Under Pressure // Aaron Hotch...

By MariaAckerman911

"To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. To feel the joy of... More

ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE - The End

SEVEN

1.7K 64 4
By MariaAckerman911

"You almost killed me," Aaron exclaimed as she swerved in order to not hit an armadillo.

"Stop being such a baby. I had complete control of the car."

"Entering San Antonio," Aaron read. "Looks like we're here."

"Great. I say ten more minutes until we get to the restaurant. Do you want to check in with you team before we get there?"

"That would be wise. I'll just make a quick call to Rossi. We're still on schedule for the race right?"

"Yes, if anything we're ahead of schedule. I'll probably drive straight to Phoenix tomorrow, rest for the night, and then make it to California. That cuts down our trip from five days to four and allows us to coordinate with your team."

"Shouldn't you call in with Enzo?"

"Nah. I mean I'm arriving a day early so I'll be able to get some more practice in."

Aaron made his call to Ross. "Hey Dave just wanted to tell the team we're arriving a day earlier."

"Sounds good. How's it going with you two?"

"We ran into reporters in New Orleans yesterday if you didn't see on this morning's news."

Rossi chuckled, "Oh everyone is asking who you are. They think Pierce has a new romantic interest."

"Well they wouldn't be far off," he chuckled.

"Oh my god. Did you? You sly dog. Playing hard to get."

"Dave please tell me the children didn't hear that," Aaron muttered.

"No Aaron. The team did not hear that. But if we're referring to them as 'children' then who is Mom and Dad?"

"In that analogy I'd say you would be the Mom and I'd be Dad. You definitely do let them get away with a lot of things."

Rossi laughed, "Guilty as charged. Well have fun on your little road trip."

"These updates are getting a bit repetitive. Should we just check in when there's something new?"

"You're the boss."

"I'll call tomorrow morning on the way to El Paso."

"Isn't the drive from San Antonio to El Paso eight hours?"

"Charlie is tomorrow's ride eight hours?"

"Yes Aaron, and the drive from El Paso to Phoenix is six," she replied. "So theoretically we could drive the fourteen hours tomorrow and only have five more to California."

"Fourteen hours straight is insane," Aaron said.

"I've done a twelve hour Director's cut Lord of the Rings binge. It's not insane. Just very ambitious. Plus I could probably save some time with-"

"No," Aaron interrupted. "You are not going to speed in a government car."

"But you let me earlier."

"Because it was a short distance," he argued.

"Stop being such a prude."

"Gotta love a good old fashioned lover's quarrel," Rossi chuckled. "And as much as I'd love to stick around and listen I have to go. Have fun love birds."

Before Aaron could even reply Rossi had hung up the phone. "Well that was perfect timing," Aaron sighed as they pulled into the restaurant parking lot.

"Lunch and then we check into a hotel?"

"Lunch and then hotel," he agreed.

"Great because as much as I loved doing it in a car there are just so many more options a bed can provide," she said with a wink.

Aaron chuckled, "Is that seriously all you can think about?"

"Please do not tell me that was not a good way to let off some stress. The season is 38 weeks nonstop meaning I still have a long road ahead."

"Wow."

"Oh yeah. My dad can't wait for the Vegas race. He's driving over with Bentley."

Aaron and Charlie walked into the restaurant. "Wait, why didn't you say so sooner?"

"Because I didn't think I'd be important. It's a week or so away. I'd figure the case would be closed and we'd meet at DC."

"Or we could rendezvous at hotels."

"My aren't you cheeky. Yes. That is an option as well. We could try and see where this goes."

They took a seat at some table and flipped through the menu. Aaron talked to her about his job at the BAU per her request. Everything was going smoothly until.

"Well, well, well, I didn't expect to see you here," someone said.

Aaron turned to face a man in a baseball cap that he recognized as one of the NASCAR team hats. In his brain this man was either a racer or part of the crew. Charlie replied, "I didn't expect to see you here Adams. You left immediately after the race."

"I guess we both had the same idea of taking the scenic route," Adams chuckled. "So who's this? Your new boy toy?"

"Oh please you make it sound as if I act like you. Don't humiliate yourself Clint. You know exactly that you have a list of conquests the size of Texas. Let's see, in last year's season you paraded around how many women?"

Adams sighed, "Alright you've made your point. But seriously? Honey I'm from Texas."

"Don't call me honey," Charlie warned.

"I'm just saying San Antonio is my home and it's only logical I'd make a stop here. May I sit?"

"No you may not," Charlie replied. "Why don't you join the group of women in the corner who are eyeing you?"

Adams chuckled, "I always forget how feisty you are. It's hard to think that you were once a fan of mine."

"Don't flatter yourself. Logano was always my favorite."

"Until I beat him."

"It was once race and at least he's a better guy than you."

Adams looked at Aaron as if he was sizing him up. "Looks like you found yourself a nice lawyer. Fair warning, there's a reason she wins so often. Nothing comes between her and a race. Have fun love birds."

"Just know I'm gonna beat your ass."

"Win or just rank higher than me?"

"Ranking higher than you is easy. You just have to make sure you don't crash."

"Well if Martin didn't take everyone behind him down with him then maybe I could actually beat you," Adams stated.

"That's just poor strategy on your part Clint. Everyone knows Martin is crash prone, especially on resisister plate tracks."

"I can't argue with you on that. Are you going to dinner with Logano before California?"

"Maybe, I haven't decided. Why? You want in?"

"I was just curious to know if Hamlin was invited."

"Hamlin is definitely invited. Do you forget we're on the same team?"

"I thought you two didn't get along?" Aaron saw that Clint was still standing and gestured for him to take a seat knowing full well that this conversation would be dragging on. "Thank you."

"Anytime," Aaron replied. "But I have to ask, are the two of you rivals?"

Charlie replied, "I may not like Clint, but he can be a decent guy when he wants to. He has his redeemable moments."

Adams laughed, "I know you talk behind my back Charlie. I don't have the best track record when it comes to you. But Hamlin and you do."

"Denny is a mentor to me," Charlie curtly replied. "A little friendly rivalry here and there is good."

"Are you kidding? You, Hamlin, and Harvick are impossible to catch."

"That must have taken a lot to say."

Adam rolled his eyes. "Yes Charlie, I admit you are better than I am."

"Well it's good to hear you say that now if you could stop lying to the press that we ever dated that would be much appreciated. A dinner and drinks seems a bit reaching and pathetic if you really think about it."

Adams laughed, "I was just having my fun."

"I wanted to murder you for it. There's a reason I keep my romantic life private."

"You don't have one," Adams stated.

"But everyone assumes I do. That's the issue."

"I assumed you and Hamlin had a thing three or so years ago," Adams admitted.

"Was it at Indy?"

"Yeah, the race where you placed first, Hamlin second, and Harvick third."

"Hamlin did go a bit overboard on victory lane," Charlie laughed.

"Still can't believe he gave you piggie back ride across the entire field."

"It was a hell of a celebration. Logano took me out to drinks. Never try to drink him under the table."

Aaron now had to rethink the entire relationship between Adams and Pierce. The public saw them as enemies. Although he had to admit that while they seemed to have a love hate relationship they were in good standings. Which means that their unsub isn't another competitor or someone close enough to know them in person. A small detail that could help them narrow their suspect list.

Aaron cleared his throat. "Would you like to join us for lunch or were you here with someone?"

"Believe it or not I'm here by myself. I would gladly love to join you. Have you ordered?"

Charlie replied, "We were about to when you arrived. Should we get the usual?"

"With all the fixings? Hell yeah. We might have some leftovers."

"Pfft, nice joke. You know ever well between the two of us we won't."

Aaron was still completely lost. He had no idea who they were talking about. "Excuse me for asking but who were you talking about?"

Adams replied, "Denny Hamlin, Joey Logano, and Kevin Harvick."

"You mean Sliced Bread Logano," Charlie snorted.

"And you're one to talk," Adams snorted. "You have a nickname yourself."

"Don't go there because I know yours too."

"So what is your name," Adams asked Aaron.

"Aaron Hotchner," Aaron replied as he stretched out a hand to shake his.

Adams shook Aaron's hand. "Clint Adams." The waitress noticed a break in the conversation and approached them. "Shall I order?"

"Go right ahead Fire Starter," Charlie wittily replied

"Right back at you Bandit," Clint winked.

"At least my nickname isn't Happy like Harvick."

"Oh Harvick has a long list of nicknames. Now allow me to tell this patient waiter our order," Clint grinned.

"Good evening, may I take your order," the waitress smiled.

Clint ordered their food and allowed them to order their own drinks. It was entertaining for Aaron and Charlie to observe as the woman shamelessly flirted with Clint.

Once the waitress walked away to put in their order Charlie gave Clint a slap on the back. "They don't call you Fire Starter for nothing man."

"What can I say? I'm dripping with good looks."

"Yeah yeah, you're no Frank Sinatra or James Dean bu you're passable."

"So Aaron, are you a lawyer?"

"I was a prosecutor, but I'm currently working in law enforcement."

"That sounds so predictable. Don't you agree Charlie?"

She shrugged, "Not everyone can have a cool job like ours."

"Where do the nicknames come from?" Aaron was curious to learn more about their world.

Charlie explained, "Clint started a fire in practically every race of his first season."

"You exaggerate. I got fire gear after the third time," Clint protested.

"And how about Charlie," Aaron asked Clint.

Clint smiled, "She drives like she's a bandit on the run. Short and simple."

"Sliced bread?"

"Someone called Logano the best thing that's happened since sliced bread." Clint took a sip of his drink. "Basically nicknames can be totally random and fans love them."

"Are you guys friends off track?"

"I'll take this one," Charlie stated. "Yes and no. We don't spend as much time together off track than people think. And if we do it's usually on plane rides, family barbeques, and stuff. The girlfriends and wives hangout more often than we do."

"Basically as the only female racer on the podium Charlie here has-"

"We are not talking about how I met Hamlin."

"Charlie, you're only making the man more curious."

Aaron watched as the witty banter between them continued. Food arrived and the conversation shifted to Aaron and family. Aaron found it shocking that he was not at all surprised that racing was the only topic these people could talk about. It was their lives and they reveled in every second of it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.8K 1.6K 53
We all love the drivers, that's just a fact. And we all ship them. That's a fact too. This book is full of memes, pictures, comments, happiness, sad...
7.9K 128 26
Courtney Lane was a bright twenty-seven-year-old with a great job that supported her well. She had everything going for her until one meeting caused...
19.4K 316 57
Female NASCAR driver, Jo McGuire, who drives for Joe Gibbs Racing thinks her life is perfect right now. 3 championships in the 8 years she has been r...
54.3K 946 47
"do you know how this hurts? i might don't know how to show it but it really does." on the end i said his name louder to let him know that he is the...