Sitting Ducks

By RachelJessie

Everyone has a different view on life. For example, when you see someone dead, you never say they deserved it... More

Prologue: 671
Chapter One: 214
Chapter Three: 749
Chapter Four: 84
Chapter Five: 403
Chapter Six: 544
Chapter Seven: 380
Chapter Eight: 959
Chapter Nine: 104
Chapter Ten: 11
Chapter Eleven: 21
Chapter Twelve: 63
Chapter Thirteen: 946
Chapter Fourteen: 0
Chapter Fifteen: 368
Chapter Sixteen: 637
Chapter Seventeen: 8
Chapter Eighteen: 550
Chapter Nineteen: 442
Chapter Twenty: 389
Chapter Twenty-One: 207
Chapter Twenty-Two: 648
Chapter Twenty-Three: 152
Chapter Twenty-Four: 204
Chapter Twenty-Five: 352
Epilogue: 199
Alternate Epilogue: 768

Chapter Two: 153

269 7 1
By RachelJessie

My first kill was a man named Charles Kenneth, or 153. I killed him with my first gun, and it was exhilarating. After a while, the novelty had worn off and it was just my job. But I was different than most killers.

In fact, I've always been different. Michael Dodd told me I was different from the start. He saw greatness in me, he said. It was all crap though, he didn't see anything in me but some dollars signs.. I'm making myself sound like a prostitute.

As I opened the door, the first thing I saw was Emily's tear stained face. Her brown eyes, that were usually bright and happy, were filled with fear. She reminded me of the old Elise, who was vulnerable and weak.

"Come with us nicely, Silver, and we won't hurt the girl. A man said, pointing a gun at Emily's head. She whimpered, and he grinned. I looked behind him, and smirked. There were only five men, what were they thinking? I opened the door a little wider.

"Why don't we talk about this inside? I'm sure the cop across the street would love to see what was going on?" I suggested slyly. The man looked worried for a second, then put his emotionless mask back on.

"I don't buy it Silver. You have ten seconds to give up before her brains are splattered on the sidewalk, and then you're going to be taken to BrickStone. Give it up Silver, there's no way you could win." I prayed that Jared would do something, I was stuck.

"Ten, Nine, Eight." He teased. Emily looked like she was going to pass out.

"Seven, Six." Three of the men behind him fell down silently. Jared. I resisted the urge to look up.

"Five, Four.." I remained motionless as the rest of the group fell to the ground with quiet thumps.

"Hey ugly!" Jared shouted from the roof. The man looked up and at that moment I sprung into action. I pushed his gun up, and a shot rang out. Emily was shoved behind me, and I pushed her down.

"Brat!" The man roared and tackled me. He pinned my wrists and grinned, but I spat in his face. With that distraction and flipped him over , banging his head on the sidewalk.

"Here's what's going to happen. We're leaving, and you aren't going to follow us. Got it?" He nodded and I got off. Jared appeared beside me and handed me my bag. I glared at the man one last time, and turned away.

"Silver!" He shouted weakly. I turned around, on instinct. He had stood up.

"If you go now, L might show mercy." I scoffed, I didn't need his mercy. Quick as lightning, the man drew his weapon and shot me in the leg. I bit my lip to stop myself from screaming in pain.

"By the way Silver, my name is Andrew. You might want to remember that." He ran away and Jared refused to pursue him. He tore off some of his shirt and wrapped it around my leg.

"Elise this looks really bad. You need Hannah now, I don't care what you think." I shook my head.

"No." I said weakly, but he ignored me and placed me gently in the car. Pulling out his cell, he called her.

"Hannah I'll be there in five minutes with Elise. I know where you are. Elise was shot and she's losing blood." He yelled over the phone. Waiting a few seconds, he muttered a good-bye and then hung up.

"Why did he want us to know his name? What importance will that have?" I asked quietly, struggling to stay awake. Besides being an assassin like me, Hannah was also a medic. Jared placed a hand on my forehead.

"You're burning up Elise. I don't know what the hell just happened, or who that Andrew guy was. He looked middle-age, maybe thirty. Probably an operative." Jared honked his horn as he was cut off. I leaned against the window.

Operatives were people who worked for BrickStone willingly. They got paid, and probably had families. Most were men, but I was sure that there were women. For all I knew, L could be a woman. Black dots clouded my vision as I started to fall asleep.

"Elise stay awake! We're here, just stay awake please!" Jared shouted. He picked me up and carried me out of the car. A thought came to my mind suddenly.

"Emily." I sputtered, and Jared swore. How could I have forgotten about her? She was probably dead though, the man probably came back and killed her.

"Go Jared. I'll patch her up while you go get that girl. I'll call you if any major problems happen." The world started to spin and I felt like I was going to throw up. The last thing I saw was Hannah's face, looking very concerned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can't kill me, you're nothing but a child." He spat. I shook my head and smiled at me.

"Let me tell you a story. It's about the little killer that could. The only reason I haven't killed you yet is because you amuse me, and also I'm ahead of the schedule." I snapped at him. He struggled with his bonds, but gave up. There was no way he could escape, I had made sure of that.

"You don't want to do this little one, you'll be filled with guilt. Once you kill someone, you can never take it back." He said darkly. I shrugged my shoulders, not caring. I didn't have a choice anyways. Checking my watch, I saw it was time. I raised the gun and pointed it between his eyes. He chuckled, but still stayed silent.

"What, no last words?" I asked. He paused for a moment. "Good luck." He whispered and I hesitated. Why would he wish me good luck?

"Same to you." I shot. His eyes rolled to the back of his head. I had shot him in the heart, with perfect aim.

The adrenaline hit me, hard. I felt a little guilty, but couldn't keep a smile off of my face. Nothing could

Not even the tranquilizer dart that hit me in the neck. 

-----------------------------------

"Elise? Her name is Elise, what the hell!" I heard someone shout. I winced, and slowly opened my eyes.

"What is going on! I need answers now, I'm serious." Emily, she was alright.  I took in the scene in front of me, and started laughing.

Emily was poking her finger into Jared's chest, and yelling at him. To tell you the truth, Jared looked a little scared. Emily was at least a foot shorter than him though. They both looked at me, and smiled. 

"Elise! You're awake, that's great. Anyways Hannah says stay on bed rest and whatever you do don't move your leg." I nodded. I had been shot before, in the arm though.

"TYLER IT'S YOUR TURN TO CHECK ON ELISE! MOVE YOUR BIG FAT-" I heard Hannah shout. Jared chuckled and turned to Emily.

"Tyler is part of the group, in case you didn't know." She just glared at him and walked up to me.

"Sarah James?  Everything you told me was a lie, every single word. I came over to tell you I got your mail, when next thing I know some giant guy is holding a knife at my neck! And then, after all that you left me there! I could've died you know that!" She started to cry, and I frowned. 

"There was nothing I could do Emily, you're lucky I remembered you. Otherwise BrickStone would've-" Emily cut me off.

"BrickStone! What the hell is BrickStone! Is that where you work, or something?" She asked, clearly annoyed. The door opened and there stood a man, around my age, maybe a little older.

"BrickStone is the reason why you're here. Actually, no, why are you here?" He asked. I looked him up and down, he was very good-looking. He caught me staring and grinned. 

"So you're the famous Elise huh? Hannah talks about you all the time, you know." He siddled up to my bed. Holding his hand out, I shook it and smiled. This must be Tyler.

"She's here because she was involved. Actually, if she wasn't there, Elise wouldn't have been shot." Jared muttered and glared at Emily. She smacked him up the head.

"You listen here! Don't you dare blame me for any of this, just let me go home!" I rolled my eyes.

"You're not going home, you're a target now Emmy, whether you like it or not." She marched up to my bed. 

"Don't ever call me that again. Only Sarah called me that, not Elise." She dragged out the word. "What the hell are you, and what do you do." She spat, looking angry. What happened to sweet friendly Emily?

"Fine. You want the truth, I'll give you the truth. My name is Elise Silver, and I'm a killer. That's my job. Some organization that captures criminals to use as lab rats is after me and Jared. Everyone else in this house is a killer too." I started to yell at her. She stared at me for a few seconds, than passed out. Everyone in the room groaned.

"I say we kill her." Jared snapped and I smiled. Looking down at Emily, I began to feel tired again.

"Maybe." I yawned and started to slip back into sleep. Jared pulled the covers over me.

"Sleep well Lise, I'll check on you later." He whispered. I smiled and finally drifted off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

401K 10.4K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...
18 3 4
In a declining, pre-apocalyptic city where vampire/human society is barely hanging on by a thread, Elise, who is just a human, gets to attend the onl...
269K 10.8K 55
𝖸𝗈𝗎 𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝖿𝗋𝖾𝗌𝗁 𝗈𝗎𝗍 𝗈𝖿 𝖼𝗈𝗅𝗅𝖾𝗀𝖾 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝖺 𝗆𝖺𝗌𝗍𝖾𝗋𝗌 𝗂𝗇 𝖼𝗋𝗂𝗆𝗂𝗇𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗒. 𝖸𝗈𝗎 𝖺𝗉𝗉𝗅𝗒 𝖺𝗍 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝗍𝗈𝗐𝗇�...
23.3K 832 67
'Monsters are real, as much as we want to deny their existence, and sometimes, when you close your eyes and wait for them to go away, they're still t...