Powerless

By mjwritesfics

When a vicious and well-connected serial killer escapes from prison with a vendetta against the BAU, Strauss... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
AUTHORS NOTE

Chapter 2

36K 862 4.5K
By mjwritesfics

The bumpy landing didn't do anything in terms of helping your anxiety over the whole situation. As the jet began its descent, you stirred awake with a jolt, a gasp falling from your lips. 

"Morning sleeping beauty," Derek laughs, adjusting his sunglasses. Emily had changed into her sundress already, and Hotch was rockin' a polo. You look up and see Spencer asleep above you, lanky body draped over the back of the couch, quiet snores leaving his parted mouth. "We're here. Wake up pretty boy over there" 

Lifting your arm you poke at his cheek, laughing at the scowl that appears on his face as he comes to. He groans dramatically and throws his head onto yours, mumbling something about 2 more minutes. 

"Spencer get off of me," you giggle, pushing his dead weight up and sitting upright. Emily whispers something to Derek that you can't quite make out as Reid finally gets his bearings. You notice he had taken off his sweater and was left in a plain white tee shirt, exposing his biceps that were surprisingly toned. No, Y/N, stop thinking that way. "So what's the game plan, Hotch?"

"SUVs are picking us up and bringing us to the compound. From there, we just stay within our safety zone until there's a break in the case," Hotch explains. You watch amusedly as he tries to loosen up while still maintaining his authority. "I have to warn you all, Garcia has already texted me and it looks like the booze is flowing" 

"Perfect," you laugh as the plane touches down, grabbing your bag as the pilot gives the all clear to disembark. Reid follows behind you, looking around at the palm trees surrounding the air field. "Shit, it's humid here" 

"Good thing we have a pool," Derek notes, met with unanimous nods. "Y/N, just a warning, when I get in the pool try not to stare too hard. It's not polite" 

Emily snorts and hits him playfully, rolling her eyes at his joke. You giggle and raise a brow playfully as you approach the SUVs. 

"Y/N and Reid, take that one," Hotch points, noting your giant suitcase. You both nod and settle in the backseat, greeting the FBI agent/driver/private security with a wave. 

The drive to the compound is short, and mostly consists of Spencer pointing out different types of greenery and birds that you pass. His foot is still tapping and you can tell he's trying to distract himself, so you ask questions to keep him talking, despite not giving a single shit about anything he's saying. 

"This is it?" he finally asked amazedly as the car enters through a gate, only to be followed by a short drive down a scenic path and another gate. The main house is gorgeous, a sight out of Good Housekeeping with perfectly kept landscaping and a beautiful modern chandelier visible through the main window. Two smaller houses rest on each side with gates that lead to what you can only assume is the pool. 

"Holy shit," you say, mouth agape as you get out of the car and walk around to the trunk. Spencer grabs your suitcase for you and you smile, heading toward the house with a childlike wonder. 

"Ciao Bella!" Rossi's familiar voice greets you in the foyer, his white vacation pants making you laugh as he instantly hands you a glass of wine. "Glad you could join us!" 

"You do realize there's a serial killer after us, right?" you laugh and give him a hug, staring around the massive entrance. 

"Yeah, but we're powerless to it," he shrugs, the wine clearly helping the situation. "May as well kick back and enjoy this gorgeous villa. The bureau will handle the rest" 

Spencer taps his foot again, looking around anxiously before asking, "which bedroom should I take?" 

"Hello my spring chickens!" Penelope bursts in on cue, cheeks flushed and a big smile on her face as she hugs the two of you like you've just returned from war. "I'm so glad you're finally here!" 

"This is the main house, it has 4 bedrooms. JJ, Garcia and I have already claimed three of them, and I'm pretty sure I heard Hotch say he wants the other one. Something about better internet," Rossi grins. "Each guest house has 2 bedrooms, though! So choose whichever!" 

You both nod and head out back, Reid admiring the vast pool yard as you walk over to the guest house with suitcases in front of it. Emily and Derek are inside unpacking, whispering about something you can't quite make out. 

"Em," you wave. "Which room is yours?"

"Derek and I are gonna take this guest house," she says coolly. "You and Reid can take the other!" 

Furrowing your brows slightly, you look at her for a second. Derek stifles a laugh and excuses himself into his bedroom, only to return seconds later with an amused look. Her eyes stay locked on yours, as if she's trying to convey a message of sorts. 

"Are you two...?" you whisper, looking around to make sure nobody is around. "You know? Sleeping together?"

The two burst out laughing, shaking their heads. They're telling the truth, you can tell. 

"Not us, sweetheart," Morgan smirks, raising an eyebrow. You give him a confused look, fully aware of what he's getting at but not wanting to say it yourself. "Come on, it's definitely gonna happen at some point. We may as well fast track the whole thing" 

"I don't know what you're talking about," you deny, twisting your lips. Prentiss scoffs and the two laugh again, a hot flush running over your cheeks. "Whatever. You guys are tapped. I'm going to unpack, I'll see you at the pool in a few" 

"If you even make it there," Derek calls out, his voice echoing enough for Reid to hear and shoot you a quizzical look. You shake your head and enter your guest house, a smaller cottage with two massive bedrooms. Embarrassment flooding your body as you unpack your suitcase, you flop down on the bed before changing, a knock on the doorframe startling you. 

"This is nice," Spencer looks around your room with a friendly grin. You nod enthusiastically, trying your hardest not to let Derek and Emily's implications get to you. "I think everyone else is swimming already, if you wanna come. I'm just gonna change real quick" 

"Yeah," you nod excitedly, standing up again. Spencer closes the door and you dig through your drawers for a bathing suit. 

Shit, you mumble to yourself. In your frantic early morning state, you hadn't thought about which bathing suits you were grabbing. The red bikini was way too much cleavage for your co-workers, and the yellow one is basically a thong. You sigh in relief as you grab the floral patterned one piece you had gotten last year, sliding it on and admiring how it hugs your curves. A little cleavage never hurt anybody, you think to yourself as you throw on a cover up and head out to the pool. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm so burnt I can barely move," Emily whines from her chaise lounger, sipping on her pina colada that JJ had whipped up using the blender. You laugh from your tube in the deep end, head resting against the pink rubber without a care in the world, despite the fact you were all being targeted. Nope, not gonna think about it. You're safe here. 

"Who's fault is that?" Rossi laughs from the hot tub, fully embracing his Italian-ness with a gold cross chain and a glass of red wine. "We told you that the sun is stronger down here!"

"Y/N you're kinda burnt too," Spencer notes. He's sitting in the deep end near you, comfortably settled on the ledge. His surprisingly toned torso has sprinklings of hair throughout, thickening into a trail below his belly button and disappearing into his purple swim shorts. "Come here, let me get the back of your neck at least" 

You kick over to him, smiling gratefully as he grabs the sunblock from the edge of the pool and rubs it on your neck and upper back. You scrunch your nose up as you thank him, sliding through the tube and swimming over to the ledge, resting your elbows on it. The alcohol is making you more open, flirting shamelessly with your co-workers who had become your close friends. Reid looks down at you, a smirk appearing on your face as you watch him glance at your chest before awkwardly looking away. 

"Having fun?" you ask sweetly, subconsciously pushing your boobs closer together. Well, maybe consciously - may as well test Emily and Derek's theory a little bit. He nods and sips his drink, legs kicking and accidentally splashing you with a wall of water. You slip underwater, smoothing your hair as you come to the surface and grabbing onto his lower leg. "There's no gym here, so do leg lifts with me as your resistance" 

Spencer shakes his head with a chuckle, straightening his leg with you attached. You make an excited noise as you move toward the surface, giggling as he brings you back down. 

"I don't work out," he laughs awkwardly, looking at you curiously. You pout, resting your chin on his knee for a moment before swimming away with a devilish grin, intent on bothering Morgan who was relaxing on the opposite end of the pool. 

"Could've fooled me," you shout to Spencer with a wink, giggling like a school girl as his face flushes. Rossi watches in amusement before returning to his book, and Penelope exchanges a sly look with JJ from their chairs. 

"What's going on I can't see," Emily grumbles from her stomach, face buried in a towel on the lounge. The other two ladies laugh, whispering something you can't quite make out from your distance. "Oh my goodness, I was right! I told you all! Rossi owes me $10!"

"For what?" Spencer asks curiously, furrowing his brows at JJ's deer in headlights look. For professional profilers, your friends really weren't discreet and didn't take into account the fact that both you and Reid could pick up on their sidebars. Must be the alcohol. 

"Don't worry about it my precious cinnamon roll," Garcia shouts, walking over to Spencer and pouring him another drink. He simply shrugs, turning to face Hotch who was floating on a blow up dinosaur. Once in the shallow end, Derek gives you a knowing glance as the two of you swim up to the ledge in front of the loungers. "Y/N, what the hell was that?"

"What do you mean?" you play dumb, dodging Penny's question. JJ leans over too, staring to make sure Reid and Hotch were still distracted. 

"You were totally flirting with Spence," the blonde notes, adjusting her sunglasses. 

"I was not," you deny, the alcohol coursing through your veins making it difficult to keep a straight face. Derek shakes his head with a laugh, smiling when you grab onto his arm and float. "I'm just a touchy drunk, see?" 

"Sure," he laughs, not believing it for a second. "I think you keep forgetting we're profilers, kid. It's been clear since day 1 that you have a thing for pretty boy" 

"Do you think he knows?" you ask suddenly, their eyes locking in on you. Shit. You correct yourself, stumbling over words. "I mean, does he think so too? Because I really didn't even notice it myself I think I just-"

"Save it," Emily chimes in, finally sitting up. You try not to laugh at her bright red face and chest as she enters the conversation, speaking in a hushed tone. "You just admitted it. But the answer is no, he has no idea you're even remotely interested" 

"For a genius, he's pretty stupid about that stuff," JJ laughs. "There's no way he knows you have a thing for him. No shot"

"I don't even know that I do though," you rationalize, suddenly thinking through your entire relationship with him. All of the lingering touches, late night text conversations, and rides home. Maybe you did have a thing for him without outwardly knowing it. Finally, you sigh and reach for your drink. "Shit, maybe I do" 

"Wow, you think?" Morgan chuckles. You move so that you're on his back, giggling as he spins you around. Reid's eyes wander to the two of you, eyes narrowing and his bottom lip drawing between his teeth for a moment before he stands up and heads into your cottage, calling that he'll be right back. Morgan raises a brow, dropping you into the water. "Looks like he might be on the same page, princess" 

"You know what this means then, right?" Garcia interjects. "You two need to flirt. A lot. Get him jealous enough to finally say something." 

"It's what has to be done," JJ nods. "Seriously. Men are simple. It'll work"

"Are we in high school, guys?" you ask with a scoff. "Come on, it's no big deal. We don't have to do anything. Because we're co-workers. And friends. And there's nothing else between us." 

"Yeah right," Emily murmurs. "I agree with them. At least try it out for a few days. See if you can get him to make a move" 

"I'm so game," Morgan raises his eyebrows playfully, earning a splash of water to the face. "As a guy, I'm telling you, this could work" 

"You're acting like we need some elaborate plan to woo him," you sigh, exasperated and embarrassed at all of the meddling that's happening. "We are friends. That's the end of it." 

"So at dinner I'll make sure to touch your arm a lot and give you pet names, sound good?" Morgan asks, completely ignoring your last statement. You sigh in defeat, dramatically floating on your back. 

"Fine." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373K 6K 42
Your first year at the BAU has been everything you expected, it was something you enjoyed and were passionate about. Everything in your life remains...
19.8K 735 25
re·clu·sive /rəˈklo͞osiv/ adjective avoiding the company of other people; solitary. When Vega is forced to work alongside her scholastic rival, she c...
34.3K 711 25
Y/n recently transferred to the BAU. She quickly became closer to a fellow agent than she ever thought possible. Will her past ruin her future, or wi...
3.7K 201 6
"He loved her so much that it almost took his breath away." | book 2 | seasons 4-5 | | tw: blood, murder, all the yucky stuff in the show [and smut...