruliniel lifted up a hand and opened her mouth, only she ceased trying to talk when the man beside her spoke. "I wouldn't bother, you'll be wasting your time." So her mouth shut, and her hand went back to her side. She was inclined more so to believe he was right. She saw how badly these people operated now. Shaking her head sadly, she watched the agreement of aid as cheers of a celebration echoed in the air. Were mortals all so easily swayed by greed and riches?

Perking up she eyed the stern faced man before looking at Thorin as he smirked somewhat triumphantly before walking up the stairs to clasp the Master's hand. Something in her went cold, this alliance was going to end in someone being burned, literally. Turning on her heels she pushed her way through the crowd, not that that was hard seems they parted away from her. As if getting close was going to cause something to happen. She briefly smiled at the small company of dwarves and lone hobbit before calling out lightly.

Needless to say the dark haired male turned with a frown on his face, be fair that's all Liruliniel had seen in the ways of expression. "Sir! Please...you are the only one here that seems to speak sense, and know it. Please, I came to help. Do you know a way in which we can persuade others to listen? I do not think Thorin will try very hard, and though he is my friend, he is track minded on getting home." Liruliniel explained with a small shake of her head.

He tilted his head, he looked over her shoulder at the people all gathering more so for a celebration. The fact they were all seeking to party and celebrate had him tensing on the spot, more so it seemed. "What exactly is it you know?"

"Ah! Now that is a question I have a good answer for." Liruliniel said while stepping forwards, the boarding underneath her dipped a little as she moved. Her balance didn't falter though as she stared upwards at the man. "Firstly though, what is your name? I can't keeping calling you sir, or Lord Girion's heir." Even as this was thrown out in a haphazard way, she saw how he tensed; like being so was such a burden to him, or a long standing pain that he had come to bear and grow used to. That right there she could relate to.

"Bard."

"Liruliniel! But...you already know that...it is a pleasure to meet you!" Liruliniel said enthusiastically while sticking her hand out. He looked utterly bewildered for a moment before slipping his larger hand into hers. She smiled, "You look confused, is this not how mortals greet and introduce themselves to each other?"

Bard's lips quirked a little, it seemed he was trying hard not to smirk. "It is, that is true. But I do not think I have seen a mortal as you say, look so happy about such a thing."

She laughed and let his hand go, seems she was just shaking it up and down without much mind at all. "Can we perhaps discuss matters elsewhere?"

Bard nodded, "This way." He led the way, not knowing anywhere safer than his home. Though he inhaled slowly, his children had just had to get used to dwarves being in their space. And now they were going to have an elf-Princess? Let alone that elf-Princess be...well, how could Bard say it without being offensive, quite unlike how he believed an elf would be, let alone a princess. She had an air of something more about her, an ethereal aura that made her seem untouchable, despite of just shaking hands. Her weapons were dotted all about her person, yet even he knew of their deadliness, he'd heard enough stories from when he was a child. Her hair, the colour of woodland leaves in the autumn was all braided together, small ones feeding into a long one trailing down her back. Definitely not what Bard expected, but then he hadn't exactly met many if any elves to compare. If he was internally having these thoughts, he could only presume his children would vocally say them; Tilda especially was probably not going to leave the elf alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87 11 9
What if Lyraea never got captured and what if all of her other sibling except Smaug died? What if she joined the quest instead? What is she finds 14...
70.5K 1.2K 15
** under constant changes , advice not to read while under construction ** A choice was bestowed upon the children of men and elves , to live a lif...
777 42 19
When a darkness spreads across Mirkwood, a mighty elven kingdom is robbed from its bliss. A once vibrant people hides behind the walls of their kingd...
214K 6.9K 28
(Y/n) or The Lonely Dragon, a name that was known across Middle Earth. Feared....admired.....worshipped All she wanted was to be normal, but that was...