The Ruined Rainbow

By SayeshaL

Cover credits: @missoctowriter Earlier known as, "The Sweetest Smiles Have The Darkest Secrets." ***** Two p... More

THE RUINED RAINBOW
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
Author's Note
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97

CHAPTER 71

259 11 0
By SayeshaL

Ayesha

Amidst the eerie silence of the saddened night, my phone began to ring. Mechanically my moist eyes travel to the illuminated screen, huddled in my palm, only to dampen a bit more. I had ignored the constant message buzzes, and so my mobile was filled with a lot of notifications. Sparing a scanning glance around; I disconnected the call. And with that, I take a minute to compose myself and then stride back to Kumar's house.

*****

I couldn't help but feel guilty when I said Sahil that I had gone for a 'necessary' long walk, for 'fresh air'.

Though Sahil was very suspicious and quite mad at my sudden absence, he settled with a 'mild' lecture before walking to interact with the other actors.

I spent the rest of the party, keeping to myself, but having a fake smile plastered throughout. Millions of thoughts were churning in my head, all in a vertiginous speed.

Sahil sensed my uncomfortableness and politely informed Kumar that he was feeling sick and he needed to go home. And with no further ado, he grabbed my hand and walked out of the door firmly.

"Are you okay?" Sahil asked gently, once the grey doors of the elevator closed.

Hastily rearranging a convincing smile, I said, "Of course, I am! Why are you asking?"

"You look very... worried." Sahil insisted, looking at me suspiciously.

"No, its nothing of that sort. " I reassured, giving an uneasy laugh.

*****

I didn't want to go back home, any sooner. So, ironically, I suggested Sahil that we go to the Queen's Necklace, Marine Drive.

"Are you really okay?" Sahil inquired, glancing at me suspiciously. "That's a first coming from your mouth. "

"Well... Mark this week as a lot of firsts, Sahil. " I said thoughtfully, peering out of the window, "It's going to be memorable." I adjoined softly.

Sahil grinned at the road.

*****

The Queen's Necklace is a long boulevard, an inverted 'C'-shaped six lanes and one of the best locations of Mumbai. And now, the sight was merely ecclesiastical. The glimmering street lights resembled a glittering necklace, giving us a picturesque view of the Arabian Sea.

Sahil and I settled on one of the benches, listening to the musical overlapping of the sea waves.

The continual night sea breezes kept ruffling Sahil's luxuriant hairs. The street lights illuminated his face with a goldish-yellow tinge, in the inky darkness, and to add to the credit, a regal smile crafted out of his lips when he smiled at the sea.

"You know... " Sahil began, looking at me, "I was nine years old. And for the first time; I was selected for a singing contest in school. I was standing in front of the stage and was very nervous. So nervous, that a word wouldn't come out of my mouth, let alone a song." He laughed. "All other children began to laugh. I was so nervous. And then, I saw my dad sitting on the frontest row. He had his hands folded and was looking at me, patiently waiting for me to start. He wasn't angry, nor was he disappointed. And that gave me a little hope... And I began to sing!" He laughed, realising the innocence he had at that age.

"When I completed my song, everyone clapped. But there was only one person who clapped till the Anchor forcefully dragged me out of the stage." Giving a loud chuckle, he said, "My dad." his eyes shined. "And that was the first time I won. " he smiled brightly.

I smiled at his glowing face.

"What about your mother?" I asked, holding my hand up, to show him the sparkling jewellery, that rested on my wrist.

"My mother..." He began wistfully, "She is the kindest soul of this universe. She was always the one who supported me when I had small fights with my father. " he chuckled, "And whenever dad brought my favourite sweets, she wouldn't touch a single piece of her share. Instead, she would preserve them in a small steel box, and then the next day, when I came back from school, she would give me them. And I was such a horrible child, that I always used to munch up the sweet, without knowing or caring that it was her share. " he smacked a hand on his forehead.

"My mother..." He sighed, "If there was one thing she loved more than my father and me, it was jewellery!" He snickered.

"What?"

"Yeah..." He chuckled, " You see, we were a very middle-class family. And dad was the sole breadwinner of our family. Though my mum always was firm in not wanting to buy any jewellery, she secretly loved them. She has a separate notebook, for the different designs of jewellery, which she had discreetly drawn when she had some spare time. She always told us buying jewellery was a waste of money, and we weren't particularly rich..." He trailed away, looking distantly at the dark sea.

"Was this one of her designs too?" I asked him, bringing my wrist to close to his face.

"Oh, yes." He said instantly, his eyes softening. "This was an extraordinary one... As far as I know, she loved this the most. You see... " he held my wrist with his warm fingers, and spoke, "These pearls have especially been woven this way. "

Looking at the glimmering bracelet for the first time, I observed it's delicate design. Four small pearls surrounded each of the big pearls to it's left and right alternatively, together making it a twisted and a beautiful pattern. Small hooks of silver joined each of the big beads.

Sahil traced his hand against the first few beads of the bracelet and adjoined quietly, "I brought it especially for her, you know? I spent my first paycheck on these two gifts. I just wish to give it to her. And him. They both deserve this And more than this...for the amount of trouble I have given them."

After a nostalgic silence, Sahil continued. "And my dad was very punctual." He reminisced happily, "And that's why I brought this watch." He added, pointing at the gold-rimmed watch, "He would never tolerate any mistake on punctuality. He was like you when it came to time-related aspects! A male time freak!" he pulled a faintly coloured cheek of mine.

"And then, there was this incident, when I had to write an essay, on the topic, 'I want to become.' Everyone wrote I want to become a doctor, an engineer, a teacher, and so many things. And I wrote, " he paused for a brief second, and recited childishly,

"I want to become like my dad. He is the strongest man. He is brave. He is strong. He is powerful. He is not scared of anyone. He is knowledgeable. I love my dad! He is my superhero! My dad is the best man in this world. I want to become like my dad. " he completed, and I watched his childlike features amusedly.

"That was my essay, and I, of course, came last in that competition, considering I hadn't covered even 10% of the word limit...I tore the paper into bits and threw it away as soon as I reached home. " he recollected fondly. "How stupid I was..."

"Your dad was one gem of a person, Sahil," I said softly, bringing out my hand to stroke his stubble mildly.

"That he was, " Sahil readily agreed. "He just didn't understand me in the end... That's the regret." He said distantly.

"No, Sahil," I replied quietly, "You didn't understand him. "

Sahil gaped at me, stunned. "Why do you think so?" He demanded, his voice barely a whisper.

"See... His main objective was to see you happy, Sahil," I said gently, fixing my eyes to the sea, and bringing my hands to fold on my lap, one atop the other.
"That was his only dream. And like you, yourself confessed, the cinema industry isn't one of the brightest industry... And he might have thought it was foolish, to start all from a scratch when you already had a superb job in your hand. He was worried about you. About what would happen if the industry rejects you. He was concerned about your life... And of course, he was hurt, that you didn't consult him even once, before taking an important step...I am sure cinema is one of your wisest decisions, Sahil, but then, he was completely justified in being reluctant to make you step into this glamorous world of cinema! Sure, his actions were wrong... But his intentions were always correct, Sahil." I looked at Sahil's dumbfounded face and adjoined simply, "Always has and always will."

Sahil's eyes remarkably softened at my words. And light flashed within the depth of his eyes. After a fleeting second, he turned his focus back to the glimmering view and smiled wistfully at sea.

I put a loose strand of my hair behind my ear and resumed my view to continuing my watch of the beautifully lit sea.

All of a sudden, Sahil grasped my hand with no forewarning.

For a magical minute, all the lights of Mumbai altogether seemed to reflect in Sahil's chiselled face, amidst the inky night. And then Sahil brought up my closed fist, to his lips and kissed my knuckles gently and warmly enclosed my hand within his hands, and placed all of the three of them, over his chest. I rested a cheek on his muscular shoulder, and together, we got engulfed in the serenity of the composed night.

*****

The drive from Marine Drive to Juhu was quite quick, comparing to the scattered traffic.

Lost in thoughts, I didn't realise Sahil, bringing the vehicle to an unexpected halt. I looked at him inquiringly, and he smiled blithely.

"What happened?"

"How will we start our memorable 'firsts' week without beginning it from this place? Where everything first began?" He raised his eyebrows.

I doubtingly stared at him before scanning the dark surroundings around me. I was almost about to complain that I wasn't able to see anything but stopped when a fresh breeze of unmistakable saltiness hit my nostrils.

A grin automatically unfolding from my face, I pulled Sahil's cheek and mused, "Nice one, Malhotra. "

"All for you, Mehra." He winked.

I smacked his chest playfully and leaned to kiss him on his cheek, resting my hand on his right shoulder for support. And a soft smile crafted out of his lips.

Hastily stepping out of the car, I beamed brightly, at the glistening beach, which cradled the most beautiful memories of my life; The Juhu Beach.

*****

After feasting on spicy Bhel and vast tranquillity, Sahil and I left the Juhu Beach at around half past twelve, happily contented.

It hardly took five minutes from the beach to Sahil's apartment. After parking the car, Sahil and I proceeded to take the lift to the eleventh floor.

Sahil unlocked the door and pushed it open. Putting on the lights, he placed the car and house keys on the counter and allowed me to step in.

I strolled inside and placed my purse and mobile on the dining table, and then proceeded to the guest room. I was putting my hairs into a big bun and stopped when I saw the glimmering jewellery on my wrist.

Releasing my hands, from my hairs, which were now knotted into a half-bun, I looked fixedly at the pearl bracelet.

Destiny was different for everyone...
It was funny how the situations of a woman whom I had never met and I resembled so brutally. Just a small thread of difference. She had parted her son unknowingly, and I was to part her son knowingly.

Bringing my fingers to pull out the bracelet from my other wrist, I kept the jewellery on my palm and smiled at it, as my mind replayed Sahil's childhood stories which he had shared with me today.

"I promise to reunite you and your son. " I swore firmly, "I promise to reunite your family and restore all the lost laughter and the abandoned hopes. I promise on Appa."

******

"In a nutshell, what I am saying is that the L&MC requires a superb team for this nap deal to be a success. " Kush concluded after an elaborate presentation for the past one hour.

"The team is, of course, going to be superb, Kush," Akanksha said gaily, "But what about the competition from the other companies from the south market? Surely, we aren't going to be offered a silver platter?"

"The competition will be there, Ms Sinha. Our product must be better than all of theirs to stay, which I am sure is. Is that right, Mr Mohan?" Mr Shenoy asked, and Mohan, a man in his late fifties, nodded in approval.

"But the prices are too high. Won't it be easier for the M&A products to score? I have heard they are selling at a low price." A young man from the marketing department asked.

"But we have better quality!" Kush protested.

"But rates are a crucial factor." The man pressed, "I mean, we are almost charging 39% more than the M&A. Won't that tilt the buyers to their side?"

"Hmmm," Mr Shenoy pondered, "You are right, Shekar... Perhaps, we should decrease the additional taxes? What say, Ansh?"

Ansh glanced through some documents and theorised for a minute and said, "But sir, decreasing the taxes... That's not a wise option. For, it'll almost cut the profit we are making, and our margin with actual price will be the same. "

"But then?" Mr Shenoy questioned, "How else can we reduce the cost? We need our products to be consumer-friendly in all aspects! Also, we can't ignore the M&A or the markets."

"Give me a few minutes," Ansh called for, and began to jot down some calculations, and consulting some documents, skillfully at the same moment.

Akanksha gave a dreamy sigh, and pressed one of her palms to her cheeks, plastering a vague, longing smile, and rested her elbow on the sleek table, her eyes fixed to Ansh.

Ansh looked up from the papers suddenly and met Akanksha's eye. He gave her a teasing wink before returning to his work. It all happened so quickly, but it was enough for Akanksha's dreamy smile to extend kilometres long.

"Behold, Ayesha. " Amala said in a bored tone, from my left side, "The office romance of the century."

I snickered, shaking my head lightly.

"You know, right? Hell will break loose if Mr Shenoy sees this?" Amala asked Akanksha.

"He can go to hell, for all I can care. " Akanksha replied plainly,

"I don't know what you see in my brother," Amala whispered disapprovingly, leaning sideways. She was sitting to my left and Akanksha to my right. "All I see is an annoying jerk with little brains, who refuses to acknowledge he has an awesome sister."

Akanksha snorted.

"Oh, come on! I am awesome. Everyone knows that!" Amala protested.

"Sure thing," Akanksha quipped, "Says the girl who was sis-zoned yesterday."

"What do you mean?" Amala began confusedly, but then stopped flabbergasted. "Don't tell me Ansh told you!" She whisper-yelled.

And when Akanksha gave an inexplicable smirk, Amala glared at Ansh furiously, who sat opposite to the three of us, immersed in calculations, and muttered "That moron!"

"You won't believe what happened, Ayesha," Akanksha whispered to me, giving Amala a nasty smirk. "She wanted to see her 'cute' crush, who sits in the table number 3, in the King's resort, every evening, at 6:48 pm, yesterday. And so, Madam dressed up brilliantly and prepared to go and impress him. But then Aunty had to come home from her evening walk early, yesterday. So, my dear friend here lied that she was going out for a movie. And Aunty forced her to take Ansh along with her."

"Lol!" I chuckled, "Then?"

"Then Ansh being generously kind, agreed to go 'see' her crush-"

"Kind?" Amala asked incredulously, "I had to promise him that I would cover up for all his sneak outs for an entire month!"

"So, they both went to the King's resort at half-past six, " Akanksha continued, unbothered, " And waited for his highness to come over. "

"Did he come?" I asked impatiently, "Did he notice you?"

"Patience Ayesha! " Akanksha said enthusiastically, "That guy noticed Ansh and not her. " Amala buried her face in her hands, "Turns out, Ansh, and he were school mates."

"That's... Unexpected?"

"Very unexpected," Amala corrected me.

"But how come you didn't know him, at all? I mean, he is your brother's friend-"

"My brother went to the boy's school, Ayesha. " Amala said gloomily, "And I went to the girl's convent. "

"Oh."

"And then Ansh decided to be a helpful brother and invited him to dine with them. When he introduced Amala to him, "Akanksha took a deep breath and mimicked in a masculine voice, "'Ah! Nice to meet you, Amala.' and even gave her a side hug."

"That's not bad," I said optimistically, and Amala shook her head in disappointment, while Akanksha snickered.

"Even I thought so!" Amala said dejectedly, "And the entire dinner, I kept giving him side glances and hints, hoping that he would at least ask me something. But he did nothing of that sort."

"Oh... Maybe he was shy?" I asked positively, and Akanksha burst out laughing. She hastily covered her mouth when a few colleagues looked at us, irately, but continued laughing, nevertheless. "Listen to the entire story, Ayesha. "

A

mala continued from where Akanksha left off, "And then he cracked a lot of jokes, making us laugh, and he increased my expectations. The two of them spoke nostalgically about the school and many of their friends. And I was patiently waiting. And while leaving, he said to me, 'Ansh always talked about you, Amala. And I can see why!' When he said this, I was almost sure that he would ask me out, and then he gives Ansh a bro hug, and says, 'What a wonderful reunion, Ansh! I got my friend back, and I even got a sister today! We definitely should hang out more often!'" She completed her tale bitterly.

"What an idiot!" She abutted, faking pain in her voice, and Akanksha and I, who had our laughs compressed till this moment, broke out laughing.

"You know, this is the first time I hear of a sis-zoning!" Akanksha voiced between her giggles, "And you were all set to impress him!"

"With makeup and heels!" Amala added hotly, and we doubled up on our laughs.

"Better luck next time, Amala," I said, patting her shoulder and she nodded gloomily.

Mr Shenoy coughed pointedly, glaring at us, and we instantly pretended to be having an 'official' conversation. That lessened the glare on us.

Mr Shenoy drummed his fingers impatiently on the sleek conference table. Ansh looked up from his computations and said dejectedly, "Sir, I have tried everything. In all ways, we would be getting minimal or no profit."

"Hmm..." Mr Shenoy trailed, unimpressed. He pressed his lips together and surveyed the presentation on the screen.

After a minute, he said, "Okay folks. We will meet here in two hours, and by that time, I want each of you to come up with a solution. And now... Disperse. "

*****

We met again in an hour in the same room. I, of course, had no ideas. Nor did Akanksha. And not even Amala. But thankfully, Ansh had worked out a brilliant strategy. His plan had successfully balanced the pressure of reducing the prices of raw materials and maintaining the company's profits.

After a brief presentation of his plan, and an elaborate questioning session by Mr Shenoy, it was decided that L&MC Mumbai would adopt this new strategy for the upcoming sales.

"Now... All that's left is, as Kush said, the formation of a superb team!" Mr Shenoy said, looking at all of us, "I need a team of seven or eight, headed by Ansh, of course," Ansh beamed, and Akanksha discreetly blew him a flying kiss.

"So, Ansh. Who would you want to join? I give you the liberty to choose."

Ansh stood up and said, "Sir, I think, it'll be best if we have two from the marketing, two from sales, two from IT and two from the accounts. Is that okay?"

"Yeah." Mr Shenoy said satisfactorily, "Who would want to volunteer?"

Instantly, an excited murmuring engulfed the atmosphere, as everyone began to ponder on the opportunity given with their companions. I was determinedly doodling on the last page of my notebook, in the hope of avoiding all sorts of conversation. I couldn't volunteer even if I wanted...

"Shall we go from IT?" Akanksha whispered to me, "I think we may easily get that. This project will give us a bunch of learning experiences."

"I don't think so, Akanksha," I said immediately alarmed. "I don't think I can do this."

"Why?"

"Well..."

"Why are you always so lazy?" Akanksha demanded, and I wanted to retort back. But what would I say? I hadn't told Akanksha yet, about my decision.

"I'm not lazy, Akanksha, I don't think I'll be able to do this. " I said quietly.

"I am not accepting any excuses this time." Akanksha said firmly, " We are volunteering. That's final. "

"But-" I began hastily. And before I could analyse what I would say, Akanksha spoke in a loud, commanding voice, "Sir, from the IT, Ayesha and I would like to volunteer. "

Ansh beamed at the pair of us and hastened, to back Akanksha, "Yes sir. I think they are the best choice for IT. " He earned himself a delighted smile from Akanksha.

Mr Shenoy contemplated Akanksha strangely and said, "But Ms Sinha, this project is going to start from the next month. "

"I am aware of that, Sir," Akanksha said, surprised. "I hadn't zoned out for the entire meeting. " She insisted jokingly.

"But Ayesha won't be here until next month."

"She won't be here?" Akanksha questioned incredulously, "Of course she will be here. What wouldn't she be here?"

"You haven't told her yet, Ms Mehra?" Mr Shenoy asked bemused. "I was under the assumption that you both are office besties."

"We are. " Akanksha confirmed. She suspiciously looked from me to Mr Shenoy. "But... Told me what? What haven't you told me, Ayesha?"

I looked down partly to gauge my answer and mainly to avoid Akanksha's sceptical stare at me. Before I could think of a solution, to escape the unforeseen situation, Mr Shenoy spoke, "Ms Mehra is resigning, Ms Sinha. She is leaving L&MC. "

*****

The day passed quite quickly. And Akanksha wouldn't speak to me at all. I didn't dare to look at her hurt, disbelieving face the rest of the meeting. I was encountering continuous stabs of unbearable guilt, from the minute Akanksha walked away from the hall after the meeting had officially concluded. I wish I had told her about my decision before the meeting; maybe she wouldn't have been as hurt as she was now.

She had avoided me, in all forms, and had disappeared into thin air, and wouldn't pick up my calls. Amala and Ansh had no idea about her location either, though I strongly suspected that Ansh knew, and Akanksha had warned him to stay mum.

Amala and Ansh, along with a few others, stayed back in the conference room for a decent conversation and inquired about my sudden exit. All anticipated and foreseen questions came, and I answered as politely as I could, sprouting answers that I had memorised  yesterday. Thankfully, they weren't bothered by my reserved behaviour. But they weren't that close to me as Akanksha was...

As the hour hand inched to half-past seven, all my works were complete. But I didn't wish to go home yet. I walked to the large window of the room and pushed the closed window doors open.

Instantly, I heard the bustling of the busy Mumbai street below. The road was dotted by numerous vehicles and a scurry crowd. I contemplated the bustle with dark courage.

Looking at the busyness below had always made me wonder how vibrant and lively Mumbai was. It had made me think about how spirited, and active Mumbaikars were. There was no room for idleness in Mumbai, for, if you wanted to belong to Mumbai, you had to learn to cope up with the busyness and the bustle.

I distantly watched one of the hawkers, animatedly shout, attracting customers. I saw a young boy walking with his mother, holding her hand. I saw a man, perhaps a bit older than me, having a laptop bag cross the road.

Maybe, sometimes all you had to do was to take a deep breath and pause your life to analyse all thoughts, that were overcrowding your brain. Looking at the busyness had always helped me do that.

I was feeling worried and guilty about Akanksha and didn't want to leave without clarifying things with her. But what reasons could I say her? I could not tell her the truth... I couldn't tell anyone the truth... And after me leaving, Sahil will definitely question Akanksha and Kavi Di about my abrupt departure. And I had to say both Kavi Di and Akanksha, different reasons, to make my plan entirely fool-proof.

After extended minutes, I sighed and closed the window and walked back to my desk. Gathering all my belongings, I proceeded to exit the L&MC office.

*****

I was considering booking a cab to Juhu, as I walked on the pavement. And that's when someone nudged me from the back, and I whirled around, alarmed, and sighed in relief when I found Sahil.

"What are you doing here?" I asked wearily.

"I came back early, " he replied casually, "So, I thought, we could go and have some nice hot vada-pav?"

Sahil looked at me questioningly, silently asking me for suggestions. And then, we both grinned at each other at the same time, as we voiced our choice simultaneously in unison.

"Kirti College?"

*****
Goregaon to Prabhadevi took 45 minutes. Sahil had rented a decent Yamaha, and the ride was absolutely peaceful. As we continually had loads of traffic, Sahil had ridden, much within the speed limit and I couldn't be less thankful.

One of the best Vada-Pav stalls in Mumbai is the Kirti College Vada Pav. The visible amount of crowd will tell you so. For, you wouldn't get such a masterpiece anywhere. It is the most popular and promising stall of Mumbai.

After having finger-licking vada pav to our full, Sahil suggested we go to the Gateway of India.

"No!" I exclaimed. We almost had to travel 12km to reach the Gateway of India and considering the Mumbai traffic; it would take a lot of time.

"This week has to be memorable right?" He asked plainly and didn't care to elaborate more.

******

The arch-monument was grandly clean and neat. The stunning architecture was worth appreciating. The beauty of this notable monument is that It is located on the waterfront at an angle, opposite the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower Hotel and overlooks the Arabian sea.

Parking the bike, Sahil and I walked to one of the road stalls accumulated in the corner, and Sahil purchased two cone ice-creams. We walked, unwrapping the coverings of the dessert.

"Um... Sahil?"

"Hmm?"

"Is it okay... If I go back to Andheri tomorrow?"

"Why?" He frowned.

"Um... Kavi Di thinks I have been ignoring her for long." I lied incredibly, "Plus... I have to have a crucial conversation with her. " I said truthfully, inciting a smile.

"All right."

An old memory of coming here with Sahil around two and a half years ago hit me. This was precisely when Sahil had spoken to me about his parents for the first time on his own accord and had driven me here, and we had had ice creams at that time too.

And technically, at the beginning of today, Sahil had spoken to me about his parents on his own accord and had now driven me here to have ice cream.

What a contemporaneousness coincidence!

*****

Driving to Juhu, it was almost half-past ten when we reached back. But being an accustomed Mumbaikar, I knew I wouldn't feel sleepy.

Sahil tossed me the key, of the house, which I caught successfully, giving him a reproachful glare. I unlocked the door and stepped inside the house, opening the door wide enough to allow Sahil in. As soon as he entered, I twirled around, to switch on the lights. And before I could analyse the next move, Sahil closed the door swiftly, cutting all sources of illuminance and engulfing us in the darkness.

Sahil caught hold of my forearm and yanked me forward. A cry of shock escaped my lips as his palm went to hold my waist and gripped it tightly.

I was feeling utterly helpless in this position, where I was wholly clasped to Sahil's torso and was securely imprisoned by his arms that were looped around me. I couldn't see his face, nor his expression, for the lights from outside was blocked. The curtains were drawn, And also, Sahil stood right below the switchboard, and I couldn't switch on the lights without passing him.

I was a hundred per cent sure that he was looking at me. And even in this darkness, I could feel the intensity of his gaze. I could sense myself getting warm under his striking gaze. A hand casually weaved through my curls as another hand held my waist, fingers digging into them.

All of a sudden, I felt his short stubble prick my cheeks, but that sensation lasted only for a brief second. Or, that was registered in my brain only for a brief second, for my mind was keen on registering the sudden warmness that grazed against my lips.

Soft at first, the caress turned brutally savage.

Vaguely being aware of the cactus that continued to prick, my senses were directed on diffusing an emotion of utter shock mingled with indescribable enthusiasm within me.

I had no idea as though why Sahil was rough at this moment. But what I did know was that there was a wild excitement rippling through my blood, as I coiled my arms around him.

I was fuzzily aware of being whirled around, and my back pressed against the wooden door. Sahil's fingers were continually clasped on my waist, and the brute kiss continued.

I felt Sahil lift his head. However, I didn't dare to look at him. The darkness wouldn't have made it possible for him to look at me, but still, I felt as though if I looked at him now, he would peep into my soul.

And once again, my sore lips were caught in a blazing kiss, that seemed determined to send my soul into an insane, enjoyable torment. I held one of his upper arms, helplessly, as I gave into the brutish kiss. A million thoughts ran in my head, making my head spin. My knees were going weak, unable to survive this nameless excitement running through my veins.

Sahil finally lifted his head kindly.  After an endurance of agonising joy. I felt my lips throbbing, as I frantically registered fingers tracing my cheek, softly persuading me to look up at him.

And with unnamable obedience, I did so.

At that magical moment, the winds blew with such force and fierce determination, that all the drawn curtains in the hall, flew along with them. They curtains separated, unable to hold the pressure; the winds were putting on them. And when they did so, brilliant streaks of moonlight entered the room from all sides.

That enchanting moment, I caught a glimpse of Sahil's face. The clear-cut facial features were outlined brilliantly. An intense expression graced Sahil's face with majestic energy. His eyes gleamed with such brightness, that could put a full moon night to shame.

As if in slow-motion, the curtains began to retreat to their original position, slowly, and I felt my eyes closing in an equally slow manner. Sahil's lips reclaimed mine, but this time, in a beautiful tenderness.

Melting in the sweet moment, I willed my mind to evaporate every other thought and focused on only to record this beautiful memory to my soul.

The secureness between his muscular arms, the throbbing of my lips, the gentleness of his lips, the beatings of his heart and mine which synchronised into an elegant euphony, and the soreness that was being vanquished by fierce compassion, the dampness forming against my closed lids, the emotion of love booming in my veins, and a lone tear cascading down my cheek.

*****

"Your resignation request has been sent to the head office, Ms Mehra. " Mr Shenoy said disappointedly, "It'll be approved in three days. "

"Thank you, Mr Shenoy," I said, standing up, and extending a hand to him, as formal regard.

He accepted it and asked dimly, "But, why would you even want to resign?"

"Mr Shenoy, as I stated before, it's on personal grounds, and it's my own decision." I said politely for the umpteenth time and added, "No one has enforced me to take it."

"But why?"

"Er-no offence, Mr Shenoy. But unfortunately, I cannot reveal the reason."

Mr Shenoy looked at me for a moment before nodding dispassionately. I thanked him one more time and turned around to exit the room.

"Meeting in 15," Mr Shenoy spoke from behind me, and I spun around to look at him, surprised.

He was scanning through some papers as he spoke, "Until you officially receive your email, you are still a part of L&MC, so I will tolerate no excuses for you to be absent for the upcoming meetings for till Monday. Conference room in 15 minutes, Ms Mehra " he clarified kindly, affording me a glance.

I grinned amusedly.

*****

Akanksha wasn't present today. Amala said she had suddenly planned for a tour to Bangalore and would return only after the weekend. That made my heart further drown into guilt.

After a tiring day of work, I left L&MC quite early. I caught a rickshaw to Andheri and reached the Mehra Residence. I had previously informed Kavi Di about my arrival so; there won't be any question of her being late.

She served the dinner and shared some amusing tales of her recent dates with Rahul Arora. She also spoke about one of the global client's of Mehra Infrastructures and informed me that he was going to fly to New York, day after tomorrow.

I decided not to delay the discussion any further. Bracing myself for an unpleasant conversation, I casually began.
"Di, I am selected for a project by L&MC."

"Really? That's wonderful!" She said, impressed. Pouring a glass of water, she gulped it down.

"Well..." I trailed, scooping some pulav into the spoon, and bringing it to my lips. "The project is not in Mumbai," I said, before emptying the contents of the spoon.

As expected, I heard a ringing sound, as Di slammed her glass on the table.

"What do you mean it's not in Mumbai?" She asked sharply.

"It's a rural-oriented project. " I said, sprouting a mechanical response, without looking at her, "So, I might have to travel across India, and explore unknown villages..."

"What sort of a project is this exactly?" Di asked suspiciously.

"I told you. It's a project that aims for the betterment of the rural areas. " I recited the formulated response. "To uncover the rural regions of India and bringing them to the spotlight. This way, L&MC would want to donate and provide assistance to the most backward areas of the country. "

"But you are in IT!" Di said incredulously.

"I volunteered for this. "

"When?"

"Wednesday."

A brief silence is maintained, and Di asked abruptly, "Sahil knows?"

Startled by this unforeseen question, my eyes flutter to the plates in the dining table, unable to develop an instant response. "Not yet," I muttered. "I am going to tell him soon."

I lifted my head and met her eye. With a lot of will power, I maintained her eye-lock unwaveringly. At last, she gave a stiff nod.

Quickly wanting to get out of here, I placed her plate atop mine and walked swiftly out of the dining room. 

*****

I was laying down on my bed, staring at the dark ceiling. I had deliberately drawn the curtains to prevent any light from entering the room. Funny, as to why and how I did that.

I was continually glancing my mobile to see if I received any messages from Akanksha, but no, I didn't receive a single one. Di was working on an important presentation and hadn't joined me for sleep yet.

Intruding the silence, my phone began to ring, all of a sudden, and I glanced at it eagerly, grimacing at the brightness that pierced my eyes. To my surprise, it was Sahil.

"Hello?"

"Be ready in five."

"What?" I asked, sitting upright on my bed. I took the mobile away from my ear and glanced at it once to note the time, and it was half-past twelve.

"You heard me."

"Why, Sahil?" I sighed warily. "What do you want?"

"Do you think I'll tell you?" he retorted irately, before disconnecting the call. Rolling my eyes at his annoyance, I hadn't got down the bed yet, Sahil called again.

"What?"

"Inform your cousin without fail." He stated before cutting the call once again.

Grinning at the blank screen, I Pushed aside the duvet and swung my feet down. Scanning my appearance in the mirror, I paused for a minute, when I glimpsed a large trolley, which had been packed with my clothes and other essentials not so long ago, standing at a remote corner of the room, on the small space beside the wardrobe.

Ignoring the hollowness in my chest, I gingerly descended the stairs.

The lights were still on, and maybe Di was still working. But to my surprise, Di had dozed off on the sofa. Her mouth was open, and she was snoring lightly.

Deciding not to wake her up, I scribbled a note and placed it atop her laptop, so that she would glance at it as soon as she woke up.

Locking the main door noiselessly, and re-checking once, I proceeded to the gate, where Sahil was already present. He was leaning, on his KTM Duke. He had a backpack swung on his shoulder, and was dressed in a casual T-shirt and everyday jeans.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered, as Sahil took my mobile from my hand and put it inside his backpack.

"Our first night long drive." He said solemnly, mounting the bike.

"Night long drive?" I asked, stunned, "Where?"

"Amba Ghat." He replied, gesturing me to sit behind.

"That's like so long!" I exclaimed.

I had never been to the Amba Ghat, but I had enough knowledge about it. It was a mountain pass on the Ratnagiri-Kolhapur road, and it took a minimum of eight hours to reach there from Mumbai.

"It's called long drive for a reason, " Sahil said innocently.

"But... Di is leaving Mumbai on Sunday evening and-"

"We will be here by Sunday afternoon," Sahil replied patiently to my unspoken question, kick-starting the bike. It gave a loud roar, disrupting the peaceful silence.

A lot of questions skimmed through my head, but they couldn't be voiced out. Glancing back once at my mansion, I scrambled to the other side and held his shoulder for support. Swinging a leg around the vehicle, I sat down on the roaring motorcycle. I looped my arms around Sahil's waist and rested my cheek on his back. I saw Sahil grin appreciatively, through the rearview mirror and then, he began to drive, proceeding to the NH 66.

*****

We spent two beautiful days in the Amba Ghat. It was a rejuvenating treat, full of serenity and peace, and was quite beautiful.

As Sahil assured, we returned at around half-past two on Sunday afternoon. As soon as we had reached Amba Ghat, at half-past eight in the morning, I had called Di and informed her about our immediate plan. And we had left Amba Ghat at seven in the morning, to Mumbai on Sunday.

Sunday passed swiftly, and the entire evening was spent in sending off Di and binge-watching a mystery series in Sahil's apartment.

*****

Monday passed speedily, and my second-most dreadful day; Tuesday arrived.

I was typewriting my last report, speedily. This was my final report for L&MC, for I would be receiving my approval for my resignation today.

I sensed something stumbling on my desk, and I distractedly glimpse and notice a white envelope. Casually, I glance up to see as to who had dropped the letter and find myself looking at a very expressionless Akanksha.

"Akanksha-" I began hopelessly, only to find her already strolling away from me. Desperately, I run behind her, calling out her name. She acted as if she didn't hear my name and continued walking. She climbed upstairs quickly, and I followed her. I knew where she was heading.

And as expected, she stopped, once she reached the highest step.

"Akanksha-" I began desperately, "I know you are mad at me, for not telling you this drastic step of mine. But please listen to me. I wasn't expecting to leave soon too-"

"You knew you were going to leave one day, for sure, right?" She asked indifferently, turning to look at me, and making me stop my apology short.

"Yes," I whispered.

"When?"

"Long ago," I replied, honestly, looking at the beige walls around.

"But why, Ayesha?" She asked in a hurt voice. "Why are you leaving L&MC?"

"I am afraid I can't tell you that, Akanksha," I said quietly, after a long minute.

She maintained a dangerous silence, and I didn't dare to look at her. And the point that my heart got repeatedly stabbed by guilty pangs didn't help at all.

"I don't have a reason, as to why I shouldn't tell you, Akanksha, but it's for the best," I admitted softly, staring determinedly at the concrete floor.

After a severe stillness, "I am leaving Mumbai." I blurted.

"Leaving Mumbai, as in?" She asked sharply.

When I didn't reply, she pressed, "What do you mean, leaving Mumbai? You aren't going elsewhere for any reason, are you?"

"Akanksha... I..." I began helplessly.

"Tell me!" She pressed. "Tell me you aren't serious about this!"

"Akanksha... I don't think I will come back to Mumbai." I said quietly, "I am not returning Akanksha. "

Akanksha gaped at me grimly, disbelief and hurt written all over her face.

She abruptly sat down on the steps and stared at her interlocked fingers determinedly. A glassy look replaced her features.

I took a seat, two stairs below.

A minute passed, and then, two and then five. But she didn't speak a word.

"Woah..." She said finally, her voice dangerously soft, "You are leaving Mumbai. You are leaving me. And you didn't even inform me once."

"I...I..." I started, unable to frame words.

"Say nothing, Ayesha," she said quietly, and I obliged. We both sat in terrible silence, wanting to tell each other a thousand things but unable to find words.

"Maybe you are leaving, it is for an essential cause," she stated wryly, after a prolonged silence of dreadful minutes.

"It is. "

"When?"

"Wednesday."

After a long minute, Akanksha laughed unsteadily, "You won't forget me, right?"

"Are you mad?" I asked incredulously, "How can I forget the only person who helped me stay alive here?"

"Our tea breaks-"

"Our curses on Mr Shenoy-"

"Our outings-"

"Our coverups-"

"Teasing Amala-"

"And me!" I interjected.

Akanksha gave a shaky laugh and nodded. She whispered, "Don't ever forget those!"

"Not even in my wildest dreams. " I assured her.

Akanksha stood up. Extending a hand to me, I accepted it, and she pulled me to my feet. And then, she gave me a bear hug. I hugged her back, feeling my heart get increasingly heavy.

Quickly removing her hands from around me, she didn't meet my eyes, but then descended the stairs hurriedly, wiping tears from her cheeks.

*****

The remaining afternoon was spent in completing the other official procedures and formalities. I had to sign various papers. Akanksha had disappeared, and according to Ansh, she had gone home because she had a severe headache. Amala and Ansh politely wished me luck for the future, and so did Kush and Mr Shenoy. Thanking all of them for their wishes, and giving a short 'thank-you' speech.

I gathered all my belongings and took the stairs. After reaching the exit gate, I spun around and stared numbly at the tall building of L&MC, before closing the gates gently for one last time.

*****

The dreadful day arrived.

Wednesday morning passed in a blur, in dizzying speed. Kumar had called Sahil for at least thirty-nine times and had become super paranoid.

The trailer-launch was one of the most significant promotions. And the trailer launch of "The Apocalypse.", the most awaited film of the year, was to take place at half-past seven in the evening today in Malad.

Sahil had already asked Nisha to come over to his house, which she had agreed readily. She, along with three make up artists came over at half-past four, to get Sahil ready for the promotion.

It was agreed that Sahil would leave first at six, and go to Borivali, to Kumar's residence, where Rhea would also come over, and together the three of them would leave for Malad.

With a heavy heart, I had assured Sahil that I would be there at quarter past seven. I had to ignore the uncontrollable dampness in my eyes and had to plaster a cheery facade as my heart continued its rehearsed shattering. It took every uncia of my power to act normal. I worked typically and even created jokes, like my regular self as Sahil got ready. I had compelled a smile on my face, and remain aloof to any sorts of treacherous tears.

After all, I have endured the agony for so long, now. What're a few hours?

*****

After confirming a paranoid Kumar that Sahil was on his way, I walked hurriedly between the rooms, pausing to glance inside each room, to search for Sahil. I finally stopped when I spotted him at the balcony.

My eyes widened in awe.

Sahil was standing in the centre of the balcony. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt with a dark blue blazer and blue denim. His hands were in his pockets, and his eyes were fixed to the beautiful sight of diminutive Mumbai. His thick hairs were styled elegantly. He had a reasonable volume of hairs on top, which was further groomed with a regular cut, and the sides were trimmed neatly. The evening breezes were invariably ruffling his luxuriant hairs. His beard was also neatly trimmed.

Compared to the earlier innovative and creative costumes, by Nisha, this one was plain and simple. But still, there was this vibe of elegance and refinement emitting out of him. The simplicity of this outfit highlighted his chiselled and perfect facial features.

Feeling treacherous dampness all of a sudden in my eyes, I forced my legs to walk. And as soon as I did so, Sahil looked at me and smiled. Feeling brave and vulnerable at the same moment, I sauntered to him, nevertheless.

He looped an arm around my waist and stroked my hairs tenderly with the other, having a brilliant smile, on his dazzling features.

After a comfortable minute, I whispered, "You scared?"

"Yes," he confessed, bringing the pad of his thumb to run over my cheeks. "I don't think; this movie will be a hit. I am only getting negative vibes from the minute I woke up. "

I smiled wistfully at him and whispered, my voice sounding firm, "You know... Maybe I haven't said this earlier, but... The Apocalypse will be a superb movie. The audience loves it so much, and you'll be praised a lot, for you have given you soul to this film. That is what will happen, Sahil. That is what will happen. "

"How are you so sure?" Sahil asked demurely. "How do you know?"

"I just know," I said simply, holding his upper arms. "I just know, Sahil. Do you trust me?"

A strikingly handsome smile spread across his dashing features. "Till my last breath." He said softly.

As we stood in an untainted stillness, I ordered my eyes to memorise his face... His twinkling brown-black eyes, where the brownness swirled within the black, like an exact shade of roasted coffee bean, his pointed nose, his broad features, his pointed stubble, his jawline, his lips... Him.

*****

I patiently waited in the parking lot,  for Sahil to take reverse. He had sent off the driver today, and when I asked him the reason, he told me that, he wanted to drive so that it would ease his tension.

After taking my one last assurance that I'd be in Malad by 7:15, Sahil changed the gear of the car and began to zoom out of the parking lot. However, after a considerable distance, the vehicle stopped abruptly.

Sahil descended from the vehicle at high speed and ran towards me. In a bewildering momentum, he had covered the distance between us in a second.

Before I could think, I was engulfed in a tight bone-crushing hug, by Sahil, with such fierceness that almost made me topple on the floor.

His arms circled my torso fiercely as if never wanting to let go, and I was immobilised by this sudden unseen moment.

I couldn't move...I couldn't do anything...

I tried to embrace him back, but my limbs wouldn't co-operate.

After a long moment of combatting my own self, "Sahil..." I whispered, my voice quivering to such an extent that I hadn't thought was possible. Hearing my trembling voice, he tightened his grip, even more fiercely, and buried his head on the crook of my neck. Almost as if... Afraid of letting me go.

Unable to control my tears any longer, I let them fall, biting my lip, to seal all the perilous whimpers. When finally being freed from the immobility, I threw my hands around him and returned his embrace.

After what seemed like an eternity, he relaxed his hold on my body and drew back. I did the same, having my eyes lowered to the ground. He didn't erase the distance between us, but leaned forward and kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes shut at his warm touch.

Why wouldn't my fate make our parting easier? Why did it insist on making things complicatedly difficult? 

"Go!" I whispered urgently, in a shaky-commanding voice.

Instinctively, Sahil nodded and took a step back. He took two steps back and then three. And then, turned around abruptly and staggered to the car, in a sluggish pace.

The door was still open, as he had disembarked from the car rapidly. He placed a hand on the open door and rested the other hand on the body of the vehicle.

And at that moment, I was insanely sure that he would turn back one last time... He would meet my eyes one last time... He would give a brilliant smile one last time... I was so sure... Every single bone in my body chanted the certainty that he would turn...He would...

But he didn't.

He slammed the door shut, after sitting inside the car, and with no further ado, he skillfully manoeuvred the way out of the parking lot and never stopped.

*****

Walking determinedly, along with the high-level platform of the Mumbai Central Railway Station, I dragged the trolley behind me, managing to keep an unwavering gaze fixed at the front.

Reaching my compartment, I lifted the trolley and placed it inside the train to Aurangabad, before gripping the handles and stepping inside myself.

And as soon as I did, a spell of paralysis seemed to have been cast on me, for I remained motionless, unable to move any further.

Utilising all will power in my body, I dragged my feet to my seat, pulling the trolley behind me. Once I found my place, I numbly sat down.

A storm of icy anger flaring along with hot flames of helplessness together roared, both powerfully strong, Neither of them willing to get extinguished but fighting as if they both were meant to create a brutal imprint and an unerasable stain on my soul...And my soul got sliced into two halves.

I distantly heard the announcement, stating that the train was about to depart any minute now. And as if on cue, the majestic clock in the Mumbai Central Railway Station struck half-past seven, and I promptly felt a jerk, and the train began to move in a slow, lazy speed.

Every inch of my body seemed to beg me to jump out of the train, but strangely my limbs remained paralysed... And my heart continued to implore... And my brain continued to stir in a dizzying speed...And the two halves of my soul continued to drift apart within my heart, steadily never to meet again...

Only when the train had gained a swift speed, I wheeled to my left and stared excruciatingly at the moving platform.

And then tears filled my eyes in an agonising pace that I couldn't see the last bit of the platform disappear and the train venture out of the Mumbai Central Railway Station.

*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 373 24
"Har lamha yun kal ko talash raha hai yeh dil, Guzri yaadon ko fir se jeena chah raha hai yeh dil, Koi mujhse bhi puch le kyu khamosh hai meri aankhe...
1.6M 72.3K 67
ʙᴏᴏᴋ ʟᴀɴɢᴜᴀɢᴇ ɪꜱ ʜɪɴɢʟɪꜱʜ (ʜɪɴᴅɪ+ᴇɴɢʟɪꜱʜ) 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒋𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒔𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒃�...
24.2K 2.2K 35
"No... Abirrr..." screams Mishti... tears are flowing from her eyes, she is damn horrified after seeing the sight in front of her eyes... Abir sees h...