A Summer's Secret

By _cynical

Secrets come with a price. Asia Cassidy is about to learn that secrets aren't free (and are not that easy t... More

EPIGRAPH
Prologue
☼Chapter 1 [[THE SECRET]]
☼Chapter 2
☼Chapter 3
☼Chapter 4
☼Chapter 5
☼Chapter 6
☼Chapter 7
☼Chapter 8
☼Chapter 9
☼Chapter 10
☼Chapter 11
☼Chapter 12
☼Chapter 13 [[ THE TRUTH ]]
☼Chapter 14
☼Chapter 15
☼Chapter 16
☼Chapter 17
☼Chapter 18
☼Chapter 19
☼Chapter 20
☼Chapter 21
☼Chapter 22
☼Chapter 23
☼Chapter 24
☼Chapter 25
☼Chapter 26
☼Chapter 27
☼Chapter 29
☼Chapter 30
☼Chapter 31
☼Chapter 32
☼Chapter 33 [The Revelation]
☼Chapter 34
☼Chapter 35
☼Chapter 36
Epilogue
Bonus

☼Chapter 28

2.8K 158 11
By _cynical

28.

Turns out, Cade needed the help. That would explain why I'm not being scolded as of the moment. Sam intended to propose tonight in celebration for their tenth month as couples. Sure they weren't together longer than other couples but I'm pretty sure they loved each other more if not as much. Sam was in another business conference in New York and would be flying here soon, just in time to fetch London from work. That means Cade and I and our recruits, Aiden and Emerald, will have to do the necessary preparations.

"Asia, we need more rose petals for the trail," Cade said just as he got off the phone.

"Alright," I replied, "you don't mind if I ask Claude for help right?"

Cade smiled, "I should be thankful to you and your inability to keep a secret, if it weren't for you this will never have a chance for success."

"Hey, we're not failing Sam," I said as I held his shoulder, "he would be proud of us and besides we're just in charge of the decors and making sure everything Sam planned is being executed."

"Thanks," he said before running off to make another phone call.

I turned my head to look for Aiden and smiled when he was busy talking to the violinists and cellists in charge for the background music during the proposal and the candlelight dinner. Emerald was also busy helping with the lighting arrangements since Sam wanted little floating lanterns to soar to the sky when he kneels on one knee.

I dialed Claude's number and I was so glad he answered on the first ring, "hello dearest sister," I heard his voice from the other end.

"Claude, I know this is short notice but can you please drive by the flower shop?" I rambled on.

"Slow down," Claude replied with a chuckle, "flower shop? Why am I supposed to go to the flower shop?"

"Sam's proposing to London tonight and we need flower petals!" I continued to talk fast, "just take a cab and grab the box filled with petals. All expenses are already paid by Sam."

"Holy shiblets, London's getting engaged?" I heard his amused tone, "no kidding?"

I raised a brow. What the hell was shiblets? "Yes she'll be engaged once she says yes now please hop to it, part of the success of the proposal lies on your hands."

"Alright, sheesh," Claude said and I heard his footsteps from the other end of the line, "I'll be right there in less than thirty minutes."

"Thanks Claude," I said.

"Yeah, anything for my beloved sisters."

"Whatever," I replied and rolled my eyes, "gotta go now bye."

I hurriedly pocketed my phone and dashed to Cade, "hey I already asked Claude to go get the petals, what else do we need to do?"

Cade took a little notebook and flipped it to a page that looked like a checklist. I watched as he ticked off items from the list, "alright, lights...music...petals, on the way...surprise painting...food," Cade looked up to me, "food," he glanced at his watch and then back to me, "the chef will be arriving in five minutes, I need someone to escort her."

"I'm on it." I turned to see Emerald dashing to the gates and I saw Cade sigh in relief.

"Bringing your friends was a really great decision after all," he said.

"It's alright, we're going to get through this," I replied as I patted him on the back.

Aiden walked up to us and grinned from ear to ear, "so this is what it feels like to organize an event?"

"You sound happy about it," I said as I smiled back at him, "technically Aiden, Sam already organized all these, it just so happened that he's not here to help with the setting up, so we're the one setting up."

"Still, it feels good to help out," he said beaming with pride. It made me love him even more.

"Thanks mate," Cade said as he and Aiden bro hugged, "you did a really good job helping the musicians and the pyrotechniques crew set up."

Aiden smiled but it wasn't his usual smile. He looked shy and it seemed like he wasn't use to actually getting a compliment. The Aiden I knew would usually have a witty comeback but this, the real Aiden, just smiled and waved Cade, "it's nothing really."

"Hey guys," The three of us turned our heads towards the gate to see Claude struggling with a huge box, "a little help."

"Go on, I'll be the one to pay the cab," Cade said as he gave Aiden and I a pat on the back.

I nodded my head at Aiden and we both rushed to help Claude, "thanks Claude," I said as I greeted him with a hug.

"You're welcome," he said in reply, "now what do we do with it?"

After an hour or so of struggling, we finally completed the set up. The backyard garden looked like it came straight out of a fairytale. The ground was adorned by rose petals, creating a trail towards the gazebo where we arranged a round table for Sam and London to have dinner. Of course, a mini orchestra was placed strategically, by Aiden himself, to capture that romantic candle-lit dinner feel. Somewhere behind the hedges, hid the crew in charge for the fireworks display and basically the whole garden was filled with mini floating lanterns so it looked very magical and definitely special.

"They're here," Cade shouted at us, and right on cue, we all scrambled to find the perfect spot to witness the moment. Emerald was holding a camera in hand, and Claude was holding up his phone. I stood excitedly beside Aiden Walker who just stood there, waiting for the couple to arrive.

"Sam, you know I hate surprises." We heard London say as they entered the garden.

Sam was grinning from ear to ear as he held a blindfolded London with one hand and giving us a thumbs up with the other.

"Relax, I promise you'll like this," Sam said leading her by the trail of rose petals on their feet.

"Seriously Sam it's just the celebration of our tenth month, we could've just watched a movie or went to the circus or something," London replied as she held tighter to Sam.

Sam chuckled as he placed London on the spot with the most petals and took a small box from his suit pocket and then kneeling in front of her on one knee, "alright dear you can take your blindfold off now."

Claude was too excited as he took a picture before London could even get the blindfold off her eyes. I stifled a laugh just so he wouldn't know that I saw what happened and the next thing I knew Sam was already saying the words we've all been waiting to hear.

"London Sofia Cassidy, will you marry me?"

My heart swelled as I saw the look on Sam's eyes. You could just tell that he loved her so much and he wasn't expecting an answer that wasn't a yes. The orchestra was playing a lovely tune that definitely set the mood.

London wiped a tear from the corner of her eyes and bit her lip, still in shock at the scene before her.

I felt Aiden's presence closer to me now but I tried to ignore him. Unfortunately I could never ignore the feeling of his hand slowly entwining with mine and I didn't even care... or tried not to care. I didn't look at him either. I was too conscious with the feeling of his warm hand in my own. I couldn't breathe, my heart was pounding so hard.

"Yes," she finally said as Sam got up and wrapped her in his embrace, right on cue, the lanterns flew up and fireworks lit up the sky. Emerald got the perfect picture however Claude cursed as he snapped at the wrong moment once again.

Sam led a very happy London to the gazebo where their dinner awaits and then he momentarily left her as he approached us. He looked the happiest I've ever seen him and it made me even happier.

"Thank you all," he said as he gathered all of us in a group hug, "this would never have been a success if it weren't for all your efforts. I could never repay you," he added and this time, he sounded like he was about to cry.

"And Cade," he said, this time addressing his cousin, "thank you for that beautiful painting. Thank you for everything."

Cade smiled but I knew he was on the verge of crying as well. We all knew how Cade worked so hard to help his cousin. We saw all the sweat he poured into making this beautiful scene a reality. He deserved all the praises.

"I ordered pizza for you guys and of course a glass of champagne so you go on and celebrate," Sam said before returning to his fiancée.

"I told you," I turned to Cade, "I told you you'll make him proud."

"I never would've done it without your help," he replied with a genuine smile, "now who wants to party and sleep over?"

My friends, and twin, rejoiced at this as we all headed to Cade's room where Sam had the pizza, snacks, and drinks prepared.

"Oh right," Claude said as he made himself comfortable on the carpet, "I'll have to call mom and dad." Claude stood once again and excused himself from the room.

"Please tell them I said hi," I shouted as I made my way towards the window. I watched as Sam and London ate dinner together. She looked so happy and for a moment I couldn't tell that London was...well London.

"Can you believe it." I turned my head to see Aiden smiling from beside me, "they're finally settling for forever," he said, but he wasn't looking at me. Like me, he was also staring at London and Sam.

I glanced around the room only to discover that I was alone with Aiden Walker, "where are the others?"

"Claude's talking to your parents, Emerald needs to use the bathroom, and Cade's getting some extra beds for the sleepover," he replied with an even bigger smile, "don't get me wrong, I'm just too excited for the sleepover party...I've never been to one."

"Really?" I replied, genuinely surprised, "you just like missed half of your life."

"I did," he replied and I noticed the pang of longing in his voice.

I rolled my eyes, "oh come on, you that's not what I meant."

He chuckled, "yeah I know."

There's the awkward monster, enveloping us once again in another awkward silence. I tried not to stare at Aiden and instead diverted my gaze at the two lovebirds, now sharing a little dance.

"Some old bloke said something about love being a perpetual feeling. Sometimes I find myself wanting to believe it, even when most things in life seem to be only temporary," Aiden said, out of the blue and I stole a glance, only to find him staring at London and Sam as well.

Aiden is a well, sometimes dark, but always deep, and everytime I try to understand him, I find it harder to see the bottom. But that is the beauty of it right? There is always something captivating about the unknown and yhe drive to want to find out will always want you to ask for more.

"Hey Aiden."

"Yeah?"

"Do you believe in forever?" I asked and this time I turned my head to see his face in full view.

I always mention his eyes, because they're the first thing that draws you to him, they're blue and stunning, but what others don't see is the soul behind those lovely eyes. I see it, I see what Aiden Walker is made of; I see the passion, the love, the sorrow, the regrets, the hopes. These are what makes you fall, these are what makes you stay.

Like what I have said, Aiden Walker is a freakin' well and I'm afraid I have already fallen too deep.

"Only if you're in it," he replied in barely a whisper.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 330 40
Meet Kristal Jane Anderson. The girl that feels as though she was stripped from all the joys of life on one ungodly night. A night that changed her w...
129K 3.7K 37
Sofia is an ordinary girl, trying to live her life as normally as possible. Being a teen in high school isn't easy for her. Especially finding her pl...
20.9K 1.4K 31
Tyler Hart has made a lot of mistakes in his life, but he never claimed to be a good person. He gave up that idea years ago. He steals, cheats, lies...
827K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...