Wilting Roses (Formerly known...

By Ortiz-Novels

Heart broken and mistreated by her arranged husband, Scarlett Heart seeks refuge in a massive garden hidden i... More

Cover Art
Copyright © 2014 by Mara L. Ortiz
Wedding Day
Grand Feast
Arrival
2 years and 9 Month's
Tragic Karma
Guilt
Punishment
The Little Things
Apologies
Conflicted
Little Lies
Challanged Thought's
Falling Harder
Heart At Ease
Rejection
Urgent Message
Recovery and Dispair
Hiding in Plain Sight
The Truth
Anticipation
The Encounter
The Day is Gone
Heart Warming Farewell
Carnival
When Push Comes to Shove
Plead Bargin
Holding On to Stay True
Final Blow
True Love's Last Kiss
Pressure
Fear of The Truth
Set Things Right
Confrontation
There's A Fire
Looking for Shelter
Winter Has Come
Peace
Sweet Winter Spring & Summer
Fin

Against All Odds

62.8K 2.2K 74
By Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Twenty Seven

The morning sunshine peered through the forest trees it tainted the clouds with an orange heat and a pink breeze as lavender blended somewhere in the middle.  As the light invaded the large windows of his living room, Dathan felt the faint heat of the morning kiss his skin.  He sighed a light breath as he watched the icy coating on his front lawn melt into glistening dew.  Last night he had paced his living room floor as his heavy footsteps echoed off the empty halls and down the corridor.

"Shall I bring you some tea Sir?" one of his newest maids offered.  Dathan never pried his eyes from the window and simply shook his head as he placed his hands behind his back.  He stood in a pair of long leathered boots, black trousers and a light cotton white shirt, something out of his usual wear.

"Your horse is ready to be ridden Sir, shall I bring it to the front door or will you be going to the stables?" yet another servant asked.

"I will be residing at home. I have no intention of riding to the fields today." He replied.

"What shall I tell the workers?" he shyly asked, his dark brown eyes never leaving the carpet floor.

"Inform them to do their share of the day then send them off home; that will be all." He replied.  The servant simply nodded and departed in haste, clearly wanting to be away from his master's presence.  Little did they know he was no longer the harsh and cruel man he once had been.  When the servant's footsteps faded he relaxed a little, his eyes still scoping every visible part of his front lawn.  Quickly his thought's trailed to the same old task and he stood a little straighter.

What if she changed her mind? It had been nearly a dreaded week and still there was no sign of a letter or her.  He growled as he looked out the window again and fisted his hands. Patience is the key, he told himself.

Suddenly the faint trotting of horses was heard and his eyes searched the dirt road for any sign of rising dust nearby.  He watched as the cloud grew bigger and his heart hammered louder each time the black stallion horses drew nearer.  In haste he hurried towards the front door evading a maid walking by with a large basket filled with laundry.  She yelped as he rushed past her and apologized before he made for the door once again.

The young lad hopped off his horse reaching into his satchel to retrieve the letter he had for his master. "A letter for you sir," he said.

He tried to look calm as his trembling hand gave away his excitement and he reached for it thanking the young boy.  He walked patiently up the steps and once he reached the top floor he rushed over to his study quickly cracking the seal that held the letter 'W' in the melted red wax.

Scarlett had finally set a date to come and Dathan could not help but let a huge grin fill his face.  A week had passed and he thought she would reconsider, but to hear that she was coming after all made his day.  Heading towards his room Dathan placed the letter into his neatly clean drawer. She would be arriving in exactly two day's and the idea of having her back made him panic suddenly.

He hadn't thought of any way to keep Scarlett overnight, he had been so caught up with having the letter arrive that he had completely forgotten.  He felt his body heavy at the tough of losing her indefinitely.  There had to be a way to prove to her that he did truly loved her.  Confessing had not convinced her at all it had only made her think that he loved her out of pity.  Which was not the case at all, Dathan had fallen in love with Scarlett because of her inner beauty, besides the fact that she was beautiful.  He thought about her big brown eyes and the way her dimples showed every time she smiled and it made him grin like a complete fool in love.

She had known who he was, but she did not know who he was now.  Scarlett had changed him completely and had opened his eyes to the error of his ways.  For that he was thankful, it showed that she did care for him and that there was always some good in people no matter what. Besides her beauty being something to capture him, Scarlett was an independent woman. She challenged him in way he never expected to be challenged. She was poised and content with whatever she had. She was not greedy and loved from the heart. Not to mention the kindness that radiated from her very soul.

"I'll prove to you somehow." He grinned

Reaching into his shirt he pulled from around his neck a thin golden chair containing her wedding band.  He was determined to place this very ring back on her finger and make sure this time to leave it there forever.

***

Her mother held an ill-humored expression as her hands fisted on each side of her hips.  Disagreement was written all over her sea green eyes as she let out a small huff and crossed her arms. "Why Scarlett?" she simply asked.

"Mother, shall I go with the silver pendant or the blue one?" she more than changed the subject.

"Listen to me," her mother said in a stricter tone.

Taking a deep breath she answered her, "He has to know that I am done with all of this. I want a new life, and someone else."  Lies! All bloody lies!  Her mind shouted out to her.

For the moment she would have to wait and see if Sir Heart's new little test would play right in his eyes.  Frankly she had seen the whole idea preposterous when he confronted her about it.  She closed her eyes as her mind brought back memories of their little argument not a week ago.

"I will not have you run back into his arms so quickly, he must learn a very valuable lesson.  Is that understood?"  Sir Heart had ordered.

"I fail to see where he needs anymore punishment." She protested.

"My dear, he took you for granted, treated you like the dust in the air," he grouched.

"I have forgiven him for such cruel behavior." Whispered Scarlett.

"Do you want to get your heart broken once again?  Trust me when I say that I will get to the bottom of his confession and know once and for all if his declaration lays true.  I love my son and love is not blasphemy."

"No, I do not wish to get my heart broken again." she sighed in defeat.

"This is what you will do..."

His words trailed to the back of her head as she finally finished pinning her hair and her mother's words cut through her thoughts.

"I do not wish for you to get hurt again." Her mother whispered.  "Scarlett...I will not stand in your way if this is what you truly want."

Her thin fragile hands came to rest on her daughter's firm shoulders and with a light squeeze she pecked her cheek and smiled halfheartedly at her through the mirror.  Scarlett knew that there was no fooling her mother.  After all it had been her whom taught her daughter how to seek the best in people.

"Your father had forbidden the very idea of you returning to Heart Manor, but I spoke to the man and now that his anger has subsided he has decided to let you follow your heart."

"You spoke with father about this?" Scarlett asked wide eyed.

"I had to. There are no secrets between your father and I." She grinned.

"What did he say?" Scarlett whispered meeting her mother's eyes.

"Your father thinks long and hard before he makes a final decision. In the end he recalled the old days when his heart faltered at the sight of me, he somehow understood." She explained.

"Thank you." She said.

With one long tight embrace her mother chuckled, letting out her fear in that single gesture and stared at her daughter for a long moment before departing from her chambers.  She sat there looking at her reflexion and lightly ran her fingers over her face as she covered it and wept feeling so awful for what she was about to do.  Truth was that she needed to guard her heart and if Dathan was who he confessed to be then all of this drama would come to an end. She prayed that in the end he would understand why she did it.

Light rapping disturbed her weeping and she quickly wiped away any trace of languishing from her face.  She allowed whoever stood outside her door to enter and upon seeing Nichole's delicate face poke trough she forced a smile.

"Could I have a word?" Nicole asked.

"Of course." She chirped.

"Truth is dear sister I did not know whom to seek out for such advice as this."

Nicole seemed tense as she closed the door and walked over to Scarlett whom still sat in front of her dresser.  A blush took over her pale features and Nicole quickly knelt next to Scarlett taking her hands into hers.

"Whatever is the matter?" Scarlett asked, concerned.

"I think I'm in love," Nicole confessed.

Scarlett heart gave a little leap as she smiled down at Nicole and quickly pushed her up to hold her in a tight embrace.  She couldn't be happier for her!

"Then tell me, what is it that draws you to this lad?"

"Everything, he has charm, charisma, and most of all he is attractive." She replied, exploding with happiness.

"What of his name?"

"Drake Worrall," she gushed.

"I do not believe I am familiar with the name, where on earth did you meet him?"

"His family has just moved here from up state somewhere, we met him a month ago in a small reunion father attended." she explained.

"What does Drake Worrall say of you?"

"He does not know that I feel for him that way," Nicole muttered, disappointed.

"Is he courting someone?"

"No," Nicole replied, a devious grin on her face.

"Try writing him a letter confessing how you feel. That is if you are ready to let him know the thoughts of your heart?"

"I could never! I can't even breathe at the mere sight of him.  Oh, Scarlett how did you manage to tell Dathan that you loved him!?" Nicole asked, in her desperation.

The question made her feel tense and she searched for words to respond, but failed to find any.  She had never actually said the words 'I Love You' to Dathan.  She knew exactly how Nicole felt, and how nervous one got to be around the person you felt affection for.

"Well how did you tell him?" she asked again.

"I didn't, it was probably one of the reasons why our marriage failed," she frowned looking away from her.  "Perhaps it's best that you talk to someone else about love," she whispered feeling her mouth turn sour.

Nicole stared at Scarlett, and without another word she rose and walked out of her room feeling pity for her.  Scarlett sat there starring at her hands and felt the urge to cry, but she had had enough of that. 

***

"So she will be arriving tomorrow then?" asked Sir Heart.

"She sent a letter out to me a day ago." Dathan said to his father.

"Well, I do not like the idea of it son." He honestly replied.

"Father, I need to show her how I feel, confessing it to her did not work at all,"

"And you think showing her will?"

"I honestly believe so," Dathan said, as hope filled his expression.

"How do you plan to do that?" Sir Heart asked studying his son closely.

"I am lost for words to explain, I just know that I have to try." Dathan said. They sat in the waiting room, his father's cigar slowly filling the air with the irritating smell of tobacco. Dathan hadn't left his mansion since the letter had arrived. It was Matthew who had been hard at work in the fields for the past week. He would have to pay him double for such generosity.

"Ha! You want to convince her but you haven't thought of anyway to do so," Sir Heart said, with amusement in his voice.

"I am afraid that if I do try to show her how I fell it will scare her off. The fact on the matter is that...I don't know how." He confessed. Three years ago he would have laughed in the face of whomever told him that one day he's be having such conversations with his father.

"Love is something that comes naturally, you don't think of ways to convince that person that you love them, they will see it for themselves." His father tried to explain.

"How?"

"Just be yourself Son, if you do not know who you are, then no one can help you.  It is not good to lead people by fake appearances, which will only end in catastrophe." He replied, patting him on the shoulder.

Dathan stared at his father in desperation. What if that didn't work and Scarlett ignored all of his actions.  He entwined his fingers together and rested his elbows on his knees, staring off into the distance he began to think that this plan would fail.

"Just try and relax, do not think too much about it or you will go insane," his father advised rising from the settee.

"I think it might be a little too late for that," he muttered, shaking his head and taking a deep breath.

"Well, I must be on my way and another thing son. I know love can be quite distracting but do not neglect your plantation. The worked have begun to wonder if you have died." He said.

He sat there after his father had left for nearly two more hours and began to think about stepping back a little.  He didn't want to suffocate her and make her leave sooner; he would remain calm and try to at least make peace with her.

Standing he headed towards the front door for some fresh air.  He watched the trees begin to lose their color, brushing lightly over the dirt road.  The wind had begun to pick up and the trees moved from side to side, sprinkling leaves in all directions.  Fiddling with the gold chain around his neck he looked down to Scarlett's small wedding ring.  Then a memory came to him as he held it in his hand.

"I should be wearing that ring not her!" Shouted Camille.

            "I have bickered with you about this endless times! We will be divorced in three years, and then we can get married," Dathan said, trying to calm her.

            "Do not lie to me," she warned.

            "They will go by fast, and besides what are you worried about?  I haven't put you aside just because she is living here?"

            "I know, it's just that my plan was ruined," there was a certain shock in her eyes as she said this and she bit down on her lip before she could say more.

            "Plan?"

            "About you and me being together, she has gotten in the way of our happiness,"

            "What was I to do about all of this? What's done is done and I can't wait to rid of her." She explained.

Dathan had missed all the obvious clues that showed Camille was only in on it for the money.  He felt regret as he thought about all the times everyone had warned him about her and her family.  He had refused to listen and Camille almost had it her way, if it had not been for his fall. Now the woman was roaming Harland and hiding from the many people who sought her head. She knew it was not safe for her to step foot outside. The moment that she did the people in this City would seek to have her hanged.

Justice had not been given and although the Worthington's had simply let the issue be he had not felt content that they had not fought to seek justice for Scarlett. A mad woman such as Camille was dangerous to keep about

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 12 4
We can't always choose who we fall in love with. Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made. Tamara loved her husband. Or so she thought, until his cousin...
2.3K 202 19
Scarlet falls in love with her best friend. And then he breaks her heart by cheating. With the bullying and the taunting, she manages to find someone...
164 12 13
Scarlett a university student that goes to DDLC Corporation to do her internship. But the situation she didn't await was getting trapped at the highe...
313 27 28
Scarlette recently lost her mother and has been on the run ever since. She has no idea that she is one of the most powerful witches around. She meets...