Nicole Carraway | The Great G...

Від Crimsonsky132

One minor change can bear life and death to many, and perhaps Jay Gatsby outruns his treacherous fate. There... Більше

Chapter 1
Summer Nights
Gatsby, Jay Gatsby
Mr & Mrs Buchanan
The Valley of Ashes
Bearcats and the Lower Class
Prohibition Phooey
One of Those Nights

Tantalizing Secrets

1.2K 38 7
Від Crimsonsky132

A/N: In honor of drinking far too much this past weekend, here's an update to show off a little bit of the aftermath of one of Gatsby's parties. Cheers! 

Chapter 8

Nicole didn't know how long she had sat out there, but a feeling of abandonment crashed over her like the waves breaking the shore.

Jordan had not returned. Mr. Gatsby had not returned.

She felt terribly lonely even though she could still hear the party in the background. Things were starting to slow down inside and Nicky noticed when the big band had been replaced with a pianist, the slow and drawn out notes pulsing in her head.

It was time to go home. They weren't coming back.

She stood without much grandeur, losing her footing in the sand. Nicky was still zozzled from the drinks even though her head was less foggy than before, and she blamed her heartache on the alcohol. She sniffled slightly, but shook her head quickly to snap out of it.

There was no reason to fuss. She was stronger than this.

As she stepped inside she noticed the lack of attendees. It was getting late, and the stragglers were chatting and laughing quietly in their own groups, oblivious of the staff cleaning up the drinks and the balloons around them.

She had a hard time believing that this was an easy lifestyle to uphold. Nicky couldn't wrap her head around throwing such great parties at the rate that Gatsby had been conducting them.

The party was new and exciting and different than anything she had ever seen, but Nicky felt a rock in her belly. She was a fish out of water as she made it to the front of the house. There were bankers and models leaving in their beautiful cars, and she leaned against the railing overlooking the front lawn and the driveway.

She felt far away from it all. The people and the cars all seemed to blur together.

"Nicole!" She heard a holler, and turning quickly she saw a red in the face Jordan Baker approaching quickly, wildly.

She practically caught Jordan as she stampeded into her arms.

"Hey you." Nicky replied quickly, her bubble of nerves falling to the wayside. "Did you get lost?" 

She joked, but it was as if Jordan wasn't listening.

"I am the absolute worst!" Jordan was speaking quickly, an apology on the tip of her tongue. "How long was I gone? Too long! But it makes sense. Oh Nicky, it all makes sense!"

She was rambling away, and Nicole set her hand on Jordan's hand to steady her. Her hands were clammy. Clearly she was shaken.

"Jordan what are you talking about?" Nicky let out breathily.

"Oh!" She exclaimed. Her eyes went wide in realization. "Here I am tantalizing you and I swore I wouldn't tell."

She swore?

"You swore?"

Nicky didn't know whether to be surprised or upset, but whatever Jordan had learned was not her business.

She must have been shaken up a good deal because as she looked over Jordan's shoulder she spotted Mr. Gatsby at the top of the steps. He was watching them. What in the heavens were they talking about?

"My lips are sealed." Jordan mimicked zipping up her lips and throwing out the key, but her amused expression didn't quite make it to her eyes.

"That's a mean trick." Nicole puffed out, but she softened at Jordan's frustrated appearance.

She noticed that Jordan was having a battle with herself.

"Hey," Nicky started again, but this time a little more composed. "It's not my business. Keep your promise, no matter how tempting it is." She smiled softly at her newfound friend and Jordan gave her a complicated look.

"That's not it. It's just that -" The words died on her mouth as she felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning, they couldn't believe it.

Mr. Gatsby had snuck up on them.

There he was, his sharp gaze watching them with a calculated and composed grin. Not a single hair was out of place, and his movements were fluid like water. It was all so proper, and it made Jordan stand up straight. She shook away her doubts and let out her own breath of relief before turning back to him.

"I wanted to thank you for coming tonight." He shared a knowing glance at Jordan, but his stare landed back on Nicole without hesitation. He was sweet, but there was something hidden there.

Gatsby was an enigma to her.

"The both of you." He clarified lightly. "If you need anything at all, just ask for it."

It seemed like nothing and everything all at once.

He smiled again a little more loosely, the corners of his eyes creasing and Nicky nodded her appreciation. She found it hard not to keep looking at him, especially with the way he was looking at her. 

Jordan pulled her in quickly for shoulder squeeze before Nicole had the chance to speak.

"I better get out of here. I think that's my ride." Jordan observed, watching on as another string of cars rolled up. "But let's get tea next week. I'm in the phone book!"

She practically danced down the steps with a wave to the both of them, disappearing among the group crowding around the automobiles before Nicky had the chance to say a goodbye.

That was quite the show.

"What a night."

The words fell off of her tongue lightly, and with a soft sigh Nicole leaned against the top of the staircase. It was getting late. She needed to get home.

"Yes." She heard Gatsby agree with a hum. "What a night."

She shifted her shoulders, watching his expression change from the professional gentleman he had been acting as to one she almost didn't recognize. He seemed content, like a weight had been lifted from him.

The breeze had made Nicole's hair flutter around her face and she could smell the tasteful cologne that he wore, and for a moment she didn't know quite what to do.

His eyes found hers again and Nicky fought the urge to look away, regardless of her embarrassment from staring. He didn't mind, and instead checked his pocket watch before looking back up to her. It was later than he thought.

"May I walk you home?" Gatsby offered generously, ignoring the staggering drunks walking past them.

"Oh, it's not too far, -" Nicky contested quickly, but she was subdued by the slight smile on the edge of his lips.

"I insist."

How could she say no?

Instead of turning down his offer again she nodded in agreement, and they turned to cut across the grass from his yard to hers. She didn't put her arm in his, but they did walk side by side like friends would. Their walk was silent aside from the wave of wind that brushed up now and again and from the grasshoppers that were singing quietly in the night.

Nicole thought about all of the dastardly tales that she heard from the party, her head swimming with uncertainty.  She couldn't believe the wild stories about Gatsby. Her neighbor was nothing if not generous and kind in her experience. But still...there was something concealed, buried there behind the suave man that walked next to her.

She noticed the way that he was playing with the ring on his finger, not a wedding ring no, but it was larger and boxy. He fiddled with it blindly as if he was restless.

It had only been a minute or two before they reached her cottage and she offered him another kind smile, pushing back her wild hairs over her shoulders. 

 Even in the dead of night the heat was still taking its toll. The alcohol and the summer heat and the butterflies from standing next to Gatsby did not help Nicole one bit.

"I meant it you know." He began strongly, and she looked at him with a quizzical brow. Her head was spinning, trying to figure out his vague statement. Nicole's expression made him clear his throat and start again.

"If there is anything you need, just ask."

His generosity was overwhelming, of course, but she could hardly understand why he was extending it to her. Her excitement from earlier in the night had died down.

Nicole hummed thoughtfully at his offer.

"Do you think you can make it rain?" She asked half in jest, looking up to the clear skies above.

"I'll put in a word." He agreed thoughtfully. Without missing a beat he captured his chin in his hand and stroked it in contemplation. If anyone could do it, it was Gatsby.

It made Nicole stifle a laugh, and she played with the material of her dress to distract herself. She couldn't tell if he was being kind or flirtatious, and in the state she was in she didn't want to push her luck.

How she was lucky enough to steal a moment of his attention, she didn't know. She wouldn't dare to ask.

"And I must apologize for stealing Miss Baker away from you tonight." He offered lightly, and Nicky brushed it off with the wave of her hand.

"Oh, don't fret about it Mr. Gatsby." She smiled again. "Keep your secrets." Her words were taunting but not unkind.

He looked from her down to his wingtips with a careful grin, shaking his head slightly. When he looked back up she was giving him a curious expression, but he didn't mind it. He had been aloof most of the night.

"Goodnight, Nicole."

His words were endearing.

"Goodnight." Nicole agreed with a beat, turning to climb up the stairs to her home.

His eyes were trained on her until she closed the front door before he turned, a breath of relief overcoming him. Everything was coming together, he just knew it.

*****

Nicole stayed in bed for most of the morning.

Her head felt like it was splitting apart and her feet ached from standing on them all night. She made a vow to herself to never wear those shoes again. A groan bubbled out of her when she made a move to stand up, and she rubbed at her temples viciously to try to subdue the throbbing pain. The shoes were the least of her problems.

Everything was hot. The air was still and her house was stuffy, sunshine spilling in through the windows. She was in an oven.

Nicky's cheeks were flushed and her hair was clinging wildly to her forehead and neck. She was still in her dress from the night before and she had to peel it away before stepping into a lighter night slip, half tripping over herself in the process.

She was the pinnacle of grace and elegance.

No one would see her, and Nicole could hardly care about her state of undress. She was cursing at her silliness for not taking better care of herself.

It would pass. The pain would pass.

Instead she tried to remember all of the good parts about her evening; the dancing and drinks and the fireworks. She remembered Jordan and Gatsby. It was one wild night.

Even in her drunken charade, Nicole was convinced that she didn't make a fool of herself. It was a successful night, but now she was paying for it.

She stood slowly and made an effort to open her windows. The air outside was still warm, but at least this way she could benefit from the breeze. It was better than nothing. She made her way to the washroom like she was in slow motion. Nicky could hear the creaks of every step she was taking.

The trek was worth it, and she grabbed a hand towel and dampened it with water to cool off. The cool cloth raked over her neck and she let out a moan of relief, taking a moment to tie her hair back and out of her face. She scrubbed away the leftover makeup and grime until her face was pink, wringing out the towel again before scrubbing at her arms and legs. It was far too hot to take a bath.

Her stomach was in knots waiting to see if the alcohol would fight its way back up, nausea becoming a quick companion.

For a moment Nicole was all for prohibition. No amount of bootlegged juice was worth this.

In between bursts of taking aspirin and rubbing her aching muscles and sleeping off her headache, the day floated by.

Nicole was fast asleep by the time there was a subtle tapping noise on her windows, water falling from the sky like a godsend. 

 Maybe someone had put in a good word after all. 

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

NOT the Great Gatsby Від Seth

Історичні романи

1K 2 10
Definitely NOT the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Set in Jazz Age New York, the novel tells the tragic story of Jay Gatsby, a self-made milliona...
The Great Gatsby Від Read the Classics

Історичні романи

536 21 9
Jay Gatsby is the man who has everything. But one thing will always be out of his reach. Everybody who is anybody is seen at his glittering parties...