Pelli Choopulu

By Meenu_Panda

It is a very simple story of a couple Raghunandhu, 32 years old Architect and Parthavi, a 28 year old MBA gr... More

Trailer
The Cast
Padichu Choopulu
Varudu choopulu
Sniffy Sherlock Holmes
Eduruchoodani Sanniveshalu
Tholi Sparsha
Jejamma Siggulu Jamadagni Chirunavvulu
A Family Tree
Roja Poovulo Mullu
Potladam Mari Alagadam
Ramayanam Lo Krishnudu
Avagaahana Abhivriddhi
Jejamma Kopalu, Moddhu Chilipi Seshtalu
Nishchayam
Dragon and Thindi Pothu
The Stolen Moment
Cast - friends & Extended family
Tholi Muddhu
Dragon's Lingerie Shopping & Moddhu's Hyosung ST7
Snehithulu Premikulu
Hyderbad, Vizag and Bejawada
The Long Distance..!
A Hidden Past..!
A New Start
Pelli Battalu Shopping
Seethamma Nomulu.. Ramayya Gomulu
Samsaara Paatam.. Guna Paatam
Jitters and its Aftermath
Pelli Koothuru and Pelli Koduku
Naandhi Snathaka Vratham
Paalikalu and Madhuparkam
Sangeetham
Kashi Yatra
Gauri Pooja
A little Sneak
Kanyadaanam
Mangalyadharanam
Muthyala Talambralu
Arundhati Nakshatram and Find the Ring
Vivaha Bhojanammu! Ah ha ha ha!

Brahmamudi, Saptapadi and Sthalipakam

538 33 37
By Meenu_Panda

Brahmamudi, the knot by Brahma, is when the saree of the bride and the upper Pai Pancha(Used to cover the body of the groom, comes along with Dhoti) are tied in a knot by the sister of the groom signifying the union and strengthening of their bond.

Saptapadi, literally means Seven Steps. All over the country Saptapadi is done in different ways. It is seven steps in some part, it is Saath Phere in some part. But it is significant as each step is considered as a promise and also a blessing from the god for the new couple. 

Seven is a very significant number in hindu culture. Vaikunt, the abode of Lord Vishnu has seven doors(Dwar), As per Hindu Mythology, a human has seven birth. The rishis responsible for the birth of human are seven, Saptarishi. There are seven chakras in Human body responsible for various metabolism and mental and emotional control.  Gayatri Mantra has seven words. Week has seven days. Surya Deva's chariot has seven horses. There are seven worlds above earth and below. And many more. 

In wedding, the Seven steps, There are seven because, in a circle, which has 360 deg angle, cannot be divided by seven. Only by seven in the numbers from 0 to 9. So the Seven steps also signifies that in the cycle of life, the couple are to have a bond that is unbreakable, live undivided. 

similarly, stepping on a grindstone signifies the rock solid bond a couple should have while facing rock like hurdles. Toe rings are used to control the chakras of the body, mainly the desire and regulate them paving path for a healthy progeny. 

Earlier toe ring was worn by married males too where, the brother of the groom, makes him wear. But as times changed, Males wearing toe ring was considered insignificant. 

Sthalipakam is a ritual in which the groom ties a chain made of black beads, around the bride's neck. This is to ward of any evil that might come in their way.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Vathinagaru of the bride, i.e., sister of the groom, please come and stand behind them."

Narasimha Shastry called and Shantha came and stood behind Raghunandhu and Parthavi.

"Now tie his Pai panche and the Kongu(Pallu) of her saree."

Shantha took Parthavi's Kongu, brought it around her front and tied it to the Pai Panche of Raghunandhu that was falling freely behind him from his shoulder.

"This is the brahmamudi that the daughter of the house has tied, tying them together for lifetime with her house as her brother's better half. Everyone can bless the couple."

"Now, Groom's maternal uncle and aunt, bring the Nallapusalu(Blach beads chain) and present it to the groom."

Shankaram Shastry said. Ghana and his wife brought the Nalla pusalu and Raghunandhu took it in his hands and looked at both the parents who nodded their heads.

"Tie it around her neck"

Raghunandhu tied the black beads chain around her neck.

"This is to ward off any evil that will affect you both. This is as important as Mangalasutramu."

"Now Abbayi Ammayi, Stand up, hold her right hand little finger in your right hand little finger."

Raghunandhu held her little finger. He looked up at her. She was looking at him already. He gave his cute smile and blinked his eyes in a promise to never leave this hand that he held.

"Now move to the Sannikalu there. Abbayi, you should hold her right foot in your other hand and make her take seven steps to the Sannikalu."

Raghunandhu moved forward, bent down and held Parthavi's foot in his left hand and made her take the seven significant steps towards the Grindstone as the Priests chanted the Mantras for the Saptapadi.

Once they were near the stone on their sixth step, Narasimha Shastry asked him to put her feet on the stone for the seventh step. Raghunandhu kept her foot on the grindstone and looked up at her.

The sight was to behold. His one hand was holding her hand, his other hand was holding her foot, his eyes looking into hers. She gave him a beautiful smile. All the roses in her garland failed as Parthavi's cheeks were standing above them in the color and beauty. Raghunandhu could not help himself.

He slowly caressed her foot on the inside making her gasp and jump almost losing her balance.

Without leaving her hand, he kept his right hand on her exposed waist and steadied her. His hand on her waist made her look down and glare at him.

"Retribution"

He mumbled making him glare more.

"Abbayi, pelli Kumara, concentrate."

Shankaram Shastry warned, making everyone laugh. Raghunandhu immediately removed his hand from her waist making everyone laugh more.

"Pelli Kumara, touch her foot and then your head as a blessing. Remember this is the foot of the Lakshmi that is entering your life."

Raghunandhu happily obliged. Parthavi's eyes widened. She remembered many males whining at this thought. Even in Bhoomi's wedding Pritvi threw a tantrum albeit a different one. He whined saying that already Bhoomi was dancing on his head like Mahishasuramardini, so this was of no use.

"Now Pelli Kumara, take this toe ring and make her wear it on the second toe."

He was presented with a pair of silver toe rings. He pushed the ring on her second toe of her right foot.

"Now take her other foot, take blessing and adorn the toe ring. Grindstone is a representation of how strong your bond should be and how you should cross any hurdles in your marital life."

Raghunandhu nodded and repeated doing the same for Parthavi's left foot.

"Do not leave her hand."

Said Narasimha Shastry as he was getting the Homakundam ready for a homam.

"You don't have to say! Look at his hand that he has got glued to hers."

Vedmohan said and gave a hifi to Sathya and Ishaani. Parthavi glared at him.

"Look at who is talking, the one who has not left his wife's hand."

Parthavi said.

Vedmohan looked here and there, but refused to acknowledge his hand that was in Sathya's hold.

"Parthavi.. First look at who is holding whom."

Raghunandhu said. Parthavi frowned and saw Sathya's hand holding Vedmohan's in tight grip.

"Awww!! When did this change?"

"It has been changing now and then. You saw once, I saw once."

"We did too."

The family and friends joined.

Vedmohan and Sathya scowled at everyone.

"Today, the target should be the bride and groom. Not us."

"Both are a new couple to us. So both are targets."

Shantha said. And no one could object to it.

"Pelli Kumara, holding your bride's hand as it is, walk around this fire and sit here in front of it."

Narasimha Shastry called. Raghunandhu and Parthavi walked around the homa kundam and sat in front of it.

"This Homam is for the well being of your future and also for the next generation. Garbhadhanam."

Saying he started the homam and then called for the brother of the bride. Vrushanka came there and sat beside Shastry.

"Pelli kumarthi, forward your hands, you too, Pelli Kumara and hold her hands. Nayna Bava maridi, take this borugulu( puffed rice flakes) and hand it over to them."

Vrushanka placed the borugulu in Parthavi's hands.

"Now, stand up and pour them in the Homa pavitra agni."

Struggling both got up and poured the borugulu in the kundam.

"Now go around the fire and sit. And we repeat this twice more."

For doing this, Raghunandhu was asked to present his brother in law with clothes which he did. Vrushanka happily took the clothes and went down.

Once it was over Parthavi sighed. Holding hands, getting up without support was tiring. Raghunandhu chuckled.

"Grr!"

"Dragon!"

"Moddhu!"

"Let us see who is Moddhu by the end of night."

Parthavi widened her eyes. RAghunandhu just grinned. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 1.8K 9
It's a typical arrange marriage story dating back to 80's. π™Žπ˜Όπ˜Όπ™‰π™‘π™„ π˜Όπ˜½π™ƒπ™„π™π˜Όπ™… π™ˆπ˜Όπ™‡π™ƒπ™Šπ™π™π˜Ό She is 18 y/o girl from a village having les...
161K 4.9K 37
Vaidehi and Raghuveer...Two strangers bound through marriage A sweet arranged marriage story that ties together a lot of typical tropes in a feel-goo...
129K 6.2K 40
This story is about a woman named Anupama. This is the story of her life, her imotions and her loss. She got married in the age of 21, getting Sahil...
307K 14.2K 34
Arjun , a cardiologist and Shivani, an IT professional are married to each other.. It's an arranged marriage.. Join the journey of Arjun and Shivani...