My Happily Never After

By LikkleBagel

"Don't be silly," I said with a wry smile stretched over my lips. "I'm not in love with him." I let out a sma... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Once Upon a Time
Chapter Two: The Qualities of a Villain
Chapter Three: Once Upon a Dream Doesn't Work
Chapter Four: Hardly Cinderella's Ball
Chapter Five: Real Life Prince Charming
Chapter Six: The Knight in Shining Armour
Chapter Seven: The Work of Evil
Chapter Eight: A Fraction of a Fairy Tale
Chapter Nine: Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide
Chapter Ten: A Mortal Enemy
Chapter Eleven: It's off to Work We Go
Chapter Twelve: A Villain's Weakness
Chapter Thirteen: One Last Hope
Chapter Fourteen: An Elixir For Courage
Chapter Fifteen: Her Glass Slipper
Chapter Sixteen: Not A Damsel in Distress
Chapter Seventeen: Little? Yes. Mermaid? Not So Much.
Chapter Eighteen: Knowing Who's A Bad Guy
Chapter Nineteen: A Friend Like Me
Chapter Twenty: Whistle While You Work
Chapter Twenty-Two: I Won't Say I'm In Love
Chapter Twenty-Three: A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
Chapter Twenty-Four: Making Deals LIke the Little Mermaid. But not.
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Villainous Toaster
Chapter Twenty-Six: An Elsa Worthy Poker Face
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Not Neverland
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Poor Unfortunate Events
Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Hundred Tears of Sleep
Chapter Thirty: When the Other Glass Slipper Drops
Chapter Thirty-One: The Crack in a Knight's Dulled Armour
Chapter Thirty-Two: A Failed Fairy Godmother Attempt
Chapter Thirty-Three: Shattered Mirror Mirror
Chapter Thirty-Four: Prince Un-Charming
Chapter Thirty-Five: Happily Never After
Ever Since - Chapter One
EXTRA: The Other Side of the Mirror

Chapter Twenty-One: Play My Music

36.9K 1.8K 927
By LikkleBagel

Right...so you might have noticed that this title was a song from Camp Rock...which was a Disney fiim... so... yeah.

I'll think of something better another time xD (when it isn't past 5AM and I'm not half asleep)

QUESTION: Does anyone else sometimes find themselves freaking out over something that wasn't even there so much that they can't sleep anymore? I thought I saw something move from the corner of my eye - I looked there was nothing there - but due to the fact I'd been watching Supernatural earlier (the hookman episode *shiver*) I couldn't convince myself to turn out the lights and go to sleep :/

But good news - new update. I'm pretty sure I can sleep now anyway :P (Mayday Parade literally just sang 'maybe you could get some sleep tonight' through my headphones - talk about timing xD

ANYWAY on to the story - votes and comments are always appreciated but most importantly PLEASE ENJOY:

Chapter Twenty-One: Play My Music

“Idiot. Don’t go.”

Mackenzie’s reaction came as no surprise to me, but I still winced as he gave me his usual irritated glare. I knew he was going to be annoyed at me for making such a stupid promise.

I gave a small nervous laugh. “I kind of already promised Isaac that I would.” I told him with a sheepish grin. “Before I met you. Before you promised to help me fall out of love. And before you imposed that rule about not being left alone with him.” I carried on hoping it would help me.

I didn’t.

“If it helps, I technically won’t even be alone with him.” I pointed out. “Almost his whole family will be there.” I explained, about the family dinner I’d already promised Isaac that I would go with him to.

 Mackenzie’s glare deepened.

“Don’t go.” He repeated bluntly.

I flinched. “I already promised.” I repeated right back.

“So?” He asked flatly.

My posture stiffened slightly. “So, I’m not going back on my word.” I told him with almost equal flatness.

“You’re being stupid Taylor.” He said, his anger growing – which only served to add fuel to my own annoyance.

“How am I? Does keeping promises make me automatically stupid?” I asked hotly.

“Of course not. But the fact that you made such an idiotic promise in the first place does.” He replied with anger.

I lips flattened as I glared at him. I had tried to say ‘no’, but Mackenzie had no idea how hard that was for me when it came to Isaac.

“Yeah well, stupid me, I did. So it’s too late now.” I told him. I wasn’t going to go back on my promise. I may not have an abundance of good qualities – but I never broke my promises.

Mackenzie shook his head, looking annoyed.

“Do you enjoy setting yourself up for heartbreak?” He asked with irritation. “You do realise that at the end of this, no matter how much you do for him, he’s still going to love Rachel. Not you. Right?”

Well ouch. No need to tiptoe around my feelings or anything.

I glared at him. A few weeks ago that sentence alone would have knocked the argument out of me, but all it did now was annoy me further.

He wasn’t saying it to hurt me, he was just being his usual brutally honest – completely ignorant to people’s feelings – self.

“Of course I know that.” I hissed at him. “That’s not why I’m going. I’m not doing this in some insane delusion that he’ll suddenly pick me. I’m not even an option in his mind. I know that.” I said, trying to keep the hurt from leaking into my voice.

“Then why are you going?” Mackenzie asked exasperatedly.

For him, you numbskull!” I retorted. “Not me.” I felt some of my anger drain slightly as I shook my head. I let out a frustrated sigh. “You don’t get it.” I said.

Why couldn’t he just understand?

“You’re right. I don’t get it.” Mackenzie agreed, catching me by surprise.

“What?” I asked, wondering if I’d heard him right.

He caught hold of my shoulders. “You’re not thinking nearly enough about yourself.” He said sternly. “You keep putting yourself in situations where you’re the only one who’s going to end up being hurt at the end. You could at least try thinking a little.”

I shook his hands from my shoulders.

“I’m trying my hardest.” I said stiffly. “It’s just one day.”

I’d already known that I was likely going to end up getting hurt. I’d also already known Mackenzie was going to be annoyed at me once I told him I was going.

I still wasn’t going to change my mind.

Mackenzie let out a frustrated noise from the back of his throat. “You’re impossible.” He told me with an annoyed glare.

Then without another word he turned on his heel and stalked away – effectively putting an end to our conversation.

I closed my eyes letting out a small sigh.

Mackenzie ended up ignoring me for the rest of the day whilst we were working together. I ignored him too, knowing that if I tried talking to him I’d probably just end up getting more frustrated.

The next few hours dragged by at an excruciatingly slow pace.

I let out a relieved sigh when my shift came to an end. Mackenzie had already left before hand, and Paul was out of his office – counting up the cash as I cleaned the tables.

“Taylor.” Paul called me back as I was getting ready to leave. “Before you go I have something for you.” He said, closing the cash register draw with a loud slam (it was the only way to make it stay).

I gave him a confused look, but walked back towards him. “Mackenzie wanted me to hand this to you.” He said. “Though I don’t know why he couldn’t just give it to you himself.” He added on with an eye roll as he reached into his pocket.

My throat tightened slightly when I saw what it was he was passing to me.

“He said something about it being ‘almost his fault’ that your iPod was broken.” Paul continued as he dropped the MP3 in my hand that already had a pair of cheap headphones wrapped around it. “So you can use this. Or something like that anyway.” He loosely relayed the message.

I wasn’t sure what I was meant to be saying.

Mackenzie had done this for me. I felt bad for how annoyed I’d been with him just five minutes ago.

“You both seemed a bit off today. Did something happen?” Paul asked.

I shook my head slightly. “Just Mackenzie being a stubborn, and me being an idiot.” I answered vaguely.

My fingers tightened slightly over the MP3.

“You know, Mackenzie not very good at being nice.” Paul told me with a smile that suggested a hidden knowledge. He was about to say something more when the sound of the door opening interrupted him.

He looked over my shoulder, and his eyebrows rose in surprise.

“Jake.” He greeted a warm smile stretched over his lips. “It’s been quite a while. To what do I owe the pleasure?” He asked.

I turned to look over my shoulder, surprised to see Jake stood there. “Hi Paul.” He said, before his eyes went to me. “Actually I stopped by to see if Taylor was still here.”

From the corner of my eye I saw Paul turn to look at me for a brief second before returning his attention to Jake.

“I’m hurt. You’re not here to see me.” He pretended to sniff. “You’re the same as always. Just caring about a pretty face.”

Jake gave him a wicked grin. “You know me too well.” He confessed jokingly. He turned his eyes back to me, humour dancing in his eyes. “Hey Tay.” He said softly, pulling a small smile from me.

“Hey.” I greeted back. “Did you need me for something?”

Jake shrugged his shoulders. “Just thought you might appreciate the company walking home. I know you said you don’t need me to walk you back anymore, but I’ve kind of grown accustomed to dropping by.”

I laughed lightly, shaking my head. “Sure.” I agreed, sliding Mackenzie’s MP3 into my pocket. “I’d like that.”

Jake beamed at me, reaching to hold the door open in invitation for me to come over there. Turning back I looked at Paul and gave him a small wave. He smiled back at me and said goodbye to us both.

“Bye Paul.” Jake said as I ducked under his arm to the outside.

As the door fell closed behind us Jake turned to me, both of his hands going to his pockets. His eyes flickered down, and his smile grew.

“You’re wearing your bracelet.” He said cheerfully.

My hand automatically reached for the wrist that the bracelet was on once he mentioned it. The tips of my fingers brushed gently over the small amethyst stones.

“Thank you for getting it for me. It’s really pretty.” I said honestly. I’d always favoured the more simplistic jewellery.

“No problem. It looks good on you.” He complimented, and my cheeks instantly grew red, which didn’t go unnoticed by a triumphant looking Jake. “Probably because you’re really pretty too.” He took it a step further teasingly.

My blush hardened.

I thinned my lips, fighting back a small smile as I narrowed my eyes up at him.

“What?” Jake asked innocently.

“You know what.” I said with a small laugh. “You know compliments make me feel awkward.”

He cracked a wide grin. “But you deserve them all.” He said sweetly.

“Yup. I’m not talking to you anymore.” I said, turning away from him as I blushed. I could still hear him laughing behind me as I quickened my walk.

Jake kept up easily.

“Alright, alright. I’ll stop.” He promised on a laugh.

I slowed my steps, and he used the opportunity to swing his arm over my shoulder. He was doing that a lot lately. I didn’t even bother trying to shake him off; I just looked up him shaking my head.

“You know, you’ve got to be the only girl in the world who’d get upset over being complimented.” He said with an affectionate tease.

“Because you only ever compliment me to tease me.” I accuse him, with slightly narrowed eyes.

He raised an eyebrow. “So if I said them seriously, you’d let me compliment you?” He asked.

“What-” My words slurred together when I suddenly yawned. I brought my hand to cover my mouth, and I lost my chance to ask him what he was talking about when Jake’s eyebrows drew together slightly.

“Are you tired?” He asked.

I nodded my head as a second yawn hit me, rendering me incapable to speech.

“Noisy house.” I explained once I’d finished yawning.

A ghost of an understanding smile lifted Jake’s lips. “I remember. You used to always sleep over at mine and Rachel’s house.”

I smiled fondly at the memory. “We used to watch back to back Disney films.” I recalled.

“That’s right. That was before you became a weirdo and stopped liking Disney.” Jake said playfully. “You used to make us watch Mulan all the time.”

I nodded my head. “Mulan was boss.” I told him completely unregretful. “You and Rachel were such girls. You used to like watching the Little Mermaid.”

Jake laughed. “Psshhh. ‘Used to’.” He said jokingly. “I still watch that every day.”

I grinned, shaking my head at him as I laughed.

Jake glanced down at me again, his smile warming. “Just so you know.” He changed the subject back to before we started talking about Disney. “You can always come over to my apartment if you need to get away from the noise.”

I blinked up at him. “Really?” I asked.

“Of course.” Jake confirmed without even so much as a beat’s hesitation.

“Thank you.” I said. I probably wouldn’t take him up on the offer – but I felt better knowing it was there.

“It’s not a problem.” He said easily. “Though it might not always be quieter.” He admitted. “Mackenzie likes having people over. And on top of that he’s also pretty weird.”

I laughed. “Weird?” I asked in intrigue.

“Yup. Just last night he was tearing apart the apartment looking for some old MP3 or something.” Jake explained.

My laugh died, as my throat clogged. The MP3 in my pocket seemed to weigh a lot more all of a sudden, as if trying to remind me of its presence.

“Hey, are you alright?” Jake asked, taking back my attention.

I blinked, pulling my thoughts together. “Fine.” I answered. “Just thinking. Sorry.”

“It’s fine.” Jake responded. “We’re at your house was all I was saying.” He joked light-heartedly.

I looked around us in surprise. “We are.” I noted shaking my head.

Jake chuckled lightly. “You really need to get some sleep.” He said reaching out a hand to push back my fringe.

I nodded in agreement. “I know. Thanks for walking me back.” I said sincerely.

Jake brought his hand lower, his thumb brushing lightly over my cheek. “My pleasure.” He said, before dropping his hand and stepping away.

“Bye Jake.” I said taking a step back of my own, wondering when I’d gotten so close.

“See you, Taylor.” He said, before I turned to walk the steps to my house.

Once I was inside I walked straight past my arguing parents – not acknowledging them and them not acknowledging me.

Closing myself in my room I collapsed face-first onto my bed. Reaching into my pocket I pulled out Mackenzie’s MP3 player.

I was an old one – it still took batteries – it was one he probably hadn’t used in a while, but when I pressed the power button it lit up instantly, showing full power.

I ran my thumb over the buttons, my thoughts going in every which direction.

Pulling out my phone from my other pocket I sat myself up again, and opened a new text conversation.

[Thank you (no kiss this time) – Taylor]

I wasn’t expecting a reply – he was probably still annoyed at me – and I didn’t get one.

Going back to the MP3 I began thumbing through the songs he’d left on there, smiling gently to myself when I saw ‘Hakuna Matata’ on there. Pushing both ear buds in I pressed the play button, letting the Disney song on full volume drown out the sound of my parents arguing.

If I hadn’t had my phone on my lap I would have missed it buzzing five songs later.

Glancing down with furrowed eyebrows I opened the new text message.

[Whatever - just stop turning up to work so crabby. – Mackenzie]

__

Okay, that's it for now - sleep time for me. Let me know what you think.

Just a couple of things before I go:

1 - For those unaware I now have a twitter account to let you guys know when I'm close to updating (because wattpad inconveniently no longer has a status bar) Still not entirely sure what I'm doing so bare with me for a few months whilst I get the hang of it <3 x (link is on the about me section of my page)

2 - I've changed the cover! (Undoubtedly you will have noticed this already) but yeah - thought it would be worth a mention :) Sorry to anyone who liked the last cover (if any of you had some sort of attatchment or whatnot) but I really didn't like it - actually I'm still not sure how I feel about the one I have now, but at least the writing's not overlapping and driving me slowly crazy anymore!

STAY BEAUTIFUL - LikkleAngel

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

320K 16.5K 24
❝Hey. I think I need some advice. I fucked up big time.❞ ❝What did you do?❞ ❝I asked a girl out on a date.❞ ❝How did you mess up then?❞ ❝I think I li...
754K 19.9K 22
Ellie, a normal 16 year old girl in Gardina. She longs to meet the prince of Gardina but never had a chance. Until one day, something changed her lif...
75.7K 2.5K 32
"Hello" "Hello" "You know you shouldn't have done that to Mae, trust me am gonna get you good Aiden just wait and see" "Am sorry whose this" "Don't t...
44.1K 812 65
Highly exaggerated opinions about Transformers ships from any media, open to suggestions