Of Soot And Cinders

By -crucible-

[boyxboy] [completed] [unedited] Soot is a slave at the royal palace. He earned his name from his job of clea... More

Content Warning
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX

XXX

19.8K 905 376
By -crucible-

SINDRI
Six Months Later

I bit my lip and pulled as the hem of my jacket. My heart beat fast enough that I was worried about my ribs cracking under its pounding. It didn't help much that Grimm was nowhere to be seen. I wasn't upset about his absence, I knew he had meetings most mornings, and a foreign dignitary had arrived last night demanding an audience. But holding court on my own was killing me with nerves.

There was no one in the great hall yet and until the designated time begun I would be sitting in the room relatively alone. Grimm had promised he would be back before citizens came pouring in with requests for help and offerings of gratitude. The moment of his return would not be soon enough.

My head snapped to my left as a small door to the side of the room opened. Grimm after having lost me by way of the servants halls had found joy in sneaking through the castle unseen. He'd even begun to find parts of the castle I hadn't known about. When he was in a foul mood or especially stressed I let him drag me on adventures, and never once would ha complain at my lumbering speed.

But it wasn't Grimm who entered through the side door and my heart sputtered to a disappointed pulse. It was the king—or well, the old king—Grimm's father. The guards straightened at his entrance, wary but not immediately threatened. I knew that if I made any movement to suggest discomfort they would have my father in law removed from the room.

He waited, which I was shocked to see, for my invitation to approach. I knew what he had done. How he had orchestrated my being sold, how he had tried his best to remove me from his son. I knew he had done it for the same reason Wolf had, he was scared for Grimm, he wanted to protect someone he loved. I'd forgiven Wolf before he apologized, and I had forgiven the old king just the same. But I still grew stiff as the old man approached.

It was strange being on the dais while he was the one, head bowed and neck bared, on the marble floor. It was surreal, I was standing in the place of of the man who had sentenced me to death, and there he was, in the same place where I had been.

I bit my lip. Grimm was always the first to speak, telling others when he was ready for them to talk. I wondered if as a ruler I should always hold command of a conversation, give others permission to open their mouths... but I didn't. I sat, straight backed, and stared.

Soon my father-in-law opened his mouth. "I have never been so wrong in my life, My Luna, as when I tried to tear you from my son. Nor have I been so wrong as to go against what I saw, the kindness in you, the grace and mercy you held, and sentence you to death regardless. I will live the remainder of my life wishing I could have done things differently."

I sighed before speaking. "Will you not beg for my forgiveness?"

"No, Luna. I will not ask that of you. What I have done is not forgivable. Separating mates is an offense to the goddess. Hurting ones son, and an innocent man out of fear is worse." He kept his neck bared to me.

"Well I do forgive you." I said.

"Thank you." I could hear him sniffling.

"I think you should apologize to Grimm too. I think he needs to hear how sorry you are. And—and it hurts me to see him hurting."

The old king looked up. I could see tears running down his face. "My son is lucky to have you by his side. I will do as you say, Luna."

I nod.

He licks his lips. "If I may. Your Majesty, I have a gift for you. One I had hoped to give you on your wedding day, but it arrived much later."

I furrowed my brow. Our wedding? That had been nearly three months ago. It hadn't been anything extravagant, just me and Grimm sneaking off on the full moon to an ancient temple. We'd kept it so secret that it was still only a rumor that Grimm had proposed.

"How did you find out?"

"My son, like his mother, had a mouth blessed for talking. His moon and stars, Luna I am not sure that there is an ear in the palace that has not heard ramblings of his love for you."

I mentally flinched. Goddess so everyone did know. But I also felt a flush rise to my cheeks. I loved Grimm so much. The thought of him gossiping about how in love with me he was made my heart tingle with adoration.

"If I may, your Majesty."

I shook my thoughts away from my mate and nodded for him to continue. He stepped forward and held out a little wooden chest. It was simple in design but polished to a shine. I took it gently from him. I placed it on my lap before gently lifting the latch and lid.

I couldn't believe what was before me. My eyes widened as I took it in. I looked up to my father in law questioning what I saw.

"Is this real?"

He smiled meekly and nodded his head. I looked back to the gift. A set of silver ribbons was folded over itself inside the box. The velvet lining of the tiny chest rubbed against my fingers as I touched the ribbons.

"They're—"

"Like the ones I gifted my niece. I.." he hesitated but continued, "I asked the mage if there was a way that it wouldn't hurt when they were removed, but unfortunately magic has a limit."

I smiled and nodded. "Thank you. Truly."

I stared at the the ribbons while he bowed and didn't notice when he left. I also didn't notice when Grimm returned. He had a grin on his face after he leaned in to kiss me on the cheek.

"I missed you, my love."

I smiled back, beckoning for him to kiss me again. "I missed you too." I say against his lips.

"What's this?" He points to the little box before grabbing the ribbons. I panic for a second, no I can't let them be taken away— goddess no please.

"Woah, slow your breathing. I'm sorry I should have asked to touch them. I forgot." Grimm looked worried as he placed the ribbons back in my lap, he knelt beside my throne and pressed a kiss to my temple. "I'm sorry love. I'm so sorry."

I regained control of my breathing. I wasn't a slave anymore, I was allowed to have things.

"It's alright. I'm still working on getting better."

Grimm smiled and placed his hand on my knee. "And I am so proud of you. You're so brave."

I pressed my lips to his, reveling in the ability to kiss my mate—one I never thought I'd have—whenever I wanted. When I pulled back I looked into his eyes. "Will you help me put them on?"

I held up the ribbons and for a second Grimm just stared. Then his eyes widened in understanding. He slid around to the ground by my feet and began to roll up the legs of my pants. He was grinning like a child and it made my heart flutter. Soon he was holding out one hand to me. I placed a ribbon in it and he began wrapping it around my foot.

His fingers worked with precision trained into him from a young age. When he reached my calf and the end of the ribbon he tied it in a neat little knot. It seemed almost instantaneous that the muscle of my calf slid back down to place. I could nearly feel my tendon sew itself back together under the shining light of the ribbons magic. Grimm was quick to snatch the other one from my waiting hand, wasting no time in wrapping my left leg. When he was done it wasn't as quick of a result as the one before. The glowing light started slow and dim but gradually brightened. I could feel tension leave my leg. Bones slid back into place and skin smoothed over.

When the light died Grimm held out his hands. I gripped them with all my strength as he pulled me to my feet. I held onto him for balance but took a few tentative steps. My legs held underneath me.

I looked up into the eyes of my mate to find them full of tears. Seeing him cry only brought tears to my own eyes.

"You're so beautiful." He whispered before pulling me tight to his chest. He lifted me in his hug and spun us around. The both of us laughed our tears away.

He let me go and led me down the steps of the dais. As soon as I was on level floor I let go of one of his hands and watched my feet. They moved freely and gracefully. I couldn't help the overwhelming joy that spread up my spine and into my chest. I looked back to my mate.

"Would you dance with me?"

He smiled. "I would rather do nothing more."

__________

We danced until we were notified it was time to hold court. I only was a little disappointed, but dancing on my feet after years and months of not being able to do more than hobble was tiring.

Once we settled into our thrones—which Grimm had pushed flush together so he could hold my hand—the first guest was allowed in. Grimm was halfway out of his chair and holding my hand tightly. He ran his thumb over my knuckles and I was content to watch him jitter with some mysterious energy.

The couple who approached looked vaguely familiar. They had curly hair and little horns sticking from their head. Their legs, though clothed, could be seen to be bent like that of a goats. Grimm was smiling wildly at them. The couple knelt.

"We thank you for gracing us with your presence, Alpha and Luna." The man said.

I nodded. "Of course."

"You May approach." Grimm said and I looked at him suspiciously. I thought everyone was supposed to stay at the bottom of the dais.

The man and woman did, but still remained a few feet away. The man knelt and held out a little box to Grimm. My mate took it and stared at it a moment before rising and coming to kneel once again before me.

He looked at me so sweetly before holding out the box and opening it. I stared at the little ring inside. It was delicate gold and had little diamonds in the band. It looked like stars. He slid it gently onto my finger. It was the perfect size.

Grimm didn't have to say anything for me to throw my arms around his neck. "Thank you."

He smiled but when he pulled back he took me with him. I sat on his lap in his throne. "Thank you both for your help." Grimm said.

The woman cleared her throat though her husband spoke. "We actually have one more thing for you your Majesty."

Grimm raised a brow. The woman held out another box but this time she held it to me. I took it and held it where both Grimm and I could see. With a little hesitation I opened it up.

Inside I found Princeps eyes. Or the color of them. It was the ring I had seen at that market so long ago, the one I had wanted to give to Grimm. I felt tears spring to my eyes.

"We did not realize who you were until this morning when we saw the band on the Alpha's finger. We knew of the Alphas mate once being a slave but when we noticed the band we realized it had to be you Luna."

I sniffled. Taking the ring, I grabbed Grimm's gigantic hand. With all the love I could show I slid the band around his finger. It shone just as bright as that copper band I had spent my two pennies on. The rings on neighboring fingers made me happy.

I kissed where it touched his skin, where his finger met palm and where his palm met wrist.

"It's the color of Princeps' eyes." I murmured. "I saw it and was reminded of you, even if I didn't know who Princeps was."

I could hear and feel Grimm purring in pleasure behind me. "I love you so much."

I smiled back at him. Allowing myself to look at him. His features had grown so familiar to me in the past six months and yet every time I looked at him I was finding new love. He pressed his forehead to mine and I was content to stay pressed against his body. I had found my mate and my forever onward.

I'm safe. I'm loved. I'm ready to be happy.

A|N: the end. Guys I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I loved writing it! I really just die for a good Cinderella retelling and I hope this checked that box for you.
I love you all and thanks for sticking around to the end.

<3
Crucible

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.1K 2.1K 64
At 16, Chase has felt more pain than any one person should ever feel. His past continues to haunt him even though his life now is filled with love, f...
337K 23.4K 44
A grumpy boy Cinderella and a childish prince-what could possibly go wrong?! Cinder is a young shoemaker who just wants to do his job. The only one t...
18.9K 1.1K 76
Part 1: Today was supposed to be my fairytale day. My perfect wedding day. I made my way to David, he took my hand in his, walking us closer to the l...
331K 13.3K 22
[IN EDITING] Book One in the 'Happily Ever After' series Ever since Adrien's stepmother passed away, his family abused and took advantage of him. He...