Book 1 - Back of the Shadows

By OtsanaStories

Book 1 - Completed Can love be found from the lies and manipulation of the past? Sadie has spent the past few... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Sixteen

661 71 6
By OtsanaStories

As they get home and unload the tree, Everett and Hudson start to pull all the new Christmas tree decorations out. Ben let the kids pick out everything but his only request was to keep it manly. He does have a reputation to hold. This Christmas is the first he will spend without the kids. To save fighting with Brittany he reluctantly allowed her to have Christmas Day with them.

"Do we really have to spend Christmas with Mom?" Hudson asks.

"Yeah I want to stay here," Everett adds.

"Sorry guys, It's just how we agreed. I get you Christmas Eve afternoon and then you will go to your mom's Christmas Eve night and spend Christmas with her." Ben says. "I wish it was different, but next year I guarantee you guys will be here.

"You know we have to go to her Christmas Party and Christmas morning she hired a photographer to take pictures. We are a happy family right." Hudson says.

"She hired someone to take pictures?" Ben asks.

"Yeah, remember she did that a few years ago." Says Everett.

"I told her not to do that again, it was awkward!" Ben says a bit too loud.

"Well, now she started again. Man, it is going to suck," Hudson states.

"I am so sorry guys," Ben continues. "Well let's make the best of the time we have together. I have been so absent and I want to change that. Any traditional things you want to do or try then let's try them."

"I'd like that dad," says Hudson.

"Me too!" Everett says.

"Well, We will need to get more ornaments later, but this is a great start," Ben says admiring their tree.

Just as he stands there looking at the tree, his work phone rings.

"Sgt Olsen," Ben says.

"Ben, This is Investigator Kilroy," He says.

"Yes sir, what can I do for you?" Ben asks.

"Just following up to see how you and the family are doing." He says.

"We are good, kids are great. Hudson is trying out for the travel baseball team and Everett is taking photography classes," Ben says. "Now, why is it that you really called."

Ben can hear him sigh into the phone. "Cop to cop, how much do you know about Brittany and Justin's relationship?" he asks.

"Only that they started to see each other maybe four years ago and that he is a Realtor as well." Ben states. "My son said something about rebranding stuff and they are in business together. To be honest, the only communication I will have with her is about the kids, nothing else."

"Ok," Sgt Kilroy says. "I am expecting results back next week for the fire and hopefully we can have some clarity about this awful situation.

"Is there anything I need to be worried about?" Asks Ben.

"As far as Brittany there is no reason to think otherwise. We are still following up on a few interviews about Justin. He is rather an odd duck, don't you think?" He says.

"That is putting it nicely," Ben responds.

Inv. Kilroy laughs "Yeah I know. Well, I will let you get back and I will talk to you again in the next few weeks."

"Thanks for checking in, talk to you soon," Ben says and hangs up the phone. He can't help but feel this knot in his stomach from their conversation.

Today was absolutely amazing. Sadie replays the moments with Ben over and over in her head. The way he looked at her, when he held her hand, the cheesy picture for Everett. He made her laugh again. The tree is up and Gunnar is on the phone with Victoria talking about the camping trip. She is glad he is so excited, it has been so long since he had something good going on in his life. As Sadie lays on the floor looking up at the tree she is falling in love with this holiday. It seems so full of love. Next year will be her year, and for the first time, she wants to make an actual life for her. A life for her and with Ben. As she is laying there admiring their work Summer and Charlie walk in.

"Good evening love!" Summer says.

"Hey Sadie," Charlies says.

"Hey, wonderful people!" Sadie says joyfully.

"Wow! I would ask how today was but I see it was good for you!" Summer says.

"What happened? We need every detail" Says Charlie.

"Ladies it was amazing! Best Christmas Tree shopping trip to date." Sadie says. "It was relaxing and fun. The kids were amazing. Everett went to take a picture of us and Ben pulled me into a big hug and I didn't push him away. God, it was so nice to be held even if it was for a quick second."

"FINALLY!!!" Summer says.

"Summer!" Charlie pulls at her.

"No, ok, in all seriousness. I am over the moon happy at this moment! Sadie, you deserve all of this! Will found his love before he died and even though he did not get the full life with that, you are now awarded the opportunity to have it all!" Summer says in almost a whole breath.

Just as she finishes her speech the doorbell rings.

"Mom, delivery!" Gunnar says.

"Me? Who would... Oh," She says.

She sees before her a bouquet of wildflowers. Wildflowers?

"Wildflowers? Who are they from?" She asks.

Gunnar, Summer, and Charlie all have that look. They know. As she pulls the card her heart leaps.

"My beautiful wildflower, me and the kids had so much fun! Thank you for allowing us to tag along and have a wonderfully relaxing afternoon. Can't wait until we all go camping. Could we see you guys again? Dinner?

Always Yours,

Ben, Hudson and Everett too, they insist"

Sadie takes the flowers and places them on the table and holds the card to her heart. She hasn't received flowers like this in a very long time. She doesn't even realize that she has zoned out, lost in her own head.

"Ok love, we will leave you to all of this. Call if you need anything," Summer says.

"It looks good on you," Charlies says.

"What?" Sadie responds.

"A smile. Enjoy your evening." Charlies says.

Summer and Charlie leave Sadie sitting at the table holding on to the card and admiring the flowers.

"Nice flowers." Gunnar states.

"Yeah, they are something huh," She says.

"Seems like that deserves a call." Gunnar encourages. "I am taking Victoria for ice cream. I'll see you later?"

"Bye sweetie," Sadie says.

She sits at the table for another thirty minutes just holding the card and staring at her wildflowers. How did he know they were her favorite?

She finally builds her courage to call him.

"Hey!" Ben says answering the phone.

"Hey, wildflowers," She asks. They are my absolute favorite. How did you know?"

"Well, I remember your mom called you wild child and you always had a love for adventure. Even after Gunnar was born you would take him anywhere and everywhere," he says. "Wherever wildflowers grow, the sun shines brighter. They are different, kind, and beautiful, just like you."

"My, my, I never took you for a romantic Mr. Olsen," Sadie says blushing. Thanking the heavens that he can't see her face at the moment.

"Honey you have not seen anything yet!" He says.

"Oh yeah? What else can I expect? White horse and carriage ride?" She jokingly says.

Ben starts to laugh. "Oh no, I will not give my secrets away. You are not the traditional woman Ms. Andrews. You deserve something outside the box of normal."

"No hints?" She asks.

"No, secrets are locked away," He says.

"Fine, I will wait." She responds.

"What do you say for another family dinner? Tuesday after baseball tryouts? Pizza?" He asks.

"Meat Lovers?" She asks.

"Sounds perfect, we will see you then," Ben says excitedly.

"See you then," She says.

As they hang up the phone Sadie takes the wildflowers to her bedroom and puts them on the nightstand next to the bed and props the card up next to it. It will be the first thing she sees when she wakes up. It's little things like this, not so much the flowers, but the card that means the most to her. She knows that he means every word he writes and backs up the words with his actions.

She has always had a guarded heart. To her, it is the most vulnerable part of herself. When she finds that her emotions are too much to handle, she takes some comfort that her heart was still intact. With Ben, whether he realizes or not, he has broken down the walls. It's the main reason that it has taken her longer to open back up to him. He is the first person she gave her heart to.

Children's love is like no other. Gunnar will always have a piece of her heart, but she has known that he will leave. Grow his wings and fly away making a life outside of hers. She has always wished for someone to want her, love her. When Ben declared it, all the walls came tumbling down and she was his. When she felt that piece of her life slipping away she couldn't handle it.

Tonight she realizes that she needs to fight harder for herself, for Ben. Even when that beautiful demon of doubt creeps up to try and remind her that she is not good enough, she needs to tell it to suck it. She is good enough because she wants it all in life.

This is her time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.8M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...
1.3M 100K 41
"Why the fuck you let him touch you!!!"he growled while punching the wall behind me 'I am so scared right now what if he hit me like my father did to...
14.1K 2.1K 62
*** COMPLETED STORY *** With a rough past that sent her life down an undesired path, Kinsey has made it work. She's in a job she mostly likes and exc...
6.8K 435 33
I will never claim to be some kind of saint. Like all beings I have a dark side too. A past, one I do not like to share. Everyone has a curse and I n...