Wilting Roses (Formerly known...

By Ortiz-Novels

Heart broken and mistreated by her arranged husband, Scarlett Heart seeks refuge in a massive garden hidden i... More

Cover Art
Copyright © 2014 by Mara L. Ortiz
Wedding Day
Grand Feast
Arrival
2 years and 9 Month's
Tragic Karma
Guilt
Punishment
The Little Things
Apologies
Conflicted
Little Lies
Challanged Thought's
Falling Harder
Heart At Ease
Rejection
Urgent Message
Recovery and Dispair
Hiding in Plain Sight
The Truth
Anticipation
The Encounter
The Day is Gone
Heart Warming Farewell
Carnival
When Push Comes to Shove
Plead Bargin
Against All Odds
Final Blow
True Love's Last Kiss
Pressure
Fear of The Truth
Set Things Right
Confrontation
There's A Fire
Looking for Shelter
Winter Has Come
Peace
Sweet Winter Spring & Summer
Fin

Holding On to Stay True

63.4K 2.1K 135
By Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Twenty Eight

Her eyes scanned the autumn weather before her. Scarlett could not deny that she hated this type of season. Everything slowly began to wither and die. She loved the hot sunny days, taking a stroll by the rumbling fresh waves. The faint cool breeze initiated that it would soon get colder and all the vegetation would slowly decay. She was glad that her family had gotten the best of the crops this season, and that they were well set for this next winter to arrive. Yet she still could not come to terms about the sun hiding behind thick clouds of rain and snow for four to five months.

"Are you listening to me child?" her mother said.

She drew her attention towards her mother; feeling a blush of embarrassment rise to her cheeks.

"What was that mother?" she asked, her lips pressing into a smile.

Lady Worthington shook her head in disapproval and went about trying to adjust Scarlett's red coat.

"This man has your mind muddled, are you certain you want to depart?" she asked.

"I've discussed this numerous times, and my answer is still the same," she replied.

The wind blew with a faint whistle as the Worthington family stared at Scarlett with a very unsure expression. She did not have to say no more as their faces told her the truth about this entire charade. Her mother had insisted that she did not go; Mia had argued and protested with her as well. Nicole had been the only one to keep her comments to herself, only shaking her head every so often as she looked at her dear sister.

Nevertheless she took a deep breath, held her chin high, and tugged at the end of her thick red coat trying to stop the chilly breeze from invading what little warmth she had.

"If you change your mind please do not waste haste in coming back," her father said. His face looked grim but his lips played a thin line as he grasped at both his gloved hands and exhaled deeply.

"Of course, I will." She replied. She held him in a surprising tight hug and pressed a light peck on his cheek. Only a small faint chuckle escaped him as he held her back and sighed. Her mother then stepped in held Scarlett tight and said; "Larisa was not able to come, her husband and she had matters to attend to."

"No matter, please let her know that I hope to see her when I return, and that I love her."

Mia crossed her arms and gave Scarlett another dark look and finally sighed and approached her trying hard to compose her upset features. "Do not fall for any of his tricks Scarlett, be keen, do not yield into him so swiftly," Mia whispered in her ear so that no one could hear. Scarlett nodded as a reply and actually felt happy to know that Mia cared deeply about her feelings. The wind blew and she gasped at the sharp chill pushing her to climb into her carriage. She said her final goodbye and pushed her way inside the black carriage to escape the dreaded chill. She waved from the small window and watched as they hurried inside.

~*~*~*~

Dathan looked outside his window and up to the stars; they twinkled brightly in the dark sky. There were no clouds to cover the full moon and he knew it would be colder than before. Wrapping the blanket closer around his body he sat there trying to relax every muscle inside of him.

Just be yourself, he repeated every now and then. He would not beg, he knew he wanted to, but if that was not going to do it he wouldn't. He was going to be himself, and that was all, if Scarlett didn't see a change in him then there was nothing else he would do. He thought long and hard about how he would forcefully move on, and decided to let time erase that not someone else. If he still felt affection for her even after a year he wouldn't court anyone, there was no way he could be with another knowing that his heart was with her.

Back then he would have laughed at the idea of ever falling for Scarlett, but he wasn't that person anymore. Sitting there in the dark he closed his eyes and tried to get some sleep. He wanted to be the first one to meet her when she arrived, not because he wanted to make an impression but because he wanted to. He was just being himself, meaning if he felt like doing something from the heart he would.

~*~*~*~

Trying to take deep breaths to steady her heart beat; she adjusted her dress and pulled her long hair over her shoulders. When she felt the carriage halt she felt her heart stop beating as well, and a cold shiver ran down her back. The door opened and the cold air rushed in, making her hug herself. The sun was covered in dark gray clouds, on the edge of bringing down some rain.

Upon seeing the door to the entrance of the house Scarlett felt her breath come in short, it had been six months since she stepped foot inside. Lightly knocking on the door she waited. The heavy door creaked as it opened and Dathan stood there lightly smiling at her.

His skin had lost its color and pale skin is what remained, his eyes had lost their hardness and stern look.

A sensitive aura now peered from them.

"It's quite cold outside, is it not?" he asked, opening the door wider.

Scarlett stepped in quietly, her eyes glued to the marbled floor. Her friends had left Heart Manor, Hanna and Bridget had lost touch with Scarlett. Sonia had been the only one to write to her in her time of anguish. Somehow she understood that the girls had had their time preoccupied looking for work elsewhere. She was certain that when the time came she would hear word from them.

Quietly, she walked towards the foyer and stood at the center facing the large red carpeted stairs. She avoided looking towards the windows near the entrance for it had been where her dear Rose had taken her last breath. Suddenly everything was overwhelming Scarlett as she stood there in silence. There was nothing in that house that brought a smile upon her face.

The air suddenly felt too thick to breathe as she lifted her gaze to look to the large stairs. There wasn't any fond memories, it did not matter where she looked.

"Are you alright?" he asked. He set a firm hand over her shoulder and stared at her with concern. Scarlett brushed away a stray tear and tried to smile, but she failed to hold onto that façade.

"Tis too painful, I cannot be here," she honestly replied. His face fell to see her so hurt by their mere sight of his home. Taking her hand Dathan led Scarlett towards the back glass doors. He led her towards the opening of the Labyrinth. She allowed the closeness of his hard working callous hands to take a firm grip against her soft ones, enjoying the comfortable sweet warmth he provided. She took a shaky breath, stealing a glance in his direction, watching his jaw clench to feel her eyes on him. Approaching the entrance she nearly halted in her step. She had missed her place of solitude more than she would admit.

Dathan turned before she could land eyes on it, his eyes slowly furrowing. "I want you to know that I did everything I could," he whispered, his hand giving her arm a light squeeze.

She nodded gently side stepping to near the entrance. Soaking in the condition her garden was in a tear slipped from her left eye. It was dead, completely and utterly dead.

"It was not strong enough to withstand this weather." Dathan said.

Gulping the knot in her throat, Scarlett walked in quietly, letting her fingers graze over the fallen pedals inside her fountain.

"It's expected, a rose is a fragile flower, smooth and delicate to hold, it comes apart in your very hands should you hold it wrong." She replied.

"I'll admit that although I did what I could to care for it, it did not responded to my crude touch like yours," he acknowledged.

"I hoped in vain to see it still blooming, but what can one do about this awful weather." She replied. Taking a seat on the fountains rim she rested her hands over her lap, her eyes taking in the dead withered grass as well.

"Shall I give you a moment?" he asked, retreating a few steps.

"

No, there is nothing left here," she quietly replied.

"Yet you manage to bring it to life every year." He said. He took a seat next to her and observed how the roses had recoiled away from the cold and into a dry hard ghastly brown.

"Yes, all it needs is a little water and some tending too and it is back to its full blooming beauty." She replied.

"I hope that the next family that buys this Manor finds this place and tends to it like you did. I'll make certain to point it out. I'm sure you would like that." He said.

Scarlett smiled at his kindness and stood to lead the way out. Before she would vanish she turned over her shoulder and stared at the immense garden one last time. She prayed and hope that this place would forever be somewhere where anyone could find refuge like she had.

~*~*~*~

Upon entering the house Dathan observed every corner of it, reminiscing on the hard memories she must have held of this place. The foyer was where she had been injured, where her dear friend Rose had taken her last breath. The stairs held argument, his tragic fall. The dining area was where he had lastly disputed with her before his collapse. Not to mention his study. His very chambers still held the haunting memory of her exposed form lying underneath his hard frame. The raw images projected in his mind, coiling his stomach with a greed he longed to fulfill. Trying to remain gentlemanly Dathan stopped Scarlett as they approached the foyer.

"It would be my honor to invite you for a stroll outside our home. I more than anyone else know that this place does not hold the upmost cheeriest memories." He said.

"Allow me to refresh myself before departing the ride here was rather unpleasant." She said.

Once she felt ready they left Heart Manor sharing a carriage in silence, only small glances and smiles is all they offered one another before arriving at their destination. Her face paled all the more to see the grand ball room before her. Her heart palpitated hard inside her chest, her stomach twisted and threatened to burst of confused nerves and joy.

"What are we doing here?" she asked, as he helped her descend.

"Father has finally paid in full for this building and soon it will be opened to the public to rent. No doubt great feasts will be held here, wedding, parties." He informed, as he took out a spare key and unlocked the door.

The large fireplace warmed the large lit ball room as their footsteps echoed inside. The ball room floor was still as shiny as he last remembered, the great chandelier above, he hoped, stole her breath away. The candles glistened with a dim glow, projecting the floor as if they both walked on gold.

"It feels quite warm in here," she replied, feeling her red coat suddenly itch against her shoulders.

"I had it prepared and ready for our arrival," he informed.

"Whatever shall we do in here?" she asked.

He took her hand and pulled her in, quietly closing the door, his grip tightening a little as he neared her to a small round table clothed in a thick white table cloth and equipped with two chairs. A rose laid in the center, two wine glasses and empty plates and utensils.

A genuine laugh escaped her as he helped her sit. At his command a waiter professionally walked in, setting their meals on their plates. The aroma was rich and almost delicate to inhale as Dathan anticipated his lid to be pulled off. He observed her reaction, waiting to see what she would say. Finally the wine had been served and their lid removed.

"This...is mouthwatering," she confessed, her eyes gazing at the steak before her.

"Shall we say grace and enjoy our meals?" he suggested.

She smiled, her eyes displaying nothing but gratitude as she nodded in agreement to his suggestion. Then they quietly ate, having small conversations about their family's progress.

"It feels awfully lonely in here." She said, her eyes looking about the immense building. It was only them whom sat at the center of the dance floor before a fireplace and a breathtaking chandelier.

He swallowed the morsel of food in his mouth and wiped at his lips. Without words he simply stood and offered his hand to her. Feeling brave she took his hand and he led them a little away from the table. The waltz began and somewhere in the distance music played lovingly in a violin. Her heart twitched and Scarlett felt tears want to brim as she shared this dance with him.

"Might I be so bold in saying that my heart has missed you," he whispered, his cheek gently gracing against her own.

His fingers skimmed along the buttons of her cream colored dress, gently siting on the curve of her small back. Her breath came in short, her chest tightening to feel his broad shoulders snuggle her against him. All she could offer as a reply was a thin lip smile. He noticed then her jaw clench, was he too close or was she uncomfortable?

"I owe you a dance, many dances in truth, let this be the first one to make amends for all those times I chose to hide away," he then said.

"Thank you," she whispered, her lips inhaling all the air she could.

"Scarlett, I know I've lost you, I can see it in those soft brown eyes of yours, yet I still hope somehow," he replied.

She stopped, her feet coming to a halt just as he stepped back. Her fingers left his grip and a sudden chill filled him as she ripped her gaze away from him. He knew somehow he had upset her as she frowned.

"I feel a bit of a headache coming on," she lied. He knew his words had fallen ill to her and regretted ever saying anything. Yet somehow he could not stop his foolish love struck heart to keep the truth from her.

"Shall we?" he said, taking her red coat from the chair rest and placing it over her shoulders. Slipping into it Scarlett walked ahead, her shoulders hunched in defense. Following after he aided Scarlett into the carriage before he too slipped inside the velvet interior. He could not help but observe her face as it remain now expressionless. His hands itched to reach out and hold her hand, to place tender kisses upon her lips. Yet he knew that his words had hit a mark in her as she observed the autumn weather outside.

"I wager you'd love where we are going next," he said, just to thin the air a bit.

She turned then, her eyes staring into his own making his vest and coat feel too thigh to wear. "Oh, we depart for elsewhere other than home?" she asked.

"Yes, just one last place before you...leave," he almost whispered.

There was nothing else he could force out of her seeing that she had recoiled away from him, her hands fisting in her lap as if an inward battle was taking place within her. When the carriage finally came to a stop again he sighed in relief and stepped out first in order to help her descend.

"I don't recall ever seeing this place before?" she said, as they stood before a large brick building, resembling more a mansion that a professional business.

"There are not many here, this one has just opened its door to the wealthy only, come let us step inside," he replied, wrapping her arm around his own.

He watched her face fill with curiously as he opened one of the large double doors. The fresh air of acrylic and pastel hit their noses as they walked in to a sign that greeted them in to the large foyer of the building. The ceiling was vast and spherical as a rich chandelier lit with red candles flickered dancing shadows in all directions.

"Is this what I think it is?" she whispered, her grip tightening around his arm.

"A private collection of many artist. The mansion use to belong to a Sir Gideon, the man recently passed and in his departure he left behind numerous paintings, in his will he asked that each be displayed properly and with exquisite detail. If I recall correctly his exact words were "I hope they see the world through my eyes, through the exquisite beauty and detail that is these portraits", I am certain they must have some information on this gentleman." Dathan informed.

In the large foyer many detailed pastel and oil paintings hung in enormous canvases, exhibiting the splendor of nature and the time of year past. With a beam she slipped from his hold and shimmied out of her red coat to meander the large mansion. Her feet moved on the floor with such fragility he swore she was floating rather than walking as she observed a painting of an old shabby cabin being attacked by the horrid winter. Yet the red bird displayed in the painting seemed to draw the attention away from the snow and the poor old cabin nearly caving in from the snow. He approached her, his hands tucked behind his back.

"Every painting is speaking, saying something if you just stop and look," Scarlett said, her hand hovering over the painting.

"And what does this say to you?" he asked, observing it once again.

"Well, it tells me that hard times do not last forever, the red bird stands out of the unpleasant weather, drawing the attention away from the old cabin, in other words saying that beauty is still out there although you may find it hard to see," she explained.

He smiled then, satisfied with her answer. "What of this one?" he asked, pointing to a smaller canvas which displayed a lady sitting in a wooden bench with autumn falling over her shoulders.

"Hmm...well autumn of course for me represent the time of year the earth sheds it's form in order to bring forth new life, new leaves, grass, fruit, vegetation. Everything dies but it is reborn in a few short months. I think is speaks of extracting all the negative to bring forth the new and positive. She smiles because she knows hard times come but leave in due time and life starts again, the sun will shine over her once more," she replied.

"I am amazed at how much positivity you can bring from a simple painting," he replied.

"Art will always be my first love," she sighed, walking away to discover the rest of the paintings.

~*~*~*~*~

Scarlett felt her heart clench at the words she had spoken to him. It was as if those painting were speaking directly at her. New life, hard times, and positivity coming out of what she had gone through. Her eyes explored the rest of the displays no longer saying anything, simply enjoying the beauty this man, Sir Gideon, had left behind.

"Well I thank you Sir Gideon," she whispered to herself.

After a while of walking, exploring and having simple small talk Dathan led Scarlett out the door and into the carriage, making sure to leave a donation on the box before getting in himself. She felt her breath halt as she stared out to see the sun nearing the other end of its destination. It was now or never, and she had in truth put it off since the moment she arrived. She just hoped that Sir Heart was right when he said he was certain this would prove to Scarlett Dathan's true feelings. Her heart screamed out to say nay to ignore what he asked of her, and simply let her heart guide her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.9K 2K 26
~Completed~ "Why are you being so shy?" He whispered. "I've seen, kissed, tasted every inch of your body. There is nothing to hide." I averted my e...
158 12 13
Scarlett a university student that goes to DDLC Corporation to do her internship. But the situation she didn't await was getting trapped at the highe...
216 45 18
Life acts so funny when you get to plant but forget to water. Life like dreams, seem distant from her. Rossy, once been in a relationship was heart...
Mindless By Madiya

Historical Fiction

407 48 10
•When she must marry to save the reputation of her family, a young woman finds herself suffering at the expense of her blinded heart• * "She could fe...