True Blue - A Second Chance...

By dlcroisette

Does true love deserve a second chance? The summer before university, Emily met and fell in love with Finn. I... More

Chapter 1 - Eight Years Ago
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43 - Eight Years Ago
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue
Q & A
About the Author
Dedication, Awards & Legal Stuff

Chapter 13

9.1K 406 148
By dlcroisette

"Lance, what are you doing here?"

Having finished a pick-up game of basketball, Finn, Campbell and their fellow soldier Max were hanging out in the common room when the blonde knocked on the open door.

"Trying to find you." Lance glanced at the other two men.

Finn introduced Campbell and Max. After a round-robin of handshakes, Campbell asked what they were all curious about. "How did you get on the base?"

Lance puffed out his chest a little. "Oh, because my firm works with you army fellows, a few of us have a special pass. It saves all the paperwork. The military loves its paperwork." The four men chuckled in agreement.

"Is Emily with you?" It spilled out of Finn's mouth. He scrambled to cover up his fumble but Lance was already talking as if it was a perfectly normal question.

"Yes and no. She's talking to the opposing counsel on a case...I mean hearing. I get them confused. I slipped out when she wasn't looking." Lance smirked like a little boy who was doing something naughty. "Emily is much better at these things than I. It's one of the reasons my father hired her. She knows military procedure inside and out."

Campbell and Max turned their heads in curiosity. Finn asked the obvious question. "Why?"

"Don't ask me. She's always been a bit obsessed with the army. Was way before I met her. Must love a man in uniform or something." Campbell shifted beside Finn as Lance continued. "But she gets a little too involved if you ask me. Remember last year there was that dust-up in Conbadar? Well, you'd think Emily had family there. She was upset for weeks."

The three soldiers shared a look. They remembered it alright. Finn's shoulder was still recovering from the bullet wound. And Max, well his scars were not physical and would take longer to heal. Their unit had been stranded behind enemy lines for three days and out of commission for more than two months in the aftermath.

"I didn't know it made the news over here." Campbell had a worried look on his face. Finn wondered if he was thinking about how much Lily knew. Being a military wife didn't give her clearance to all his missions and Campbell had tried to downplay this particular horror show.

"Barely. Most of us had no clue what she was talking about. I knew nothing. But Emily was obsessed. She gets that way."

"What am I obsessed about?"

The four men turned in unison to regard Emily. She was leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed, straining against the jacket of her navy blue suit.

"Emily," Lance bounced. "You found us."

"Yes Lance," she pushed off the door and entered the room, a twinkle in her eye. "I followed the trail of bread crumbs."

Lance looked down at his chest and dusted off some non-existent specks before looking up at her and laughing. "Oh right. Did I mention I wanted to find Captain Wainwright?"

Emily turned her pleasant face at Finn. "Mission accomplished I'd say."

Finn felt a pull at his stomach as she regarded him. He couldn't believe Emily was here. On the base. Many times he had fantasized about her showing up to his barracks, having tracked him down, promising it was all a misunderstanding, telling him she had been searching for him all this time. It was surreal. He blinked, fully expecting Emily to disappear.

She didn't. Emily was grinning at him. She opened her mouth and Finn found himself holding his breath.

"And a few other fine fellows I see."

Again, Campbell stepped in when Finn was frozen in place. "Emily Montgomery? I've heard so much about you." Campbell extended a hand and Emily took it.

Emily cast a quick glance at Finn before addressing Campbell. "Well, I hope you'll give me a chance to defend myself against the charges."

Was that a joke? Everyone but Finn took it as one and laughed. Campbell was still holding Emily's hand and Finn found himself getting uncomfortable at the sight. Why was it Campbell got to touch her, feel the warmth of her hand in his? He hadn't been granted the same luxury.

Campbell was replying to Emily. "I'm always interested in both sides of the story."

"A very politically correct response. I'll have to keep my eye on you."

Why was this so easy, thought Finn. Simply with her presence and a few well-chosen words, Emily made everyone in the room feel comfortable. Even the often painfully shy Max was beaming at her when it was his turn to be introduced. Finn was floored when he asked Emily if she could stay for a drink.

Lance made puppy dog eyes at Emily. "Oh please, Emily. It's almost quitting time. And Beth and Ben are with your father." He put his thumb and finger together with a small space between them. "Just one little drink?"

Emily addressed the crowd. "How can I deny the man this small pleasure." Finn released balled fists he hadn't realized he was clenching. She was staying. He would have time. Maybe he could find a way to talk to her alone.

"Great," declared Max. "I'll get the beer."

"Emily doesn't like beer," Finn announced. "But we have lemonade."

Emily took one of the bar stools offered by Campbell. "That will do nicely."

Taking a bottle out of the fridge, Finn poured a tall glass for her and pushed it across the granite surface separating them. His fingers lingered on the cold drink for a moment, hoping she would reach for it and he could finally get the touch he longed for. He was vaguely aware of Campbell watching his every move.

Max slipped into the other empty bar stool. His soft voice was almost drowned out by Lance's boisterous toast and the clink of bottles. "Emily, did you always want to be a lawyer?"

Finn concentrated on her answer, leaving Campbell and Lance to chat.

"Oh no. For many years I wanted to be a pirate," Emily winked. "But then I realized there were legal ways to rob the rich and give to the poor."

Finn found his lips curling upward and for once didn't try to suppress them. This was another part of Emily Finn missed, her quirky sense of humour. Oh, who was he kidding – there was so much he missed about Emily.

Max was regarding Emily with awe, like she was the lady of the lake rising out of the water. Finn couldn't blame the man. Emily was lighting up the normally drab room, like a shooting star against the night sky.

"And how do you know Finn?"

The beer Finn had been taking a sip of got caught in his throat. A look flashed across Emily's face but Finn didn't quite catch it. They both spoke at the same time.

"I was working for my brother..."

"He was staying with Simon for the summer."

Emily directed her full attention to Finn. Finn felt like the sun had come out inside the base. "How is your brother?"

"Still trying to keep the Waterfront Bar afloat. You should drop in and see him next time you are at the lake house. He'd love to see you."

This time Finn clearly caught the flash of disappointment as it flitted across Emily's face. "My father sold the lake house. Almost two years ago now."

Finn couldn't imagine the white house with the red door without her. It had been in her mother's family for years, the last place Emily had spent time with her outside of the hospital she died in. "You loved that place."

Emily's eyes locked onto his, "I do." She responded in the present tense. Her voice was clear and strong. "I always have. I want it back."

Finn's heart skipped a beat. Were they still only talking about the lake house? Or could she be referring to something else? Could she mean him? He desperately wanted it to be the latter. He had to resist the urge to climb over the countertop keeping them apart and get down on his knees and beg Emily to give them a second chance.

Each breath felt like an eternity as Emily held his gaze. He jumped when Lance slapped a hand on his shoulder, asking, "Finn are you in?"

It took a moment for Finn to tear his eyes away from Emily. There was something important here and he didn't want the moment to end. But Lance shook his shoulders and repeated his question.

"In for what?" Finn tried not to growl. He liked the man but now was not the time. And just like that, the moment was lost. Emily was studying her lemonade.

"Saturday. Campbell says you fellows haven't had a chance to get out of the city in a while. We," Lance swivelled the bottle between Emily and himself, "know a great trail close by. We could make a day of it. Maybe a picnic with the hike. What do you say? You too Max."

"Yes," piped up Emily, excitement lacing her voice. "You'd like it, Finn. It's lovely there. Please come with us."

Encouraged by Emily's interest in having him there, Finn happily agreed.

They were making plans when Lance's wife texted asking when he'd be home. "Looks like happy hour is over," joked Emily's brother-in-law.

After they left, Campbell punched Finn in the arm. "Always wondered about your weird lemonade obsession."

Finn rubbed his bicep in mock pain. But he wasn't in pain. He was excited. He was going to see Emily again. And he had time to plan. He should be able to find a way to get her alone, away from the maddening crowd on a long walk. Find time to talk. A chance to tell her what was in his heart.

A chance to see if, as Finn hoped, Emily felt the same.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 3.3K 102
Evanna Austen a freshman in college, starts out her journey with her friends. After successfully passed out her freshman year she was ready to began...
423K 10.4K 68
"I want you and you want me. Nothing else matters." Four years ago, Rachel Evans was destroyed by the only boy she ever loved. Ever since then, she...
5.5K 686 61
And when I had informed Finn of my obvious concerns, - He had pulled me up against him so close that I could feel his breath on my cheek, - and whisp...
27.1K 1.5K 53
(On adultfictions reading list) Can you fall in love with the same person twice? "I can't be with you, I just can't," she said turning away. "Why not...