Power and The Queen

By _ToniaFrancis

"The prophecy never spoke of a King only a Queen when the real problem was with the men. None of them are wil... More

Decrees from the palace.
Prologue.🟢
Chapter One.🟢
Chapter Two.🟢
Chapter Three.🟢
Chapter Four.🟢
Chapter Five.🟢
Chapter Six.🟢
Chapter Seven.🟢
Chapter Eight.🟢
Chapter Nine. 🟢
Chapter Ten.🟢
Chapter Eleven. 🟢
Chapter Twelve. 🟢
Chapter Thirteen. 🟢
Chapter Fourteen(part one). 🟢
Chapter Fourteen(part two)🟢
Chapter Fifteen. 🟢
Chapter Sixteen. 🟢
Chapter Seventeen. 🟢
Chapter Eighteen. 🟢
Chapter Nineteen. 🟢
Chapter Twenty. 🟢
Chapter Twenty-One. 🟢
Chapter Twenty-two.🟢
Chapter Twenty- three. 🟢
Chapter Twenty-four.🟢
Chapter Twenty-five.🟢
Chapter Twenty -six. 🟢
Chapter Twenty-seven. 🟢
Chapter Twenty-eight. 🟢
Chapter Twenty - Nine. 🟢
Chapter Thirty.🟢
Chapter Thirty - One.🟢
Chapter Thirty - Two.🟢
Chapter Thirty - Three.🟢
Chapter Thirty - Four. 🟢
Chapter Thirty - Five.🟢
Chapter Thirty - Six.🟢
Chapter Thirty - Seven.🟢
Chapter Thirty - Eight.🟢
Chapter Thirty - Nine.🟢
Chapter Forty - One.🟢
Chapter Forty - Two 🟢
Chapter Forty - Three 🟢
Chapter Forty - four 🟢
Chapter Forty - Five 🟢
Chapter Forty- Six 🟢
Chapter Forty - Seven
Chapter Forty - Eight 🟢

Chapter Forty. 🟢

14 0 0
By _ToniaFrancis

King Icarus had never been more confused in his life. One day he had everything figured out and by the next court session everything fell apart. He had been ruling for far too long to know things like these happen.

His Father the former King of Trevillia had gone through worse and His mother was not much help. He raised his eyes to the sky, clutching a rail from the balcony he stood at. All those years ago the gods had taken his parents and given him a mandate to rule, yet he never once felt their help.

One would think it was because he never offered sacrifices, but Dominica prayed at the temple every day for his household. He tried to remember where everything had gone wrong. His Generals found it difficult to agree on a strategy and from the rumors the reaching his court, the King of Volturun is gathering an armada. He prayed it was not a result of Artemis doing.

Icarus knew should Trevillia go to war they would likely face defeat. They were too divided to fight any strong opponent, and it had been years since he left his Kingdom.

He agreed to find Grathos because Artemis felt it would solve their problem. King Icarus was clueless to the problem, yet he had been trying to solve it. He walked back inside and headed for his Queen.

She barely came out of her chambers after their son was released. Maybe she felt it as well as he did, how close they were to losing their heir. King Icarus spotted the Princess Sophia on his way.

Sophia looked shaken as she walked past him quickly, only stopping for a second to curtsey. She was looking stressed as he was. Perhaps he should take her off court duties as she had years to learn the ways of court in theory. He thought about that later as the doors to Queen Artemis' hall opened.

He gave her this gift after she assisted in a riddle. He felt she needed her space. Unlike he expected she was not sitting rather she was at the window Sil in a corner. Next to her were two chairs and a table with a finished game of chess. He understood quickly why Sophia walked past in a hurry. She lost against her mother again.

"You really should let her win some day," he said, announcing his presence.

All the servants and guards disappeared without notice, leaving just them. Queen Artemis did not turn to face him immediately, for she was in deep thought.

"The day she defeats me, she may have my crown." Artemis replied.

She still gazed at the palace through the window.

King Icarus sighed and poured himself some wine, chugging it all down. He had been too busy to even sit down and enjoy some wine with his Queen as he used to. He stared too long at the empty chalice, remembering what it was like.

"I take it you've heard about Trolvidis." he raised his eyes up to meet hers.

She had left the window Sil and now stood in front of him.

"Voltun is rising, Artemis. We would be foolish not to be ready."

"We both know Trolvidis is mad but not insane enough to attack us" she scoffed.

Artemis sat on a chair. She dressed causally in a gown that was loose around her with her hair brushed down.

"I speak of an emergency Artemis, My spies count 10, 000 men at the ready with ships uncountable. Soon they would control the seas, even the ones far from their border. They are calling out, waiting for our reaction, yet we have a problem that has gotten worse since the night of the prophecy." he blurted out.

Artemis was taken back. Her bored expression was gone the moment she stood.

"The prophecy has nothing to do with this. Trolvidis is being foolish and you would see that too."

"What if the Kingdoms rise against us? Think about it Artemis you have Lockey's Princess serving as your maid!"

"She committed treason in our own court!"

"There's a better way." he stated and poured more wine.

He downed that one too.

"Why have you come?" Queen Artemis asked.

He must have been really trouble, for he rarely confronted her this way.

"Artemis, we are dancing to the tune Grathos plays for us. They almost had our son brainwashed. He could have used him against us like he did with me." He paused but continued quickly.

"The Prefect of Sars sent a report which you would have known if you were not too occupied with this plan of yours. If the Bandits get to control the Sars our armies would starve! What have you been doing, Artemis? What have I been chasing? I came to know just that. I do not know what to do nor where to start and our daughter is trying too much. And Grathos you can catch anytime, why did you ask me to find him? He is out there because you want him to. This is either a game for you or you are not as powerful as you used to be!"

King Icarus stopped there as he heard her inhale sharply. He knew he had struck a nerve.

"Is that all?" the Queen questioned calmly not long after.

"Artemis?" King Icarus questioned as he fought through the sharp pain in his chest.

He just explained to her some major problems of the kingdom, and that was all she had to say. She smiled and came closer to him. All his instincts screamed at him to step back, but he just could not move.

Queen Artemis strolled towards him and for the first time since he met her in those fields he felt terrified of her. She caressed his face, giving him a light kiss on the lips. He looked away.

"Icarus, look at me." she whispered.

Her voice sent a shiver through him but against his will he looked at her. What was happening?

"Good, do not worry my King, I will make everything alright. I will seek guidance and everything will be fine." 

He knew she was lying, but no matter how much he tried to convince himself the more he believed her. He saw her eyes had changed colour, a bright shade of violet, why had he not seen that? The king was out of breath and even in the spacious hall he felt trapped. He found strength and shook himself back, leaving her immediately. Rushing outside, he gasped for breath, leaving a stunned Artemis in the hall.

He turned the sunny sky and looking away only when he saw colours. The shift in the colours where much like Artemis change.  What was that?

King Icarus was in a tight spot. He wanted to make the right move after ignoring the problem for so long. Who could help save his Kingdom? His Fathers before him never brought destruction on the Kingdom. Why did it feel as though his reign would be the end of Bolivia?

Frustrated beyond measure, King Icarus looked ahead of him in deep thought. Maybe he would call for the elders in his council. The Queen had gotten rid of the advisors and assumed the role.

The elders may not be eager to assist him for his previous mistreatment, but luckily he had kept Lord Bathias in court.  He decided immediately, turning towards his carriage.

Not too far from him, there was a girl in the garden. At least he hoped he was seeing right. She sat among the plants; her face buried in a book. That was odd for a girl.  He stopped his movement, noticing something familiar about her.

The sun reflected on her hair, and it was a magical sight. It drew him to her. As he walked closer to the girl, he seemed to recognize her as the one his son kept close to him. He could see that she was truly beautiful. But what did she want out here?

The girl did not notice his presence, nor that of the guard behind him, and he stopped them from calling her attention. She must be really hooked in the book she read while sitting on a cement stool.

The King for the first time commended his fathers for this garden. It was calming by nature, allowing your thought to travel wildly.

He laid out his plans in his mind and pictured every outcome, and none of them was positive. Trevillia cannot go to war, not while he still breathes. He thought of reaching out to Teslianna if things with Voltrun get worse. If they planned on raiding the Kingdom, Neria would be first. He should warn the Governor but that would not be enough.

"What could go wrong?" the girl asked, drawing him out of his thoughts.

She asked the question with her eyes still on the book. She raised her head up when he said nothing. He saw the shock on her face as she dropped to her knees, her head to the ground.

"Your Majesty!" She exclaimed. "I did not know it was you."

The King sighed, signalling for her to seat. The book had fallen to the ground, but the girl was afraid to make a move to pick it up.

"A Queenly quest to the north." he read the title out loud. "I see you've taken interest to the first Queen of this great kingdom. I'm sure she would know what to do."

Cora found courage and picked up her book. She wanted to leave the king to his thoughts. She forgot she left the library, and she didn't have to reply to almost all of lord Bathias' mumble.

Something inside her told her to help. Her father was murdered because of the terrible governance. She was wrongfully arrested and her younger brother taken. The man responsible for all these was sitting right next to her, yet she wanted to help.

It seems the king expected her to leave him because it surprised him when she sat back down.

"You seek to unite the people, but you're failing because you only do what you feel would work." She told him. "King Reas set up the Prefects so he could provide for the people according to their needs.  Your Majesty, do you know what your people want?"

King Icarus knew the girl was right. He did not know why he listened, maybe because he was desperate for anything that could help him. The prefect of his council, were more loyal to the Queen than to him. After she humiliated Vlad and his wife things had taken a drastic turn. The Nobles were afraid of losing their status.

"What are you called girl?" King Icarus asked.

He gave signs to the guard to take steps away from them. He wanted to hear what she had to say, and he needed her to be comfortable.

"Cora, your Majesty."

"You read? I was told you were a commoner."

The king pointed out. He considered the wise words she had just spoken.

"My Father taught me how."

"What is his name?"

"You carry his sword at your side, my king."

"He is a weapon master then?"

"He was," she kept her head low. "There was a raid in Ovalon." she answered his question even though he never spoke them.

"I did not realize I spoke out loud. You didn't have to hear that child." he reflected, after which he roared in laugher. "Looks like I'm getting old."

"I don't think you are old Your Majesty."

The King did not answer. He stared at the pretty flowers in deep thought.

Cora knew it troubled him. She had assumed it was Zach. She had been waiting a long time. She wanted to see him, she was finally ready to show herself to him. It surprised her to find the king in their meeting spot. He looked so much like Zach when he would stay up plotting. She wished she could help him, but that could put Zach and Trevillia in danger.

"Your Majesty, I'm not sure what action you would take, but know that your are the king. There are people willing to give you advice, you just have to ask. Your humility may yet save the kingdom." she told him.

Where did all this courage come from? A moment ago she was about to piss herself sitting next to the King.

"What would you know about humility girl," the King sneered, almost enraged.

Cora did not shiver as she did before. Instead, she wondered how the King switched his emotions from laugher to anger so quickly. She did not think so much of the King's questions. She had her understanding of the Court from what Lord Bathias taught her and what she read.

"Only what I read, Your Majesty." She answered. "Humility is a trait that has made Trevillian Kings great. This Kingdom Your Majesty will not fall only if you can be humble enough to listen to your people. Seek the direction of the gods in all things and you will find your way."

The King was in deep thought by what she said. He could have silenced her but he didn't. Maybe it was because he had spent much time with Sophia. This girl was much older and, as he noticed, much wiser. He knew what he would do.

Icarus got up immediately and walked to his carriage. The Queen had been nothing but unreasonable, but this girl helped without knowing what the full problem was. He clutched the sword at his side, realizing she never gave the name of the weapons master. Who was she, really?

"If I regain the trust of these people, will you assist me in court?" The King asked.

It almost sounded like a request. His words surprised Cora. The King wanted her a commoner in his Court.

"Your Majesty, you have been told I am a commoner. If you wish it, I do not have a choice but to do as you say." She fell to her Knees.

                       *   *   *

He took small sips of the water in his palm as he drank. Behind him, several inmates whispered within themselves as they have been doing for the past few days. The games were not to set start anytime soon, so he observed as he always did. Unlike most of the leaches they forced him to train with, he had no one to report to. He could barely call what he did with them training.

There was someone drawing the most attention. Latarbach bet in his mind he should have died weeks ago, but there were forces who wanted him alive. He was Vlad the former Governor.

The walking corpses behind him whispered something about him. Latarbach spat out the rest of the water on the floor. He did not think there was a soul in this tournament that did not crave Vlad's blood.

If not for revenge then for the price they assume is on his head, but that was not his reason for coming to Neria. He walked out, back to the training grounds, drawing stares as he passed.

The slaves that had arrived with him had soon found or formed a clique, a master who they think would keep them safe till the tournament, but he had stayed by himself. He knew they avoided him because of his build and the scars on his body.

The sun stung his eye, but he did not flinch. As he turned, he watched as the Vlad was once again knocked to the floor with a blow to the head. He turned away and walked to a different corner.

They would treat him if he was dying, anyway. After what he did, the King will take much pleasure in watching Vlad ripped limb from limb or was it their much cherished Queen.

He sat on a bench and watch the fighting styles the other used in practice while his mind reminisced over all he had gathered the last few days. Something was going to happen. They had been too many whispers.

The whispers did not bother Latarbach, what bothered him was a lot of it had Vlad's name in it. He let out a grunt. He hated getting involved with the politics of any country he went to. But there was something different about this one. He knew Trevillia would be different, but he never knew there were still person who could make him go back on his vows.

Latarbach angrily rushed back to the rest area to draw some answers. Enough with the whispers. He barged into the rest area, but it appeared he walked into a trap. The men were more than he left them.

They had looks on their faces like they were expecting him. He tried to hide his hatred, but his eyes told it all. Vile scum!

That was all he saw when he looked at them. They forced stern looks on their faces and glared hard at his form. What was this supposed to be, a challenge?!

"Easy Dravo," a voice called calmly from the dark corner of the room.

The man got up and came closer to stand above a small hole above the cave like structure that gave light to the room. He knew him. He walked around like he was Governor of the arena.

Number one the list of those who want Vlad dead was this guy. No one knew his actual name as they addressed him as Demon's Blood. The inmates thought him half demon. Latarbach hoped to face him in the arena so he can know what it is like to make be chaos itself.

Demon's blood walked around Latarbach in a circle. Latarbach kept his guard up. He has since the fire on the ship that brought him here.

"I assume you know what shall happen here tonight," Demon's blood said, stopping his assessment.

Latarbach almost flinched. He spoke so well, honorable even. How does a scum like this get education? There were loop holes he did not like it. But Demon blood was right. This supposed confrontation confirmed his suspicion of what was going to happen tonight.

"What does it matter to you?" Latarbach growled.

"Ah, he speaks." Demon's blood laughed his heart out, after which he struck Latarbach a blow on his face. He did not move an inch.

The inmates surrounded him stayed on alert, expecting Latarbach to retaliate. He never showed his full strength, not even half of it, but he never lost a joust. Latarbach only lowered his eyes to meet the gaze of the man that struck him.

"Do not assume you cannot bend. You either join or you stay out of it." Demon's blood said and walked out. The rest followed suit.

Latarbach knew what he must do. If he had a care for Demon's blood, he would have warned him he was already involved. In fat he was the force they would face if wanted to get through to kill the ex governor. He went about his day not speaking to anyone.

He only watched those who spar, noting the improvement of some who hoped to survive this place. He had been in enough arenas to know the only thing leaving this arena were their souls, especially with him here. The only difference is they would have a fighting chance.

After practice tie was over, the inmates went to have dinner, but Latarbach remained where he sat till nightfall. Those who passed where he sat crossed legs on the floor try not to look at him for fear of being killed.

There was a rule guiding against killing anyone before the tournament, but no one considered it. He did. Unlike these worms, he had honor however little. Which is why he's giving each of them a fighting chance so they can die with honor?

He wondered if honor meant anything to these men in here. It was because he still had honor that this new Governor had convinced him to working for him. Somehow he had known that he could be trusted. Latarbach never had someone trust him with saving another before.

Nothing happened at nightfall. The guards came to where he sat to tell him it was time to go to his cage. Even the guards were afraid of him. They stood ten feet away to convey their concerns. He knew it was going to start any moment now, so he stalled till he heard the first cry from the guard far away.

"Did you hear that?" one guard asked his companion.

"Something is happening we have to go back." The other said and the two o them ran to the cages.

Latarbach watched them run. They had left a torch on the ground for him, which he picked up and put it out wit sand. He wanted the moon and the stars in the sky to be a witness to his triumph today. He took his time getting to the cages.

As he expected there was chaos everywhere. Everything that could burn in sight was burning. Sweaty bodies ran around everywhere, beating each other and shouting at the top of their lung. It was a riot.

It did not surprise him they resulted to this. He expected it. With the influence Demon's blood is rumored to have outside, he may have paid the guard to stay out of it because he found no guard in sight, even the ones that had come after him before.

They were either paid to ignore or they were hiding for their lives. This plan was almost perfect; they would start a riot to cover the fact that they were committing bloody murder.

The cave was hotter because of the fires, but he went in the opposite direction towards the side yard where they would usually assemble for announcement. Instead of loud cries like the chaos in the cave, his ears met laugher. The yard had a circle of men making jest of someone taking a beating in the middle. They cheered their leader on, cursing who he believes was Vlad.

Latarbach broke the circle by pushing through the bodies before him. He did so just in time to see the Dravo almost bury a small knife in Vlad's throat. His feet moved fast as he pushed Dravo to the ground getting on top of him, he pinned the hand holding the knife with one hand punching him with his other arm. The cheering stopped when the men realize what was happening.

"What are you moron standing there for? Get him!" yelled Demon's blood, who frown where he sat like some kind of king.

The inmates rushed for Latarbach and he stood up his gigantic form towered most of them. He held Dravo's unconscious body like it was nothing and threw it before Demon's blood

"If you want to kill this man," Latarbach pointed to Vlad. "You have to get through me."

The men looked to Dravo's unconscious body and then to Latarbach and took retreating steps away. Demon's blood came forward in a threatening manner and glared up at him. The frown dug deep into his forehead like a tattoo would on skin. He had lost this round.

"We finish this in the arena let all of Bolivia watch me humiliate you for this disrespect," Demon's blood spat on Vlad who was bleed and winced on the floor. "You will get what's coming to you and I shall give you the death you deserve." He said and walked away.

Latarbach knew he meant every word, but he hoped Demon's blood would lived to fulfill them. He turned to Vlad on the floor. Although he did not want the had to help him off the floor and get him to wash off the blood from the beating. He would have trouble sleeping for the next few days and he could not train.

"Why?" Vlad breathed out as he pulled him up.

"Worry about staying alive. It would be better if your child watches you die in the tournament with honor. Whatever honor you have left." Latarbach said and helped him into a comfortable spot in the caves.

                    -  #   #   #  -

So sorry for the late chapter but you I hope you enjoyed it after waiting so long.

Please don't forget to comment your thoughts on the story.

Her Majesty sends her love 💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

827K 35.4K 57
Welcome to the Empire. Where the Prophecy is law, and betrayal is the only way to survive it. ...
Luna By jaz

Fantasy

64 1 13
When fire is what you remember from your home and darkness is what you have left from your mother. Stories of what people though of your mother but y...
11.1K 944 80
Book 1 of 2 Aislinn Jones has had a unique problem for as long as she can remember: her dreams. They are vivid and haunting, and plague her whenever...
717K 28.4K 33
By the age of sixteen, all elves are claimed by one of the six Gods and inherit some of their abilities. There is Aria (air), Lionel (earth), Kalama...