The Slytherin Rose

By Papillon98

The perfect Slytherin was hard to find. Everyone had their own notions about what being a true Slytherin requ... More

Book I: The Philosopher's Stone
Chapter I: The Plan of Faith
Chapter II: The Pride of a Slytherin
Chapter III: The Gryffindor Seeker
Chapter IV: The Failed Expulsion
Chapter V: The Mysterious Bite
Chapter VI: The Philosopher's Stone
Chapter VIII: The Easy Trap
Chapter IX: The Truth Comes Out

Chapter VII: The Blood of a Unicorn

1.9K 56 2
By Papillon98

Chapter VII:

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

"Just a question, and I don't mean anything by it," said Rosaline, "but are you sure Hagrid can keep a secret?"

The others had just informed her that "Fluffy" the three-headed dog was Hagrid's and that the gamekeeper had assured them that only he and Dumbledore knew how to get past the beast. They said this somewhere in between, "we met Hagrid in the library" and "he has gotten hold of a dragon egg", which was quite the story.

"Where even did he get a dragon egg?" said Rosaline with a sigh as she was planning out her studying schedule for the next few weeks. Exams were drawing nearer, and she needed better than excellent grades if she was to officially become Professor Snape's official teaching assistant.

"He was in Hogsmeade, and won it in some card game," said Hermione with an annoyed drawl.

"There just happened to be someone with a dragon egg playing cards in Hogsmeade?" Said Rosaline, sounding very suspicious, " - and they just happened to meet Hagrid who is notorious for trying to protect and take care of those type of creatures. And not only that, but I bet Hagrid was drunk?"

"Now, Rosaline, Hagrid is not - " defended Harry immediately.

"I just find it all a bit suspicious," she said calmly, raising her hands in surrender. "It's just too much of a coincidence if you asked me. But this is actually why we need to be sure that Hagrid hasn't told anyone how to get past Fluffy. Because I know secrets tend to be revealed when alcohol is involved." She shrugged, then she thought of another argument, "Furthermore, this man with the dragon egg must've pretended to be just as passionate about magical creatures as Hagrid is. What if, in passing, Hagrid has mentioned Fluffy and how he tamed him?"

"Hagrid wouldn't do that," said Hermione fiercely, "he knows how important this is."

"Yeah," said Rosaline, rolling her eyes, "just like he knew how important it was to not tell anybody about Nicholas Flamel, but then here we are."

While the Gryffindors made an effort to try and get rid of the dragon, Rosaline was unable to help. One, because a Slytherin conspiring with a couple of Gryffindors was highly suspicious. Two, because Snape was keeping an extra eye on her since she told him about Quirrell. Like she was going to let her Head of House know what she knew. After all, things were starting to look mightily suspicious. Three, because everyone was still not over the whole "Slytherin Rose" thing and she seemed to be followed around by people wherever she went. Unable to catch a moment alone. She figured it was safer for everyone involved if she backed up a bit and let the Gryffindors figure it out themselves.

However, as was proven that following Saturday, Gryffindors were useless. Malfoy had somehow found out about the dragon, even worse, had known the exact time and place that Charlie Weasley was coming to pick the dragon up, and had set Harry, Ron and Hermione up to be caught by Filch. There had been some collateral damage as poor Neville Longbottom had overheard Malfoy and had gone to warn Harry, having been caught before he could. And now, Gryffindor was down hundred-fifty points, as Professor McGonagall had taken fifty points each from Harry, Hermione and Neville. And the three of them, plus Malfoy had earned a detention.

Poor Neville Longbottom.

She had found him sobbing in an abandoned classroom, saying everybody hated him now more than they normally did. And that all he had been trying to do was help Harry, because he had always been such a good friend. "You were very brave, Neville," said Rosaline, comforting him, "you did what you thought was right. However, sometimes the consequences are less than pleasant. It will pass."

"Filch is making us go into the Forbidden Forest for our detention," sobbed Neville, "at night, Rosaline, in the dark."

"They wouldn't needlessly endanger children, Neville, I am sure you'll be perfectly safe."

Neville didn't seem convinced, nor even remotely comforted.

"How about this," she said, "would you feel better if I came along?"

Neville nodded miserably, "but you don't have detention?"

"That can be easily fixed, Neville," she said with a mischievous grin.

Now, the rumour as to what Rosaline had actually done to earn her a detention was quite rampant and inaccurate, as everybody seemed to disagree. A few Ravenclaws were sure Rosaline had angered Snape, whereas two fourth-year Gryffindors rejected that idea, saying that Rosaline needed to have done quite a bit of damage before Snape would give detention to one of his own. However, whatever the rumour mill had decided on was of little importance to Rosaline herself, as she only cared about her mission having succeeded.

And that's how she ended up in the Forbidden Forest, at midnight, with Neville and Malfoy, and Fang the dog for company. They were looking for a unicorn, either dead or dying. The path on which they were walking had a spat of silver Unicorn blood every few feet, and they just followed the trail.

"Could a werewolf have done this?" Whimpered Neville, pointing at another splash of the silvery blue substance against a tree bark.

Rosaline shook her head, "Not likely, they wouldn't be fast enough."

"Then, what kind of creature is fast enough?" Questioned Malfoy, looking equally as terrified as Neville did, although he attempted to hide it.

"No clue," said Rosaline quietly, "I have never heard of a unicorn being wounded. They are incredibly powerful, magical creatures. There are very few creatures who would even attempt to attack a unicorn. Even the most bloodthirsty of creatures prefer to leave unicorns alone."

They walked in silence for a while, and then she heard it. Something was slithering over dead leaves nearby; It sounded like a cloak trailing along the ground. Rosaline pulled Neville and Malfoy back, putting a finger against her mouth to tell them to be quiet. She squinted up the dark path, but after a few seconds, the sound faded away.

"There's something here," she whispered.

"A werewolf?" Quivered Malfoy, pulling at her arm, clasping it tightly.

"No, not a werewolf, and not a unicorn either. It's something that's not supposed to be here."

They followed the path further into the woods, every once in awhile, they would find some Unicorn blood, but still no unicorn. Seemed it had gotten quite far, despite being wounded. With a shiver running down her back Rosaline wondered whether it had been chased. That whoever was killing the unicorns, took pleasure in the hunt.

Rosaline thought she heard something else and paused, listening carefully. Something was moving just behind the next tree line, too dark to make out. It was moving away from them, following this unicorn's trail. She was so focused on the figure that she jumped in surprise when Neville screamed. Turning around immediately, she saw a laughing Malfoy, pointing at a trembling Neville. He was in stitches, rolling around on the floor. Neville had his wand in hand, just having sent sparks up in the air as a warning signal. He had yet to lower the wand.

"Did you pee your pants, Longbottom?" Laughed Malfoy, "Is that what you're supposed Gryffindor courage got you?"

"Malfoy!" She hissed. "Now the whole Forest knows where we are. What if whatever is killing the unicorns finds us before Hagrid does?" She was furious. The figure behind the trees now most definitely knew they were there. It was probably watching them.

Malfoy was still laughing. The only explanation she had for his death wish what that he had been so terrified that he now tried to regain composure by making Neville lose his. Not exactly good survival instincts.

The hairs on the back of her neck were standing up, she felt watched. She immediately moved over to Neville protectively. "Neville," she whispered, "we are being watched. Keep your wand at the ready." She clasped his hand in hopes of giving him some courage and he did seem to relax slightly and hold his wand more determinedly as she did so.

Malfoy must've realised how tense the other two were, staring into the distance as he had stopped laughing, getting quickly to his feet, wand raised.

"What are you - "

"Be quiet!" ordered Rosaline, never taking her eyes away from where she knew the figure was hiding. "It's not a creature," She whispered to the others, "it isn't a creature that killed the unicorns. It's a wizard. So, unless you want to be next. Shut it."

Finally, Hagrid found them, appearing from behind a tree line, rushing towards them with big steps. "What happened? Are yeh hurt?"

"No," said Malfoy, squaring up defensively, "Longbottom just can't take a joke."

"Come on, now, I left Harry and Hermione alone."

They followed him back to where Harry and Hermione were standing alone in the dark. "We'll be lucky to catch anythin' now, with the racket they were making. Right, we're changin' groups - Neville, you stay with me an' Hermione. Harry, Rosaline, you go with Fang an' this idiot. I'm sorry," he added to them in a whisper. "But he'll have a harder time frightenin' you, an' we've gotta get this done."

They walked for nearly half an hour, deeper and deeper into the Forest, until the path became almost impossible to follow because the trees were so thick. "The blood seems to be getting thicker," said Rosaline, rubbing some between her fingers. They were getting close now. She could tell, for the ring on her finger was warming up in warning, "The unicorn must've been in terrible pain when it passed through here. Look at the way the blood is spattered -" She threw out her arm, to stop Harry and Malfoy, "Look - "

Something bright white was gleaming on the ground. They inched closer. Its long, slender legs were stuck out at odd angles where it had fallen, and its mane was spread pearly-white on the dark leaves. The unicorn was most definitely dead, which didn't come as surprise as they had seen how much blood it had lost and how far it had managed to get before giving out.

The ring was hot now, flashing pink. Harry took a step forward, but Rosaline quickly pulled him back. A familiar slithering sound made Rosaline's heart drop. A bush on the edge of the clearing quivered...Then, out of the shadows, a hooded figure came crawling across the grounds like some stalking beast. The cloaked figure reached the unicorn, lowered its head over the wound in the animal's side and began to drink its blood.

"AAAAAARGH!" Malfoy let out a terrible scream and bolted - so did Fang. The ring on her finger was white-hot now, death seemed close. The hooded figure raised its head and looked right at them. Unicorn blood was dribbling down its front. It got to its feet and came swiftly towards them. Their end was near.

Suddenly, Harry staggered backwards, his eyes shut tightly, a hand clutching his forehead, like a sudden fierce migraine had lowered his defences. Rosaline did the only things she could think of, holding out the hand where her ring was now shaking with power. It worked, the figure let out a spine-chilling screech as the light hit it, blinded by it, and backed away slightly. Just out of reach from the light. A moment later, something jumped over her, charging at the figure and it was forced to retreat back into the darkness.

The thing that had come to their defence, turned out to be a centaur. Rosaline had never met one in real life, but it wasn't difficult to recognise a half-man, half-horse as such. He had white-blonde hair and a palomino body. "Are you all right?" The centaur asked, glancing down at her ring, watching as it darkened again, Rosaline's fingers no longer feeling like they were going to be burned off. "Peculiar amulet you've got there," He said absent-mindedly. "Made by a very capable wizard."

"My grandmother charmed it," Rosaline said, her voice a bit quiet after the ordeal.

His astonishingly blue eyes sparkled. They reminded her of pale sapphires. "Ah, yes, you must be one of Fortunade Lestrange's granddaughters," Rosaline nodded. "She has always been an exemplary amulet-maker. I should have recognised it as one of hers."

Next to her, Harry seemed to have overcome whatever it was that had happened to his head, and he struggled to his feet. "What was that?" The centaur didn't answer Harry's question. He looked carefully at Harry, his eyes lingering on the scar that stood out, burning red, on Harry's forehead.

"You are the Potter boy." He said. "You had better get back to Hagrid. The forest is not safe at this time - especially for you. Can you ride? It will be quicker this way." He lowered himself on to his front legs so that the children could clamber onto his back. "My name is Firenze."

There was suddenly a sound of more galloping from the other side of the clearing. A dark centaur and a red-haired one came bursting through the trees, their flanks heaving and sweaty. "Firenze!" The dark one thundered. "What are you doing? You have humans on your back! Have you no shame? Are you a common mule?"

"Do you realise who this is?" Said Firenze. "This is the Potter boy. The quicker he and his friend leave this Forest, the better."

"What have you been telling them?" Growled the dark centaur. "Remember, Firenze, we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens. Have we not read what is to come in the movements of the planets?"

The red-haired one pawed the ground nervously. "Bane, I'm sure Firenze thought he was acting for the best." He said in a gloomy voice.

The dark-haired one named Bane kicked his back legs in anger. "For the best, Ronan! What is that to do with us? Centaurs are concerned with what has been foretold! It is not our business to run around like donkeys after stray humans in our Forest!"

Firenze suddenly reared on to his hind legs, so Harry had to hold on to his neck while Rosaline tried to cling to his cloak. "Do you not see the unicorn?" Firenze bellowed at Bane. "Do you not understand why it was killed? Or have the planets not let you in on that secret? I set myself against what is lurking in this forest, Bane, yes, with humans alongside me if I must." And Firenze whisked around with the children clutching on as best as they could, they plunged off into the trees, leaving Ronan and Bane behind them.

"Why is Bane so angry?" Harry asked. "What was that thing you saved us from, anyway?" Firenze slowed to a walk but did not answer his question. They made their way through the trees in silence, passing through a particularly dense patch of trees, however, when Firenze suddenly stopped. "Harry Potter, do you know what unicorn blood is used for?"

"No," he said. "We've only used the horn and tail hair in Potions."

"My mother says it's a monstrous thing, to slay a unicorn," Rosaline said, remembering something her mother had once told her. "Only the truly desperate would kill a unicorn. Someone with nothing to lose, and everything to gain."

"The blood of a unicorn will keep you alive, even if you are an inch from death, but at a terrible price. You have slain something pure and defenceless to save yourself, and you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips." Firenze explained.

"But who'd be that desperate?" Harry wondered out loud. "If you're going to be cursed forever, death's better, isn't it?"

"It is." Firenze agreed. "Unless all you need is to stay alive long enough to drink something else - something that will bring you back to full strength and power - something that will mean you can never die. Mr Potter, do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?"

"The Philosopher's Stone! Of course - the Elixir of Life! But I don't understand who - "

"Can you think of nobody who has waited many years to return to power, who has clung to life, awaiting their chance?"

A bucket of ice-cold water seemed to have been doused over Rosaline as she realised who he referred to. They had just witnessed what was left of Voldemort. The proof that he was still alive, or somewhere near it. The knowledge made her skin crawl. A childhood of terror after the death of her father. The desperation from her mother to educate her daughter in the difference between good and evil. The uselessness of Pureblood Supremacy. The pain it had inflicted.

Her parents had both been groomed to be Death Eaters. They were the perfect candidates. Pure-blooded, powerful and brilliant, grown up with traditional Death Eater values. But they had refused to engage in war. Her father had refused to choose a side, not able to go against his family, but also unable to join them. He had taken a leave of absence from his work as he went into hiding. Afraid his brother would come for him and make him join the Death Eaters. Her mother had been firmly on Dumbledore's side, but remained quite passive in her fight. She aided the Light where she could but never actively fought the Dark. She says she regrets that now, but at the time she had picked Rosaline's health and safety over what she thought was right.

However, her mother knew the Dark Lord wasn't dead. That it wasn't over, and she assured Rosaline once, years ago, that if another war broke out. She'd join the Light without question, even if it resulted in her death. And that she hoped, that when Rosaline was old enough to make that decision for herself, that she'd be willing to do the same.

"Harry! Rosaline! Are you all right?" Hermione was running towards them down the path, Hagrid puffing along behind her.

"We're fine," said Harry. "The unicorn's dead, Hagrid, it's in that clearing back there."

"This is where I leave you." Firenze murmured as Hagrid scurried off to examine the unicorn. "You are safe now." Rosaline and Harry slid off his back. "Good luck Harry Potter. The planets have been read wrongly before now, even by centaurs. I hope this is one of those times." He turned and cantered back into the depths of the Forbidden Forest.

"Hey, Hagrid," Rosaline caught his attention as he led them back to the castle. Neville had returned to the Gryffindor common room before Hagrid and Hermione went to find Rosaline and Harry. Meanwhile, Malfoy was nowhere to be found, but Fang had been waiting by Hagrid's Hut, so they figured he had run all the way back to the Slytherin dungeons.

Harry and Hermione were out of earshot as Harry was filling his fellow Gryffindor in on what they had seen.

"You know that night you won that dragon egg, what did the stranger you got it from look like?"

"That's outta ter blue, Rosaline," said Hagrid in surprise, "But dunno, he wouldn' take his cloak off."

The figure in the dark cloak flashed through her mind, she could almost see it coming at her again.

"What did you talk to him about Hagrid?" Said Rosaline, finding it quite hard to breathe as a sinking feeling pressed down on her stomach. "Did you mention Hogwarts?"

"Mighta come up," said Hagrid, frowning as he tried to remember. "Yeah...he asked what I did...an' I told him I was gamekeeper here...He asked a bit about the sorta creatures I look after ... so I told him ... an' I said what I'd always really wanted was a dragon ... an' then ... I can' remember too well, 'cause he kept buyin' me drinks ... Let's see ... yeah, then he said he had the dragon egg an' we could play cards fer it if I wanted ... but he had ter be sure I could handle it, he didn' want it ter go ter any old home ... So, I told him, after Fluffy, a dragon would be easy ..."

"And did he - did he seem interested in Fluffy?" Rosaline asked, trying to keep her voice calm.

"Well - yeah - how many three-headed dogs d'yeh meet, even around Hogwarts? So, I told him, Fluffy's a piece o' cake if yeh know how to calm him down, jus' play him a bit o' music an' he'll go straight off ter sleep - "

Hagrid suddenly looked horrified, just as they reached the Entrance Hall. "I shouldn'ta told yeh that!" he blurted out. "Forget I said it!"

They had a problem, a big problem, Hagrid's protection of the Stone was now useless. Things were going to come to a head soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 4.3K 74
Y/n Alwyn, a pure blood witch. Born and raised in the small town of Drinea, muggle life, basic bullies, knows nothing of the wizard world. Well unti...
225K 8K 47
Severus let out a small sigh. "Don't you want a place you can truly call home? Somewhere that's just for us? When we retire, I promise I'll get us a...
55.4K 1.1K 20
(Completed) Iris and Harry live with the Dursleys' together. Harry sleeps in the cupboard under the stairs. Iris sleeps in the basement with the mice...
210K 5.6K 108
Everyone knew the clichΓ©. It wasn't a secret. Cold hearted Slytherin falls for a warm and overly loud Gryffindor. That wasn't Beatrice's case. She w...