Beautiful Things | Wolfstar

By QueenGrace11

Remus Lupin is many things: kind, hardworking, responsible, and...jobless. After being fired from his job, he... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen

Five

2.1K 151 218
By QueenGrace11

If there was ever a moment Remus felt more like a teenage girl - it was now.

Clothes are strewn across the floor, tags are piled on the table, and last night's left overs are being eaten viciously as Remus paces to and from the bathroom. He tosses the crust of his cold pizza onto the box, wiping his hand on a towel before grabbing a sweater. The alarm clock went off at 6 am to ensure that he wouldn't oversleep. Really he didn't even need it because he barely slept a wink.

Black trousers with a green button down and grey sweater vest. It didn't look right.

Suspenders? No.

Sirius Black needs to be impressed. That was certain.

A cardigan? Too soft.

Remus sets down the cardigan and picks up a faded purple sweater.

"Layers, Remus, layers," he reminds himself.

He takes off his current shirt and slips on a white turtle neck. On top of that goes the purple collared sweater. "How many do I button?" He fumbles with the first two, ultimately deciding to button up all three.

"What goes with purple?" he mumbles as he rummages through the bags. "More purple?"

He grabs the plum colored trousers and holds them against his body. It wasn't atrocious. He slips his legs through and fastens a black belt around his waist.

"Cuff the pants." He rests his foot on the bed, rolling up the bottom of the pants twice. "That's too much ankle." Leaving it at one roll, Remus puts on a new pair of white socks and ties the laces of his black sneakers.

Remus examines himself in the mirror, standing on the ledge of the bathtub to get a full view. A smile tugs at his lips. He hops down, combing his hands through his hair until it sits right.

Sitting down, he pulls out his journal and begins to write. Every morning for 15 minutes he writes. It varies day to day. Sometimes he writes down his dreams, other times he writes what he wants for breakfast.

The time escapes him and soon he's out the door with a dark teal almost green coat in hand and backpack secured.

"Morning," Remus says kindly holding open the door for a passing lady. He walks down the street, reminding himself to be confident. Each step becomes a little lighter and his eyes look forward rather than at his feet. There's no music, but he's walking to the beat of his own rhythm.

At 8:50 on the dot, Remus enters Black Inc.

At 8:55 he's standing at James' door.

"Come in!" James' voice calls.

Remus pushes down on the door handle, striding in.

James is sitting on the edge of his desk with a handful of papers. His eyes scan over Remus, but he makes no comment.

Remus crosses his legs unsure to take the silence as negative or positive. "Good morning," he greets, the confidence from his leisurely walk over suddenly disappearing.

"Indeed it is," James says. "You have the resume?" Remus hands him the piece of paper, watching James give it a once over. Again, his expression never wavers. "Alright set your bag down and follow me."

Without hesitation Remus drops his bag on the chair and shrugs off his coat. He smooths the edges of his sweater twice, suddenly noticing the small wrinkles in his trousers.

"Relax mate," James chuckles. "You'll be alright. Just be yourself."

Be myself, Remus thinks. There was no way in hell Sirius Black would give him, Remus Lupin, a second look. He felt like an imposter.

James shuffles through a folder of papers as he guides Remus through the office. Lily's desk is empty, as well as the others. Remus gazes around at the seemingly abandoned workplace. Maybe they didn't come to work until 10.

The elevator takes them down the the ninth floor.

It was much different - decorated with magazine covers and floor to ceiling pictures of models. A long hallway leads straight to one large black door. Remus gulps, itching his neck as he approaches it. Is this what it feels like right before being executed? At least he's dressed for it.

James pushes open the doors and laughter comes from inside. He turns to Remus with a smirk, stepping aside to let him in.

"Potter you in on the bet?" someone asks.

"Of course," James says shutting the door behind. "Fifty pounds Evans will say yes to my proposal or you can name our first born child."

Remus scans the room at the unfamiliar faces until he sees Lily. She offers a friendly smile, though her expression is wary. James nudges Remus as he takes a seat beside the head of the table across from Lily.

"Hey Mary pull that chair for Remus, would you?" James asks.

A small woman with a petite frame pulls up a foldable chair between her and James, allowing Remus to sit at the table.

"Thanks," Remus whispers, scooting himself in.

"So are you going to tell us who to new guy is?" somebody calls out.

Remus blushes profusely, looking to James. Before either can answer, the doors open and silence envelopes the room. A cold chill swirls around, tickling Remus' neck with an impending sense of fear. Backs are straighter and pens are in hand ready to write at the moment. Remus glances around at the faces of all the workers. Even James, who always has a smile on his face, wears a stone cold expression. He nods solemnly at Remus with a reassuring wink.

A tall young man strides in. His black suit is fitted like a glove and the shine on his shoes were as though they'd never been walked in before. His suit coat is open revealing a silky black button up, however, the top four buttons were undone exposing his toned chest. Silver necklaces dangle from his neck, bouncing against his chest and shimmering in the sunlight. He walks with power, knowing that if anything were in his way, they would move around him. His black hair is wavy, not quite curly, but not straight, falling below his ears angelically. It looks soft, like a cloud, but unattainable - like timeless artwork you can only admire from afar.

Black on black. Fitting for a man named Sirius Black, Remus thinks.

"Who died?" James cracks as Sirius takes a seat at the head of the table.

Sirius turns to James about to comment when Remus catches his eye. Face to face for the first time, Remus bites his lip hard enough to draw blood. Piercing grey eyes, like thunderous clouds rolling over a darkened sky, stare at him. A tasteful amount of facial hair covers his jawline and accentuates the pink of his lips. His features are hard, angular, and nothing about him screams "I'm a nice boss."

"Didn't you get the memo?" Sirius finally says, tearing his eyes away from Remus to look at James.

Something in his face, though barely noticeable to anybody, changes. Remus can't put a finger on it, but he notices.

"You lot are all dead to me." Sirius leans in his chair, surveying the room.

James rolls his eyes. "Didn't realize your name had changed to Sirius Overdramatic Black."

"Bailey, love," Sirius says disregarding James' comment. A few chairs down sits a nice looking man only a few years older. "Please tell me there's good news." He presses his fingertips together, lowering his eyes to listen only.

"Miss McKinnon hasn't received the designs yet," Bailey answers.

Sirius raises an eyebrow. "Of course she has. They were supposed to be delivered last week." Worried glances are passed around the room. "Who delivered them?"

"I had Kennedy take them," a woman tells him. Remus looks at her. She has shoulder length blonde hair and a small dainty ring on her left hand.

"You mean Kennedy, the one I fired for sleeping with Alfred?" Sirius snaps his head up with venomous eyes. "Can't find any good help these days..."

"We can get them out to her right now!" Bailey insists.

"No you bloody can't!" Sirius barks. "Do you know why? Because Italy is on the line waiting for our call in two minutes! We can't get the designs to Marlene until tonight and by then she might as well take her money elsewhere!"

"Remus will take them to her," James cuts in.

All eyes are on Remus now. It didn't bother him, he was used to stares, but Sirius - his gaze is deadly. Remus wipes the sweat off of his forehead, sitting up straighter until his spine is stiff as a board.

"Who the fuck is Remus?" Sirius asks with a low, drawn out tone.

"Me, Sir," Remus squeaks, raising his hand slightly. "I am. I'm Remus. Lupin."

Sirius narrows his eyes. "Do you work for me?"

"Erm...no."

"Did they send you from Italy?"

"No."

"Then what the hell are you doing here?"

There was no answer that could possibly ease the tension in the room.

"He's with me," James answers for him.

Sirius scoffs. "I wasn't talking to you James. I was asking him -" He leans back into his chair, folding his arms comfortably. It was almost more terrifying seeing him relaxed. "Remus Lupin."

"I-I want to work for you," Remus states.

"Eliza is our receptionist. Benjamin and Keith are our doorman. Edward is our delivery boy. All of the people in this room worked their way up to their spots and are highly qualified. What makes you think you can strut in here and demand a job?"

Remus' eyes shift over to Lily who gives a small nod of encouragement. Confidence is key.

"I'm a hard worker," Remus begins without stutter. "I follow the rules, and I get things done. I know you don't know who I am but I can promise you that I will put all my effort into my work. My resume has no gaps. All through school I was top of my classes and I-"

Sirius holds his hand up to silence him.

James taps his finger on his leg in anticipation.

"To Marlene McKinnon," Sirius says. "You have one chance Remus Lupin. Mess this up and I will have you drowning in lawsuits. You will not look at the files. You will not interact with Miss McKinnon on my behalf. You will go to and from by the time I am done speaking with Italy. Do you understand me?"

Remus suppresses his dying urge to smile, remaining professional. "Yes," he answers. "You have my word Mr...Black."

Sirius waves his hand and two of the staff members at the table immediately stand to usher Remus out of the room for the task.

"Wipe that smirk off your face James," Sirius mutters under his breath.

James chuckles, fixing his posture to be proper with his hands folded on the table to mock Sirius. "Yes Mr. Black." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

339K 9.7K 18
✨WOLFSTARR FANFICTION✨ MARAUDERS ERAAAA REMUS AND SIRIUS'S RELATIONSHIP DURING THEIR LAST YEAR ALSO INCLUDES JILY
60.7K 2.5K 24
Remus Lupin is the most popular boy in college. With leather jackets and motorbikes, he and his friends rule the school. Sirius Black is shy and quie...
19.8K 905 13
bittersweet - (adj.) something being bitter and sweet simultaneously Small, timid Remus Lupin has never so much as thought of someone with malice. He...
5.4K 269 32
New description! Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Best friends. Until they each realised that they were in love. With each other. A/N I don't own any of...