Clay's Cottage (Book 1)

By tricia-joy

[COMPLETE] Seeking inspiration for her next historical romance novel, Tilly Fletcher visits a mysterious 19th... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Author's Note

Chapter Twelve

2.6K 174 19
By tricia-joy

A week had passed since I started my governess job and I had settled in well. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, including the servants, and I had become good friends with Robbie, the stable boy. It turned how he was an avid reader, also, and we would end up having in depth conversations about books we've both read.

Being such a beautiful day, I had decided I would take the girls outside to the garden and teach them to read Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. It had been read to them before and they loved it, so I thought it would be the perfect book to begin with.

It was a slow process, but I had them take turns in reading aloud a page at a time, and they were doing really well. We had to stop often so I could answer their questions about the storyline, but I was thrilled they were taking such an interest.

I sat between the girls on a garden seat, and as Annie was reading her page, Libby interrupted with, "Who's that man?"

"What man, sweetheart?" I was a little confused, as there was no man mentioned on the page we were reading.

She didn't answer, but instead outstretched her arm and pointed in the direction of the driveway. As soon as I looked up, there was no mistaking who the man was.

Constable Edward Doyle.

Now there was a face I had hoped I'd never see again. The three of us watched with interest, book forgotten, as he sat atop his horse, making his way to the front of the house.

I could see Robbie approaching him in the distance, and Constable Doyle dismounted his horse. After a few exchanged words, Constable Doyle shook his head and Robbie retreated back to the barn, hopefully an indication that Constable Doyle wasn't staying long.

I rose from my seat and watched as he started for the front door. I couldn't think of a single reason of why he would be here, and really hoped he didn't bear bad news.

"Stay here, girls. I'll be back in a moment. Continue reading the story to each other."

"Yes, Miss," they both said.

I heard the voice of Annie continue on with her page as I cautiously walked towards Constable Doyle. I wasn't entirely sure why I was going to him, but was curious to hear what he had to say.

At first he didn't notice me, but my movement in the corner of his eye must have attracted his attention. He stopped and waited for me to reach him, the seemingly permanent scowl on his face once again present.

"Ah, Miss Fletcher. So the rumours are true."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What rumours?"

"That you're working for Mr. Valentine."

"So?"

"People are talking about you, you know. Saying you should've been thrown in gaol. Some even say you should've been hanged."

"What on earth for?"

"Housebreaking with intent to steal."

"Nicholas knows the real reason why I entered his house that day. He believes me and that's all that matters."

"Well, Clay's an idiot."

"Is that how you speak about all your friends?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

"Puh. Friend."

This guy was infuriating. "And how is it everyone knows my business? Who started these rumours in the first place? I certainly didn't and I'm pretty sure Nicholas wouldn't."

"Are you sure of that? Huh?" He took a step towards me and I took one back.

Yes, I was sure Nicholas wouldn't stoop to that level. I knew very well who would, and he was standing right in front of me.

"Whatever. I think you should leave. You're not welcome here." As I turned to walk away, he grabbed my arm, squeezing hard.

"Ow! Get your hands off me!" I had hoped I didn't yell too loudly to alarm the girls.

He pulled me close and stared straight into my eyes. "I'm watching you, Fletcher. Everywhere you go, I'll be watching you. You'll pay for your crime sooner or later." His breath stunk and I almost gagged.

"Let go of me or I'll-"

"Or you'll what? Call for the Constable?" He laughed menacingly at me, bearing his brown, decaying teeth.

"Constable Doyle, what brings you here?" I heard Mr. Valentine's voice say nearby. Constable Doyle dropped my arm in an instant and promptly turned to him.

"Mr. Valentine, pleasure to see you again. What a glorious day."

My heart was racing and I took some deep breaths to calm my nerves. I glanced over at the children and thankfully they were still engrossed in their book, oblivious to everything going on around them.

"It most certainly is, Constable. Would you like to come in for some tea?"

"Oh, no, I don't mean to intrude. I was just passing through the area and thought I'd drop in to check everything was as it should be."

"Why, of course."

"A word of advice, Mr. Valentine. Be on high alert for any suspicious behaviour, and make sure to keep your valuables locked up tight. Sometimes there could be a thief right under your nose and not even know it."

Mr. Valentine chuckled, not quite understanding his meaning. "Well, all right. If you say so, Constable."

"I'd best be off. Good day, sir."

"Good day." Constable Doyle turned, narrowed his eyes at me, then strode over to his horse. I stood frozen on the spot. He was a scary man with obvious issues, and I hoped I would be gone before I ever crossed paths with him again. "Are you all right, Miss Fletcher? You look pale," Mr. Valentine asked me, snapping me out of my daze.

"I'm fine. I just... Constable Doyle makes me feel very uncomfortable."

We both watched as he vanished up the driveway, leaving a trail of dust behind him.

"I suppose it's part of his job description. I wouldn't take it too personally."

"He can't seem to let things go. He wants to believe everyone has committed a crime."

"Yes, in all the years I've known him, I have noticed that about him, too."

"How many innocent people have been punished for a crime they did not commit, do you think?"

Mr. Valentine shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine, Miss Fletcher. I thought being falsely accused himself, he would be more careful. But it seems as though because he was falsely accused, so should everyone else."

"Constable Doyle was a convict, wasn't he?"

He nodded. "Fourteen years transportation to Tasmania for stealing a pocket watch."

"So what happened? If they convicted him and transported him to Tasmania, all the evidence must have pointed to him being guilty."

"He was a first footman for an aristocratic family in England. The Lord's pocket watch went missing and when they searched the servants rooms, they found it hidden under his pillow. He claimed the second footman placed it there as he wanted his job as first footman."

"Wow."

"That was over 30 years ago. He's done his time, however, can't seem to let it go."

I nodded, thinking it would be a difficult thing to get over, especially if you were innocent.

The girls were becoming restless. "I had better get back to the children, sir."

"Of course. How are they doing?"

"Very well, sir. They're eager to learn and seem to absorb new information like a sponge."

"Wonderful, just wonderful. And I must say, Miss Fletcher, I am very pleased with you. You are turning out to be the best Governess we have had for the children."

"Oh, well, thank you, sir," I said, blushing a little at his compliment.

"We have found the perfect Governess for them, now we need to find them a father."

"Oh. Isabella did mention you were finding her a husband."

"Yes. And I think I have found the right one, I just need to get him onboard with the idea."

"I see." I wasn't sure if I should've asked the next question, but what did I have to lose? "Maybe you should let Isabella choose her future husband?"

"Goodness, Miss. If I had've let her choose her husband the first time, she would have ended up marrying the stable boy."

I laughed, thinking he was joking. He wasn't joking.

"Do you mean..."

"Yes. Robbie. They never admitted it, but I saw looks between the two."

"I mean, would that have been such a terrible thing? If they were in love..."

"Love? Goodness, Miss. It was a teenage infatuation, that's all. She has been married and had three children since. I'm sure that ship has long sailed."

"Sometimes all a woman wants is to be swept off her feet."

"We're not living in a fairytale, Miss Fletcher. Isabella doesn't need Prince Charming, she needs someone who can provide for her and her children."

"And Prince Charming isn't capable of doing that?"

"Not always, no. Isabella will come to love whoever I choose, just as she did with William."

There's was no point arguing with a 19th century, old fashioned man, in a time where arranged marriages were common. Besides, it was really none of my business.

The girls started to argue, so I smiled politely at Mr. Valentine, then made my way back to them.

I had my own problems to deal with. The painting should be back in a week or two, and I was praying the time travel would still work. Not only that, I needed to avoid Constable Doyle as much as possible so he wouldn't cause trouble for me or the Valentine family.

I made a mental note to research Constable Doyle further when I made it home. The genealogist inside me was interested to find out more about the whole pocket watch incident, and I must say, would make a brilliant storyline for my second novel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 763 22
** Picks up where The Edge of Hell (Mitchell Brothers Series Book One) left off** If there's one thing Declan Mitchell learned from watching his mama...
236K 2.1K 64
Timmory Cross, a restless university student and newly-turned werewolf, must navigate her complicated double life while hunting the beast that turned...
127K 6K 58
Book 1 of The Secrets of Spiritwood - Complete Carter Jones had spent her entire life in Spiritwood, until the day her father finds himself in hot wa...
174K 9.5K 24
[BOOK #1 OF THE SONGBIRD SERIES] (Book 2 out now!) A story in which Clay is a trained killer. The top of the Specialties, to be exact. And when he fi...